• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
On episode 2 of Line of Duty, new BBC2 cop drama. Really tightly scripted and very well acted. I cringed slightly with a reference to the Wire in episode one, but UKers and anyone with iPlayer should check this out. Looks like it would be a State of Play level production. Episode 2 got even better. i've finished all my US shows, even with all the sports on TV, i'm glad BBC is coming out with quality shows before the Olympics. between this and The Hollow Crown BBC2 especially is on fire.

Line-of-Duty-series-008.jpg

Lennie James?!

So guys, is The Wire really worth it?

I know it's a really good show, but the complete series is USD134 on Amazon, plus the 30-40 dollars more it takes to ship it to Malaysia.

All this, converted to my money is around RM500, which a huge amount with the pay I'm making.

I am however, really interested in the series plus I think there's a lot I can learn from it as a screen writer. So is it worth to get it now, or should I wait for some sort of sales, which I doubt will happen?

Salvadora

I started up Dawson's Creek for the first time. Also watched the pilot of Boss. Not sure how I feel about either. Also been watching Louie on and off for a while. I just don't like it that much. I know everyone loves it, but it seems kind of hit or miss to me (don't kill me here). I like the standup bits pretty much always, but the little mini-story/episode things sometimes don't do much for me.

Haven't watched Dawson's Creek in forever. It was one of my favourite shows when I was younger but I fear it hasn't aged that well. Still very much in love with Joey, mind you.

strafer

So after much hesitation I finally decided to give the 90210 (2008) show a go, I was a fan of the original, it was nice to see some of the old characters return, now it's not nearly as great as the old show was but damn there are some fiiiiiine girls on this show, holy shit, I had a hard time concentrating.

So guys, is The Wire really worth it?

I know it's a really good show, but the complete series is USD134 on Amazon, plus the 30-40 dollars more it takes to ship it to Malaysia.

All this, converted to my money is around RM500, which a huge amount with the pay I'm making.

I am however, really interested in the series plus I think there's a lot I can learn from it as a screen writer. So is it worth to get it now, or should I wait for some sort of sales, which I doubt will happen?

Yeah its worth it. So is Deadwood. The two best shows ever made imo. Deadwood is the most well written thing in the history of cinema probably. And yeah, Best Buy has annual 50% off sales on HBO stuff every year

Started watching White Collar last night, just the first episode so far but I enjoyed it.

Does anyone watch this, how do they find it after 4 seasons?

TheContact

Watching Battlestar Galactica atm
Will be watching Breaking Bad in a couple days

And as a guilty pleasure, I might watch Alias again. I haven't watched it in years, but for some reason it wasn't that bad of a show.

bjaelke

Started watching White Collar last night, just the first episode so far but I enjoyed it.

Does anyone watch this, how do they find it after 4 seasons?

It's basically more of the same. If you enjoyed the first episodes then I'm certain you'll enjoy the rest.

TripOpt55

So after much hesitation I finally decided to give the 90210 (2008) show a go, I was a fan of the original, it was nice to see some of the old characters return, now it's not nearly as great as the old show was but damn there are some fiiiiiine girls on this show, holy shit, I had a hard time concentrating.
I bumped into this on Netflix and started watching it too. Not really sure why. I only watched a few so far. Not great but I like these kind of shows sometimes.

tehrafe

This year I've watched

- Quantum Leap (all episodes)
- The Sopranos (all episodes)
- The Tudors (finished up to season 2 so far)*
- The legend of the seeker (8 episodes so far)*
- Game of Thrones (season 1 & 2)
- Men of a certain age (all episodes)

in between that I've also been watching movies
(* means I'm still watching the remaining episodes available)

^Thats many. I finished 6 seasons of Sopranos in 1.5 months, damn.

People recommend the Wire if you've watched it, so I'll watch the Wire sometime next month.

moojito

I haven't watched The Wire, might watch it soon. I work as a night porter so I have loads of time.

Damn, you have some good TV times ahead, sir! Just as the sopranos is good even if you're not into the mafia specifically and the wire is awesome even if you're not a huge cop show fan, the West wing is awesome even if you're not into politics. So you should check that out too, if you haven't already.

I'm told that Deadwood has an awfully disappointing ending. I finish the show and find it kind of perfect. I'm told that Angel ends very well. Just finished it and saw one of the most disappointing endings I've seen in anything ever.

The Shield is next for me and I've heard praise for the excellent ending it has. Guess that means I'll be disappointed in the finale.

Oh and as far as Angel goes, 4>>>3>5>2>1. That's another thing. Four was supposed to be the bad season, while in reality it's the best so hard it's not even funny. What's up with that?

I finished the first series of Sherlock a couple days ago and loved it, going to pick up the second soon.

And not full episodes, but I just spent like an hour watching clips of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Puts Wipeout to shame.

I'm told that Deadwood has an awfully disappointing ending. I finish the show and find it kind of perfect. I'm told that Angel ends very well. Just finished it and saw one of the most disappointing endings I've seen in anything ever.

Yeah the ending is great. It fits several of the themes of the series very well. However it does disappoint some people because a lot of the storylines were left unfinished since they were building up to stuff that would happen in later seasons

There's a lot of information out there about what would have happened in season 4 and beyond though. It would have followed what actually happened historically in Deadwood. Its really unfortunate that they didn't get more seasons, but I still thought the whole last season was amazing

mxgt

Banned
Just finished the first season of The Walking Dead, felt inspired to watch it after playing the game by Telltale.

Really enjoying it so far, going to wait on season 2 until the blu ray release next month.

The Shield is next for me and I've heard praise for the excellent ending it has. Guess that means I'll be disappointed in the finale.

Oh and as far as Angel goes, 4>>>3>5>2>1. That's another thing. Four was supposed to be the bad season, while in reality it's the best so hard it's not even funny. What's up with that?

I think Angel ends well in the context of how the show ended. They didn't have much time to wrap things up from what I understand, so we got the ending we got. Personally I really liked the finale, it had a lot of great character moments then left the rest open to interpretation.

I actually agree that Season 4 is probably the best, I really loved the serialised nature of it. And I'm someone who actually liked Connor, I thought he was an interesting character.

Jay Sosa

Started watching HOTD (SE1), sooooo good. I could do without all the pantyshots but hey it's an anime.

Also Life and Times of Tim and Wilfred. First is funny as hell and has brilliant writing, second I just saw one episode of but it seems to be amazingly weird.

Also Workaholics which is kinda ok but potentially funny. Hated the cast at first (just like with ASIP) but they start to grow on me.

I'm told that Angel ends very well. Just finished it and saw one of the most disappointing endings I've seen in anything ever.

lol whoever told you that Angel has a good ending was an asshole. That show literally stops in the middle of it. I guess Wheedon did that intentionally to force the studio to continue it.

There is a comic version of Season 6(?) which is ok but imho confusing as hell (at least for someone who doesn't read comics regularly)

SamVimes

lol whoever told you that Angel has a good ending was an asshole. That show literally stops in the middle of it. I guess Wheedon did that intentionally to force the studio to continue it.

What? If Whedon didn't go ahead and ruined it in the comics it would've been a perfect ending.
No, there's nothing ambiguous about it. Everyone in the group dies and they know it as they probably knew it when they decided to take out the Circle of the Black Thorn. Angel is a tragic hero because he seeks redemption (although i disagree with the show here, not a single atrocity commited by Angelus is his fault) when there's absolutely nothing he can do to achieve it. Dying just to inflict a final blow to a pretty much all-powerful enemy is the most selfless act he could do. The final line also fits perfectlywith the overall theme of the show.

Jay Sosa

So that would be...literally everyone I've heard talking about that show?

Clearly hanging out with the wrong crowds.

nah, asshole was the wrong word. It's just that the the TV show simply has no ending.

^ well that's a nice 'theory' but fact is that it just got canceled and was never meant to end that way. Not that I had a big problem with it, I love open endings that leave things open to the interpretation of the viewer/reader. But still it isn't a great ending unlike say the Sopranos with 'don't stop believing' blasting while the credits roll.

oh btw: from wikipedia..always assumed it was canceled due to bad ratings.

It was the second highest-rated program to be canceled on the WB.[27]

Head writer David Fury "guarantees" that if Joss Whedon had not requested an early renewal, Angel would have been back for a Season 6:

The only reason that Angel didn't come back...it's a very simple thing. Because our ratings were up, because of our critical attention, Joss specifically asked Jordan Levin, who was the head of The WB at the time, to give us an early pick-up because every year they [would] wait so long to give Angel a pick-up [and] a lot of us [would] turn down jobs hoping that Angel will continue– he [Joss] didn't want that to happen. So, he was feeling very confident and he [Joss] just asked Jordan, "Like, make your decision now whether you're going to pick us up or not," and Jordan, sort of with his hands tied, with his back up against the wall, called him the next day and said, "Okay, we're cancelling you." Jordan's no longer there and The WB has since recognized...I believe Garth Ancier at The WB said that it was a big mistake to cancel Angel. There was a power play that happened that just didn't fall out the way they wanted it to. We wanted to get an early pick-up, we didn't. In fact we forced them [the WB] to make a decision, and with his hand forced he [Levin] made the decision to cancel us. I guarantee that, if we waited as we normally did, by the time May had come around they would have picked up Angel. I can guarantee that.[28]

Speaking of supernatural shows, how's Supernatural? IMDB's recommendation thing told me to watch it after I said I like Buffy, and now it's even more sure I should watch it after I told it I like Angel as well.

Finished Prison Break yesterday, which was thoroughly enjoyable rubbish throughout. Also 8 episode into Arrested Devlopment, which I love so far, and now have to chose between starting Breaking Bad and carrying on with Lost, which I lost (¬¬) track of after season 2

Jay Sosa

Speaking of supernatural shows, how's Supernatural? IMDB's recommendation thing told me to watch it after I said I like Buffy, and now it's even more sure I should watch it after I told it I like Angel as well.

Absolutely amazing. First season is ok, second one a lot better and then it really starts to get good. It also is the show with the best filler episodes (
especially the ones that break the 4. wall
). Most people will say it peaked at season 4 (or was it 5?) and you can't really argue with that, but it still is a very entertaining show.

dunno about any of those other shows but check out Carnivale, its really dark and pretty looking and the music is great

nah, asshole was the wrong word. It's just that the the TV show simply has no ending.

^ well that's a nice 'theory' but fact is that it just got canceled and was never meant to end that way. Not that I had a big problem with it, I love open endings that leave things open to the interpretation of the viewer/reader. But still it isn't a great ending unlike say the Sopranos with 'don't stop believing' blasting while the credits roll.

I'm not anywhere close to the finishing the series, but was always under the impression that the cancellation was announced with plenty of episodes yet to be produced (Wikipedia just says February, which I suppose could go either way). Same thing happened with Dollhouse.

Jay Sosa

I'm not anywhere close to the finishing the series, but was always under the impression that the cancellation was announced with plenty of episodes yet to be produced (Wikipedia just says February, which I suppose could go either way). Same thing happened with Dollhouse.

Geez don't remind me of Dollhouse. But at least they kinda previewed where they planned to go in future seasons, Angel just ended with a cliffhanger. At the time I watched the final episode of Angel I didn't even know it was. I totally expected another episode the following week :D Kinda like when I watched the final few episodes of Veronica Mars.

SamVimes

It's not like it was cancelled after filming the finale, you can easily tell that even if the last few episodes were proceeding too fast to close plotines (and even then they left a couple hanging) that was meant to be it.

TCRS

Banned
youtube.com. typed "sons of anarchy op...". wanted to search for opening theme. got spoiled big time. don't know which season or episode, but it's definitely after S02E02 (where I'm at right now). FML.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Political Animals (USA) episode 1:

I liked it a lot. Sigourney Weaver is very good in the role of Elaine Barrish (Hillary Clinton), and she steals all of the scenes that she's in. I also thought Carla Gugino was good, as well as Elaine's gay son Sebastian. Ciaran Hinds gave a very exaggerated and over the top performance, however, (as the Bill Clinton equivalent) which I really didn't like. I also really don't like Adrian Pasdar (as Obama) in general, and nothing he did in the pilot made me change my mind.

Despite liking it overall, there were some annoying things which I thought were a little unnecessary:
the gay son is a suicidal drug addict! The fiance of the other son is a bulimic!
Also, some of the dialog is pretty bad. But all in all it's a fun show, and I look forward to watching the rest of the series.

Also: Does USA normally have nudity on their shows? I'm always surprised when I see nudity on a cable show. (AMC/FX only allow for brief, occasional bits of nudity, so I assume USA is also the same?)

dorkimoe

Finally powering through the shield
i watched the first 3 season pretty quick like 5 years ago then i just couldnt get through the 4th season for some reason. Hate glenn close. Then i started it again last year and again noticed i stopped at the exact same point. Finally got past that part and into season 5 now. SO good

strafer

So now I'm done with all the 90210 (2008) seasons.

Wow, what a shift in the later seasons, don't know why but I I got stuck with this show.

S5 in october <3 <.<

Finished Prison Break yesterday, which was thoroughly enjoyable rubbish throughout. Also 8 episode into Arrested Devlopment, which I love so far, and now have to chose between starting Breaking Bad and carrying on with Lost, which I lost (¬¬) track of after season 2

Yes! I've also been on a Prison Break marathon! Just finished the second season and I absolutely love it. I'm skeptical about going on with season 3 and 4 because so many people say it's "repetitive and the same"...Are the haters right?

Pachimari

Finished The Vampire Diaries: Season 01 two weeks ago and wow is it definitely my favorite TV show ever. I have now started The Vampire Diaries: Season 02 and couldn't stop watching so saw like 4 episodes in two days.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just finished the Larry Sanders Show over the weekend. Why did I wait so long to watch it? It definitely deserves a spot among the best comedy shows ever made, and anyone who enjoys shows like 30 Rock or Curb Your Enthusiasm owes it to themselves to check it out. The influence is clearly there. The writing is consistently funny throughout all six seasons, and there are some genuine dramatic moments thanks to the great cast (particularly Jeff Tambor and Rip Torn). It's on Netflix, at least in the US, watch it asap.

Now I feel like I've watched almost all of the good completed series out there. I might try X-Files but it seems dated, or Friday Night Lights but it doesn't seem like my thing at all.

AngryMoth

Just wrapped up season 1 of The Sopranos. Really, really enjoyed it, hope it stays this good throught the 6 seasons. I can see why it gets thrown in the same class as Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Shame I've had the ening scene spoiled countless times in pop culture. Looking forward to watching The Wire now this summer as well, dont know why I've been putting these shows off for so long.

I watched the premiere of Hit & Miss (Chloë Sevigny as a transgender contract killer) this week. Odd show, but I enjoyed it.

Now I feel like I've watched almost all of the good completed series out there. I might try X-Files but it seems dated, or Friday Night Lights but it doesn't seem like my thing at all.
Lots of people think that going in and end up loving it. Give it a shot.

nitewulf

i stopped watching Chuck after season 2...should i finish it? did it end well? i enjoyed it while i watched it, i am wondering what to watch now after finishing The Wire, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, Chuck is definitely not at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom