• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
250px-TwinPeaks_openingshotcredits.jpg

I started watching this last year, but stopped and started again recently. I finished it today, and overall it's an alright show.

I did notice it became a bit fragmented after
the murderer was found
. I think the show should have continued with 13-episode format. It would have worked best.

I hear the final episode is worth watching, but I lost interest after the spoilered point. It lost it's purpose and introduced too many new, less interesting plot points
like the arrival of people from Cooper's past
. The show has some brilliant moments, but it can be meandering at times, particularly when it focuses too much on the shittier characters.

Necrovex

In a TV slump, so I'm thinking about starting White Collar, Burn Notice, or Fringe. I loved Chuck (I still need to finish the series, got to the filler episodes in season 4), so I hear the first two shows I listed are pretty similar regarding the structure.

Any opinion of what I should start on first? I have a month of free time, so I'll get to all of these shows anyway.

In a TV slump, so I'm thinking about starting White Collar, Burn Notice, or Fringe. I loved Chuck (I still need to finish the series, got to the filler episodes in season 4), so I hear the first two shows I listed are pretty similar regarding the structure.

Any opinion of what I should start on first? I have a month of free time, so I'll get to all of these shows anyway.

White Collar and Burn Notice are pretty run of the mill. Fringe at its best is brilliant, but has its share of clunkers to be fair.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I hear the final episode is worth watching, but I lost interest after the spoilered point. It lost it's purpose and introduced too many new, less interesting plot points
like the arrival of people from Cooper's past
. The show has some brilliant moments, but it can be meandering at times, particularly when it focuses too much on the shittier characters.
Well, the story was opening up to uncover the darkness that looms, which included that part of Cooper's story. The final episode is messy, to say the least.

The series reminds me of Riget (The Kingdom), although this came first. They're both eerie, and have a similar surreal aspect.

* * *​

Oz_titlecard.png

I recently finished watching Oz, after years of avoiding the last episodes. I liked it, but I hadn't come to terms with ending it. I instead took an indefinite hiatus, and finally decided to resume it.

I started by reviewing some of the previous episodes; there was a lot of skipping around. The show was done very well, it's awesome.

The last season was unfulfilled, to me, as I wanted things to end a little differently. I think I'll watch the whole thing again sometime later.

TripOpt55

Fringe. Definitely start with Fringe.

Done with season 3 of The Shield and I seriously hope this show ends well, because up to this point there have been about four occasions where a scene, with some minor changes, could easily be turned into a great ending. How many superb endings does this thing have before I get to the actual one they went for?

Also, man that season 3 finale. I get the feeling nobody is going to be happy about anything by the time this show is done.

Falifax

Just finished season 2 of It's always sunny in Philadelphia. Since Danny DeVito joined the cast it's 10 times funnier. Looking forward to see more.

bryanee

I've been making my way through the DCAU stuff. BTAS, STAS and Beyond done. I'm currently on the second season of Justice League. I'm having alot of fun watching these as I always do.

BeeDog

Done with season 3 of The Shield and I seriously hope this show ends well, because up to this point there have been about four occasions where a scene, with some minor changes, could easily be turned into a great ending. How many superb endings does this thing have before I get to the actual one they went for?

Also, man that finale. I get the feeling nobody is going to be happy about anything by the time this show is done.

The show has the best ending in the TV landscape, so don't worry.

I think it's tied with Six Feet Under as the greatest ending. The Shield does NOT disappoint.

Way awesome, because I've been looking at Six Feet Under as well. Just not right now as I still have way too much stuff to watch. My list of "Shows I want to check out at some point" includes The Sopranos, 24, Six Feet Under, The Walking Dead, Sliders, Oz, 30 Rock, Dollhouse, Terriers, Carnivàle, Eureka, Wilfred, Rome, Fawlty Towers, Dead Like Me, The Lost Room, the new Spartacus thing, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The West Wing, Friday Night Lights, Friends and Battlestar Galactica.

The list of shows I've started and really should finish before starting new ones is about half of that list.

Also, a vaguely spoilery thing about The Shield I find hilarious. When I watched the pilot, the twist was pretty much the best goddamn thing I've ever seen. Thing is though, the further I get into the series, the worse the twist becomes. The twist is obviously done for shock value, but is completely out of character. I cannot imagine the scene where these guys talked about their plan of doing what they did in the pilot, without it ending up like the end of season 3.

satriales

See I just wasn't hooked by season 1 like most people. I watched it last summer and I still haven't gotten around to season 2.

I'm not sure how that's possible. The first two two minutes of the first episode alone was enough to get me hooked.

The writer's strike did mean S1 didn't have a proper ending though, and it continues on for season.

Hackbert

Watched Black Mirror Miniseries and Dead Set Miniseries by Charlie Brooker. Great Stuff. Black Mirror was borderline depressing but so good in a twisted dark sense. Especially the second episode.
black-mirror-bing-abi.png

Fry

Pilots of Sons of Anarchy and Person of Interest watched. Both are said to be shows that don't have one of the best starts, but only go to get better.

I'd say I'm already excited, they were pretty promising. Can't wait to watch more.

The pilot for Friends was on and I watched it, because I haven't watched that show and it's on my list. There is a moment where a character literally just says "Hi" and the laughtrack goes BWAHAHAHAHA

Fuck this shit. 2 minutes and 30 seconds and I'm done with this show. I still need a new sitcom to watch though, as all my current ones are done.

Hackbert

The pilot for Friends was on and I watched it, because I haven't watched that show and it's on my list. There is a moment where a character literally just says "Hi" and the laughtrack goes BWAHAHAHAHA

Fuck this shit. 2 minutes and 30 seconds and I'm done with this show. I still need a new sitcom to watch though, as all my current ones are done.

don´t know if it counts as sitcom, but maybe look for "peep show"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdVYVIlccA&feature=related

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
I tore my ankle ligaments a few weeks ago so while off work I made it through 4 series of Breaking Bad, 3 series of Parks and Recreation and 1 series of Bob's Burgers.

Bob's Burgers is ok, it's better than anything Family Guy has done since round about 2 or 3.

At first Parks just felt like a clone of The Office (US) but especially with series 3 I think it comes into it's own. Will definitely watch more of it.

I love Game of Thrones, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead. I was lttp with Breaking Bad but I feel confident in saying it's the best show on TV at the moment. I cant get enough of it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Friends is awesome. :( Have you tried Will and Grace?

Just picked up Louie Season 1 and half way into season 2. Fucking brilliant.

Comedy Bang Bang has been killing it too.

Suits is just goddamn fun.

True Blood has been surprisingly awesome this time around.

Tucah

you speak so well
I started the Wire yesterday. I watched the first episode, thought it was pretty good but then decided to give it a couple more episodes since I've heard it's a slow burn.

Eight episodes in and holy fuck is this show good.

Fry

Fuck this shit. 2 minutes and 30 seconds and I'm done with this show.

Don't do that to yourself. Give Friends another chance.

JaCy

I'm nearly finished with the second season of True Blood. Its good so far, I'm a little annoyed that the plotlines are moving a little slow though.

Ashhong

That doesn't sound right. Going to rewatch the pilot and see what scene you're talking about. There is obviously a reason for laughter. Friends is awesome.

First 3 seasons of Friends are brilliant, after that I didn't like it as much, but still watched it till the end.

But those first three seasons.......

Bazza

The last month iv worked my way through Sanctuary and Burn Notice and am now starting on Leverage, half way through season 2 now.

Quite liked sanctuary in the end, i was a little unsure after the first few episodes but when i got to the last episodes i was a little sad it was cancelled.

Burn notice im really enjoying as well, a few good twists here and there certainly didn't see what was coming in the most recent episode.

The Shield season 5.

Oh my jesus shit dammit :(

I'm a supporter of shitty things happening in stories. I despise forced happy endings and constantly go "Well, if I was writing this..." at things I watch. My version almost always ends horribly for everyone.

But jesus fuck this show man. It's almost too much. The guys just won't catch a break for not even a second. Things are always constantly fucked for everyone and when the situation changes it's usually for the worse. I thought Breaking Bad had some good tension in it but my god, Walter has it easy compared to these guys.

Kwixotik

Any recommended sitcoms? I'm kind of new to television, just started watching recently and my viewing so far has been limited to cartoons and HBO/AMC dramas.

Edit: I've already seen Wilfred, Workaholics, and Roseanne

bjaelke

Any recommended sitcoms? I'm kind of new to television, just started watching recently and my viewing so far has been limited to cartoons and HBO/AMC dramas.

Married With Children and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Modern sitcoms? No.

JLG-

Arrested Development
Seinfeld
Parks & Recreation
Community
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The IT Crowd

KuroNeeko

I just watched the first two episodes of Dexter. Dayum!

I started the Wire yesterday. I watched the first episode, thought it was pretty good but then decided to give it a couple more episodes since I've heard it's a slow burn.

Eight episodes in and holy fuck is this show good.

Yeah, I just finished watching it myself. It's a good show and keeps getting better. Season 4 is probably the peak.

Parks and Recreation is by far the funniest one I've seen recently. Keep in mind that it starts out pretty bad. It gets great rather quickly though.

Also Arrested Development if you've missed that. The people who keep yelling about it being the greatest are correct.

I've been watching the Borgias this last month. Up to episode 3 of season 2 and I am really enjoying it. It's certainly a nice show to look at. That assassin is pretty badass. Great character. Most of all the drama has me hooked. What I was expecting to be rather boring turned out to be a very exciting show.

Frasier! One of the best comedies to ever air, recently watched all 11 seasons over a few months, it's amazing.

Nert

Just watched the first five episodes of the "new" Doctor Who (the 2005 series) on Netflix. There are parts of if that I really love and parts of it that I'm not really getting. The writing is very sharp and I find myself laughing a lot (the villain in episode 2 was hilarious), and I appreciate the show's general quirkiness, but the quieter moments that are supposed to be emotionally impactful come across as jarring and ineffective. As an example, I have trouble buying the moments where the Doctor appears to be upset minor characters' deaths and the like when he spends most of the show acting like a jovial smartass.

I'm interested enough to keep going, but I might opt to watch the list of episodes recommended by people in the Doctor Who thread's OP instead of watching all of them.

TripOpt55

My current favorites are Happy Endings and 30 Rock. Old ones I really liked Seinfeld, SportsNight and Frasier. You could check on of those out.

TCRS

Banned
Just finished Sons of Anarchy season 3... mother of... omg... is this the best season finale ever since Sopranos season 6? Unbelieveable. The whole season kind of felt a little off but this last episode made it all up. That song that playes during the last 10 mins or so.. perfection. What a brilliant series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom