• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami Vice - Season 1

So good.

Now I wanna play some Vice City.

First 3 seasons are really good but the rest of the show is mediocre especially the silly stunt casting of Sheena Easton as Crockett's wife. Still it was cutting edge at the time, with excellent direction and editting and some solid writing and of course Olmos is always amazing in anything he does. . On another note it was so incredibly stupid when NBC decided to pit it head to head against the juggernaught of the time Dallas.

Also a little Miami Vice/Dallas connection. While Vice was airing Olmos was married to Katja Keel who was the daugter of actor Howard Keel who played Clayton Farlow on Dallas.

Miami Vice - Season 1

So good.

Now I wanna play some Vice City.

Wow, that's an crazy coincidence. After seeing a bunch of random episodes through the years, I finally decided to really sink my teeth into Miami Vice this week. I was just about to make a post about season 1.

This has the be the swaggiest swag to ever have swagged. I'm hard pressed to think of another season of anything I've seen that's so unabashedly cool at nearly everything it does. The banter, the fashion, the camerawork, the vehicles, the original score and use of licensed music, the on-location shooting, the elaborate sets, etc. The pacing also frequently does whatever it wants to sometimes slowing down and drawing out moments for 5 minutes as the entire background song plays out to create another classic moment. A lot of memorable episodes, an obscene amount of notable guest stars, and a few ballsy endings make for a hell of a lot of fun. Also, the pilot is God-tier in terms of pilot rankings.

I'll be moving on to season 2, but I almost want to stop there just due to the mixed (and flat out bad) reactions I've read on seasons 3-5. I don't want to ruin this greatness.

AAequal

Banned
I'll be moving on to season 2, but I almost want to stop there just due to the mixed reactions I've read on seasons 3-5. I don't want to ruin this greatness.
Quality drop in season 3 was immense, haven't searched for the details what went on behind the scenes but there had to be some kind of drama since I haven't seen such a nose dive before in a tv show. Not to mention both Johnson and Philip aged magically five or so years during season two break. Season 3 does have it's moments but I was so disappointed in it after the first two awesome seasons.

Quality drop in season 3 was immense, haven't searched for the details what went on behind the scenes but there had to be some kind of drama since I haven't seen such a nose dive before in a tv show. Not to mention both Johnson and Philip aged magically five or so years during season two break. Season 3 does have it's moments but I was so disappointed in it after the first two awesome seasons.

From everything I've read, Michael Mann shifting his attention to do Manhunter and Crime Story, along with with Dick Wolf (of Law & Order fame) stepping in to fill his role, kind of started the downward spiral. You can really see Mann's fingerprints all over the show. That's another reason I'm hesitant to watch post-season 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I just finished watching the first season of the Netflix exclusive Lilyhammer. I really enjoyed it. It's got some great humor and I love the frigid Norwegian setting - it feels so novel. Steven Van Zandt's perpetual frowny face makes me laugh.

Hela

I just started watching the first season of Seinfeld for the first time ever and I must say that those three episodes I've seen weren't particularly brilliant or amazing, which is what I've been let to believe about the series. Does it find it's stride later, or does it stay mostly like this?

Bazza

Gotta decide whether i watch The Walking Dead, Person of Interest or Homeland next. I have watched the 1st episode of Homeland but i wasn't to keen but the praise it gets seems to indicate i should persevere.

Petrichor

Breaking Bad - season 1

Not seeing what all the fuss is about honestly - Walter White is a great character and fantastically acted, but everyone else is fucking awful (ESPECIALLY jesse)

Kryptonic

Sherlock - watched first season (only 3 episodes, movie length episodes) and the 1st episode of 2nd season, excellent show, very clever and funny.

House of Cards - The Netflix original tv show, watched 11 episodes so far. Very cool that they released all episodes of season 1 at once. Great show, Kevin Spacey is great.

Hatfields and McCoys - just 3 episodes, watched two of them, really liking it.

Walking Dead - yay for the show being back back!

Downton Abbey - Surprised I like this show so much

I just started watching the first season of Seinfeld for the first time ever and I must say that those three episodes I've seen weren't particularly brilliant or amazing, which is what I've been let to believe about the series. Does it find it's stride later, or does it stay mostly like this?

Yes for some reason the first few episodes are very bland. It definitely becomes god tier soon.

AAequal

Banned
Third season is where you start seeing the real Seinfeld but if you can't stomach it then just skip straight to season 4. I would advice to watch them all, there are some good episodes in the first two seasons and third season has some amazing episodes. From season four onwards it's gold, even the seasons without Larry David are good but the quality does drop a bit.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Six Feet Under Season 4

Didn't like Nate distancing himself from everyone, but I really liked the second half of his story. I like seeing Brenda happy much more than watching her suffer, so I'm really glad the two of them got together again in the second half.

Hated George, really annoying character, brought down Ruths entire story.

I liked Claire's story, a little cliche, but it's nice to see her with a purpose. Glad they didnt drag the pregnancy or abortion stories longer.

That's My Dog, damn I really thought David was going to die at the end of this episode, usually I assume the opposite with shows, but I was getting really worried when he poured gasoline on him. David probably had my favourite story, the ptsd was annoying when he wouldn't open up to anyone, but the scene with Claire was great, and the visit to the prison was a nice way to close it out.

Maya has to be the cutest kid ever on television.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Last night I finished watching FX's Lights Out. Some well choreographed boxing scenes coupled with a charismatic lead and good acting from the rest of the cast made for a pretty compelling series, I think. Watching the show marathon style via Netflix really did the narrative a favor. I'm not sure if I would have found it as interesting if I had watched it as it aired - one episode per week.

A pretty good show overall.

Gobias

Banned
I'm thinking about watching the Walking Dead, but I hear the first two seasons are kind of bad. When does it get good? Is it worth the watch?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm thinking about watching the Walking Dead, but I hear the first two seasons are kind of bad. When does it get good? Is it worth the watch?

The first season starts off great but the rest of the season is just okay. Not bad. The first 7/8 episodes of season 2 are meandering and boring, but things pick up nicely in the last half of the season. Season 3 has been a roller coaster so far - very fast paced and crazy. You should watch it. Zombies R fun.

Bazza

Started the Walking Dead at the weekend, half way through season 2, its not been to bad but i don't find it to be as good as people claim. Still half of season 2 to go and whats aired so far in S3, so my mind can be changed.

In preparation for new Arrested Development, I've made my way through all three existing series' on Netflix again. It's so good, I can't believe it ever got cancelled in the first place.

"There's a new daddy in town. A discipline daddy!"

GRW810

Four episodes into The Following. Wow, this show is good.

Onto S3 of original Twilight Zone, which is a ridiculously good show for something that is over half a century old.

Oh and Gravity Falls, because it's amazing.

GRW810

Because half a century ago they didn't have good TV?
I love it when people just attack a comment for no reason, especially when they get the wrong end of the stick.

I'm impressed the show has stood the test of time, that's all. Not many have. I've been on this Earth only half as long as the length of time since Twilight Zone was made. The episodes I'm watching aired when my mum was two years old.

For a show to still entertain new audiences half a century later, with fifty years of more and more TV shows to compete with for attention, is impressive. Surprisingly impressive.

It's not just good, it's very good. Nowhere did I say there wasn't good television in the 60s, and it was a bizarre and unnecessarily confrontational comment to make.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Chill bro, it was a light hearted comment - not an attack. Maybe I should have added a smiley face at the end or something. I just don't know why so many people are surprised to find an old TV show that's really good. Like, there are tons of movies, music, books, etc. from that era or earlier that "hold up", so why not TV?

GRW810

Chill bro, it was a light hearted comment - not an attack. Maybe I should have added a smiley face at the end or something. I just don't know why so many people are surprised to find an old TV show that's really good. Like, there are tons of movies, music, books, etc. from that era or earlier that "hold up", so why not TV?
Yeah I guess my "for a show that old" comment suggested that a series from that era had no right to be good. What I actually meant was how well the show has aged, and how impressed I am that I'm two generations removed from the one who watched when it was first broadcast and I'm a huge fan.

Shows from a completely different decade have many elements different to each other. Different acting styles, fashion, morals, ideals, culture, society, so on and so on. The episode I just watched, The Shelter, was obviously made in reaction to the Cold War fears. In 2013 I'm watching it on a laptop in a comfy bed with not a care in the world. I'm a different viewer than those who watched it 50 years ago and I was gripped from start to finish.

That was all I meant; if Twilight Zone wasn't SO good it would be long forgotten by now because so many of the stories focus on fears, worries and issues of a time long passed. It's the quality of the show that makes a Cold War theme still feel dramatic to a mid-20s Englishman in 2013.

What I've been watching so far...

Psych (finished)
I really liked this one, can't wait for more episodes to show up on Netflix.

Miami / NY Ink (Finished)
I started watching this show because I was thinking about getting a tattoo and was looking for inspiration (I also just like tattoos). But just like any reality TV show there is a lot of unnecessary drama but the beginning of Miami ink wasn't so bad.

Warehouse 13
It's a pretty good show with some good character. There are several times where I just sit there yelling at the TV because one of the main characters does something stupid.

Trailer Park Boys
Its a great show and I decided to watch the series again.

Reven

What I've been watching so far...

Psych (finished)
I really liked this one, can't wait for more episodes to show up on Netflix.

Miami / NY Ink (Finished)
I started watching this show because I was thinking about getting a tattoo and was looking for inspiration (I also just like tattoos). But just like any reality TV show there is a lot of unnecessary drama but the beginning of Miami ink wasn't so bad.

Warehouse 13
It's a pretty good show with some good character. There are several times where I just sit there yelling at the TV because one of the main characters does something stupid.

Trailer Park Boys
Its a great show and I decided to watch the series again.

Stick with Warehouse 13, it is a really great show, the interpersonal relationships between the characters evolves very well.

Last night I finished watching FX's Lights Out. Some well choreographed boxing scenes coupled with a charismatic lead and good acting from the rest of the cast made for a pretty compelling series, I think. Watching the show marathon style via Netflix really did the narrative a favor. I'm not sure if I would have found it as interesting if I had watched it as it aired - one episode per week.

A pretty good show overall.
That's about how I feel. It was a solid show that I'd watch more of, but I'm not completely heartbroken that it got canned.

davidnic

A friend got me on to the TV Show called "Coupling" it is a UK comedy. Started in 2000 ended in 2004. I will recommend it if you want a laugh.

I'm a little over halfway through season 3 of Justified.

Some moments are a little questionable, but overall pretty solid. I just kinda dislike how two big conflicts with Raylan got resolved in the episode they developed- Some things felt like they were coming to a head and "poof" gone.

Still good though, hopefully the rest of the season holds up.

Watched the entire first season of Comedy Bang Bang! with your host Hot Saucerman recently, loved it.

Currently making my way through Louie, on episode 12 I think? Really enjoying it.

Anival

Banned
Supernatural, its a pretty good show the characters have good chemistry. The best season was 5 but 6 and 7 sucked. The first half of 8 was boring but the new arc and episodes have been surprisingly good.

Necrovex

Four episodes into The Following. Wow, this show is good.

Onto S3 of original Twilight Zone, which is a ridiculously good show for something that is over half a century old.

Oh and Gravity Falls, because it's amazing.

I finally saw the Twilight Zone last summer when Syfy was doing its mini marathon. I fell in love with the show. I really need to sit down sometimes this summer and plow through the series.

And I plan to watch the Shield now since it is coming to Amazon Prime!

Supernatural, its a pretty good show the characters have good chemistry. The best season was 5 but 6 and 7 sucked. The first half of 8 was boring but the new arc and episodes have been surprisingly good.

I simply pretend the series ended on its fifth season.

Anival

Banned
I finally saw the Twilight Zone last summer when Syfy was doing its mini marathon. I fell in love with the show. I really need to sit down sometimes this summer and plow through the series.

And I plan to watch the Shield now since it is coming to Amazon Prime!

I simply pretend the series ended on its fifth season.
I tell people to just watch up to season 5 honestly lol. Season 8 is pretty good. I think there is a new writer or something.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just started watching Doctor Who the newer version on Netflix with my GF. We are currently on episode 4. So far so good!

big ander

A friend got me on to the TV Show called "Coupling" it is a UK comedy. Started in 2000 ended in 2004. I will recommend it if you want a laugh.
Coupling's excellent. Kinda anti-climactic in a way but the episodes are so so funny it's easy to forgive
Watched the entire first season of Comedy Bang Bang! with your host Hot Saucerman recently, loved it.

Currently making my way through Louie, on episode 12 I think? Really enjoying it.
Stop Tacoman's a genius. I can't wait for season 2, the BTS pictures he and Watts have been posting are insane.

Louie only gets better and better as it goes on.

An-Det

I finally finished The X-Files. I watched the first two seasons a few years back but finally returned recently to finish it. I watched the first movie on time after season 4/5 (can't remember now), and then the second movie to cap off the show. Overall it was well worth the watch. Duchuvny's Mulder was consistently great, and his interaction with Scully is by far the highlight of the series. Scully's slow transformation into less of a skeptic and being more open to strange things was great to watch as it paralleled her increasing romance with Mulder.

Later in the series, as Duchuvny left and Reyes and Doggett took over the x-files, it definitely felt different but not overly so. Those two had good chemistry, and I wouldn't have minded seeing more with them as the leads, but it was time to end the series. Speaking of which, the reactions I've read to the big "twist" at the end with the impending alien takeover in 2012 have been interesting. It was in the back of my head since the Syndicate was killed off ("hey guys, aliens are still taking over soon. Guys?"), and Scully knew their machinations were mostly just to delay the invasion as long as possible, so to see the characters and fans react poorly to that "twist" made no sense to me.
Shame we never got a true resolution to it, but oh well.

Well worth the watch, even if it did drag on a bit in the end since it was 9 seasons. Now I've started watching Buffy and ma loving it so far.

Hoplatee

Started watching Touch. I uh... Yeah, does this get interesting at some point or should I just stop?

The idea behind it seemed pretty okay but so far (4 eps in) I am finding it really boring.

e) And if not, is Walking Dead worth it even if you are not into Zombies all that much? Or Grimm? My last 2 attempts at starting a new show have been pretty terrible. Picked the wrong ones so I would like a solid one now so feel free to tell me what to watch. Maybe I should start Game of Thrones but I am trying to stay away from that for when it is completely done. Looks like the kind of show you just want to rush asap.

Which reminds me, I also still have the Rome DVD Box somewhere. Perhaps I should just watch that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Started watching Touch. I uh... Yeah, does this get interesting at some point or should I just stop?

The idea behind it seemed pretty okay but so far (4 eps in) I am finding it really boring.

e) And if not, is Walking Dead worth it even if you are not into Zombies all that much? Or Grimm? My last 2 attempts at starting a new show have been pretty terrible. Picked the wrong ones so I would like a solid one now so feel free to tell me what to watch. Maybe I should start Game of Thrones but I am trying to stay away from that for when it is completely done. Looks like the kind of show you just want to rush asap.

Which reminds me, I also still have the Rome DVD Box somewhere. Perhaps I should just watch that.

The last two episodes of Touch season 1 are decent, but the rest of the season is pretty bad. Season 2 has been a bit of an improvement, though it's still not really worth watching.

If you don't like zombies then I would suggest skipping The Walking Dead. I haven't seen Grimm before so I can't comment on that.

Game of Thrones probably won't be finished for another 6+ years, so your wait is going to be really long. I suggest reading the books first anyway. Get on that!

Rome is pretty darn good so you can't go wrong there.

What were the last two shows you started watching that were stinkers?

Stop Tacoman's a genius. I can't wait for season 2, the BTS pictures he and Watts have been posting are insane.

Louie only gets better and better as it goes on.

I just re-watched the first episode and had made a mental note of that name, fantastic. Any idea when season 2 is supposed to air?

And yeah, Louie is great. I was expecting it to be funny, which is can be, but moreso I've been surprised at how touching it can be(some of Louie's moments with his children for example), to hear it gets even better is awesome.

GMM

Banned
Chuck - All seasons
Show really caught me off guard and i really enjoyed it, but it never reaches "amazing" levels of quality. I enjoyed that the series wasn't too hesitant in changing up it's dynamics and often made established characters somewhat different.

I didn't like it's total nerd celebration tone at times, it felt a bit too forced and often made some of the Buymore sequences cringeworthy.

I really loved the writing and it's love for espionage overall, especially having an old bond actor play a major villain was an entertaining highlight.

Hoplatee

The last two episodes of Touch season 1 are decent, but the rest of the season is pretty bad. Season 2 has been a bit of an improvement, though it's still not really worth watching.

If you don't like zombies then I would suggest skipping The Walking Dead. I haven't seen Grimm before so I can't comment on that.

Game of Thrones probably won't be finished for another 6+ years, so your wait is going to be really long. I suggest reading the books first anyway. Get on that!

Rome is pretty darn good so you can't go wrong there.

What were the last two shows you started watching that were stinkers?

Thanks! Will stop with Touch and I'll go watch Rome then and start GoT when I am done with that. Some mad HBO love! I think my brother has one book so I will take your advice and read one first, if I like that I will just keep reading them first and pick Deadwood instead. ;)

The two shows I saw that I thought were garbage were Revenge (managed around 10 episodes) and Supernatural (2 seasons). I can see why people like them but in the case of SN it just was not for me and Revenge was just pretty terrible in general.

big ander

I just re-watched the first episode and had made a mental note of that name, fantastic. Any idea when season 2 is supposed to air?

Not for a while, they started filming them 2 weeks ago or so but they aren't supposed to start airing until somewhere around July or August. Luckily though it's 20 episodes instead of 10 this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom