• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Cornballer said:
Fox Fall premiere dates have been announced if you're curious when House, Fringe, Dollhouse, etc... start up.

Finished up True Blood S1 this weekend and caught the S2 premiere last night. The show certainly has its flaws (mainly with the two leads and their relationship), but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Great supporting cast, too.

How could there be anything wrong with the leads?

One of them has tits! And she shows them!

I have no problem with that. :lol

I just think they both lack the charisma of the supporting cast and the soap-opera bits are cheeser.

Btw, can we get Alexander Skarsgård on every HBO show please? He's awesome. Between this and Generation Kill, he has solidified his badass status.

TV wise, dedicated to watching Scrubs, The Next Food Network Star(getting a kick out of that one right now) and alot of Netflix(horrors, comedies, and random stuff). Starting the 2nd season of Lost....

Reza_Neko

Because I live with my boyfriend and we don't have cable, the reception really sucks. So I borrowed some seasons from friends for various shows.

We borrowed:

seasons 1-5 of The Office (and laughed our asses off)
seasons 1-4 of House M.D. (again with the laughing, but also some sad parts. Loved the season 3 finale with Wilson's girlfriend)
seasons 1 and 2 of Heroes. (very suspenseful, can't wait to see more)

I recently finished the last season of Scrubs. The ending got me teary eyed as I probably won't watch it anymore without Zach Braff. I also am watching through the first season of True Blood right now, I'm currently on the eighth episode and thoroughly enjoying it. It's a different show than I typically watch, so it's a nice change of pace for me.

gdt

Cornballer said:
I have no problem with that. :lol

I just think they both lack the charisma of the supporting cast and the soap-opera bits are cheeser.

Btw, can we get Alexander Skarsgård on every HBO show please? He's awesome. Between this and Generation Kill, he has solidified his badass status.

I (mostly) agree on all points.

Finished Disc 4 of Angel S5. Incredible. This season's writing is stellar. It also contained one of the best episodes of anything ever, "A Hole In The World." The rest of the season should be wrapped up by the weekend, I think.

Cornballer said:
Yep. Their stuff is so goddamn boring. Thank god for Lafayette.

gdt5016 said:
Finished Disc 4 of Angel S5. Incredible. This season's writing is stellar. It also contained one of the best episodes of anything ever, "A Hole In The World." The rest of the season should be wrapped up by the weekend, I think.
Heh. I think that ep is HORRIBLE and one of the worst episodes of Angel. Fucking atrocious (and hilarious) dialogue and the sappiest, most melodramatic execution ever. I think the season is pretty mediocre as well, but there are definitely some amazing standout episodes.

Smile Time. FUCK YEAH!

Blader5489 said:
If you want a cop drama that goes out with a bang, watch The Shield.

Hell, just watch The Shield regardless of the reason. One of the best tv dramas of all time.

really? never thought any tv crime drama could touch the wire.

Ceres

Banned
Just finished watching The Wire s1. So far pretty good. Crime dramas just aren't my type of show. The character development is the main reason to watch it. We'll start s2 probably Wed or Thurs.

Also in the middle of Freaks and Geeks which is awesome. I'd actually seen at least 2 episodes when it originally aired. It's a shame this didn't get more than the one season. I'd love to see Apatow get the entire gang together for one movie. I can almost picture I Love You Man being a spiritual successor to the show at least for Jason Segel's character even though Apatow had nothing to do with that one.
Also watched the first season of Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Eh. It had it's moments but overall I'm not a fan. I've held off on the second season so I can finish Freaks and Geeks first.

Also in the queue:
Undeclared
Robin Hood
Day Break

BSG we're holding off until the blu-ray is out.

gdt

Polishing off the second to last disc of Angel.

This season really has the strongest writing of all the seasons, even if it's dissapointing that it's not super serialized like before.

Piano

Banned
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second season of Six Feet Under. While I'm still really enjoying the show, the second season is definitely way weaker than the first - does it pick back up?

Blader

Yesterday, I finished the first seasons of Dexter and Friday Night Lights. Dexter was good, but I liked FNL a lot more just because of how much I can identify with it. Coach Taylor reminds me of my high school coach, Street's arc reminds me of things I've done/want to do with my life (sans the paralysis and love triangles), Julie is almost eerily similar to my high school girlfriend (although Julie puts out more :lol ), the Panthers' team dynamic reminds me of my old team, and etc. The show just evokes a lot of (good) memories I have of high school, which I think is why I like FNL so much.

Think I'll start season 2 this weekend. Hopefully it's not as bad as I've heard.

gdt

Blader5489 said:
Yesterday, I finished the first seasons of Dexter and Friday Night Lights. Dexter was good, but I liked FNL a lot more just because of how much I can identify with it. Coach Taylor reminds me of my high school coach, Street's arc reminds me of things I've done/want to do with my life (sans the paralysis and love triangles), Julie is almost eerily similar to my high school girlfriend (although Julie puts out more :lol ), the Panthers' team dynamic reminds me of my old team, and etc. The show just evokes a lot of (good) memories I have of high school, which I think is why I like FNL so much.

Think I'll start season 2 this weekend. Hopefully it's not as bad as I've heard.

Hmm, so you were on a high school team? Your comments in the FNL thread make more sense (to me) now.

And to the bolded, just skim over the FNL thread for various comments on S2.

yacobod

Banned
i've actually went back and decided to do a rewatch of the sopranos

i've already finished s1-3, im almost done with s4, probably the best tv show ever imo, the rewatch just helps reaffirm that

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I've been blowing through Season 2 of Dexter and loving it. Just as good as the first season for entirely different reasons. 2 more eps to go.

I ripped through Season 1 of Veronica Mars in about a week. Pretty great. It definitely got better as it went along, even if I still think a few of the characters/actors are terrible. The only HSer other than Veronica that stood out was Logan. But overall, it was nice to watch something different. Many of the 1-episode mysteries were cool enough, and the overarching mystery wrapped up really damn well and plausibly. I have to say I want to keep going, even if I've heard the other two seasons aren't quite as good. But I'll probably finally watch Freaks and Geeks next.

I'm currently starting season 1 of Breaking Bad (the first episode was fantastic -- I can't wait to see what happens throughout the rest of the season) and I'm rewatching Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I've also been checking out the most recent season of Weeds (which I'll admit hasn't been as good so far in the first two episodes of this season as it was in the past) and I'm going to move onto S3 of Dexter pretty soon.

backflip10019 said:
I'm currently starting season 1 of Breaking Bad (the first episode was fantastic -- I can't wait to see what happens throughout the rest of the season)
The first season pales in comparison to the second -- which is amazing, considering the first season is pretty damn great.

Finished "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood" from Doctor Who Season Three. Seriously, Paul Cornell needs to fucking write more episodes. >:| I finished the whole seasons as well. I think Russel T Davis needs to get someone else to write his endings. He comes up with wonderful concepts with fitting buildup, but then he somewhat drops the ball. I'm talking about the finale.

Oh yes, S2 of Breaking Bad is quite fantastic.

I haven't been watching much TV recently other than True Blood. The Summer is strange with all of this free time, and I don't have much in my backlog at the moment. Need to polish off Dexter S3 at some point, but beyond that there isn't anything I'm motivated to watch. Oh, might try to finish the UK version of Life on Mars. Got started with that a while back and never got around to completing it.

In other news.... HBO put up a trailer for "Bored to Death".
HBO's new comedy "Bored to Death" featuring Jason Schwartzman as a Brooklyn writer who moonlights as a private detective.
I'll watch pretty much anything HBO puts out these days, at least for a few episodes. I think this is supposed to be out sometime in the Fall.

I just finished going through the 5th Season of Buffy, which was pretty mediocre, at least compared to the previous four seasons of the show. I'm not sure if it is worth continuing on with the series or if I should just ditch it, keep the happy memories of the previous seasons and move on to Angel.

I'm about to dig into the first season of True Blood, I've got the DVDs all queued up and ready to go. I've heard a lot of great things about the show.

ErinIsADrunk said:
I just finished going through the 5th Season of Buffy, which was pretty mediocre, at least compared to the previous four seasons of the show. I'm not sure if it is worth continuing on with the series or if I should just ditch it, keep the happy memories of the previous seasons and move on to Angel.

I'm about to dig into the first season of True Blood, I've got the DVDs all queued up and ready to go. I've heard a lot of great things about the show.

Season 6 gets even weaker in my opinion but the show seems to have picked up again in season 7 (not done watching it yet). If nothing else at least watch the musical episode. Also have fun with True Blood.

Blader

ninj4junpei said:
Finished "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood" from Doctor Who Season Three. Seriously, Paul Cornell needs to fucking write more episodes. >:| I finished the whole seasons as well. I think Russel T Davis needs to get someone else to write his endings. He comes up with wonderful concepts with fitting buildup, but then he somewhat drops the ball. I'm talking about the finale.

Cornell also wrote "Father's Day" from series 1, which I thought was really good and (imo) one of the only good episodes of s1.

anaron

Spotless Mind said:
Yep. Their stuff is so goddamn boring. Thank god for Lafayette.

Heh. I think that ep is HORRIBLE and one of the worst episodes of Angel. Fucking atrocious (and hilarious) dialogue and the sappiest, most melodramatic execution ever. I think the season is pretty mediocre as well, but there are definitely some amazing standout episodes.

Smile Time. FUCK YEAH!
"My little prince!" :lol

"Hole in the World" is also an episode I don't quite care for. However, I love what it brought to the show. (Illyria)

Blader5489 said:
Cornell also wrote "Father's Day" from series 1, which I thought was really good and (imo) one of the only good episodes of s1.
Yeah, that was another really great episode. Actually, I though season one was pretty good, though the subsequent seasons have certainly passed it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Breaking Bad and Mad Men finished recently, off to The Shield next. Maybe AD before that real quick.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Finished season 2 of Dexter, jsut an excellent season all around. Improved upon S1 in all of it's flawed areas (pacing, rounding out the annoying characters, giving everyone else more to do). Some people feel the final 2 eps switched things up a bit too much, but I always saw the circumstances as a ticking time bomb that had to go off sooner or later. As a whole, I'd hav to say, it was just a bit better than Season 1. Loved how it dealt with the aftermath of the events in S1 and how it affected everyone. The show could sort of end right here, although I know it didn't. These two seasons felt very complete and mesh together as a whole than most shows I watch. Very excited to start S3!

Blader

Just a heads up: History Channel is doing a marathon of Band of Brothers this weekend, which will also repeat on June 29-30. So if you're like me and if you haven't seen BoB yet, now's a good opportunity.

eznark

Banned
I just started watching Stargate SG-1. I'm on the 16th episode. Show is pretty damn good, despite the relative cheese. The production values and effects remind me of Smallville.

Good acting though, and I'm definitely going to watch the rest of the series. Good enough acting, mostly decent stories and MacGyver adds an great sense of humor. Hopefully it doesn't start taking itself too seriously (damn you Smallville).

I also watched the Stargate: Atlantis pilot...man the acting is terrible.

eznark said:
I just started watching Stargate SG-1. I'm on the 16th episode. Show is pretty damn good, despite the relative cheese. The production values and effects remind me of Smallville.

Good acting though, and I'm definitely going to watch the rest of the series. Good enough acting, mostly decent stories and MacGyver adds an great sense of humor. Hopefully it doesn't start taking itself too seriously (damn you Smallville).

I also watched the Stargate: Atlantis pilot...man the acting is terrible.
Why would you watch Atlantis when you haven't even seen SG-1? And SG-1 gets good, stick with it.

Blader5489 said:
Just a heads up: History Channel is doing a marathon of Band of Brothers this weekend, which will also repeat on June 29-30. So if you're like me and if you haven't seen BoB yet, now's a good opportunity.

Get your wallet ready, you'll buy it straight after.

eznark

Banned
Dax01 said:
Why would you watch Atlantis when you haven't even seen SG-1? And SG-1 gets good, stick with it.

Why not? I watched the pilot, I wasn't lost. Gates connect worlds, not the most complicated premise in the world. I also watched Police Academy 3 first. Somehow, I was able to pick it up.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I watched Breaking Bad season 2 last week. Wow.

Great acting?

*ding*

Great writing?

*ding*

Best show still running?

*ding* *ding*

Best fake jewish lawyer ever?

*ding*

Saw the first episode of season 2 of The Wire today... It was boring, to say the least. It only got interesting until the end. I don't like the theme song for the show.

I still have Band of Brothers (Blu-Ray) sitting on the shelf waiting to be finished. I think I got six episodes in before I started on The West Wing... now I'm on The Wire.

Finished the second episode. Definitely better than the season opener. I find myself fast-forwarding through any part that concerns or is about
Ziggy
. Should I be doing that? It's just that he's, well, annoying...

The case concerning the
14 dead Jane Does
looks like it'll shape up to be awesome.

Costanza

Banned
Dax01 said:
I find myself fast-forwarding through any part that concerns or is about
Ziggy
. Should I be doing that?\
what the fuck, you shouldn't do that with ANY show, and especially not this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom