• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Cornballer said:
Of course! I just find the official threads to be a bit daunting, so I don't post there much.

Oh, what'd you think? I generally agree with your views and your opinion would be welcome.

Whifflebat said:
Six Feet Under: Only 4 eps into season 1, but I really like what I've seen so far. I heard the quality gets a little inconsistant throughout the series. Any comment?

I didn't think it was inconsistent at all. One storyline bugs me, and it happens to my favorite character, David, but the rest is golden.

Blader

Cornballer said:
Finished up Mad Men S2 tonight. Great season overall - really top notch stuff, and I can't wait to see where they take it.

PS: Whoa, it's Captain Awesome!

So now that most shows are wrapping up, what are people going to watch over the next few months? I'll dig into FNL S3, True Blood, and Dexter S3 starting next week. Should be fun.

I've got all of The Wire, FNL, and Dexter to watch. First time I'm seeing any of these.

gdt

Blader5489 said:
I've got all of The Wire, FNL, and Dexter to watch. First time I'm seeing any of these.

I've got the Wire to see,

and I'll probably rewatch FNL S3 as soon as I pick it up on Tuesday.

You'll love FNL.

jax (old)

Banned
season finale grey's anatomy

the season closer was a ripper. quite moving with a really good closer - 2 of their main cast
george/issy dying
and you gotta wonder which one will die. I know the actress playing izzy wants out but the other one... I don't see how they're going to put him back together again.

Meliorism

gdt5016 said:
Oh, what'd you think? I generally agree with your views and your opinion would be welcome.

I didn't think it was inconsistent at all. One storyline bugs me, and it happens to my favorite character, David, but the rest is golden.

I'm gonna take a guess and say that you didn't like
the hitchhiker in season 4.

It made me uncomfortable, too.

Oh, also, I started FNL. Almost done with the first season. Thought the Abilene mention in one of the earlier episodes was pretty funny since that's my hometown. City of opportunity, though, it's not.

But I guess compared to Dillon, most places look like that.

gdt

Nihilism said:
I'm gonna take a guess and say that you didn't like
the hitchhiker in season 4.

It made me uncomfortable, too.

Oh, also, I started FNL. Almost done with the first season. Thought the Abilene mention in one of the earlier episodes was pretty funny since that's my hometown. City of opportunity, though, it's not.

But I guess compared to Dillon, most places look like that.

Bingo.

And great on FNL. My second favorite show. And S3 is my favorite season of TV ever.

gdt

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Would this make it your 4th rewatch? :-O

It would actually make it my third.

But,

I might want to rewatch S1 and 2 again. I would hate to be uneven.

I'm not complaining though.

gdt

Costanza said:
I might run through all 3 FNL seasons when i get my S3 set tuesday, too

we should start a GAF-Watch thread, gdt

You know, that not a bad idea.

Definitely.

Edit: We should work out some rules (spoiler/non spoiler, etc etc).

Costanza

Banned
gdt5016 said:
You know, that not a bad idea.

Definitely.
Should we do it on a schedule like BB's LOST thread or just post it up and let people go through at their own pace? Tbh I'd prefer to not drag out my viewing...

gdt

Costanza said:
Should we do it on a schedule like BB's LOST thread or just post it up and let people go through at their own pace? Tbh I'd prefer to not drag out my viewing...

I'd prefer for it to be at your own pace.

LOST is a bit different for the debates, clues, GIGANTIC 8 MONTH WAIT, etc etc.

Edit: Since it's a rewatch, I'm assuming spoilers right?

gdt

Costanza said:
We can say spoilers should be tagged I guess. That way maybe get some new people too...

I'll start working on the thread.

Yeah, that works. There nothing really GAMECHANGING that people need to avoid. Except for maybe the S3 finale.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
In the middle of the 2nd episode of Mad Men and I'm not all that engrossed. The men are assholes and the women are terribly weak. I suppose that's just the way things were, but it isn't quite grabbing onto me. Does it get more complex? I'm looking for a storyline that won't let me turn away from the screen.

I'm thinking of starting Deadwood after this.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SpeedingUptoStop said:
In the middle of the 2nd episode of Mad Men and I'm not all that engrossed. The men are assholes and the women are terribly weak. I suppose that's just the way things were, but it isn't quite grabbing onto me. Does it get more complex? I'm looking for a storyline that won't let me turn away from the screen.

it gets exponentially more complex. watch the entire first season. i think you will love it when all is said and done.

Does anyone know if FNL S3 is going to be on Instant View / XBL via Netflix? Just trying to figure out if I should get them to send me DVD's or stream it.
gdt5016 said:
A little late getting to respond to this because I was out of town... Regarding the Lost season finale:
I thought it was fantastic aside from them using Kate as a pivot that drives most of the action (Jack does things just for her, Sawyer gets mucked up on her account). Really liked the Jacob / Man #2 conversation at the beginning and where they're taking the show. Add a couple great action sequences, and I was happy with the whole thing.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
It takes a little while to pick up some momentum (like a lot of HBO/FX/AMC shows), and it's tough to watch at times. Nonetheless, I find it to be one of the more compelling things on these days.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Yeah, keep watching.

gdt

Cornballer said:
Does anyone know if FNL S3 is going to be on Instant View / XBL via Netflix? Just trying to figure out if I should get them to send me DVD's or stream it.A little late getting to respond to this because I was out of town... Regarding the Lost season finale:
I thought it was fantastic aside from them using Kate as a pivot that drives most of the action (Jack does things just for her, Sawyer gets mucked up on her account). Really liked the Jacob / Man #2 conversation at the beginning and where they're taking the show. Add a couple great action sequences, and I was happy with the whole thing.
It takes a little while to pick up some momentum (like a lot of HBO/FX/AMC shows), and it's tough to watch at times. Nonetheless, I find it to be one of the more compelling things on these days.

I know S1 and S2 are, don't know if 3 will be. Going to pick it up tomorrow :D .

gdt

Just picked up FNL S3 at Target, $19.99.

Also picked up,

LOST S3-$35
Angel S1 and S2 (double pack)- $26.99
Angel S3 and S4 (double pack)- $19.99

Holy shit at those deals.

I don't know if other Targets have those packs, the one near Allentown, PA does.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Not by much. Those are some of the reasons I dropped the show mid season 2.

gdt

Defcon said:
I just started watching Lost on DVD. Up to episode seven of the first season. I'm hooked.

Theres a very recent LLTP thread around here, that'd be a good place to post your impressions and etc.

pix

Defcon said:
I just started watching Lost on DVD. Up to episode seven of the first season. I'm hooked.

You're in for quite a treat sir. I wish I could rewatch it all without knowing anything.

gdt

So, since I just picked up Angel S1-4 (and already ordered 5 through Amazon), I'm gonna rewatch it.

Really, really excited. Angel definitely rank in my top 10, maybe top 5. And I haven't seen it in years.

Buttchin

I'm enjoying Eureka via hulu currently...

shows that don't take themselves to seriously are my current vices... (they tend to be made by USA networks and its sister channels)

examples
burn notice
monk,
Pysch
Invisible man (cancelled years ago caught it again on hulu)
Eureka

Any suggestions on stuff like similar to this? I know there are other more serious stuff out there that everyone tends to like (the wire, BSG, Sopranos, breaking bad etc) but im just currently not in the mood for that sort of stuff...

gdt

Buttchin said:
I'm enjoying Eureka via hulu currently...

shows that don't take themselves to seriously are my current vices... (they tend to be made by USA networks and its sister channels)

examples
burn notice
monk,
Pysch
Invisible man (cancelled years ago caught it again on hulu)
Eureka

Any suggestions on stuff like similar to this? I know there are other more serious stuff out there that everyone tends to like (the wire, BSG, Sopranos, breaking bad etc) but im just currently not in the mood for that sort of stuff...

Chuck, Bones, the big comedies.

Chuck should be at the top of your list.

gdt5016 said:
So, since I just picked up Angel S1-4 (and already ordered 5 through Amazon), I'm gonna rewatch it.
I need to rewatch some of Angel sooner or later. I saw S4-S5 straight through, but I missed a lot of episodes in the first three seasons.
Buttchin said:
I second the Chuck suggestion - sounds perfect for what you're looking for.

yacobod

Banned
watched dexter s1 and s2 in the span of like 3-4 days, was pretty awesome

s1 was definitely better than s2, i think s2 started out strong but got pretty stupid with the last 2-3 episodes, but solid overall

Buttchin

gdt5016 said:
Chuck, Bones, the big comedies.

Chuck should be at the top of your list.

I tried watching Bones it was alright... I'd put it in the law and order category of if its on i prolly wouldnt change the channel but i would never actively seek out the show.

i hear good things about chuck on gaf and because gaf was right about arrested development i think ill give that show a chance next but feel free to add more suggestions

gdt

Buttchin said:
I tried watching Bones it was alright... I'd put it in the law and order category of if its on i prolly wouldnt change the channel but i would never actively seek out the show.

i hear good things about chuck on gaf and because gaf was right about arrested development i think ill give that show a chance next but feel free to add more suggestions

I hate episodic procedural shows....but Bones slips past that. The two leads have incredible chemistry, and the show is pretty funny. I'd give it another shot.

And yes, Chuck is incredibly up your alley.

Lets see, Dexter isn't overly serious and dramatic like The Wire, Sopranos, LOST, BSG, etc. Dexter might make your cut. Maybe.

Californication is another suggestion.

Buttchin

gdt5016 said:
I hate episodic procedural shows....but Bones slips past that. The two leads have incredible chemistry, and the show is pretty funny. I'd give it another shot.

And yes, Chuck is incredibly up your alley.

Lets see, Dexter isn't overly serious and dramatic like The Wire, Sopranos, LOST, BSG, etc. Dexter might make your cut. Maybe.

Girlfriend wants to watch dexter so we plan on renting a season of it sometime and giving it a shot. I honestly don't know much about the show except for that the lead is a serial killer or something to that effect.

gdt

Buttchin said:
Girlfriend wants to watch dexter so we plan on renting a season of it sometime and giving it a shot. I honestly don't know much about the show except for that the lead is a serial killer or something to that effect.

Unless you're Netflixing, Amazon has S1 and S2 for $20 each IIRC. Definitely worth it.

gdt

So...watching the Angel Pilot right now. Brings back sooooooooooooo many memories. I'm 19! I watched Angel as it aired.

So, so good.

gdt

So, watching episode 5 of Angel, and it makes me so angry the show got cancelled!

It was like the highest rated show on the WB's roster!

If Angel was around longer, they might've not had to become the CW.

Edit: I've always wondered, why is there a bunch of paper flying around the apartment? :lol

Blader

Ford Prefect said:
"Night Man" is officially the funniest thing I've ever seen on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I was dying the whole 3+ minutes.

It's just two men sharing the night.
It might seem wrong, but it's just right.
It's just two men sharing each other.
It's just two men like lovin' brothers.
One on top, and one on bottom.
One inside, and one is out.
One is screaming he's so happy
the other's screaming a passionate shout.
It's the Night Man.
The feeling so wrong and right man
the feeling so wrong and right man.
I can't fight you man when you come inside me and pin me down with your strong hands and I become the Night... the passionate, passionate Night Man.

yep, greatest song ever

gdt

Lol, so much of early S1-era Angel screams "late 90's."

Oh, well, can't wait to get into the meat of the show.

adg1034

I have a confession to make.

For years, I assumed that all Nickelodeon put out (post-2000 or so) was cheap, poorly-produced drivel, the kind of schlock designed only for the purpose of bringing in the merchandising dollars of America's youth. One show in particular, I believed, was a cheap cash-in on that demographic's apparent fascination with anime-inspired art and flashy fight scenes. So with that, combined with my complete distaste for anything anime-related, the thought of ever watching Avatar: The Last Airbender never crossed my mind.

But around a year or so ago, I started hearing people, both here and elsewhere, naming it among their favorite television shows. Not just favorite cartoons, or favorite kids' shows, but overall, often placed among such small-screen masterpieces as Arrested Development, Veronica Mars, The Wire, The Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, and others. And almost none of these recommendations included any other cartoon, anime or otherwise (with the possible exception of some range of Simpsons seasons between 2 and 10). I was floored. I thought that these people must have been playing some kind of elaborate practical joke, or were criminally insane, or were viral marketeers. I struggled to come up with an explanation.

But I kept hearing about it, how it was, in just about every respect, a serial children's drama, how it didn't talk down to its audience, how it had complex characters that changed over time, how it could be surprisingly dark, how its story was relatively simple but incredibly well-presented, and how its art style might have been anime-inspired, but how it really didn't bring along any of the genre's baggage with it- the tropes of annoying voice actors, oversexualized underaged girls, oversexualized underaged robots, chibi elements, or the crutch of relying on crazy visual gags to convey emotion (hearts in eyes, beads of sweat on the head, etc). And so, finally, a couple weeks ago, I decided to give it a shot.

I finished Book 3 yesterday. While I wouldn't put it in my Amazing category, which I reserve for only a very few shows (Lost, Veronica Mars, Arrested Development, the good seasons of The West Wing, and a couple others), this show accomplished something I never would have thought it could- compare favorably to, and in many cases surpass, other, more "legitimate" shows aimed at a more mature audience. I'm still kind of in shock.

A couple things, though. One, the fandom can apparently get really scary and intense (from what I hear, the show fostered an incredibly rabid shipping community, complete with portmanteau couple names and everything), so do yourself a favor and avoid searching for the show on Youtube unless you're looking for a metric deluge of AMVs, fanart, and other things. And two, this is still a show aimed at kids, so you're not going to see very many deaths (a constraint which can neuter a couple of the main characters at times), though you do get a few darker episodes later on in the show's run, the kind that probably would have given me nightmares if I was 10.

I've written way more than I intended here, so I'll just end this with a plea to not write this off just because of what the show appears to be. I did for years, and I legitimately wish I'd started watching this sooner.

And I finished this without using any Gaang jokes! Oh. :(

adg1034

Blader5489 said:
So basically, it sucks.

CatFrown.jpg

dorkimoe

Costanza said:
Seen breaking bad? true blood? big love? mad men?

mad men didnt look my style

i think breaking bad will be next after my boys or studio 60.

maybe i should give big love another shot.. also have the wire , got so confused on the first 2 episodes so much going on.

bookmarked because true blood sounds good.

Also debating on dollhouse, i like to wait until the first season is done though, watching shit as it airs is terrible

Costanza

Banned
dorkimoe said:
maybe i should give big love another shot
How much of it have you seen? The first couple seasons aren't bad, but season three is just on an entirely different level. One of the best seasons of anything ever.

Ashhong

dorkimoe said:
mad men didnt look my style

i think breaking bad will be next after my boys or studio 60.

maybe i should give big love another shot.. also have the wire , got so confused on the first 2 episodes so much going on.

bookmarked because true blood sounds good.

Also debating on dollhouse, i like to wait until the first season is done though, watching shit as it airs is terrible

true blood should come before studio 60 and most likely my boys.

first season of Dollhouse is done.

entourage? californication? kings (*tear)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom