• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanger

Banned
currently rewatching LOST on DVD. nearly finished season 2 and after LOST I will watch either Buffy The Vampire Slayer or ALIAS again. Maybe I'll pick up Dexter, I heard it's more than awesome. What do you guys think about Dexter, is it worth buying?

~Kinggi~

Banned
water_wendi said:
This. But i cant watch S3. When i saw the finale to S2 i couldnt believe what i was seeing. Probably one of the gutsiest moves in TV. And to have what happened become a retcon in throwaway line of dialogue. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
The ending of season 2 was the most goddamn ballsiest shit i ever did see on Tv and while continuing with Season 3 kinda seemed odd, i was still happy to get more of the show, because honestly if it ended on Season 2 i would have been all suicidal and shit.

And yes everyone replying saying they will check it out, you wont be disappointed.

-Its got John Locke in a major role
-It's Lance Henrickson's best work

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I bet the pitch for Millennium was "It's Silence of the Lambs every week". It's the kind of super dark, disturbing TV that you don't really see any more. I was hoping The Killing might fill that void, but it ended up being shit. Chris Carter really needs to return to TV, I'd love to see what he could do with a show on FX or HBO or something.

Finished 24 Season 3 (Season 2 several weeks before that). Watched them years ago (dvd rental not when they aired) but they were still great (forgot some of it). The only season I haven't watched in full now is Season 4, might watch in a little while.

JaskoX1

Banned
Oceanic815 said:
currently rewatching LOST on DVD. nearly finished season 2 and after LOST I will watch either Buffy The Vampire Slayer or ALIAS again. Maybe I'll pick up Dexter, I heard it's more than awesome. What do you guys think about Dexter, is it worth buying?
Dexter is very worth getting. Only season that I didn't care for was the last one, S5.

A lot of people bag on Season 3 guess because the introduction of this Miguel character and how it kind of drifted away from the usual but I enjoyed it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Spire said:
I bet the pitch for Millennium was "It's Silence of the Lambs every week". It's the kind of super dark, disturbing TV that you don't really see any more. I was hoping The Killing might fill that void, but it ended up being shit. Chris Carter really needs to return to TV, I'd love to see what he could do with a show on FX or HBO or something.
Whats funny about Millennium is that it really came off as a writer's dream to work on. All the artisitic types are always fighting to get to work on real dark shit like this and the show was on FOX of all places. X-Files success was the only reason the show was able to air. Chris Carter used his money-maker as a catalyst to entertain his more talented production crew. Glen Morgan and James Wong basically completely took control of the show, and popular writers like Darin Morgan jumped on board as well. Frank Spotnitz took a major role in the show also. It was a project of theirs to keep them from going insane working only on X-Files stuff.

Bradlums

Been watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force / Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 a lot lately. Gotta say it's really growing on me. That and old Family Guy. Forgot that some of the old episode were actually funny.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Justified Season 2 Episode 1:

Well, I certainly didn't expect them to pick up immediately after the last episode. The beginning felt a little choppy, like they were rushing through the follow up to the events last season, almost as if they were unimportant, just so they could get to the new story lines.

They ended the Miami story line it seems, which is unexpected. I figured at least a portion of this season would find Boyd hunting down the woman, with Raylan on his trail, but they just blazed through that stuff. It would be lame if they kept drawing out the Miami stuff though, so I guess that's wise.

Bo is dead, which I think is a pretty good path for them to take, but they didn't say anything about Johnny. :(

More Rachel is a good thing. She was in a lot of scenes, too. I hope they continue developing her, as well as Art and Tim.

That whole scene where the creepy sex offender is trying to get the girl in the marijuana shed was really unsettling. Thankfully he was captured.

Jeremy Davies. >_< I'm not really a fan of his, but he was OK.

Mags is really well acted so far, and she seems like she'll be a really great villain. I also like the fact that we're getting a female villain. All the bad guys in the first season were men aside from, like, 2 of them.

Raylan and Winona again....Ava is better.

What is Boyd up to? And what's up with the ending? He's working at a mine and has access to dynamite..

Pretty good so far.

AwesomeSauce said:
Also if you ever get the chance, watch Terriers. One of the best shows ive ever seen and it still pains me deeply that it was cancelled after 1 season :_(

It's on my list! :)

Valhalla

Banned
I really like pawn stars.. its on netflix.. its a great show, its repetitive and you can really see they force a lot of this shit..its very scripted in a way, which sort of ruins the fun,, but the actual items people bring in is very interesting to me.

..the guys can be kind of dicks but...whatev..

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Treefingers said:
Curb Your Enthusiasm, I have no idea how I've avoided it for so long. Probably my second favourite TV show ever.

Came here to post this, just started watching it proper, I felt for the first three seasons like I was watching it just because of its reputation and didn't get it. Now that I've watched the fourth season I really see the genius of this show, and it's just hilarious.

Also Breaking Bad, halfway through season 2 now, and I just have no words for how amazing it is. My only downside is there have been a small number of filler episodes this far. Someone tell me, it couldn't possibly get better could it?

TheDanger

Banned
JaskoX1 said:
Dexter is very worth getting. Only season that I didn't care for was the last one, S5.

A lot of people bag on Season 3 guess because the introduction of this Miguel character and how it kind of drifted away from the usual but I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the reply I decided I'll pick up season 1 and 2 first. If I enjoy I'll also buy the next seasons. Thanks again.

Dexter started off great but slowly came down from the peak of Season 1 and in the latter seasons really started to lose it. I didn't even finish the latest season. I think it's worth seeing though. It's a nice concept.

TheOddOne

roosters93 said:
Dexter started off great but slowly came down from the peak of Season 1 and in the latter seasons really started to lose it. I didn't even finish the latest season. I think it's worth seeing though. It's a nice concept.
Just avoid the latest season, hell even the promo for the next season avoids it.

big ander

Superimposer said:
Came here to post this, just started watching it proper, I felt for the first three seasons like I was watching it just because of its reputation and didn't get it. Now that I've watched the fourth season I really see the genius of this show, and it's just hilarious.

Also Breaking Bad, halfway through season 2 now, and I just have no words for how amazing it is. My only downside is there have been a small number of filler episodes this far. Someone tell me, it couldn't possibly get better could it?
I can't think of a single episode of Breaking Bad that I'd classify as filler only because the actual meth/cancer central plot is just a way for Walt and Jesse to be the two fucking best characters on television.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
big ander said:
I can't think of a single episode of Breaking Bad that I'd classify as filler only because the actual meth/cancer central plot is just a way for Walt and Jesse to be the two fucking best characters on television.

Maybe, but I'm just talking in terms of moving the plot along. Can Season 3 possibly be better than this though? I imagine those that have seen all of it have their expectations for Season 4 through the roof.

big ander

Superimposer said:
Maybe, but I'm just talking in terms of moving the plot along. Can Season 3 possibly be better than this though? I imagine those that have seen all of it have their expectations for Season 4 through the roof.
There are plenty of episodes that don't move the plot forward, but that doesn't matter to me is what I'm saying. Season 3 has an episode that's most definitely "filler" in that manner, but it was one of my favorites of the season.

VALIS

Finally got around to Party Down. Fantastic. What a shame it got cancelled, as that format of a different party/group of characters each episode could've kept the show fresh for many years.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Justified season 2 episode 2:

The return of the stand alone episode. I expect the next few episodes to be stand alones like the first season's first few episodes, but I hope that's not the case.

Last week we got Rachel, this week we get Tim. They didn't really do anything good with him, aside from the part where he shoots the guy in the head. Which was awesome.

More Boyd is good, but he's not doing anything interesting at the moment. I guess he's involved with Ava now, which is weird, but other than that he seems a bit lost.

Raylan and Winona--more than a fling? It seems like they want their relationship to be more than that...and what's with Raylan putting his hand on Winona's stomach? Preggers?

Mags was good again, but she wasn't the focus of this episode.

Pregnant jail woman's story was OK.

Overall it was just an OK episode.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I watched the first 3-4 episodes of 6 Feet Under about 6 months ago, and stopped cause I really couldn't get into, but all my friends keep telling me to keep watching it, is it really worth finishing? Other shows I watch are Breaking Bad, Top Gear, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Mad Men.

So I've started a rewatch of The Simpsons (lol). I watched the first two episodes and they were good. Not much new to say about The Simpsons.

I also started watching FNL again. What a show.

Jay Sosa

Superimposer said:

Season 2 was a bit boring and his wife almost made me stop watching the show, so imho it get's a lot better. It also has one of the greatest episodes in TV history.

Cheska

I know it's old but I just started watching Farscape. I'm borderline obsessed with Claudia Black, so I just had to watch it. Halfway through the first season and it's definitely pretty cheesy, but still rather enjoyable. It's so funny how different the banter between John and Aeryn is in comparison to Cameron an Vala from Stargate.

So after 5 episodes of Millennium, how the HELL did they show this on network TV? I mean the violence isn't worse than any of the more violent TV-14 rated stuff these days (like Supernatural which took it up a notch in Season 6), but the tone of the show is just so dark. There hasn't been a shred of comedic relief so far.

Good stuff.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Justified season 2 episode 3:

Good episode. Nice to see Dewy again, and poor Boyd...no one believes him about anything he says. :O @ the ending. Maybe Boyd hasn't completely changed?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
So after 5 episodes of Millennium, how the HELL did they show this on network TV? I mean the violence isn't worse than any of the more violent TV-14 rated stuff these days (like Supernatural which took it up a notch in Season 6), but the tone of the show is just so dark. There hasn't been a shred of comedic relief so far.

Good stuff.
First season is kinda serial killer of the week type stuff. 2nd season starts to develop more of a mythology and even has a comedic episode like the X-Files did. Season 2 and 3 definitely have a better mix of dark and light and more story-based stuff.

I think it rounds out the show nicely cause by the end of season 1 all the separate serial killers kinda gets old and starts to become too bleak.

Just watched the first episode of Twin Peaks. I've been wanting to get into the show for a while now and now seems a good time to start as university just ended for the semester. I'm very intrigued so far, some great acting in this and the characters look promising and appropriately weird. The music, if you take away the rather cheesy synthesizers (they do fit the era though) is great as well. I'll definitely keep watching.

Salazar

Sons of Anarchy season 1.

Pisses me off that
the doctor girl didn't immediately raise the alarm about stalker douche. Of course, he gets what's coming. But to keep quiet about it is just fucking insane on an irritatingly implausible level.

Show is badass.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Superimposer said:
I prefer S2 to S3, only slightly. But I think most of GAF would rank S3 above S2 - so yes, it could be better

omgkitty

Red_Man said:
So I watched the first 3-4 episodes of 6 Feet Under about 6 months ago, and stopped cause I really couldn't get into, but all my friends keep telling me to keep watching it, is it really worth finishing? Other shows I watch are Breaking Bad, Top Gear, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Mad Men.

I watch all of those shows and I will admit Six Feet Under starts a little slow. It's a very good show but it's not going to knock your socks off or anything with pacing. It's just a very good drama. It's not really one of those cliffhanger shows where as soon as you end one, you feel the need to watch another one. It is a very rewarding show however. I have finished 3 seasons and haven't been able to get a hold on the 4th season yet.

I made a run through the entire True Blood series up until season 4 episode 2 (current episode). I have talked some crap about that show before with other people and I must say I am wrong. Some of the show is definitely kind of stupid, but it's so entertaining and well written, I really enjoy it.

I also started watching Justified this week. I am almost done with season 1. I liked the first episode, but it got a little slow after that, but there have been a few good episodes. TBH, I wouldn't have kept going if I didn't have it on blu-ray. I am still not sure how I feel about the show yet. There are way too many people on the show and he just throws around names like they're nothing. Makes it hard to keep up. The main character also just seems to randomly figure things out half-way through the episode, usually off something somebody says randomly. I don't know....is it worth watching season 2? There are parts I really enjoy, and Olyphant is a very good actor, but some of the episodes are just straight up boring.

omgkitty said:
I also started watching Justified this week. I am almost done with season 1. I liked the first episode, but it got a little slow after that, but there have been a few good episodes. TBH, I wouldn't have kept going if I didn't have it on blu-ray. I am still not sure how I feel about the show yet. There are way too many people on the show and he just throws around names like they're nothing. Makes it hard to keep up. The main character also just seems to randomly figure things out half-way through the episode, usually off something somebody says randomly. I don't know....is it worth watching season 2? There are parts I really enjoy, and Olyphant is a very good actor, but some of the episodes are just straight up boring.
S2 is great and just about everyone prefers it to S1, but if you don't like S1 and find it boring, maybe it's just not for you? I enjoy the writing and acting enough that it was a no brainer for me to continue watching after the first season. I'd stick with it to the end of S1 and see how you're feeling about it at that point.

Coen

I've been catching up on Parks and Recreation. Love the quirky style and humor. After a disappointing first season, the writers have been focusing on the funny characters. They've dropped some boring characters, added some great new ones and gave more screen time to the smaller parts.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
About 3 episodes away from finishing Freaks and Geeks. Such a fantastic and compellingly effective show. Loved every minute of it so far.

Starting Game of Thrones after it and then onto Deadwood.

Dax01 said:
If you haven't seen SG1, just move on to that. It's worth it.

I'm planning to move onto SG1 once I finish SGU. I would follow the back-and-forth method with SGU and SG1, but I don't know if I can handle such a drastic change in tones involving the same universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom