• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLG-

Snuggler said:
I might do a Mad Men rewatch but I dunno. Let's see, in terms of TV dramas I have watched:

Lost, The Wire, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Mad Men, Dexter, Breaking Bad and I'm in the process of watching Twin Peaks and The Shield. Probably forgetting a few.

Is there anything worthwhile (complete series or at least a few seasons in) that I haven't watched yet? I'm very picky when it comes to TV and I hate most network TV shit.

Battlestar Galactica.

Edit: & Friday Night Lights

StuBurns

Banned
I stopped watching Fringe mid-season two because it was sucking major balls, but I was convinced to go back to it and that'd be good a little after where I stopped, and it did. But I'm at the start of season three right now, and the 'infiltration' story line is bad, I want to know about how long it lasts to see if I should bail on the show again.

big ander

StuBurns said:
I stopped watching Fringe mid-season two because it was sucking major balls, but I was convinced to go back to it and that'd be good a little after where I stopped, and it did. But I'm at the start of season three right now, and the 'infiltration' story line is bad, I want to know about how long it lasts to see if I should bail on the show again.
Infiltration is excellent and you're letting preconceived opinions control your view of the show? I don't know, pretty much all of season 3 (minus finale) was agreed upon as being spectacular.

StuBurns

Banned
big ander said:
Infiltration is excellent and you're letting preconceived opinions control your view of the show? I don't know, pretty much all of season 3 (minus finale) was agreed upon as being spectacular.
How is it preconceived? It's being conceived in real-time. So what you're saying is it does last most of the season?

gdt

StuBurns said:
How is it preconceived? It's being conceived in real-time. So what you're saying is it does last most of the season?

Not most of the season, no.

But I usually hate that kind of character switch stuff, but Fringe pulled that off specifically quite well.

S3 is spectacular.

big ander

StuBurns said:
I'm saying it sounds like you started pretty down on the show and are just staying that way, even if the quality is great.

RC

Banned
Snuggler said:
oh indeed

so jealous that you get to watch season 4 for the first time (presumably)

Yeah, just finished watching the first episode of season 4. This show just keeps on getting better and better.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
_Isaac said:
I just started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
....meh.

I gets a lot better with season 2. Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty goddamn hilarious, I'm just rewatching them now, definitely the peak of the show.

_Isaac

Snuggler said:
I gets a lot better with season 2. Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty goddamn hilarious, I'm just rewatching them now, definitely the peak of the show.

I started with season five or so. That's what's airing on Comedy Central nowadays. :p

Snuggler said:
I still prefer Season 1. But 2 and 3 were golden. Season 5 is not the place to start.

big ander

DieNgamers said:
Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. Unbelievable production quality, both of them.
When you say production quality...what do you mean? I think Doctor Who is a good show, but if you are saying that it has great sets and special effects (like Game of Thrones) then I don't know what show you are watching.

StuBurns

Banned
big ander said:
I'm saying it sounds like you started pretty down on the show and are just staying that way, even if the quality is great.
Late reply I know. I wasn't down on the show. I loved the first season. I thought the second season sucked and I stopped watching it at Snakehead, and I mentioned this a couple of months ago to someone and they told me I stopped right about the time the second season got good, so I decided I'd give it another try, and I loved the remainder of season two.

As for season three, I've finished it now. I'm glad the storyline I mentioned didn't last long. I liked the season for the most part, I wasn't really keen on the bizarro world episodes, I didn't like either of the two main male FD agents (nor their 'real world' counterparts). There were two normal episodes I didn't like too, the two with Bell, but other than that I thought it was pretty awesome.

Unlike most of the sci-fi TV shows, every single episode felt like it was progressing the mythology. After Lost that's the kind of pace I welcome in a serialized sci-fi show. If you compared it to something like The X Files in that regard, it's just hugely more satisfying.

Started watching Fringe... which is surprisingly not too bad once you get past the terrible first episode.

Still not all that interested in the "weird shit of the week" type episodes as they dont' seem to get the development they should but its also holding my attention during this otherwise boring week.

Enco

Mad Men

Just started watching it after looking at it for a loong time. Really liking it so far.

Need to start The Wire too (watched half of the first season then lost track and stopped).

Catching up on the second half of Season 3 of Castle. Such a fun show.

I really wish they'd stop the Castle/Beckett relationship teasing. It's something that really annoys me with TV shows, they know that couples getting together isn't as interesting as the tension. Stretching it out though doesn't help matters though, just makes it annoying.

Anyway, that aside I love the chemistry between the cast. Really makes this show.

Drewsky

Enco said:
Mad Men

Just started watching it after looking at it for a loong time. Really liking it so far.

Need to start The Wire too (watched half of the first season then lost track and stopped).
I would watch these separately. Give them each there own run, that's the way I like to do it at least.

Enco

Drewsky said:
I would watch these separately. Give them each there own run, that's the way I like to do it at least.
Sounds good to me.

I'll stick with Mad Men for now.

Has it been renewed?

ivysaur12

Banned
Okay. Too bad I accidentally ordered (500) Days of Summer first... At least I have 20 television series on my instant queue.

On that note, help me choose between:

Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Arrested Development
Firefly: The Complete Series
Battlestar Galactica
Pushing Daisies
Twin Peaks
Damages
Jeremiah
Jericho
Brotherhood
Veronica Mars
Party Down
Reaper
My So-Called Life
Luther
Archer
Better Off Ted
Day Break: The Complete Series
The X-Files

I have two weeks until my job starts and I can't watch them anymore. I might be screwed.

Wow, that's a lot of great tv. My personal picks would be the following, though you can't go wrong with most of those shows.

Comedy:
Arrested D, Party Down, Archer

Drama:
FNL, Veronica Mars, Firefly, SoA, BSG

I could also break it down based on seasons if that's what you want. Some of those are pretty short, so you'd (sort of) get more bang for your buck.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:
Okay. Too bad I accidentally ordered (500) Days of Summer first... At least I have 20 television series on my instant queue.

Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Pushing Daisies
Twin Peaks
Damages
Jeremiah
Jericho
Brotherhood
Veronica Mars
Party Down
Reaper
My So-Called Life
Luther
Archer
Better Off Ted
The X-Files

I have two weeks until my job starts and I can't watch them anymore. I might be screwed.

Party Down, Arrested Development, Veronica Mars, and BSG are the four best shows in that list. Party Down is 20 30 minute episodes, Arrested Development 53 22 minute episodes, Veronica Mars 64 44 minute episodes (although the first season stands alone fairly well and is the best season, so that could knock it down to a third that length), BSG is 75 44 minute episodes.

Of the four, Arrested Development and BSG are the most important two.

Don't Google, Wiki, or otherwise look up BSG. Major spoilers abound, everywhere, even on the main Wiki article.

ivysaur12

Banned
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'm up for BSG, especially coming off of Mad Men. I need something a bit more uplifting.

I think I'll go with Veronica Mars and Arrested Development.

ivysaur12 said:
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'm up for BSG, especially coming off of Mad Men. I need something a bit more uplifting.

I think I'll go with Veronica Mars and Arrested Development.
I'd finish Firefly first and its movie, Serenity. Short but sweet series.

ivysaur12

Banned
tycoonheart said:
Never ever put Breaking Bad next to the "The Good Wife" ever again. EVER.

Just because a show is on CBS or is a "mom show" doesn't make it inherently bad. The show was one of two network series that got nominated for the Emmy!*

*Yes, I realize awards such as the Emmy don't really mean that much, but the show has gotten fantastic critical praise.

Kandinsky

Currently watching The Shield (halfway S4) and holy shit, this is some of the best TV I have ever seen,
I hate what Vic did on the pilot, i just can't like the guy because of that, just can't.

Scythian Empire said:
You clearly haven't seen Carnivale.

Yes I have. Used to be my favorite show. Brother Justin, IMO, is one of the most fierce villains to ever grace TV. Would've loved for the show to continue past Season 2.

ivysaur12 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights

Dexter
Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica

Pushing Daisies
Twin Peaks
Damages
Jeremiah
Jericho
Brotherhood
Veronica Mars
Party Down
Reaper
My So-Called Life
Luther
Archer
Better Off Ted
The X-Files

From what I've seen of these the bold are my recommendations. Start with Arrested Development, Firefly, and Archer

Jay Sosa

ninj4junpei said:
Just watched the first episode of the second season of Buffy. The season is off to an interesting start, though it seems like bitchy Buffy was only temporary. It's nice to see that Cordelia is starting to become awesome, Angel will have more of a presence, and Xander might stop just being comedic relief. I have some definite qualms with some of the writing, though.
Really? None of them did much of any importance over the summer? Then the whole deal with the Master's bones.
Seeing that the season is 22 episodes long kind of worries me, as far as pacing goes. I hear it gets better as it goes along, though.

The development of the characters is what makes the show so great and because every episode has it's own story but also does a fine job of developing the main story I never was bored once.

Also in before somebody once again says that everything after SE3 IS THE WORST SEASON EVAAAAR!!!!

Sons of Anarchy - haven't seen it yet
Friday Night Lights - Gilmore Girls meets Football
Dexter - Starts great becomes a bit repetitive
Arrested Development - Second best comedy ever (best TPB)
Firefly: The Complete Series - Have only seen the movie and a couple of episodes
Battlestar Galactica - meh, at least it seems to better than Stargate
Pushing Daisies - no idea
Twin Peaks - see SOA
Damages - see TP
Jeremiah - Is that the one with Theo and Luke? If so I really wanted to like it but it never clicked
Jericho - No idea
Brotherhood - See Damages
Veronica Mars - Pretty great, Kristen Bell is the second cutest blonde on TV ever (Firts Buffy, third Alona Tal) I have to agree that the second and third season aren't as good but still entertaining. The dude that plays Logan makes it worth to keep watching, Unfortunately the third season ends way too soon.
Party Down - Didn't find it funny at all, dunno why. I usually love kinda obscure, well written comedies.
Reaper - Kinda ok but I hate that fat guy so much I can't watch it
My So-Called Life - never heard of it
Luther - haven't watched it yet but Idris Elba alone should be good enough
Archer - pretty funny
Better Off Ted - nice ideas good script, excellent cast but not really that funny
Day Break: The Complete Series - Huh?
The X-Files - First 2 or 3 season are some of the best TV has ever produced but then they try to flesh out the characters and it gets really weird and boring.

From the shows you listed above I'd watch AD for laughs and for drama Veronica Mars or Dexter.

EDIT: Uplifting?

Well then AD for sure, even thinking about Gob and Tobias makes me smile.

Fonds

ivysaur12 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Pushing Daisies
Twin Peaks
Damages
Jeremiah
Jericho
Brotherhood
Veronica Mars
Party Down
Reaper
My So-Called Life
Luther
Archer
Better Off Ted
The X-Files

How someone hasn't bolded that one yet amazes me.

Shame on you gaf... for shame.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Scythian Empire said:
You clearly haven't seen Carnivale.
I love Carnivale, but Breaking Bad is better.

Carnivale really suffered by having the lead be whiny and unlikeable. The best part of that show was Justin, Samson, Lodz, etc.

JLG-

ivysaur12 said:

Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Dexter
Arrested Development
Battlestar Galactica
Pushing Daisies
Twin Peaks
Damages
Jeremiah
Jericho
Brotherhood
Veronica Mars
Party Down
Reaper
My So-Called Life
Luther
Archer
Better Off Ted
The X-Files

Twin Peaks
FNL

ivysaur12

Banned
I did a randomizer - Came on Sons of Anarchy.

It seems like typical FX fare (which is great). But umm... is the main character Nathan from Queer as Folk? Kind of a different role for him.

ivysaur12 said:

It seems like typical FX fare (which is great). But umm... is the main character Nathan from Queer as Folk? Kind of a different role for him.
Yup. He was on Undeclared, too.

The first season of SoA takes a while to get going, but the back half is great and S2 is superb.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Kandinsky said:
Currently watching The Shield (halfway S4) and holy shit, this is some of the best TV I have ever seen,
I hate what Vic did on the pilot, i just can't like the guy because of that, just can't.

You're in for one hell of a ride. Shit is about to get real.

ivysaur12 said:

Dude, seriously, watch Firefly. It's only fourteen episodes and a movie. Easily done with in the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom