• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewsky

Kandinsky said:
Currently watching The Shield (halfway S4) and holy shit, this is some of the best TV I have ever seen,
I hate what Vic did on the pilot, i just can't like the guy because of that, just can't.
Get ready dude, S5 is my favorite of the whole series. Amazing show.

big ander

Wait, you want uplifting? Friday Night Lights. That show is life-affirming. Can't tell if the person calling it "Gilmore Girls meets football" was slighting it. It has some of the best characterization on all of television.
Archer and Party Down and Arrested would be my three recommendations behind that.

ivysaur12 said:
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I'm up for BSG, especially coming off of Mad Men. I need something a bit more uplifting.
If you're after something uplifting, Friday Night Lights cannot possibly be beat. Pushing Daisies would also be a great choice.

ivysaur12

Banned
big ander said:
Wait, you want uplifting? Friday Night Lights. That show is life-affirming. Can't tell if the person calling it "Gilmore Girls meets football" was slighting it. It has some of the best characterization on all of television.
Archer and Party Down and Arrested would be my three recommendations behind that.

I'm doing that after SoA. It's only 39 episodes. I'm already on episode 4.

TripOpt55

I just jumped back into Breaking Bad. I had been recording the repeats on AMC, but forgot to set it one week, but it came back around again and I started watching them. I am in the middle of Season 2 now. Pretty good show. I'm enjoying it more now than at the beginning I think. Looking forward to digging into some more. I have like 4 on my DVR, so I'm going to squeeze some more in tomorrow if I can.

big ander

Jay Sosa said:
I ain't saying it's a bad show, just that it's not for me or people expecting it to be mainly about football.
Well yeah, it just uses football as a place to grow the characters and create conflict. I like that it spends about 10 minutes max actually playing football each episode. It's the little moments that matter.
And I would never feel the need for a show solely about football with how manufactured and sensationalized sports broadcasting is now. They create full narratives for the viewer.

Just finished watching the first and third season of Curb your Enthusiasm. I liked it.

Larry David rude honesty and the way he challenges a lot of social etiquettes is pretty entertaining.

How good are the other seasons?

~Kinggi~ said:
I cried a lot watching Friday Night Lights. They were happy tears.

Also, i want to fuck the coach and i aint even gay
Haha I feel ya
I'm currently watching Early Edition just for more Kyle Chandler and I'll go see Super 8 just for him too.

ivysaur12

Banned
Please tell me this stalker storyline doesn't last more than a season. This dude is making me hate Tara... who is an otherwise boring character.

EDIT: Again, Sons of Anarchy. Otherwise a great show.

EDIT 2: AND IT'S OVER!

Large Professor said:
Just finished watching the first and third season of Curb your Enthusiasm. I liked it.

Larry David rude honesty and the way he challenges a lot of social etiquettes is pretty entertaining.

How good are the other seasons?
All of them are worth watching, but the show changes. What you describe about Larry's interactions is dependent on him being around "normal" people: people with filters and a sense of propriety that Larry insists on offending.

In the later seasons, "normal" people appear less frequently, so the show gets progressively crazier. That being said, they find ways to keep it hilarious, and the last season (heavy on Seinfeld) was one of my favorites.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, does Alias go sci-fi mid-first season? Right now the story line is almost identical to season three of Fringe, and they just mentioned 'paranormal' and 'fringe science' in the same minute. It would be strange for a series to go from what it is to The X-Files meets Buffy from now on.

DJ_Lae

I've been watching Dead Like Me via Netflix the past couple of weeks. I have a few episodes left the second season.

I really enjoyed it at first, although I can't say I've been a fan of the direction of the show in the second season. The characters are getting more annoying than anything and the show just doesn't feel quite as playful as it did in the first.

Still glad I caught it, though.

StuBurns said:
Hey GAF, does Alias go sci-fi mid-first season? Right now the story line is almost identical to season three of Fringe, and they just mentioned 'paranormal' and 'fringe science' in the same minute. It would be strange for a series to go from what it is to The X-Files meets Buffy from now on.
It remains a spy/action show at heart, even though it takes some crazy, stupefying turns into sci-fi nonsense. The mythology is eerily similar to Fringe. Be prepared for lots of lazily conceived prophecies that the writers explain repeatedly and then retcon at a whim. Also keep your eye out for the mysterious number that appears everywhere!

Season 1 and 2 are the only seasons worth watching. It's a drastic downward spiral come season 3 and it retroactively makes the first 2 seasons worse.

anaron

ivysaur12 said:
Please tell me this stalker storyline doesn't last more than a season. This dude is making me hate Tara... who is an otherwise boring character.
30swv7s.jpg

No.

DJ_Lae said:
I've been watching Dead Like Me via Netflix the past couple of weeks. I have a few episodes left the second season.

I really enjoyed it at first, although I can't say I've been a fan of the direction of the show in the second season. The characters are getting more annoying than anything and the show just doesn't feel quite as playful as it did in the first.

Still glad I caught it, though.

The shows creator left after just a few episodes in season 1 due to creative differences... His departure marked a shift in tone/style/ that the show never really recovered from.

You might want to check out what he did afterwards; pushing daisies. Its less dark but its pretty much a sister show to dead like me.

Jay Sosa

finally saw the last two episodes of par, i honestly cant believe how great this show is..i just hope that they dont ruin the show with melodramatic shit or focus on lame ass characters like they did with the office. i know most of you liked season 7 but for me it was almost unbearable too watch(except the holly episodes)

also saw the last two community episodes..why in the world is the star wars one rated so low?

please dont tell me its because people are upset abed made out with whatshername?

ivysaur12

Banned
Cornballer said:
What are you going to watch after SoA S2? I don't think S3 is on Netflix yet...

I'm going to see if anyone I know has season 3 on their DVR.

Otherwise, I have the Breaking Bad DVDs coming today. I'll watch those simultaneously with Friday Night Lights, methinks.

EDIT: Turns out my parents have season 3 on their DVR! Done.

I watched the first season of Lie to Me on Netflix streaming and I have to say, I really, really liked it. The cases are intriguing and I found myself enjoying every single episode, which I wasn't expecting. I was thinking I'd at least find a couple of episodes boring, but that wasn't the case. It has a solid first season.

I started the second one.

Oh, and the main guy Cal is so damn cute for a man his age. His eyes/face and mannerisms...haha, I like him :p And Eli is nice eye candy, too. Yum.

ivysaur12 said:
I'm going to see if anyone I know has season 3 on their DVR.

Otherwise, I have the Breaking Bad DVDs coming today. I'll watch those simultaneously with Friday Night Lights, methinks.

EDIT: Turns out my parents have season 3 on their DVR! Done.
Just so you know - S3 is very uneven, and a lot of GAF didn't like it. The premiere and finale are great, but the middle of the season drags on a bit. It might hold up better if you're marathoning it. My advice would be to blow through FNL S1 or maybe Veronica Mars S1 instead. Breaking Bad is highly recommended, as well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Cornballer said:
Just so you know - S3 is very uneven, and a lot of GAF didn't like it. The premiere and finale are great, but the middle of the season drags on a bit. It might hold up better if you're marathoning it. My advice would be to blow through FNL S1 or maybe Veronica Mars S1 instead. Breaking Bad is highly recommended, as well.

I might as well finish it - I hate starting shows and stopping halfway through. My goal was to finish some shows that I can then watch live. As long as the kidnapping isn't dragged on longer than it needs to be...

EDIT: SEASON THREE HAS AMANDA FUCKING GREYSTONE ARE YOU SHITTING ME

I don't think there's ever an actress that has pissed me off so easily. UGH.

After some discussion about it here on GAF I realised I didn't have Angel Season 4 on DVD.

They arrived today so making my way through that. I love this season.

big ander

I completed Friday Night Lights tonight.
A perfect ending to a perfect show. One of my all-time favorites and a program that everyone owes it to themselves to see.
Now I'm going through the FNL topic on GAF and will make a much more detailed post. But here's this:
3=1>5>4>2

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
big ander said:
I completed Friday Night Lights tonight.
A perfect ending to a perfect show. One of my all-time favorites and a program that everyone owes it to themselves to see.
Now I'm going through the FNL topic on GAF and will make a much more detailed post. But here's this:
3=1>5>4>2
Texas Forever! I'm already missing everything about this show, it really was something special. Looking forward to your additional comments.

and our season rankings are identical *hifive*

Fatalah said:

What a great show. Started watching season 1, Metacritic convinced me.
Gonna have to hit this up sometime. I've heard too many good things. That Kalinda character intrigues me.

JMizzlin

A friend showed me the first episode of Misfits tonight. Got an intense Dr Who vibe from it, but dug the soundtrack so I'll keep watching. Robert Sheehan is also quite good.

Tucah

you speak so well
Almost done with Fringe Season 2. It's been a good season - the mythology stuff has been very strong and always interesting but there have been a few clunkers so far - I hated the musical/40s episode. Just the two part finale left, hope it blows my mind.

JGS

Banned
OK, the Real Tron Spandex Meme Guy was just on America's Got Talent. Sadly he didn't advance. I don't know why.

10hvded.jpg

Seriously, meme's should never go beyond their station.

TripOpt55

I just finished Season 2 of Breaking Bad and started Season 3 (just watched the first episode). I'm totally hooked now. It wasn't really grabbing me early on, but towards the end of Season 2, I really didn't want to stop watching. I've been recording them when they repeat on AMC though, so I only have 3 or 4 more on my DVR at the moment. Can't wait to watch more though.

Drewsky

TripOpt55 said:
I just finished Season 2 of Breaking Bad and started Season 3 (just watched the first episode). I'm totally hooked now. It wasn't really grabbing me early on, but towards the end of Season 2, I really didn't want to stop watching. I've been recording them when they repeat on AMC though, so I only have 3 or 4 more on my DVR at the moment. Can't wait to watch more though.
S3 only gets better. You're in for a ride, and at the perfect time, S4 starts in July.

TripOpt55

Drewsky said:
S3 only gets better. You're in for a ride, and at the perfect time, S4 starts in July.
Cool. I'm looking forward to watching more. I should be caught up by the time Season 4 starts and be able to join in on the discussion week to week.

Blablurn

currently re-watching all the scrubs season. finished the first three so far and it's still one of my favourite tv shows of all time.

Just finished up with Babylon 5.

Whilst overall, the final season was disappointing; the final episode was a tremendous send-off and closer to the 5 year saga. One of the best tv show finales to ever air.
Eyes started to get misty upon
seeing Sheridan walking through the decommissioned Babylon 5 station
, only to later let the tears roll when
the Babylon 5 was destroyed
, and cried harder
during the cast credits showing each member with their first and final appearance, particularly when head full of hair Michael Garibaldi appeared

A great sci-fi show, and one of the very few television series that execute story arcs correctly.

Just finished Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It's a pretty good show but I can see why it wasn't renewed. Cancelled after one season but everything was wrapped up nicely.

Going to start watching Jericho soon. I hate/love being semi-unemployed.

TripOpt55

I've added Sons of Anarchy to the mix now. Only watched the pilot, but it seems cool. It is my mom and brother's favorite show at the moment, so I decided to give it a shot. Otherwise, I am still working on Breaking Bad Season 3 and then some stuff airing on TV like Friday Night Lights Season 5 and The Killing.

A few television critics talk cable versus network tv:

- Tim Goodman: Was There a 'Great' Drama on Network TV This Season?
In the world of broadcast television, The Good Wife might be considered great, but doesn't come close to holding up against cable offerings. And it seemed pointless then to make a big stink over that categorization, since broadcast folks are notoriously defensive about their quality as compared to cable. And when they get a good show, they get really proud. To the point of losing all connection to reality.
- Todd VanDerVerff: Is cable still the best venue for quality television?
And one by one, the big cable drama series for the year flopped either with critics or viewers—sometimes both. FX’s Terriers was greeted by critical hosannas, but canceled after one season. AMC’s Rubicon took a while to find its legs, but by the time critics began praising it, viewers had already lost interest. Showtime’s Shameless and The Borgias were good, sure, but neither was a ratings smash nor a critically beloved show. FX’s Lights Out flopped immediately, and unlike Terriers, it never found anything approaching consistency. And while AMC’s The Walking Dead was a huge hit with viewers, more than a few grumbled that the show had a great pilot, followed by five episodes that squandered any good will it built up. That network’s The Killing followed a similar pattern, falling apart faster than any promising drama in recent memory. Only HBO’s Game Of Thrones prompted anything like appreciation from critics and viewers alike.
- James Poniewozik: Cable TV's Better! No, Broadcast TV's Better!
But bottom line, who's making better shows, broadcast or cable? Come on. There's a gordian-knot solution: list the best shows on TV, and count up who made more of them. By my measure, it's still easily cable—from my last few year-end best-of lists, it's not even a contest. I like some broadcast shows, but in general, cable's best is better than broadcast's best. (VanDerWerff says, for instance, that Boardwalk Empire was "liked but not loved," not a groundbreaker like The Sopranos. Totally right. Yet it was still far better than anything a broadcast network launched last fall, Lonestar included.) If you hold them to the same standard, no grading on a curve for difficulty or business requirements, cable wins. And from what I've seen so far this year, I don't see that changing much.

Good articles worth a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom