• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Dax01 said:
But what do they have to make him so damn annoying? :( Fine. No more FF.

That's the point of his character. :) There will be characters in the show that you cannot stand. He is one of them.

eznark said:
Why not? I watched the pilot, I wasn't lost. Gates connect worlds, not the most complicated premise in the world. I also watched Police Academy 3 first. Somehow, I was able to pick it up.

Because Timeline wise Atlantis starts around season 8 if I recall of SG-1 and while there is not too much crossover action there is some.

BorkBork said:
That's the point of his character. :) There will be characters in the show that you cannot stand. He is one of them.
The point of his character is to be annoying as hell? Why? Please don't reply with "you'll find out..." Please? :(

How many more characters will I see that are like him?

Alucard

Banned
Still watching The Big Bang Theory on DVD. So great.

logo-the-big-bang-theory.jpg

BorkBork

Dax01 said:
The point of his character is to be annoying as hell?
Yes. Well mostly.
Dax01 said:

Because some people in general are douchebags and fuckups.

Dax01 said:
How many more characters will I see that are like him?
There are two more people in the series I hate more than Ziggy, but they're not really annoying.

Done with the fifth episode. This season is starting to get good with
Bunk, Russell, and the rest of the gang (aside from McNulty :[) working out of the same office. I'm a huge fan of this. It's what I liked about season one: all of them working out of some remote area trying to solve a case.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got the Blu-Rays for Lost and finished Season 1 and barely started Season 2. Really late I know, but it's pretty solid.

Also am up to Battlestar Galactica Season 4 and fell absolutely head over heels in love with that show. Waiting for the Blu-Ray boxset to see the final season though.

Gonna give True Blood a look soon too.

eznark

Banned
evilpigking said:
Because Timeline wise Atlantis starts around season 8 if I recall of SG-1 and while there is not too much crossover action there is some.

I know I'd miss some but damn, I doubt I'll watch 15 seasons or whatever it is of Stargate. maybeI will but holy shit was the acting in the Atlantis pilot atrocious.

SG-1 on the other hand, is pretty good. I'm 18 episodes in I think. I like where it is going.

Alphahawk

So I just watched Melrose Place after remembering how much I loved teen dramas back in the day (early 200s) and wow this show is so 90s it's sickening. Dawson's Creek this definatly isn't. Might try to get into Beverly Hills 90210 though, although I fear it's basically the same thing.

Finally got around to watching Freaks and Geeks. Only 6 episodes in (which is unfortunately 1/3 of the series), but it's awesome. It'll end up being one of my favorite shows.

gdt

I picked up entire collection of the Chappelle Show (for $8 BTW), and going through S1 right now. I forgot how funny this show is. I do remember that the show really hit it's groove in S2.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
gdt5016 said:
I picked up entire collection of the Chappelle Show (for $8 BTW), and going through S1 right now. I forgot how funny this show is. I do remember that the show really hit it's groove in S2.
This show is so legendary. Going to high school the day after an episode aired was nuts, everyone was quoting it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
four episodes deep in CALIFORNICATION, and i can't believe how much i like it.

so many odds were against it, so far as my personal situation going in:

[1] i'm an X-FILES fanatic and didn't think i could accept duchovny as a scumbag writer.
[2] i generally don't like unlikeable protagonists (huh?)

but not only is he completely great and real as hank, he's also not quite the unlikeable sleazeball that i perceived him to be before watching the show or even after the first episode. he's textured and complex, in one instant vomiting on a painting after doing a girl doggy style, in the next making cute jokes about counting mermaids to fall asleep to his daughter over the phone and being totally charming.

maybe that's what really makes the show good: as completely worthless and dirty he can be at times, you also believe and see how he can win over the special people who remain close to him, as he wins you over again and again.

it's the first time duchovny has been really brilliant in a role since fox mulder. thank christ CALIFORNICATION proves that wasn't a fluke,man.

intentional

Hey, beelze's back. Yeah, Californication is a lot of fun. I had number of similar concerns before it started, but Duchovny gracefully straddles the line in between loveable scamp and narcissistic asshole. S1 was great.
Ashhong said:
i just bought the complete Wire and Sopranos set. good choices? mmmhmmm starting the wire now.
Nice work. I still need to catch up on all of the Sopranos some day. Only watched S1.

kbear

I'm trying to get into a new show but don't know which.

Shows I've watched:
The Wire, Rome, Dexter, LOST, 24, Chuck, Family Guy, Amer. Dad, Battlestar, True Blood

Anything left? I'm into more serious, scripted dramas with long, epic story arcs (save for Chuck, Fox cartoons).

Here's some shows I haven't seen yet along with a reason why:

Avatar The Last Air Bender -- it's a cartoon, but I hear it's mature

The Shield -- it's got a lot of seasons, Idk if I can make that commitment. I feel like I missed the boat and would have to swim thousands of miles to reach it

gdt

kbear said:

Shows I've watched:
The Wire, Rome, Dexter, LOST, 24, Chuck, Family Guy, Amer. Dad, Battlestar, True Blood

Anything left? I'm into more serious, scripted dramas with long, epic story arcs (save for Chuck, Fox cartoons).

The Shield -- it's got a lot of seasons, Idk if I can make that commitment. I feel like I missed the boat and would have to swim thousands of miles to reach it

Friday Night Lights
The Sopranos
The Shield (make the commitment)
Babylon 5
Arrested Development
Californication

I could go over tons more.

Edit: Thats a starter pack, in recommended order. Dramas and Comedies.

Coop

kbear said:

Shows I've watched:

The Shield or Supernatural. Supernatural has a similar vibe to Chuck, mixture of comedy and drama. It starts of kind of slow but it picks up fast. First season for the most part is stand alone but by season three it's mostly serialized besides the occasional stand alone episode (which are awesome on the show).

kbear

Is Friday Night Lights really that good? From the commercials, it just seemed like a corny high school football drama...but it's really good, though? Tbh, I thought it would be canceled by now

Memles

kbear said:
Is Friday Night Lights really that good? From the commercials, it just seemed like a corny high school football drama...but it's really good, though? Tbh, I thought it would be canceled by now

It is not a corny high school drama, it is an awesome human drama about community, marriage, parenthood, and life itself. And it's completely awesome. And just got an order for two more 13-episode seasons.

Watch it.

Blader

kbear said:

There is a lot of annoying high school drama, but some of the characters are just totally endearing. Also--and I think I'm in the minority on this--I think the football parts of the show are just so fucking fun and compelling, I rarely get psyched up by a TV show the way I do during one of FNL's games. :lol

And of course you should watch The Shield! A lot of the other shows you say you've seen have had several seasons, I don't see how The Shield is any different in terms of a time committment (and each season is about 12-13 episodes long, so it's shorter than something like Lost or 24).

Kastro

Banned
I rarely if ever found the drama in FNL "annoying". It's done far better than other series based on similar age groups (gossip girl, etc.)

kbear said:
Alright, good lookin out. I'll give both FNL and The Shield a shot this week. Thanks
Good stuff. FNL will surprise you. I thought the same thing (cheesy high school drama) before I saw it, but it lives up to its billing as one of the best shows on television.

Been watching Friday Night Lights for the last week or so, and just got up to the first episode of Season 3. I truly loved the first season, thought the second season was okay besides for anything with Landry and Tyra.

From the first episode of the third season, I didn't really like how they quickly skimmed on how the other season ended, and I don't really like where any of the characters are right now. I hope it gets better as you all say, because I had high hopes going into this season. I just want to get to see more of my boy Saracen... and less Wriggins, that would be great.

gdt

Stopsign said:
Been watching Friday Night Lights for the last week or so, and just got up to the first episode of Season 3. I truly loved the first season, thought the second season was okay besides for anything with Landry and Tyra.

From the first episode of the third season, I didn't really like how they quickly skimmed on how the other season ended, and I don't really like where any of the characters are right now. I hope it gets better as you all say, because I had high hopes going into this season. I just want to get to see more of my boy Saracen... and less Wriggins, that would be great.

Wow. S3 is the best season (IMO, of course). I really dug the opening. They were forced to jump drastically into the future (because of the writer's strike, and the 1 season=1 year rule), and I really dug where everyone was at. And S3 is the season where Riggins finally becomes a (much more) likable and adult character.

Saracen is my favorite character BTW, and he has (pretty much) more storylines and issues in S3 than anyone, bar maybe the Coach.

Edit: Forgot to mention that FNL S3 is my favorite season of TV, so yeah, I really dig it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
kbear said:

Shows I've watched:

The Shield for sure. It's cable, so 13 episode seasons, it's not that much of a commitment and it's fucking great.

gdt5016 said:
Wow. S3 is the best season (IMO, of course). I really dug the opening. They were forced to jump drastically into the future (because of the writer's strike, and the 1 season=1 year rule), and I really dug where everyone was at. And S3 is the season where Riggins finally becomes a (much more) likable and adult character.

Saracen is my favorite character BTW, and he has (pretty much) more storylines and issues in S3 than anyone, bar maybe the Coach.

Edit: Forgot to mention that FNL S3 is my favorite season of TV, so yeah, I really dig it.

Just watched the second episode, and that was a big improvement over the first one. A lot of good things happened, the destined couple in Saracen and Julie are finally getting along again, and I don't think anyone can resist smiling when Smash is happy. Plus Wriggins did funny and stupid shit like always, but this time I liked it for some reason.

Saracen is just so easy to like, I think he represents the perfect underdog kind of story. He fights a lot of adversity and most of the time he wins. We all face some kind of adversity to differing degrees, but he's there just to remind you that some people have it worse than you and still win out. So I see him as both an inspiring character and a character that is easy to love. Good to hear that he has a lot of the spotlight, because I think he is definitely the best part of the show.

Stopsign said:
Just watched the second episode, and that was a big improvement over the first one. A lot of good things happened, the destined couple in Saracen and Julie are finally getting along again, and I don't think anyone can resist smiling when Smash is happy. Plus Wriggins did funny and stupid shit like always, but this time I liked it for some reason.
I was about to post that episode 2 gets the season into gear with fantastic character interactions but i see you discovered that already. :) The premiere was very good, but i had the similar issues as you, mostly with the abrupt time jump and some egregious age retcons that i have to look past. >_>

gdt

Finished Chappell Show S1 last night. Also went through the (godawful) deleted scenes.

Still have Angel S5 to finish. I dont want to see it go :(.

Just finished Season 3. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the season as a whole. I'm going to need to let it sink in for a while before I come to any conclusions. The ending left me both satisfied and frustrated, not sure how that's quite possible, but it happened.

Some Saracen spoilers here
I wasn't quite clear on whether he is going to college or not, it made it seem like he was staying in Dillon to take care of his grandma. If this is true, I would see it hard to write him off the show like the rumors are saying. I can see the rumors being true if he is going to college
. The show took a definite hit when Smash left, he had one of the more interesting story lines, and a personality that never failed to put a smile on my face. If Saracen leaves as well, I'm not completely sure if I could still watch the show without it becoming a disappointment. As it is, I find myself fast-forwarding through a lot of scenes with Landry and Trya simply because I know exactly how they are going to play out. So that really just leaves a few remaining characters that I even remotely care about. I seriously hope that Ausiello is wrong, I really really do.

I'm pretty sure as of now that I would put Season 3 in between the first and the second one as of now. The first season was pretty impeccable though, so I doubt that is going to change for me.

Done with season two of The Wire.

From what I can tell, this season gets a lot of negativity from the majority of GAF, or, at least, not as much love as compared to the other seasons.

It's definitely not better than season one, but I'm a fan of it. It really started to get good when
everyone from season one got back together on the same detail and the FBI joined them

From the season finale, it seems that season three will shift focus back to
Stringer and Barksdale, and the deal they have going with Proposition Joe (is that his name?)

My favorite part of the season would have to have been when
Omar testified in court! The tie he was wearing!
:lol :lol

I'll probably begin season three sometime this weekend.

BorkBork

Dax01 said:
Done with season two of The Wire.

From what I can tell, this season gets a lot of negativity from the majority of GAF, or, at least, not as much love as compared to the other seasons.

It's definitely not better than season one, but I'm a fan of it. It really started to get good when
everyone from season one got back together on the same detail and the FBI joined them

From the season finale, it seems that season three will shift focus back to
Stringer and Barksdale, and the deal they have going with Proposition Joe (is that his name?)

My favorite part of the season would have to have been when
Omar testified in court! The tie he was wearing!
:lol :lol

I'll probably begin season three sometime this weekend.

My personal ranking: 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 5. I do like Season Two for bringing something completely different to the table. Season three definitely has its high moments.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Aus TV is fucked n shit. Have acquired some shows, lately just watched

True Blood season 1 pretty good, watched season 2's 2 eps as well, interesting.
Deadwood season 1, up to ep 10, hrmmm good but will have to see how i go season 2 and 3 are "on order".
Kings, awesome as always.
The Goode Family, yeahrrrrmmmmrm its alright.

Bout it for now.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Recently I've finished:

Season 4 of Weeds, which was fuck awesome. I've heard various people say the quality of the show keeps dropping, but I just don't see it. Esteban is just another of several brilliant new characters the show just keeps chugging out, and the last few frames of this season are just amazing. Can't wait to start Season 5 and get caught up with my friends.

All of Six Feet Under, and though the much-hurrahed final moments of the show were typical Six Feet maudlin bullshit (I went through most of the series with a kind of barely-like/hate thing... I must admit, though, I was attached to the characters, no matter how fucking stupid and whiney they were most of the time), they were still satisfying in a way. More important than the actual finale were the couple of episodes leading up to it, which FINALLY said some interesting things about mourning and death with
Nate's story arc
, whereas most of the series was just incredibly banal and mawkish when it came to the subject.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ford Prefect said:
All of Six Feet Under, and though the much-hurrahed final moments of the show were typical Six Feet maudlin bullshit (I went through most of the series with a kind of barely-like/hate thing... I must admit, though, I was attached to the characters, no matter how fucking stupid and whiney they were most of the time), they were still satisfying in a way. More important than the actual finale were the couple of episodes leading up to it, which FINALLY said some interesting things about mourning and death with
Nate's story arc
, whereas most of the series was just incredibly banal and mawkish when it came to the subject.

i'm so glad you feel the same way about this. this show, in my few episodes spent with it, was so melodramatic, dwelling on this theme of "people who seem normal are actually quite dark" bullshit that always rang so false. maybe i'm just anti-alan ball or something. but i love AMERICAN BEAUTY, so i'm not sure what to make of it.

finished the first season of CALIFORNICATION, and i have to ask: did anyone else who is/was a big fan of it think the last twenty seconds were a huge cop-out?

gdt

beelzebozo said:
i'm so glad you feel the same way about this. this show, in my few episodes spent with it, was so melodramatic, dwelling on this theme of "people who seem normal are actually quite dark" bullshit that always rang so false. maybe i'm just anti-alan ball or something. but i love AMERICAN BEAUTY, so i'm not sure what to make of it.

finished the first season of CALIFORNICATION, and i have to ask: did anyone else who is/was a big fan of it think the last twenty seconds were a huge cop-out?

Um, kinda.

S2 comes in as "what happens after the perfect ending." It makes it work too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, as long as they address the ramifications of it in season 2, i'll be fine with it. i was just sort of impressed the whole episode that they weren't going to take it down that obvious route, and when they did, though some part of me was pleased with the emotional payoff, another part was sort of disappointed they weren't quite so bold as i imagined.

still, what a wonderful show.

gdt

Just finished the final disc of Angel.

T_T

What an incredibly perfect ending for the series.

"Keep Fighting The Good Fight"

What an awesome series. Definitely in my top five. So glad I picked it up and re-watched it. Also the greatest final line ever.

Lets get to work.

gdt

Also,

On one hand, "Not Fade Away" is a perfect ending for the series.

On the other, the After The Fall comic is pretty good. I wish it could've been televised though :(. That would've certainly been another amazing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom