• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

aaaaand I fucking love Deadwood. Only problem is that it's a "guy show" and my girlfriend won't watch it with me. That said, is Justified also a "guy show?"

I know a few women that love Justified, but they're also the type of women who totally loved Deadwood, so yeah... I'm not sure I agree that Deadwood is a "guy show", but if it is, then Justified might be too.

I know a few women that love Justified, but they're also the type of women who totally loved Deadwood, so yeah... I'm not sure I agree that Deadwood is a "guy show", but if it is, then Justified might be too.

Okay cool thanks. I'll make her try one episode and hopefully she is charmed by Olyphant :)

Jay Sosa

Saw...

Modern Family (latest episode) - Was ignoring it for 2 years. Still hate the concept but I have to admit it's funny.

Lucky Louie - First episode was meh but it gets better and better

Colbert Report - SOOOO pissed at myself for ignoring it for so long. Dude is a genius.

Daily Show - See above

Justified SE2 - Just a few episodes to go..deserves all the praise it gets, fantastic stuff.

The Office (latest episode) - Not as bad as the other episodes I watched this season but far from comedy gold.

Craig Ferguson - Just love that dude, Conan and all the other Late Show hosts pale in comparison (ba-zing) Amazing that he isn't more popular.

Okay cool thanks. I'll make her try one episode and hopefully she is charmed by Olyphant :)

I'm a straight guy but my man crush on TO is one of the reasons I watch, So I'm positive she'll love him as well ;)

Deadwood and Justified would both be considered "guy shows." There are exceptions to every "rule," but if someone disliked Deadwood strictly because of how high it is on the "guy show" meter, they probably won't enjoy Justified either.

Yeah, dumb term, but it is what it is. Though Justified is significantly easier to get into in terms of how it's written.

I've been meaning to get back into Daily Show and Colbert Report, love both guys, just hard to without having cable in my dorm room.

I also need to watch the third season of Justified. Soon.

Finished a marathon of the first three seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix. Can't wait for them to put up the fourth season because it's really good .
Also watched the first series of Sherlock. Three episodes are not enough I need more!

Thinking of getting into Lie to Me since all three seasons are on Netflix. My dad and brother claim it's a great show so I'll probably give it a shot.

AAequal

Banned
WpXJr.jpg

Found some old VHS tapes at my parents place and decided to check what's on them and for my surprise I found 20h worth of Martial Law :D Such an awesome show! I still remember watching this when I was younger, I have to get these on DVD for old times sake.

Fjordson

Finally finished The Sopranos.

Easily one of the greatest shows I've ever watched. I'm stunned at how good it was. So much hype over the years, I was fully expecting to be let down. Not a chance of that. Exceeded all my expectations.

That ending, though. Damn. Let's just say, I wish there was more.

Finally finished The Sopranos.

Easily one of the greatest shows I've ever watched. I'm stunned at how good it was. So much hype over the years, I was fully expecting to be let down. Not a chance of that. Exceeded all my expectations.

That ending, though. Damn. Let's just say, I wish there was more.

mah dude

just started like my 5th rewatch the other night.. lol

its so rewatchable

and yeah that article is a good read

Fjordson

mah dude

just started like my 5th rewatch the other night.. lol

its so rewatchable

and yeah that article is a good read
Yeah, I already want to watch it again. I think it might actually be my single favourite show ever. I didn't think anything could pass Deadwood and The Wire, but this probably has.

Holy shit @ that article on the ending. I've gone through about half of it and I can't believe some of these connections. Even more depth than I gave the show credit for.

glaurung

Watched the entirety of My Name is Earl for the first time.

The way I recall it, it was a steady decline from the end of the first season. Some great ideas here and there, some very good jokes spread around, but the end of season four was already a complete wash.

Hoplatee

Recently opened up my Sopranos Boxset and finished season 1 which I found pretty decent. I started season 2 and for some reason I get insanely annoyed by the sister of Tony up to the point that I nearly want to stop. I can not stand her character.

Without spoiling much - does she remain a long time / the whole show and/or should I just force myself to go through with it? Stupid question cause I doubt many will agree with me, I know, but eh! I am at episode 4 of S2 now for what it is worth. Also is the quality good all the way or are there some 'bad' seasons? Does it end in a proper way? I ask this cause it are a lot of seasons and I would be bummed if it ended in some boring stupid way that gives no closure at all.

Other than that I also saw Nikita Season 1. That was pretty good (did not expect that!), is season 2 just as much fun?

Fjordson

Recently opened up my Sopranos Boxset and finished season 1 which I found pretty decent. I started season 2 and for some reason I get insanely annoyed by the sister of Tony up to the point that I nearly want to stop. For some reason I can not stand her character.

Without spoiling much - does she remain a long time / the whole show and/or should I just force myself to go through with it? Stupid question cause I doubt many will agree with me, I know, but eh! I am at episode 4 of S2 now for what it is worth. Also is the quality good all the way or are there some 'bad' seasons?
I honestly think the entire series is great. There are maybe 4-5 episodes that I found somewhat dull in the entire thing and most of those occurred early on.

Like I said above, I was stunned at how good it was. Probably the best show I've ever seen. As for Janice, I guess I didn't find her annoying enough to hinder my enjoyment of the show. Not that she's all that likable, but I don't think she's supposed to be. And some pretty interesting story stuff involving her happens in seasons 3 and 4.

The ending is incredibly controversial, but I won't spoil specifics. I'll just say that I'm still thinking about the last scene days after seeing it and have been reading tons of analysis about what took place and why. Fascinating stuff.

Empty

watched the first three series of californication - the ones on netflix uk. i enjoyed it quite a lot - it's fun, charming comedy with some excellent dramatic stuff. it first seems like hank moody is an obnoxious male fantasy character, but the way the relationship between him and karen and becka is written is magic and humanizes him so much you enjoy following him. runkel is more relatable for the audience yet somehow is more of a cartoon comic creation, though a funny one and not devoid of pathos himself. it has a few plotting problems throughout sure, but it's easy to forgive when it gets the rest right.

i'm not sure if i want to continue with it though. the third series was kinda bad (a few plotline spoilers incoming) - hank's character despite his sense of humor is normally capable and lovely yet with certain character flaws, yet here he seems more plain obnoxious. the love quadrangle storyline is poor and leads to rubbish cliche naff sitcomy situations like the apartment episode or trying to dump each one but failing or dumb stuff like the fucking pistols at lunch. storylines with more potential like becka's teenage indiscretions are used and seem serious then dropped without much repercussion. no karen for most removes a central tenant of the series. yet the final moment of the third series, not incidentally coming from work setup in earlier episodes and handily ignored all season till the last few minutes, was brilliant, perfectly levering your affection for the characters into a total sucker punch filmed so very well with rocket man over the top.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Game of Thronezz:

I'm on episode 4 and I like it so far (big fan of the books), though it seems like they're really rushing through the story lines, and there doesn't seem to be any sense of time.
One minute Catelyn is in Winterfell, the next she's in Kings Landing, and a little later on she's at the tavern arresting Tyrion.
I want to see the journey, and not just the destinations. I realize that they can't show weeks and months worth of travelling, but I feel like they could do a better job than they have been doing so far.

I think it acting is quite good, with Arya, Cersei, and Robb being standouts. I'm surprised by how much I like Lena Heady as Cersei, as I had heard so many negative things about her that I was fully prepared to hate her, but I think she's great.

The direwolves are just dogs. lol

TripOpt55

I just finished watching Felicity and the direction the show goes in at the end is nuts. I liked the show overall, but not really liking that final stretch that much.

I just finished watching Felicity and the direction the show goes in at the end is nuts. I liked the show overall, but not really liking that final stretch that much.

I watched a lot of that show but eventually fell out of watching it for some reason (I think it was late night re-runs). I remember reading about some of the late series stuff and it really did sound incredibly weird. Like weird paranormal stuff that comes out of no where? So strange.

iammeiam

It was a weird attempt to cope with an extra-episode order after they'd thought they'd finished the series. Instead of trying to write episodes to be aired out-of-order earlier in the season, they came up with... that.

Luckily you can just kind of pretend the final arc of episodes never happened and just pretend the original ending was left the hell alone.

TripOpt55

I watched a lot of that show but eventually fell out of watching it for some reason (I think it was late night re-runs). I remember reading about some of the late series stuff and it really did sound incredibly weird. Like weird paranormal stuff that comes out of no where? So strange.

It was a weird attempt to cope with an extra-episode order after they'd thought they'd finished the series. Instead of trying to write episodes to be aired out-of-order earlier in the season, they came up with... that.

Luckily you can just kind of pretend the final arc of episodes never happened and just pretend the original ending was left the hell alone.

I used to watch it in high school and it just sort of got away from me, but saw it on Netflix and decided to give it another shot. My friend told me the end was crazy, but I had no idea he meant like this. After posting here I was searching the net for other opinions and discovered that bit about ordering more episodes. I guess that makes it make a bit more sense. While I was watching The Graduate, I thought it felt like a finale. But that final stretch feels really out of character for the show and some of things that actually happen don't sit well with me. Seems like a mistake even if the creators were in a tough spot. Oh well. I enjoyed the show overall, but that was just crazy.

SKINNER!

Banned
I caught up with BBC's Sherlock this morning. Great show and superb writing. Sure, some bits were a bit far-fetched but I kinda let them slide just to see how the story unfolds.

My rankings of the episodes from Best to Average. all episodes were good so I can't really say the episodes at the bottom of the list are bad.

1.) The Reichenbach Fall
2.) "A Study in Pink" (I preferred the unaired pilot over the original version)
3.) "The Great Game"
4.) "A Scandal in Belgravia"
5.) "The Hounds of Baskerville"
6.) "The Blind Banker"

smr00

Banned
Is One Tree Hill worth watching? I had watched most of season 1 in high school but stopped once I got behind (what did I do without a DVR?). All the seasons are on Netflix now.
Have you seen The OC? i always liken it to that show and i love both.

Granted One Tree Hill went downhill after Chad left and it went downhill incredibly fucking fast, so fast i couldn't even watch after he left and it wasn't because he was the only character i liked but because the writing just went to shit and it was going to shit before he left, i would say 1-5 are the best seasons of that show and the downhill shit train started in season 6. If you have seen Prison Break then you know how S1 was great, S2 was watchable and then the show took a fucking nose dive into a mountain, well that's how OTH is after season 5, season 6 is like PB S2 and then nose dives into shit mountain.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Granted One Tree Hill went downhill after Chad left and it went downhill incredibly fucking fast, so fast i couldn't even watch after he left and it wasn't because he was the only character i liked but because the writing just went to shit and it was going to shit before he left, i would say 1-5 are the best seasons of that show and the downhill shit train started in season 6. If you have seen Prison Break then you know how S1 was great, S2 was watchable and then the show took a fucking nose dive into a mountain, well that's how OTH is after season 5, season 6 is like PB S2 and then nose dives into shit mountain.

Chad Michael Murray and Hillarie Burton were the two worst actors/characters. The show improved when their whiny asses got the boot.

I caught up with BBC's Sherlock this morning. Great show and superb writing. Sure, some bits were a bit far-fetched but I kinda let them slide just to see how the story unfolds.

My rankings of the episodes from Best to Average. all episodes were good so I can't really say the episodes at the bottom of the list are bad.

1.) The Reichenbach Fall
2.) "A Study in Pink" (I preferred the unaired pilot over the original version)
3.) "The Great Game"
4.) "A Scandal in Belgravia"
5.) "The Hounds of Baskerville"
6.) "The Blind Banker"

I agree with your list except #4. That one is my favorite.

TripOpt55

Trying a bunch of stuff on Netflix. Halfway through Terriers and four eps into The Black Donnellys. I actually started these a while ago, but both are good. Also watched a couple of Louie. It is alright. And the pilot of Parenthood which I liked. Going to bounce between these for right now.

Chad Michael Murray and Hillarie Burton were the two worst actors/characters. The show improved when their whiny asses got the boot.

Peyton is so annoying. My friend really likes her and I am always picking on her for being super-whiny on the show to mess with him (except it is true... haha). I still need to watch the last two seasons. Never got around to them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Peyton is so annoying. My friend really likes her and I am always picking on her for being super-whiny on the show to mess with him (except it is true... haha). I still need to watch the last two seasons. Never got around to them.

She was SO annoying in her final season (6?). I was actively rooting for her to die in
childbirth
. lol

Sirius

Slowpoke here: Following the current high-budget shows on tv is great and all, yet it's always good to be able sit down and just watch something entirely different and much more accessible.. something to talk about with the 'lil bros. for instance.

i.e. Finally getting around to properly watching Everybody Hates Chris on youtube - don't know why I never sat down to watch whole episodes when it was airing... seemed too full of angst at the time.. But damn, this was brilliant. Chris Rock being producer and the fantastic cast make this so enjoyable to watch.

The best family-centric comedy since Malcolm in the Middle in my opinion - and being based in 1983-87, none of this modern-day crap. So good.

An-Det

I finished Babylon 5 Season 1 a few days ago, am a few episodes into season 2 now. The quality of the individual episodes was a bit rocky, but overall I'm impressed with how good it is. Sure the visual effects are crap, but the story and characters are awesome. Seeing all the little things come into place for the upcoming War is fascinating, and so much of it is stuff I never noticed when I watched episodes as a kid.

Plus watching something other than Trek after so long is invigorating, I'm blasting through the show (started it last weekend). I can't wait to see where it goes next, I remember so little.

JerkShep

The good thing about OTH is that both season 4 and 6 have an ending that can be considered THE ending of the story, you can stop when you want. I dropped the series after 6 but I suggest stopping at 4. 5 is not so bad but I hated season 6 and if you want some closure you have to watch it (season 5 ends with a lot of cliffhangers). Season 4's ending feels like the natural ending of the show imho.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Just watched HBO Rome from start to finish over the last week or so--was amazing. Anyone recommend dramas similar to this? Doesn't have to be the same period or style, just story/intrigue as deep and engaging as Rome.

Jay Sosa

Watched 3 episodes of GOT SE2 and have to say I'm getting a bit bored.

I know it's in the book (well I guess I haven't read it) but imho it really hurt the show that the most charismatic dude died in the first. Not even sure I'm gonna watch the rest of this season.

Allso watching the usual, Community, Parks&Rec and all that nonsense.

oh and while I really love the Colbert Report and The Daily Show I have a hard time watching cause of all the incredible stupid and ignorant stuff US politicians do or say..and I'm european! I don't even wanna imagine how I'd feel if these incompetent assholes are running my country (in the ground).

Bazza

I caught a couple of random episodes of NCIS last month and i was hooked, im half way through season 5 now.

Its a pretty standard crime solving show but all the main characters a likeable and its a really fun show to watch, plenty of WTF moments, sad and action scenes plus plenty of jokes make it really easy to watch. Fucking love Ziva as well so damn hot.

plowing through The Wire for the first time. god damn its good; in Season 4. Is Treme as good/any good?

Treme is plenty good. Don't expect anything like The Wire though. The only similarity is that it delves into the soul of the town it's situated in.

It's really about the people and New Orleans. And their everyday lives.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Perfect Strangers, thanks to the flash game - Man, this show has not aged well
Three's Company - Man, this show has aged well.
Mr. Show - Amazing show so far. I'm surprised I didn't know about this when I was a kid.

-Stranger-

Watching Deadwood season 1 for the first time, finished up episode 6 last night.
It's a great show it was abit of a slow burn initially but i really like it now.

Also watching Game of Thrones S2 and Mad Men S5
I also saw the first couple of eps of The Killing

neocoder

Banned
For the longest time, I didn't watch any television other than sports & movies. Got back into it by watching all of Breaking Bad earlier this year and I've been hooked ever since!

Since then, I watched The Wire, Boardwalk Empire and am currently on SE06E06 of the Sopranos. All great shows.

Not sure what I will watch next once I'm done with the Sopranos. Probably Sherlock and then Mad Men.

TripOpt55

I really enjoyed the first two seasons of The Vampire Diaries. Anything else like it on TV (that is also that good)? Also I have yet to watch season 3. Without spoiling anything, is S3 as good as S2? Going to watch it once it hits Netflix or the blu-ray comes out (guessing I am waiting until next fall).

AngryMoth

Been rewatching Peep Show and holy shit I don't remember it being so good. There's not many show that make me laugh historically several times an episode. The writing is just sooo fantastic

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
plowing through The Wire for the first time. god damn its good; in Season 4. Is Treme as good/any good?

Treme is just as good as The Wire and in regards to fleshing out characters it's even better. However, it is quite different to the Wire in regards to narrative. It is 100% a David Simon show all the way through so it'll still feel familiar. Treme also helped my wife appreciate The Wire after the first seson didn't grab her. She now fucking loves The Wire and Treme. Next up is The Corner and Generation Kill.

Watched the first episode of The Wire. Was pretty good, though there were a couple of maybe heavy-handed moments that mark it as a "first episode," if that makes any sense. Am interested to see if it lives up to the "best show of all time" billing.

Edit: Also watched the first episode of Firefly with a friend earlier. It was... well, it was pretty much what I expected: a kinda generic space opera type show with that annoying Joss Whedon dialogue. My friend assures me that it gets better from the second episode on, and I WILL give it a chance at some point. But, well, Whedon strikes me as a guy with plenty of clever ideas for genre cliche subversion but no real sense for storytelling or characterization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom