• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

I'm about halfway through season 2 in Deadwood, and I'm really taking my time over it, like one every 2 weeks, savouring it. I remember getting to this monologue in season 1 and halfway through it just being taken aback and thinking, jesus christ this is amazing.

Ian McShane is so damn good that no matter how good the show is, I found it hard to enjoy the first four episodes of season 2 when
Al gets kidney stones and hardly says anything
. Big spoiler there I know (it's not).

Ian McShane was scary good in Deadwood man. Its hard for me to even imagine how in the heck he put himself soooooo into his character. He would just SLAY the dialog handed to him. Incredible.

Ctrl A1t Elite

Neo Member
I got given the boxset of Six Feet Under for Christmas and have watched the first episode. Has to be the best pilot of anything I've ever watched. Each character was brought into it so perfectly, I feel like I've been watching it for years. Perfect pacing also. I can tell dis gon' be good.

not sure if this is considered a tv show, but I watched jack irish last night and loved it, but then I love pretty much anything with guy pearce in it.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been rewatching The West Wing. It's my favorite TV show, and this is my third watch. It's stunning how fast this show moves. I'm mid-season three right now, and I'm up to Amy Gardener, I've always had a bit of a crush on Mary Louise Parker, and holy cow, she is spectacular.

tumblr_mesefgrGt41qhf8a2.gif

Bartlett is about to ask his wife's friends how long it'll take to cure cancer. This is actually a pretty weak episode. It's funny that the show was initially going to center around Sam and speech writing, and this is really the first, and only episode that heavily does that with Sam as the focus.

Bladenic

I've been rewatching The West Wing. It's my favorite TV show, and this is my third watch. It's stunning how fast this show moves. I'm mid-season three right now, and I'm up to Amy Gardener, I've always had a bit of a crush on Mary Louise Parker, and holy cow, she is spectacular.

tumblr_mesefgrGt41qhf8a2.gif

Bartlett is about to ask his wife's friends how long it'll take to cure cancer. This is actually a pretty weak episode. It's funny that the show was initially going to center around Sam and speech writing, and this is really the first, and only episode that heavily does that with Sam as the focus.

I need to watch this show. Is it on Netflix or Hulu?

LevelNth

Banned
So I started watching Friday Night Lights a couple weeks back, about halfway into Season 2 now.

First season was really awesome, was surprised at how many issues they tackled extremely well (Degrassi-esque even), and really there wasn't a character I disliked. Chandler is awesome and so is his wife (forget her name).

Season 2 however is like a totally different show. Very little football, and it's veered off on these strange tangents and silly storylines.
The Tyra/Landry murder thing was ridiculous, and I just got to the part where Tim of course is helping Julie but gets mistaken for I guess pseudo raping her? Idiotic.

I think I read here a while ago it gets back on track Season 3, but man oh man it has been a HUGE drop in quality.

I'm up on ep5 of GoT, and wow, I wasn't expecting at the full frontal from that Theon Greyjoy. I may have a crush on Richard Madden too lol.

Seriously though, The show has been entertaining so far. My favorite is The Imp, guy's awesome. Pity he's hasn't been on more often.

Empty

npr's fresh air podcast feed uploaded an old interview with the creators of englightened (hbo) the other day which is a show i'd never heard of before, but the main guy especially gave an good interview and it seemed like the themes were interesting so i decided the check the first season out.

loooove it. it's endearing, frustrating and beautiful in all the right ways, taking the david brent mold of the show driven by a character lacking self-conciousness and restraint and as such annoying everyone but flipping it on its head and making laura dern's lead very sympathetic. i found its core idea - exploring the struggles one has earnestly trying to improve themselves in a difficult world and within the confines of your own flaws and previous mistakes - very real and it really resonanted with me. the core relationships between dern and her the ex-husband, her closest colleague and her mother were all explored in quite nice ways too. though funnily, despite most of my appreciation being for how it focused in dern's struggles, my favourite episode was the one that switched it up and focused on her mother which was heartbreaking and made me totally cry. i'd also like to give some appreciation for the direction which used voiceover narration in a real soulful way almost like a malick film for their brief moments, which was nice for a thirty minute tv comedy. it's not perfect and has a few rough edges but i really enjoyed it.

anyway watching it made me realize how much i like a particular niche of tv that are basically comedies that people might criticize for not being funny enough as they have lots of dramatic stuff. good examples might be louie season 3 and freaks and geeks and englightened slots in there as well as the best example. with a lot of tv dramas they need a big concept to sell themselves like meth dealing or international terrorism or zombie attacks, even much slower stuff like mad men that scratch similar itches still has lots of soap opera drama and uses don draper's large charisma and coolness and says things about america in general, whereas these shows can more easily tell very grounded stories about basic things in life which is something i really love in film and think is especially amazing with the length of a tv show when the writers have the will and ability to pull it off.

I think The League takes a bit to start firing on all cylinders because it's a largely improvised show, and improv only gets better as the players get more and more time to refine and know their characters.
Second season was hilarious, and I'm looking forward to watching more. Interesting that they're doing so much improv for the show - I should check out some outtakes when I have time.
I think I read here a while ago it gets back on track Season 3, but man oh man it has been a HUGE drop in quality.
Just keep watching. The beginning of S2 is extremely problematic, but it gets back on track by the end of S2 and S3-S5 are great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
npr's fresh air podcast feed uploaded an old interview with the creators of englightened (hbo) the other day which is a show i'd never heard of before, but the main guy especially gave an good interview and it seemed like the themes were interesting so i decided the check the first season out.

loooove it. it's endearing, frustrating and beautiful in all the right ways, taking the david brent mold of the show driven by a character lacking self-conciousness and restraint and as such annoying everyone but flipping it on its head and making laura dern's lead very sympathetic. i found its core idea - exploring the struggles one has earnestly trying to improve themselves in a difficult world and within the confines of your own flaws and previous mistakes - very real and it really resonanted with me. the core relationships between dern and her the ex-husband, her closest colleague and her mother were all explored in quite nice ways too. though funnily, despite most of my appreciation being for how it focused in dern's struggles, my favourite episode was the one that switched it up and focused on her mother which was heartbreaking and made me totally cry. i'd also like to give some appreciation for the direction which used voiceover narration in a real soulful way almost like a malick film for their brief moments, which was nice for a thirty minute tv comedy. it's not perfect and has a few rough edges but i really enjoyed it.

anyway watching it made me realize how much i like a particular niche of tv that are basically comedies that people might criticize for not being funny enough as they have lots of dramatic stuff. good examples might be louie season 3 and freaks and geeks and englightened slots in there as well as the best example. with a lot of tv dramas they need a big concept to sell themselves like meth dealing or international terrorism or zombie attacks, even much slower stuff like mad men that scratch similar itches still has lots of soap opera drama and uses don draper's large charisma and coolness and says things about america in general, whereas these shows can more easily tell very grounded stories about basic things in life which is something i really love in film and think is especially amazing with the length of a tv show when the writers have the will and ability to pull it off.

*thumbs up* I'm glad to see another person on GAF discover Enlightened. It's my favorite show on HBO. I hope to see you in the season 2 thread!

As I'm sure many people are, I've started watching The West Wing since it went up on Netflix. I've watched a lot of it before but looking forward to going through it all from the start.

I'll be honest in saying a lot of the political stuff goes way over my head, but it often doesn't matter. The characters and drama are so great, it's just a joy to watch.

Snake

So I started watching Friday Night Lights a couple weeks back, about halfway into Season 2 now.

Season 2 however is like a totally different show. Very little football, and it's veered off on these strange tangents and silly storylines.
The Tyra/Landry murder thing was ridiculous, and I just got to the part where Tim of course is helping Julie but gets mistaken for I guess pseudo raping her? Idiotic.

Rest assured that the show will surge back into greatness soon enough.

Season 2 is a necessary trial that we must all endure in order to truly appreciate what is to come.

Fry

Mad Men's first two episodes watched. Not bad, not bad. I've been more tolerable about it this time around and I let myself enjoy it much more than before.

Also, I loled when I saw Bertram Cooper was from this show. Had no idea.

StuBurns

Banned
As I'm sure many people are, I've started watching The West Wing since it went up on Netflix. I've watched a lot of it before but looking forward to going through it all from the start.

I'll be honest in saying a lot of the political stuff goes way over my head, but it often doesn't matter. The characters and drama are so great, it's just a joy to watch.
I don't think you'll have any trouble, I'm English, know nothing about American politics, but it makes it all very easy to follow.

Amy Adams is in my next episode, she is very fetching.

Bladenic

Mad Men's first two episodes watched. Not bad, not bad. I've been more tolerable about it this time around and I let myself enjoy it much more than before.

Also, I loled when I saw Bertram Cooper was from this show. Had no idea.

You've tried watching before? What exactly didn't work the first time?

-Stranger-

Just finished season 3 of Boardwalk Empire, which has become one of my favorite shows now.

Now I'm watching:

Deadwood Season 3
Treme Season 2
Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 5

Over the last few weeks I watched all of The League after a few friends recommended it. One of my new favorite shows for sure. Great characters and situations they get put in. Some episodes' plots reminded me of something that would be on Seinfeld, which made sense considering a couple of the writers worked on Seinfeld as well.

Also been watching Game of Thrones. On the sixth episode of Season 2 currently. Such a good show. Can't wait to finish it up, but the wait for Season 3 is gonna suck.

First season was really awesome, was surprised at how many issues they tackled extremely well (Degrassi-esque even), and really there wasn't a character I disliked. Chandler is awesome and so is his wife (forget her name).

It definitely returns to form in Season 3. It is so worth the wait. The writer's strike definitely didn't help Season 2 either.

I don't think you'll have any trouble, I'm English, know nothing about American politics, but it makes it all very easy to follow.

Amy Adams is in my next episode, she is very fetching.

That's the other great thing, so many random recognisable actors and actresses. Edward James Olmos!

Hindle

Banned
Currently 2 episodes into Homeland and yea I'm liking it. The pacing is too fast though, and it's a premise that I can see becoming a bit stupid.

Empty

*thumbs up* I'm glad to see another person on GAF discover Enlightened. It's my favorite show on HBO. I hope to see you in the season 2 thread!

neat. i didn't know we had a thread (probably because i can't even spell the name of the show right) i'll make sure to pop in.

still working through Oz, up to season 4 now. I never actually finished this series, though I watched at least the first four seasons multiple times long ago. Last few seasons should be interesting. Kind of in awe at the sheer amount of actors on this show who later appeared in The Wire

Just finished watching
Shirley Bellinger's execution, that shit was brutal. Also in the middle of the subplot with Beecher's kids which is super fucked up

Few eps into 24 season 3, and am I crazy for thinking it's gotten noticeably better since
Kim has joined the CTU?
I hope it stays like this because the show suffers anytime it's not focused on the main storyline.

Fry

Just had a major mindblown. I thought Vincent Kartheiser (Pete Campbell) was the main character from L.A. Noire. So I googled him and he was in fact in the game, but not as the main character. So I kept watching the episode and I look at Ken and I say 'he also looks like the dude from L.A. Noire.' Then I googled him and bam. He's Cole Phelps.

TCRS

Banned
Sons of Anarchy S05E03

MAJOR SPOILER

omg... no fucking way... omg... no way. fuck. opie was my favourite character, the best looking of the bunch with the best looking bike as well. but fuck. it just happened so suddenly. man. still in shock.

kaskade

I just started watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia since they put it up on Netflix. I'm only about half way through the second season and it's definitely better than the first. Which usually seems like the case with a lot of TV of that kind of style anyway. Really awesome though.

Bladenic

I just started watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia since they put it up on Netflix. I'm only about half way through the second season and it's definitely better than the first. Which usually seems like the case with a lot of TV of that kind of style anyway. Really awesome though.

One of the best comedies on TV. I think S4 is the best season, but I don't think there is one single weak season honestly.

Sons of Anarchy S05E03

MAJOR SPOILER

omg... no fucking way... omg... no way. fuck. opie was my favourite character, the best looking of the bunch with the best looking bike as well. but fuck. it just happened so suddenly. man. still in shock.

Five Seasons into a show, and for them to be able to pull off something completely devastating and emotional like that-Sons of Anarchy truly is a good show. Incredibly uneven sometimes-but overall such a great show.

Joni

Just watched through the entire series of Heroes on Blu-Ray, and I really have to change my opinion on the series. I originally thought it started out as a great show that really dropped in quality, but that is just wrong. It was very mediocre from the start, it was just easier to notice after the first season. Jack Coleman and Zachary Quinto are the only good thing to come out of the series.

Cipherr

Just watched through the entire series of Heroes on Blu-Ray, and I really have to change my opinion on the series. I originally thought it started out as a great show that really dropped in quality, but that is just wrong. It was very mediocre from the start, it was just easier to notice after the first season. Jack Coleman and Zachary Quinto are the only good thing to come out of the series.

I re watched it recently too. Some of the acting even in season 1 was so bad. I think I didnt notice it as much though, because the universe was so interesting in S1. Once they lost that in the later seasons, the bad acting and campiness rose to the surface and were more easily noticeable.

But I still think S1 was a decent watch if you could handle the corny acting and buckets of cliches everywhere.

Linkhero1

I need a new show to watch. Recommend me something based off my taste :p

My favorite TV shows so far that I have finished watching or I'm in the process of watching:

The Shield
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
SuperNatural
Dexter (I stopped after Season 4 since 5 was pretty bad)

I need a new show to watch. Recommend me something based off my taste :p

My favorite TV shows so far that I have finished watching or I'm in the process of watching:

The Shield
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
SuperNatural
Dexter (I stopped after Season 4 since 5 was pretty bad)

Sherlock! It's only six episodes.

Davey Cakes

Still working through Battlestar Galactica. In season 2 right now. It was good, and then episode 10 happened (the first episode with the Pegasus), and then I couldn't help but watch a second episode in a row. Now 11 episodes in and I almost feel like marathoning the rest of the season! I love the plot line change.

"I'm getting my men." YESSSSS. I love me some Badass Adama.

Bladenic

Just finished the last episode of United States of Tara. Overall, I highly enjoyed it and Toni Collette is absolutely amazing in the role. I have a few problems with how it ended, but it wasn't completely unsatisfying. Was the series finale filmed as an actual finale or did they not know they were getting canceled quick enough to make it final? It definitely felt like a series finale, but I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom