• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When do things really start to get good?

I think it sort of varies from person to person. I think it hit its stride with episode 3-4. Season 2 is quite a bit better, and season 3 is quite a bit better than that. Etc. Though to be honest, I wasn't quite as enamored with the first season as others seemed to be, at first, but now I think it's one of the best shows on TV.

Marathoning through The Unusuals thanks to Amazon Instant on my PS3.

Shame it's only 10 eps long and that ABC cancelled it. Great cast of characters and genuinely funny at times for a police show.

I've been watching Burn Notice and I am enjoying it a lot. I'm currently on season 2, a bit past the halfway point. USA usually has great original shows; it makes feel bad for not watching them on TV when they air =/

AngryMoth

Whats the gaf opinion on Suits? One of my housemates insisted on making me watch the pilot the other day and I thought it was quite enjoyable, thinking about watching another episode at the moment.

Just got into Justified...halfway through season two and absolutely loving it.

I used to think Jack Bauer was cool but Raylan Givens...holy shit

Nevasleep

I'm watching 24 Hours in A&E on Channel 4.
Basically showing some of the patients in the major trauma unit at one of the busiest hospitals in London.
Really hard hitting insight, better than the usual reality hospital tv programs.

Jay Sosa

Started with season 4 of Dr.Who..I don't know If I'll continue watching it though. Without Rose and Mickey this just isn't the show I loved so much the first two season. I doubt the 4. can be any worse than the 3. (In only liked Blink) but..well there are so many other great shows so I just don't feel wasting my time on this anymore.

Also started watching Southland, jesus that is one depressing show. Good, but depressing. Is it really that bad over there?

Just got into Justified...halfway through season two and absolutely loving it.

I used to think Jack Bauer was cool but Raylan Givens...holy shit

have fun, that show is amazing.

psykomyko

Just finished The Sopranos. Loved it.

I know some people think the show begins to decline after season 3, but I felt the show got better and better with each season.

Chris and Paulie stuff was absolutely amazing, the Pine Barrens episode was one of the best episodes.
Edie Falco was incredible throughout the series, particularly in the episode Whitecaps, some amazing acting there.
Pretty much top tier acting throughout.

The one scene that was pretty shocking to me was
when Dr. Melfi was raped,
I think it was mostly because I wasn't expecting it, but that scene really shook me up.
There were many shocking moments but this one in particular was really shocking to me.

And one of my favorite moments in the show was
when AJ tried to commit suicide. The way Tony responds to it was really emotional

Also loved all of the
dream sequences. Even the episodes when Tony was in a coma, even though those weren't dreams per se.

This wasn't a dream, but the part where Paulie is walking through the Bing and looks over and spots the Virgin Mary was awesome haha.

Anyways, I could probably write a ton of stuff that was memorable from the show. Absolutely loved it, definitely up there as one of my favs.

Now onto The Wire, halfway through season 1.

Oh and I loved the ending, thought it was perfect way to end it.

TripOpt55

Let's see. Finished the first season of The LA Complex which was pretty good.

Finished the the first season of Once Upon a Time which I liked. Started kind of slow, but picked up a bit towards the end.

And now I just jumped into Game of Thrones and proceeded to watch five episodes tonight. Really enjoying it.

Also still working on The Legend of Korra and Louie Season 2.

Hoplatee

Is Damages worth it to watch? I always seem to like shows that involve lawyers ('realistic' or not, Boston Legal, Suits etc) and I am looking for a new show but I wonder if it is any good?

damages is a lot of fun.. just finished the 3rd season the other day

it can get ridiculous at times and its format of using flash forwards gets tiresome but the core relationship between glen close and rose byrne is great

also unfortunately the budget gets smaller and smaller each season and it starts to show

Divius

Watched Twin Peaks. I had seen season 1 before, but now I watched the entire thing.

Love season 1 and the first 7 episodes of season 2. The rest not so much.

Just finished The Sopranos. Loved it.

I know some people think the show begins to decline after season 3, but I felt the show got better and better with each season.
Yes, The Sopranos is one of the few shows that actually becomes better with each season. The last two (5 and 6) are when it becomes a truly transcendent show.

Fry

I've not watched anything new for more than one month and a half. Then Louie returned yesterday and it made me excited to watch other shows. I need to finish Arrested Development / Band of Brothers, and will try to start Deadwood.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've not watched anything new for more than one month and a half. Then Louie returned yesterday and it made me excited to watch other shows. I need to finish Arrested Development / Band of Brothers, and will try to start Deadwood.

Great choices.

EulaCapra

I'm trying to get into Misfits, but reading that there's constant cast turnovers makes me want to stop. I really, really, really, hate when shows do this. It makes me think: "Well, what was the point of watching the past seasons in the first place if they're going to sweep season's worth of development and dynamics under the rug?"

Also heavily enjoying The Glee Project season 2. I love Glee (even the often terrible season 2 and the good/okay/bad/good/great/great again! season 3), and this competition show has really diverse and often really talented contestants and an excellent competition format and to-the-point-of-being-harshly-blunt critique panels. Also refreshing that these kids don't all want to kill each other for crown.

AngryMoth

Started with season 4 of Dr.Who..I don't know If I'll continue watching it though. Without Rose and Mickey this just isn't the show I loved so much the first two season. I doubt the 4. can be any worse than the 3. (In only liked Blink) but..well there are so many other great shows so I just don't feel wasting my time on this anymore.
Yeah, seasons 3 and 4 pretty bad, but 5 and particularly 6 have been great. I suppose this is a spoiler but also not really...best to be safe,
Tennant leaves after season 4 and the new doctor and his assistant are excellent.
I'd recommend just skipping season 4, watch the specials and try a few of the newer ones before you give up on it.

I did go ahead and get into Suits. Its okay. A little too procedural and a little too frequently contrived for my tastes, and the only standout performance is Harvey Spectre, but it has it's moments and was good enough for me to keep watching.

Thinking about going through West Wing now. I've seen the odd episode and liked what I've seen. One of these days I'll get round to watching The Wire, its certainly been recommended enough. Just need a bit of motivation to get started. Maybe this summer.

Jarlaxle

Just finishing up Jericho with my wife who had never seen it. This was my second run through. Mr. Hawkins is such an awesome character.

sruckus

I'm trying to get into Misfits, but reading that there's constant cast turnovers makes me want to stop. I really, really, really, hate when shows do this. It makes me think: "Well, what was the point of watching the past seasons in the first place if they're going to sweep season's worth of development and dynamics under the rug?"

I still haven't really started plowing through S3 yet because of the cast change. The show was up there in my favorite shows ever when it started...I enjoyed it a lot. Problem is Robert Sheehan was a huge part of the show and him leaving is just lame.

I still haven't really started plowing through S3 yet because of the cast change. The show was up there in my favorite shows ever when it started...I enjoyed it a lot. Problem is Robert Sheehan was a huge part of the show and him leaving is just lame.

I've only heard that his replacement is just as good if not better. Or at least, that the show started trying harder in order to fill his gap once he left.

I'm on season 4 of The Shield (episode 3, I think) and i've really enjoyed it but man Shane and ESPECIALLY
his wife
are the worst. My god, that
obnoxious lady
. My girlfriend had wiki'd to see if the character ever went away and the answer being no has almost stopped our viewing momentum completely after going through 3 seasons in a couple of weeks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've finished pretty much all episodes of Malcolm in the Middle. Amazing show.

Right now I'm in ep.4 season 4 of Breaking Bad and loving it.

wihio

Ever feel like your reaching for something decent to watch? i feel like i used up all the good shows... Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale, Sopranos, Parenthood, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, and to a lesser extent Weeds, The Wire, Girls, Lost, have all given me a good time but i feel the cup runneth dry. Heck, I've even watched Kings and Journeyman, managing to squeeze out some entertainment.

I know I haven't mentioned everything I've seen, but now I am stuck scrounging up something. Tried Awake but it became so predictable, and now I am dabbling in the realm of Shameless. Maybe I will just re-watch Carnivale...

Is there some glaring omission I am making or is my idea to just download Growing Pains the best plan? :p

big ander

I'm on season 4 of The Shield (episode 3, I think) and i've really enjoyed it but man Shane and ESPECIALLY
his wife
obnoxious lady
. My girlfriend had wiki'd to see if the character ever went away and the answer being no has almost stopped our viewing momentum completely after going through 3 seasons in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't have spoiled for you or the rest of the thread that
he's in the show for the full run.
Could ruin a lot of tension later on.
He's one of the more contemptible characters on TV and I hated him with a white-hot passion. That said: he'd never make me stop watching. The point of his character is to be hated, and every development of his shows how much of a fundamentally weak person he is. He's so goddamn pathetic that by season 3 or 4 I didn't hate him: I pitied him. Try looking at it that way.
Ever feel like your reaching for something decent to watch? i feel like i used up all the good shows... Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale, Sopranos, Parenthood, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, and to a lesser extent Weeds, The Wire, Girls, Lost, have all given me a good time but i feel the cup runneth dry. Heck, I've even watched Kings and Journeyman, managing to squeeze out some entertainment.

I know I haven't mentioned everything I've seen, but now I am stuck scrounging up something. Tried Awake but it became so predictable, and now I am dabbling in the realm of Shameless. Maybe I will just re-watch Carnivale...

Is there some glaring omission I am making or is my idea to just download Growing Pains the best plan? :p
I'd recommend finishing Awake. mediocre middle of the season, but the last 2 or 3 episodes were excellent.
Shameless is great.
If you liked Freaks and Geeks and haven't seen Undeclared, try that.
Also don't see Mad Men or Twin Peaks on your list. Those are big ones.
BBC's Sherlock's amazing.
Southland's a way overlooked cop drama.
Fringe is great for sci-fi fans.
Homeland looks like it might turn into Sho's next cash cow but the first season is still real cool.
Party Down's a brilliant dark-ish comedy about complete failures in Hollywood working as caterers.
Terriers is a enveloping "beach noir," only 13 episodes.
The Shield can be a bit melodramatic, but in the best ways. Amazing long-form crime tragedy.
Don't see The Simpsons on your list. All those old episodes remain fantastic.
Your list doesn't include many true-to-life sitcoms, and I don't know if that's by choice or not. Anyway, I recommend: Scrubs, Coupling (UK), The IT Crowd, Spaced, Cougar Town, Happy Endings, early The Office, Parks and Recreation, Workaholics, The League, Archer, Community, 30 Rock, Raising Hope.
More offbeat comedy stuff would be Comedy Bang! Bang!, Portlandia, Key & Peele, Childrens Hospital, NTSF:SD:SUV::, Wilfred, Louie, Bunk, Adventure Time, Bunk, Eastbound & Down, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.
And one last left field rec: The Decalogue. Recommending it because I'm only halfway through myself and it's awesome. Polish miniseries from 1989, each of the 10 episodes being very loosely tied to the rest and being thematically relevant to one of the ten commandments. From Krzysztof Kieślowski, one of the best film directors ever.
Between all that there has to be something for you!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Enlightened
Six Feet Under
My So Called Life
Oz
Big Love
Tell Me You Love Me
Mad Men
Justified
Louie
Archer
Children's Hospital
Spartacus
Sherlock
Party Down
The Shield
NTSFSDSUV
Brotherhood
Strike Back
Downton Abbey
Homeland
Web Therapy
True Blood
Luck
Band of Brothers
Treme
The United States of Tara
John Adams

Hopefully you haven't seen any/all of these yet.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I finally started watching Veronica Mars for the first time. The first couple of episodes had me a little worried. A lot of cheesy, overly cute dialogue, and some of the corniest TV "thugs" I've seen in a while. Was also having a hard time buying into this whole privileged, high society ecosystem.

But the more I watch, the more it's growing on me. About 6 episodes in now. Veronica/Kristen carries the show effortlessly. She has charisma in spades, I can easily see why people fell in love with her back when it first aired. A very smart, well rounded character. Seeing her or her dad be all clever and badass while investigating leads is good television.

Speaking of the dad, the father-daughter relationship has been an unexpected highlight for me. They remind me of the Taylors on Friday Night Lights. Just a very loving and respectful family dynamic.

There's still some little things that'll continue to bug me. Like the randomly sped-up framerate during some of Veronica's inner monologues, or the cheap looking filters they have during dreams and flashback sequences. Otherwise, I'm excited to see more.

Coen

Tried watching Girls, but four episodes in I can't stomach it. It's just absolutely atrocious in every aspect.

Odoul

his wife
obnoxious lady

Keep watching and don't look up a damn thing.

The show is just getting ready to go on a tear you won't see in too many pieces of fiction.

They know what they're doing. Shane is being set up exactly in a way that will become clear later.

Currently watching Fringe and True Blood. I just started fringe a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It feels like a modern day X-Files, and I really liked that too.

I've been watching Burn Notice and I am enjoying it a lot. I'm currently on season 2, a bit past the halfway point. USA usually has great original shows; it makes feel bad for not watching them on TV when they air =/

I always find it amazing to be a little LTTP when it comes to long running TV shows; you now have 5 full seasons to watch as you please! Burn Notice is fantastic! No waiting week to week to see the story progressions and cliffhangers!
I'm up to date on season 6, and am not a huge fan of having to wait another week, at a specific time, to get the next episode.

An-Det

I finished Babylon 5 tonight after marathoning the final 7-ish episodes. What an amazing show. It started off a bit ehh in Season 1, but once Boxleitner joined and the cast was comfortable in their roles, it got awesome and for the most part never stopped. That finale was tough to watch too. The last 3 episodes were filled with goodbyes, and the last was the worst.

"As for Delenn, every morning for as long as she lived, Delenn got up before dawn and watched the sun come up."
Definitely teared a bit there.

Sad to see it end, but it was worth the journey. Next up is either Farscape or The Wire.

Watched Twin Peaks. I had seen season 1 before, but now I watched the entire thing.

Love season 1 and the first 7 episodes of season 2. The rest not so much.

Heya, me too! I'm watching it with a couple of friends; we're almost half way through the series, and man, it is REALLY WEIRD! It's cool to actually watch the show after knowing about it for such a long time, though. I remember the theme being popular when I was a kid.

Hilariously, as a result of this, I've been woken up 3 times in the early, early morning by that Twin Peaks theme playing on the ambient radio station I listen to at night... Kinda creepy.

Only show I've been watching regularly and keeping up with has been Supernatural. That's the only show I really watch now, unless I'm bored and having nothing else to do.

Jay Sosa

Yeah, seasons 3 and 4 pretty bad, but 5 and particularly 6 have been great. I suppose this is a spoiler but also not really...best to be safe,
Tennant leaves after season 4 and the new doctor and his assistant are excellent.
I'd recommend just skipping season 4, watch the specials and try a few of the newer ones before you give up on it.

Yeah I think I'll do that. Oh and thanks for the spoilertag, even If I knew that already. Watching a couple of new episodes with that lovely redhead made me start watching the show in the first place.

I'm on season 4 of The Shield (episode 3, I think) and i've really enjoyed it but man Shane and ESPECIALLY his wife are the worst. My god, that obnoxious lady . My girlfriend had wiki'd to see if the character ever went away and the answer being no has almost stopped our viewing momentum completely after going through 3 seasons in a couple of weeks.

Why in the world would you do that?

And Shane is probably the most intriguing character on the show, Walton Goggins is doing an amazing job portraying him, just like on Justified.

TheDanger

Banned
What does GAF think about Prison Break ? I almost finished the first season for the second time now and I think this first season is one of the best things I've ever seen on tv. The show is still great after season 1, but it's just not the same.

Jay Sosa

Oh totally forgot: Finally finished OZ. Imho the best TV drama ever, yes even better than the Wire and easily better than the Sopranos. (Just to name the two most popular choices)

Bladenic

Basically after I get back from my trip I have the following shows at my disposal:

True Blood
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Supernatural
Scrubs (watched about 9 episodes so far)
The rest of the HBO shows

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to watch them all. Gonna be tough while keeping up with the other shows I like.

Audioboxer

Oh totally forgot: Finally finished OZ. Imho the best TV drama ever, yes even better than the Wire and easily better than the Sopranos. (Just to name the two most popular choices)

Oz is great, apart from the
age drug
. Thought that ruined the season it was in a little.

Started Justified, watched 2 episodes. Fairly good start, seems a little loose right now but I did read the end of season 1/season 2 is where everything really starts to gel.

TripOpt55

The OC Season 2

I miss this show, it's a shame what happened to it in the later seasons.

I miss The OC too. Season 1 was the best, but I loved Season 2 as well. Especially The Mallpisode!

What does GAF think about Prison Break ? I almost finished the first season for the second time now and I think this first season is one of the best things I've ever seen on tv. The show is still great after season 1, but it's just not the same.

I love Season 1 of Prison Break. It is surprisingly clever if a bit ridiculous. I still liked the rest of the show, but not nearly as much as Season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom