• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

The Event is brilliant.

It's very clever and the writers aren't afraid of making any game changing moves. You won't find yourself shouting at the screen as a character does something stupid. I highly recommend it. Definitely one of my favourite tv shows.

Drewsky

Cipherr said:
OTOH Ive blazed through Breaking Bad, and Im very unimpressed. It has had a moment or two here and there, but this just doesnt seem to stand in the league of stuff like Mad Men, The Wire, The Shield, etc etc. Its not a bad show, but it was being called excellent, and IMO its definitely not.
Really? Breaking Bad is the best show on TV right now.

_Bro

Banned
Started to watch Dead Like Me on Netflix and turned it off. Hate everything about that show.

However, The Shield got in today and I just watched the first episode. Holy shit, am I in for a ride?

Nizz

Drewsky said:
Just finished The Shield tonight. Jesus, such an amazing show. And the ending was the best ending to a TV show that I have ever seen.

One of my new favorites, absolutely no doubt.
Yeah, that show was imo the best thing ever on Tuesday nights when it was out. Loved it. :)

One show that's become a guilty pleasure and am probably the only one on this forum who's watching it is "Being Human" on sy-fy (I hate spelling it that way).

I'm watching the US version. I understand it's based on a version from the BBC. It's a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost living together in a house. I heard the premise at first and it sounded like a bad joke. But I'm surprised I'm digging the show.

Doesn't hurt that the show airs on Mondays when there's usually nothing on at 9:00pm that interests me. Show started airing in January, I'm guessing it might be close to its season finale.

rs7k

I want to watch something like Big Bang Theory, I've watched every episode there is and I need something that's at least close to being as good as that show.

rs7k said:
I want to watch something like Big Bang Theory, I've watched every episode there is and I need something that's at least close to being as good as that show.

Have you watched How I met your mother? I'd say I prefer Big Bang Theory but HIMYM is pretty good on it's own, when it's on top form it's hilarious. If you haven't definitely check it out.

Spotless Mind said:
Kalinda is one of the best characters on tv at the moment and makes it worth watching for her alone.

anaron said:
Totally. I just recently got into the show and absolutely love her.

<3 She manages to be mysterious, alluring, badarse, sexy, vulnerable and brilliant all at the same time.

big ander

Enco said:
The Event is brilliant.

It's very clever and the writers aren't afraid of making any game changing moves. You won't find yourself shouting at the screen as a character does something stupid. I highly recommend it. Definitely one of my favourite tv shows.
Really? All I've heard are awful, horrible things. Even my friend who will watch anything sci-fi and love it says it's the worst thing he's seen in years. I heard one of the recent episodes was good, but other than that my perception of it has been that it's one of the worst series to come on TV in a long time.
rs7k said:
Well, a lot of these aren't like BBT, but I consider BBT to be mediocre at best and detestable at worst. All of these shows are far and away superior, and some are so much better that I feel wrong comparing them to BBT: Scrubs, Modern Family, Community, Cougar Town, (classic) The Office US, The Office UK, Extras, HIMYM, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Onion News Network, Portlandia, The IT Crowd, Party Down, Arrested Development, The League, Archer, Raising Hope.
Can't think of any more that I've seen, but I'm sure there are more. I'd say the closest to BBT are The IT Crowd and HIMYM, but those are towards the bottom of the ones I listed even.

Ashhong

Enco said:
The Event is brilliant.

Joke? Did the show get 200% better after the winter break? Because they did something stupid every episode in the beginning.

Enco

Ashhong said:
Joke? Did the show get 200% better after the winter break? Because they did something stupid every episode in the beginning.
big ander said:
Really? All I've heard are awful, horrible things. Even my friend who will watch anything sci-fi and love it says it's the worst thing he's seen in years. I heard one of the recent episodes was good, but other than that my perception of it has been that it's one of the worst series to come on TV in a long time.
Well, a lot of these aren't like BBT, but I consider BBT to be mediocre at best and detestable at worst. All of these shows are far and away superior, and some are so much better that I feel wrong comparing them to BBT: Scrubs, Modern Family, Community, Cougar Town, (classic) The Office US, The Office UK, Extras, HIMYM, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Onion News Network, Portlandia, The IT Crowd, Party Down, Arrested Development, The League, Archer, Raising Hope.
Can't think of any more that I've seen, but I'm sure there are more. I'd say the closest to BBT are The IT Crowd and HIMYM, but those are towards the bottom of the ones I listed even.
It's kinda like a mixture of Lost, 24 and Prison Break. I loved those three shows and The Event has plot points that I enjoy (e.g. conspiracy). I haven't really looked too far into it but I've been really enjoying it.

An-Det

I finally finishd all seven seasons of The Outer Limits last night. Overall, it was a great show. There were some real stinkers in there, but overall the show was consistently good. Seeing all the guest stars was always cool, plenty of 'hey, it's that guy!' moments.

Not sure what to watch next now. I kinda want to go back to The X-Files, since only got 2 or 3 sesasons in before I had to start on BSG for school and then Lost before that finale last year. I've also wanted to do all the Star Trek series' in order, but that's a huge commitment when there are many options like Fringe, Breaking Bad, and tons of others waiting.

big ander

Enco said:
It's kinda like a mixture of Lost, 24 and Prison Break. I loved those three shows and The Event has plot points that I enjoy (e.g. conspiracy). I haven't really looked too far into it but I've been really enjoying it.
I've seen Lost and 24 (minus season 8) and season 1 of Prison Break. 24 will always be a sentimental favorite of mine because it was one of the first shows I really followed. Lost is one of my favorite shows. But the pilot of The Event (all I could get through) was different from those because it didn't have any characters. Just "players" in a conspiracy that I'm sure got even more ridiculous. The mysteries and action in Lost and 24 are fun, but when you take the characters out they're just boring.

Kraftwerk said:
Just finishes Season 1 of Breaking Bad.

LOVE IT.

I assume it only gets better ? :D
I remember liking season 1 more than season 2, but I can't recall why exactly. But season 3 is definitely the best of the three. Phenomenal.

~Kinggi~

Banned
An-Det said:
I finally finishd all seven seasons of The Outer Limits last night. Overall, it was a great show. There were some real stinkers in there, but overall the show was consistently good. Seeing all the guest stars was always cool, plenty of 'hey, it's that guy!' moments.

Not sure what to watch next now. I kinda want to go back to The X-Files, since only got 2 or 3 sesasons in before I had to start on BSG for school and then Lost before that finale last year. I've also wanted to do all the Star Trek series' in order, but that's a huge commitment when there are many options like Fringe, Breaking Bad, and tons of others waiting.
The X-Files is amazing when sitting down to watch the whole series and the movies. The first 2 seasons or so however definitely dont stand up as well from the production standpoint like the later seasons do. The early episodes are still very interesting however and have a lot of qualities to them. Plus, the show is really about having the two best partners on TV. Characters were great in the X Files.

ciD_Vain

Just finished Blood and Sand as well as Gods of The Arena. It's such an entertaining show.

w15kc1.jpg

overcast

Is the wire on instant? I've wanted to watch it for a long time. Don't have a legitimate netflix account, my friend is lending me it.

Kraftwerk said:
Just finishes Season 1 of Breaking Bad.

LOVE IT.

I assume it only gets better ? :D

I really liked season 1 of Breaking Bad, but I LOVED seasons 2 and 3. I can't wait to rewatch them, but I'm saving it until season 4 is just about to start (I actually have no idea when it's supposed to premiere...hopefully soon :/ )

This is one of those shows that I hope doesn't run for too long. I hope the writers don't drag everything out for too long and dilute the quality of the show.

overcast said:
Is the wire on instant? I've wanted to watch it for a long time. Don't have a legitimate netflix account, my friend is lending me it.
Nothing HBO is on instant. Sadly, it probably never will be either. Disc only. That is how my wife and I watched Rome, one lil disc at a time.

Kraftwerk

Breaking Bad - Finished Season 2.

Man, what a great show. Goddamn I was not expecting that.

So, what are my options as to watching season 3? I'm In Canada so no hulu or w/e.

Kraftwerk said:
So, what are my options as to watching season 3? I'm In Canada so no hulu or w/e.
DVD and blu-ray are out June 7th. Unfortunately, I think they're at the tail end of rebroadcasting S3 on AMC, and I don't know if there's another legal way to watch them at the moment.

Kraftwerk said:

SPOILERS FOR BREAKING BAD SEASON 2 FINALE:
Just curious, were you a bit let down at the revelation of the crime scene? I was hoping for it to be a chemical accident or something extremely compromising for Walt. I felt as though the writers were deliberately misleading viewers, and I don't really appreciate that.

Still, fantastic season.

As for season 3, the only option I can think of would be Netflix, but I don't know how thorough the Canadian selection is.

Kraftwerk

Cornballer said:
DVD and blu-ray are out June 7th. Unfortunately, I think they're at the tail end of rebroadcasting S3 on AMC, and I don't know if there's another legal way to watch them at the moment.

"weeps"

I guess I'll use the last of my tax return and get The Wire Boxset. That another show i NEED to see.

p.s The Wire will never come on bluray will it?

Kraftwerk

Summary Man said:
SPOILERS FOR BREAKING BAD SEASON 2 FINALE:
Just curious, were you a bit let down at the revelation of the crime scene? I was hoping for it to be a chemical accident or something extremely compromising for Walt. I felt as though the writers were deliberately misleading viewers, and I don't really appreciate that.

Still, fantastic season.

As for season 3, the only option I can think of would be Netflix, but I don't know how thorough the Canadian selection is.

I will be lying if I said no. I also thought it was some sort of chemical accident.

EDIT: Pardon the consecutive posts.

big ander

Kraftwerk said:

Amazon Video On Demand? You have to pay to buy it basically, but it's yours to "keep".

Net_Wrecker said:
There are lots of 4:3 films on Blu. It's more to do with whether or not putting it in HD will make it look any better or not.

Ah, forgive my ignorance, then. I was under the impression that it would be impossible to put The Wire onto Blu-ray due to the method of filming. Not the first time I've been wrong or misinformed, however. ;)

- Inside HBO's The Wire
And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
From my understanding, it'd be possible for them to release a 16:9 HD version of The Wire, but they'd have to go back to the original film to do it and that would be cost prohibitive.

big ander

Kraftwerk said:
;____;

Canada.
I didn't know if they had amazonvod up there or not :(
Al-ibn Kermit said:
The Event takes a few episodes to get into, then it steps it up.
I only know one person who still watches it, but between him and the AV club reviews I got the impression it stayed pretty horrible. Except for one episode, I think it was a recent one. Friend said that a couple annoying characters were sidelined and only interesting stuff happened.

TripOpt55

I just finished up Season 2 of The Wire. It took a little bit to get going, but I really enjoyed it in the second half particularly. Also, the last episode has me excited to watch more. Going to have to bug my friend to let me borrow Season 3.

Drewsky

TripOpt55 said:
I just finished up Season 2 of The Wire. It took a little bit to get going, but I really enjoyed it in the second half particularly. Also, the last episode has me excited to watch more. Going to have to bug my friend to let me borrow Season 3.
Get ready. S3 is my favorite season of any TV show ever.

I'm in the middle of Season 2 of Dead Like Me. Seasons 1 & 2 are all up on Hulu, and I've been enjoying this show greatly! Sucks that it's cancelled.

Seems that all the shows I like, I discover them too late, and they have already been cancelled... The Dresden Files... Firefly... Dead Like Me...

Even though Fringe got renewed for a 4th season (THANK JEEBUS), I'm still worried the show is "on the bubble" of cancellation.

And I was also finally starting to get into SGU, too...

OH WELL.

Cipherr

TripOpt55 said:

S2 was the weakest of all 5 seasons imo. Your about to get your shit rocked :p

Recon

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
I'm in the middle of Season 2 of Dead Like Me. Seasons 1 & 2 are all up on Hulu, and I've been enjoying this show greatly! Sucks that it's cancelled.

Seems that all the shows I like, I discover them too late, and they have already been cancelled... The Dresden Files... Firefly... Dead Like Me...

Even though Fringe got renewed for a 4th season (THANK JEEBUS), I'm still worried the show is "on the bubble" of cancellation.

And I was also finally starting to get into SGU, too...

OH WELL.

I really felt it wasnt as good when Mandy Patinkin left, i felt the same about Criminal Minds after he left that show too...

AAequal

Banned
Started watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia again and currently I'm on s4. Second best comedy show on the tv at the moment (Curb is no. 1 of course).
3WfPj.png

TripOpt55

Drewsky said:
Get ready. S3 is my favorite season of any TV show ever.

Cipherr said:

icarus-daedelus said:
Season 2 is my favorite season of The Wire. It's pretty much a standalone season, though, as they don't really return to any of the characters or topics introduced in it later on. But 3 and 4 are excellent nonetheless, so you've got plenty to look forward to.
Cool. I'm excited to check more out. My friend just dropped off Seasons 3 and 4 for me today, so I will dig into 3 tonight. I may squeeze FNL Season 5 in between them though if I pick it up this week.

I'm on season 2 on my Wire rewatch and I'm confused on a couple of points:
When and how did the detail get a clone of the dockers' computer?
How did Kima know who Proposition Joe was?
Why don't they need to witness the dude's cellphone the detail tapped to listen to a call? Back in season one, they had to have a witness to see the call being made before the detail could listen. Why is it different for a cellphone?

Jay Sosa

Catching up on Chuck and Community, Chuck has become a bit predictable and stale but it's still a good show.

Community would be even better without the moral of the story shit. I haven't seen that ever since Urkle was cancelled, at first I hoped it was meant to be sarcastic but it seems they're serious with this mushy shit.

Yeah it isn't bad or anything just feels like an entirely different show.

I'm going through Carnivale after someone mentioned it was kinda like Twin Peaks. I can see where that allusion is coming from and I'm really enjoying the show even though I'm only three episodes in. I love the setting and atmosphere around the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom