• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished watching Dexter season 7 and Homeland season 2. I though both were really good. Also watched the first half of the new Supernatural season(7 I think).

Is that just because you're super busy or something? Luck, at least in my opinion, is the type of show that would really benefit from watching in larger chunks.

Yeah I haven't really got time to be watching it in bigger chunks. Though one hour each night seems to be what I prefer anyway.

Heh, it must take you at least half a year to make it through a series like The Wire then.

Not at all. I bailed on The Wire after a season 2. :p

But yeah, I usually like to take my time and savor shows that aren't of the cliffhanger variety. Stuff like Breaking Bad I could probably consume within a week if I hadn't already been watching it.

oneils

I'm watching the ink master marathon on spike tv. Not bad for a lazy day. What really surprises me is Navarro's presenting skills. He's pretty solid.

zoukka

Many shows would suffer if you watch them too fast. Like 6 feet under, it was perfect as one ep a week. Some are designed so that it feels like there's a perioud of time passing between each episode.

Necrovex

What is the overall thought of season five of Fringe? I'm planning to jump back into this show (second season atm) after I complete the fifth season of Supernatural (I am pretending that is the final season for that show).

Bladenic

On Season 2 of Chuck, right after the Christmas episode. S2 has been way better than S1, which I still liked, and damn this show is awesome.

big ander

What is the overall thought of season five of Fringe? I'm planning to jump back into this show (second season atm) after I complete the fifth season of Supernatural (I am pretending that is the final season for that show).
it was pretty unanimously agreed that season 4 was a huge misfire after season 2/3 were so great. Season 5 has been a bit more divisive, but overall people are loving it as a finale, I think.

dorkimoe

Really close to finishing season 1 of jericho, good stuff. I feel like one of the rules of the town is, if you work in the grocery store you have to be a bitch

Necrovex

On Season 2 of Chuck, right after the Christmas episode. S2 has been way better than S1, which I still liked, and damn this show is awesome.

Season two of Chuck is some of the best network TV around. It's a pity that it never reached that point again. The later seasons are simply eh worthy.

it was pretty unanimously agreed that season 4 was a huge misfire after season 2/3 were so great. Season 5 has been a bit more divisive, but overall people are loving it as a finale, I think.

Rad, seems like I should enjoy my time with Fringe then.

I worked my way through How to Make it in America the last couple of weeks. Amusing show with some likable characters and the soundtrack is great.

I also started watching The League this week and tore through the first season. It's a little rough at first, but it seems like they're starting to hit their stride now and the laughs are coming more frequently.

I've heard as much :( are the last season and finale good, at least?
It's worth checking out if you have the time and interest. As long as you go in with adjusted expectations, the later seasons are still fun.

After finishing S2 of Boardwalk Empire I just want to say that if you've ever said "Boredwalk Empire" anywhere then you are wrong and stupid and you probably smell bad. I wanted to finish season 2 and then get back to Six Feet Under, but BE just had to go and be one of the greatest TV shows I've ever seen so I have to keep going.

Also finished Series 4 of Peep Show and I'm enjoying that show more and more the further I get.

GQman2121

Banned
Anyone watch Magic City? Watched the pilot last night and was not impressed. I have the second episode to watch, but if it doesn't pickup in any meaningful way, I'm dropping it. They're just not doing anything new or even original with the mob in Miami.

big ander

Is Game of Thrones worth the time investment?
I'll give the extremely helpful answer of: maybe. It's not as good as a lot of other stuff on TV. The pacing is a little disjointed and the structure of the show (jumping around within episodes to people barely connected thousands of miles apart) sort of prevents each episode from having a massively strong thematic throughline. But it's a fun watch for the huge scale and political wit alone, and several of the characters are plenty endearing. If you have the time it's worth it, just to be part of a cultural phenomenon.
I worked my way through How to Make it in America the last couple of weeks. Amusing show with some likable characters and the soundtrack is great.

I also started watching The League this week and tore through the first season. It's a little rough at first, but it seems like they're starting to hit their stride now and the laughs are coming more frequently.

HtMiiA was one of those laid-back shows that you don't love but hate to see go. Was great to decompress watching that.

I think The League takes a bit to start firing on all cylinders because it's a largely improvised show, and improv only gets better as the players get more and more time to refine and know their characters.

Bladenic

I started Season 7 of It's Always Sunny. Is this considered a weak season? Because the first 2 episodes had me rolling. Season 6 had some really funny episodes too. Perhaps not as consistent as earlier season episodes, but still way better than most sitcoms.

I'll give the extremely helpful answer of: maybe. It's not as good as a lot of other stuff on TV. The pacing is a little disjointed and the structure of the show (jumping around within episodes to people barely connected thousands of miles apart) sort of prevents each episode from having a massively strong thematic throughline. But it's a fun watch for the huge scale and political wit alone, and several of the characters are plenty endearing. If you have the time it's worth it, just to be part of a cultural phenomenon.

Thanks, the jumping was kind of confusing while watching the first episode the other day, but I did enjoy it. With tv the threat of decreasing quality is always a bummer :p

Merlin Series Finale WTF was that...

They killed off Morgana, Mordred and Aurthur...then flash to the future and you see an old Merlin walking the street where lake Avalon is...

GoT is pretty good, but you really ought to join Boardwalk GAF, Charles. Best show on television by far.

For an incentive to start: Scorsese directs the first episode.

Depends what else you haven't seen. Definitely stuff to be watched before GoT.

I haven't watched any shows in years probably since early 2007. At least not new, not that I followed. I haven't even watched anything like The Sopranos either lol.

GoT is pretty good, but you really ought to join Boardwalk GAF, Charles. Best show on television by far.

For an incentive to start: Scorsese directs the first episode.

Sold.

Ctrl A1t Elite

Neo Member
I haven't watched any shows in years probably since early 2007. At least not new, not that I followed. I haven't even watched anything like The Sopranos either lol.

Well, having just come out of finishing The Sopranos, I suggest... no... I urge you to watch it because it's absolutely incredible. The only thing I can recommend that's better than it is Breaking Bad, which you should also watch.

You won't regret it.

Edit: Wait, you haven't watched The Sopranos? O_O

Not a single episode lol.

I've mostly watched sitcoms, almost only that. Abandoned tv for years.

So I'm interested in watching some of what's considered great. I was thinking Sopranos since I like gangster stuff. But rented GoT for something newer.

Well, having just come out of finishing The Sopranos, I suggest... no... I urge you to watch it because it's absolutely incredible. The only thing I can recommend that's better than it is Breaking Bad, which you should also watch.

I've heard good things about both.

Omzz

Just finished the first season of The Shield and loved it. Just curious though, how well does it hold up? Is it consistent?

iammeiam

Ran through the first two seasons of Justified in the span of about a week and a half. Enjoyed it once the first five or six episodes were out of the way. It's weird to watch a show where law enforcement shooting and killing criminals consistently remains a Big Deal.

Just finished the first season of The Shield and loved it. Just curious though, how well does it hold up? Is it consistent?

It's remarkably solid throughout, and you haven't really seen the show hit its stride yet. If I had to pick a weak point, I'd say part of season four may seem like the show may be in danger of losing steam, but then it picks up again. Seasons five, six, and seven are stellar and build on the foundation laid out in the first four seasons. Has one of the strongest series finales of all time, and is a rare series that seemed to last exactly as long as it needed to to tell its story.

The Sopranos is the best show to have graced television hands down. Boardwalk has been teetering upon entering the Sopranos tier, but isn't quite there yet. The idea that Breaking Bad is better than The Sopranos right now is beyond ridiculous.

Cipherr

lol... yeah man it will hold. It will definitely hold.

There is no escaping the ups and downs of a show, some episodes are stronger than others, but it never ever got to the point that I lacked a desire to start the next episode ASAP.

That show just builds and builds and buillllllds until it explodes like a volcano at the end.

The Sopranos is the best show to have graced television hands down. Boardwalk has been teetering upon entering the Sopranos tier, but isn't quite there yet. The idea that Breaking Bad is better than The Sopranos right now is beyond ridiculous.

Nice. Yes, I've heard many times that it's the best, so I'm very interested in it; specially since I love gangster stuff (you know I love Marty and The Godfather) as I said before.

The idea that Boardwalk is anything other than hamfisted shit is ludicrous.

Breaking Bad is leagues above Boardwalk Empire and on rather equal footing with The Sopranos. I like it more, but the two in such a high tier of quality that at this point its just subjective preference for the story and characters that could distinguish which is "better".

A period piece a masterpiece does not automatically make. Especially when it's pedantically pointless boredom like Boardwalk. Unless it somehow sprung wings overnight in Season 3 (I dropped it after Season 2).

Nice. Yes, I've heard many times that it's the best, so I'm very interested in it; specially since I love gangster stuff (you know I love Marty and The Godfather) as I said before.

You'll love it. I don't know how it' possible not to love that show. You'll also appreciate the countless references to films as well.

Also, do yourself a favor and read the Song of Ice and Fire books. The TV show is excellent fan service and can probably hold its own without the backdrop of the books, but much like the LOTR films, it hardly does justice to the glory of the books. I especially recommend reading A Storm of Swords before Season 3. It is infinitely excellent.

Ran through the first two seasons of Justified in the span of about a week and a half. Enjoyed it once the first five or six episodes were out of the way. It's weird to watch a show where law enforcement shooting and killing criminals consistently remains a Big Deal.
Shootouts are remarkably violent and short on that show. You don't pull on someone unless you intend to kill them, and people don't miss very often. It's one of my favorite aspects of Justified.

Ctrl A1t Elite

Neo Member
I'm about halfway through season 2 in Deadwood, and I'm really taking my time over it, like one every 2 weeks, savouring it. I remember getting to this monologue in season 1 and halfway through it just being taken aback and thinking, jesus christ this is amazing.

Ian McShane is so damn good that no matter how good the show is, I found it hard to enjoy the first four episodes of season 2 when
Al gets kidney stones and hardly says anything
. Big spoiler there I know (it's not).

big ander

You won't regret it.

Edit: Wait, you haven't watched The Sopranos? O_O

Didn't you just admit to not having finished The Wire? Heh, I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the entire holy trinity of The Wire/Sopranos/Deadwood (expansion to include The Shield and Oz is also acceptable) can really be taken aback that someone hasn't seen another part of it

Ahuahuahuahua!

Different when you're Jewish on Christmas day and everything is shut!

Didn't you just admit to not having finished The Wire? Heh, I don't think anyone who hasn't seen the entire holy trinity of The Wire/Sopranos/Deadwood (expansion to include The Shield and Oz is also acceptable) can really be taken aback that someone hasn't seen another part of it

Difference is I gave The Wire a good chance. I watched two whole seasons of the show before deciding it really wasn't my thing/worth putting my time into three more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom