• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started watching True Blood on August 27, I'm already on episode seven of season four. 43 episodes in 12 days. I've never gotten into a show as much as this before.

Damn good show, one of the most entertaining ones I've watched in a long time.

Solo

Holy fuck those final minutes of 4.11 were unsettling as fuuuuuuuuck. WOW.
Walt fucking scared me there with his defeated maniacal laughter

Solo

I'm done for the night, so the final 2 eps of S4 will wait until tomorrow! Should be one hell of an ending the way things are ramping up.

Necrovex

I finally watch some Dr. Who. I went through Blink, and the two-parter of the Library. Really good episode, though I enjoyed Blink a bit more than the latter half of the library; the first half was just as good as Blink.

So, I am ready to start with Smith's doctor. I'll watch season 5, and then I can peacefully return to Fringe and watch the second season of that.

I finally watch some Dr. Who. I went through Blink, and the two-parter of the Library. Really good episode, though I enjoyed Blink a bit more than the latter half of the library; the first half was just as good as Blink.

So, I am ready to start with Smith's doctor. I'll watch season 5, and then I can peacefully return to Fringe and watch the second season of that.

Any particular reason you're skipping the Eccleston and Tennant series?

T Dollarz

Just finished S1e13 of Arrested Development. Gawd I am loving this show. Every character is awesome in their own way. One of the best casts of characters I've seen in a TV show. I do wish the father got more screen time though. Lucille is sinister as fuck and it's so amusing. Crazy to see Michael Cera play pretty much the same character he's always played, just the 14 year old version. LOL at this story arc with Tobias finally taking off the short shorts and looks like he's about to fully embrace nudity. This show's great.

rekameohs

Banned
Holy shit, Solo. You already got up to Crawl Space? Your marathoning is crazy.

And the end of that episode is one of the craziest, best things I've ever seen. It doesn't lighten up there, though. Last 2 episodes and Season 5 are relentless.

Necrovex

Any particular reason you're skipping the Eccleston and Tennant series?

A few reasons: I made an exchange with a friend for him to watch the first season of Fringe, and I have to watch the first season of Smith's Doctor; A gaffer a few pages back recommended those three episodes, and to start with Smith too; Eccleston seems to be a bad place to start watching the Who according to many people; The reason I'm not watching Tennant is to actually be able to talk about the latest season of Who with friends.

I'll watch Eccleston and Tennant if I enjoy Smith's doctor.

Just finished S1e13 of Arrested Development. Gawd I am loving this show. Every character is awesome in their own way. One of the best casts of characters I've seen in a TV show. I do wish the father got more screen time though. Lucille is sinister as fuck and it's so amusing. Crazy to see Michael Cera play pretty much the same character he's always played, just the 14 year old version. LOL at this story arc with Tobias finally taking off the short shorts and looks like he's about to fully embrace nudity. This show's great.

He's a Nevernude.

forrest

formerly nacire
Okay loved season 4 of The Wire, good shit! And I have to say Sons of Anarchy season 4 surprised the shit out of me and got really good at the end. I'll hold my overall opinion on the Wire until the end of season 5, Im definitely loving it, but Im not ready to build an alter and sacrifice my family in tribute just yet.

reKon

Banned
I caught up in Breaking Bad after a few weeks. I have two left until I'm caught up with this season. Shit just keeps more crazy. I have a feeling like I'm going to be left with the worse cliff hanger ever before the second part of Season 5, lol.

A few reasons: I made an exchange with a friend for him to watch the first season of Fringe, and I have to watch the first season of Smith's Doctor; A gaffer a few pages back recommended those three episodes, and to start with Smith too; Eccleston seems to be a bad place to start watching the Who according to many people; The reason I'm not watching Tennant is to actually be able to talk about the latest season of Who with friends.

I'll watch Eccleston and Tennant if I enjoy Smith's doctor.

Yeah, if you enjoy the show overall (and there's no reason why you shouldn't if you enjoyed Blink/Silence In The Library) you should definitely go back and watch Seasons 1-4 when you have the time. As you've seen yourself now, there are some gems throughout and both Eccleston and Tennant are great doctors.

But I think you're absolutely right to be starting with Season 5 and you're not really at a disadvantage watching it out of order. The two main things that carry forward are The Weeping Angels and River Song (the woman in Silence In The Library with the Tardis diary) so you're set now.

Fry

also Jim Beaver, and I think I saw Devil but I never checked to make sure it was him

Yep, you're right. I had to double check to see if it was really Devil, too.

I love it because let's be honest, Justified's cast is absolutely awesome. I would LOVE to see Goggins in BB.

Hindle

Banned
Just finished Arrested Development S1, it was ok in places and genuinely hilarious in other parts as well. Does it get funnier in the second season?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Started watching homeland on the recommendation of a few Gaffers. I'm 2 episodes in and I'm not sure if I dig it.

The female lead's acting is really turning me off. Nearly Dexter level bad.

Does it get better GAF? Should I keep watching?

Just finished Arrested Development S1, it was ok in places and genuinely hilarious in other parts as well. Does it get funnier in the second season?

To me the first season is just setting up the jokes to come later. AD does a great job of the 'call back' and foreshadowing itself. Keep watching.

big ander

Season 2 is better, but season 1 is still fantastic. So it gets better but not markedly.
Started watching homeland on the recommendation of a few Gaffers. I'm 2 episodes in and I'm not sure if I dig it.

Hm. Well her performance was pretty universally loved, both here on gaf and by critics. she won a golden globe and was nominated for an emmy, not that awards are always an indication of quality. I'm trying to think of where you are in the series and what you know about Carrie at that point.
you did just see Carrie get pill supplied to her by her sister, right? Wiki says that was in the second episode. So you know that she's not right in the head, yeah? Well that's sort of what defines her character, makes her volatile but also a great agent.
I'd keep with it if I were you but I don't know if you'll turn around on Danes. I would hope so, cause her performance really does get magnificent.

elkayes

I watched The Wire Season 1. Unexpectedly this show really is as good as everyone was telling me. For once a show that never really felt staged or blown out of proportion (Which can be amazing as well - see Breaking Bad), but realistic start to finish.

Love Bubbles, love Kima. And the scene in the Bar with McNulty and Bunk shitfaced is one of my favorites moments in television. ("I knew it was your first time. I wanted to make that shit special").

Only Avon Barksdale felt weak as a character. Never got the impression that this guy could really run a drug empire.
Kinda felt like Stringer Bell was just witing for something to happen. Guy seems completly in control of everything all the time

I watched The Wire Season 1. Unexpectedly this show really is as good as everyone was telling me. For once a show that never really felt staged or blown out of proportion (Which can be amazing as well - see Breaking Bad), but realistic start to finish.

Love Bubbles, love Kima. And the scene in the Bar with McNulty and Bunk shitfaced is one of my favorites moments in television. ("I knew it was your first time. I wanted to make that shit special").

Only Avon Barksdale felt weak as a character. Never got the impression that this guy could really run a drug empire.
Kinda felt like Stringer Bell was just witing for something to happen. Guy seems completly in control of everything all the time

there are a lot more of those scenes with Bunk and Mcnulty and they're always amazing. One of those moments from season 2 is possibly my favorite moment from the entire series. Bunk is hilarious and has some of the greatest lines ever when he's drunk

Absolutely worth it for her breakdown. One of my favorite TV characters.

Visceir

Decided to give White Collar a try, the first episodes were actually quite good and entertaining but as I kept on watching more the show became really dull and tedious to watch.

It seems like every episode was eventually build up so that they had that one side-case and then gave a little bit more info on the main story at the end of the episode. Eventually I found myself just scrolling to the end of the episode and watching the little bit of information on the main story I actually cared about.

The characters themselves seem also rather badly written and the main FBI guy just seems like a huge douche...dunno if it's the person playing the character or how he was asked to play the character.

Necrovex

Decided to give White Collar a try, the first episodes were actually quite good and entertaining but as I kept on watching more the show became really dull and tedious to watch.

It seems like every episode was eventually build up so that they had that one side-case and then gave a little bit more info on the main story at the end of the episode. Eventually I found myself just scrolling to the end of the episode and watching the little bit of information on the main story I actually cared about.

The characters themselves seem also rather badly written and the main FBI guy just seems like a huge douche...dunno if it's the person playing the character or how he was asked to play the character.

I gave White Collar a few episode, and I hit the same problem as you. I really dislike the case-a-week aspect of the show, and the main story plotline does nothing for me. I decided to drop WC for Fringe. I don't regret that decision at all.

Dany

Banned
So I and my roommate, Sai Kun watched the battlestar galactaca miniseries thing. I've never seen the show before. This was going to be my intro into it and OMG it was awesome. Everything about the score, the way scenes were shot, characters, the cinematography the story, the 'twist' at the end of the series was so damn good. I am SOOOO PUMMMPED to watch the rest of hte show now.

Holy fuck those final minutes of 4.11 were unsettling as fuuuuuuuuck. WOW.
Walt fucking scared me there with his defeated maniacal laughter

My favorite scene of any tv show ever.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Season 2 is better, but season 1 is still fantastic. So it gets better but not markedly.

Hm. Well her performance was pretty universally loved, both here on gaf and by critics. she won a golden globe and was nominated for an emmy, not that awards are always an indication of quality. I'm trying to think of where you are in the series and what you know about Carrie at that point.
you did just see Carrie get pill supplied to her by her sister, right? Wiki says that was in the second episode. So you know that she's not right in the head, yeah? Well that's sort of what defines her character, makes her volatile but also a great agent.
I'd keep with it if I were you but I don't know if you'll turn around on Danes. I would hope so, cause her performance really does get magnificent.

Yes, that is right where I'm at.
I saw where Billings called her out on the pills, then she ran out and had to get some from her sis. I also saw where she tried to get out of trouble by sexual favors for her boss and was shot down.

Maybe I was too harsh in my critique of her performance. The first few episodes of most shows are wobbly while they try to find their legs. I'll keep going.

Necrovex

Saw the first episode of Series 5 (Smith's introduction) of Dr. Who. Pretty good episode. It looks like this should be a good season .

Watched Buffy simultaneously with Angel for the first time, after that Firefly. Now I'm on Star Trek. I've been feeling nostalgic after that Joss Whedon kick.

I've heard great things about the bbc shows Dr Who and MI-5. I was wondering if they are continuing story lines from series to series, or of I can just choose one at random (suggestions welcome) and be good to go?

I've heard great things about the bbc shows Dr Who and MI-5. I was wondering if they are continuing story lines from series to series, or of I can just choose one at random (suggestions welcome) and be good to go?

With Doctor Who it's best to start at Season 1 (of new Who) or Season 5. Some things do carry over from season to season, but Season 5 was a fresh start with new cast and crew so it's a good starting point. Check out this post I made earlier in the week for someone looking to start.

I can't help you with MI-5 but another BBC show I'd recommend is Luther and Sherlock if you haven't already seen it.

Solo

"I won."

Just finished BB S4. While I thought S3 had a better finale, I think S4 was probably the best season overall so far. The only thing I didn't like about the finale was
the shot of Gus walking out and straightening his tie with his face half blown off. That shit was cartoony
. Otherwise though, great cap off to an amazing season. Almost felt like it could have been a series finale. And that final
shot was fucking disturbing, as we see that Walt is really no better or moral than Gus was. In fact, he may be worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom