• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

evilpigking said:
Farscape is probably a better show than I remember but I started it right after finishing Babylon 5 and the very different attitudes of the shows threw me off for Farscape.

I tried to watch Farscape recently and gave up somewhere in season 3. It was alternately brilliant for a few eps and then total crap for a few eps. It was just too inconsistent for me. I may go back someday, because I liked the concept and the universe, and when it was good, it was REALLY good.

Overall I definitely also prefer Babylon 5 in comparison.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
4 episodes into season 3 of the 'wire', it's standard wire quality so far. (which means it's awesome).
All the new characters, and the new political side they have added to the storyline are all interesting, and i cant wait to see how they develop over the course of the season.

Costanza

Banned
Finished season 2 of Deadwood. goddamn, this show is good.

garret dillahunt played 2 different roles on the show.. that was kinda weird.

Season 5 of The Wire arrived in the mail today and i just watched the first 2...

Hating McNulty's character regression so far. I was really hoping season 4's reformed McNulty would stick around... at least a bit longer. He is just despicable at the moment. I really have to WTF over his faking the serial killing, but i'm interested to see where it goes. Bunk's reaction was hilarious. <3 Bunk.

Other than those complaints it is all top quality. The city's budget situation fallout and cutbacks are brilliant.

The cold open in the premiere with the phony lie detector had me laughing so hard.

@ spotless mind. ill be interested in what you think of season 5 when you are done. i didnt like it i felt it was the worse season of the show. like the omar avatar btw

goldenticket said:
@ spotless mind. ill be interested in what you think of season 5 when you are done. i didnt like it i felt it was the worse season of the show. like the omar avatar btw
I've watched 7 episodes now. I can definitely see how this season can be polarising. Some of the developments are pushing the ludicrous scale, well, in comparison to the past 4 seasons at least. I still don't know how i feel about a lot of it, but i'm saving judgement until the whole season plays out. I'm mainly talking about
the McNulty plotline and the somewhat contrived and heavy handed subplot involving the reporter fabricating stories.

McNulty is simply despicable and i was simultaneously laughing, facepalming and cringing through the whole kidnapping of the homeless guy ordeal... and not really in a good way. Bunk basically echoing how i feel at every action McNulty makes, kinda makes this plotline worthwhile to some degree. He provides so much hilarity with his dialogue and facial expressions.

The whole plan has gone way too far though. It almost doesn't feel like The Wire. It's like a black comedy version of it. It will be so satisfying and hilarious if Bunk beats Freamon and McNulty to the punch and brings Marlo down through his old fashioned police work. Oh god please let that happen!

Omar's plan... so dumb. :/ I didn't really like the execution of the shootout. How many clips of ammo did they freaking offload into that couch? :lol His injury and hitting back at Marlo's lieutenants in the next episode was fantastic. I can just tell his number is up soon... :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been watching the first season of Dexter. Absolutely loved the pilot, but the following episodes were noticably weaker. After ep4 things really started to pick though, with
Dexter's unplanned kill and the witness situation
. Good stuff.
But that was nothing compared to the episode I've just seen.
The shrink plot and the breakthrough with Rita was amazing enough (easily Dexter's best murder scenario so far), but they also give us the killer reveal to top it all off. I could smack myself on the head for not figuring out he was the one from his first episode. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in stories that I don't see or notice the obvious.
Can't wait to see what happens next.

Kastro

Banned
Costanza said:
Finished season 2 of Deadwood. goddamn, this show is good.

garret dillahunt played 2 different roles on the show.. that was kinda weird.
:lol i was tripping balls over that.

I thought he was the same guy.. I was like WTF WHY DOESNT ANYONE RECOGNIZE HIM???

I just recently discovered the Teletoon Retro channel and have been basking in it's glory all week. 24/7 of flinstones, jetsons, smurfs, reboot, spiderman, fraggle rock (WTF), road runner, fat albert, batman, chipmunks, scooby doo, tom n jerry, woody woodpecker... Ok I'll stop, you guys get the idea.

I usually turn it on late night as I'm trying to fall asleep.

Mii

Banned
Currently watching Battlestar Galactica.

I recently finished 'S3E5 - Collaborators'

This series knows how to make me feel like shit. It can be pretty painful seeing mankind just lose over and over and over again. Every now and then, though, they know to throw in a feel good episode or moment. Most recently was
Galactica dropping into the atmosphere of New Caprica, deploying Vipers, and then jumping back up to space. Afterward, the Cylons run and mankind escapes from the shitty rock Baltar wanted to inhabit.
What a kickass moment.

I was definitely turned off by how righteous they were making the Cylons around the beginning of Season 2, but they've fixed that now by questioning the religious faiths of both the humans and cylons. The doubt was far too one-sided for the longest time, making me think the show was trying to make some sort of religious point.

The show definitely does seem to like leaving loose ends as it goes and smudging previous occurrences to allow for new story elements, but I'm willing to forgive as long as the characters stay interesting and the battle stay epic.

Going back through seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter before I go to snag season 3. I went through them pretty quickly the first time through and I want to refresh myself before getting into new stuff.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll be done with Battlestar Galactica come Wednesday evening. Since that one specific episode I noted at the end of 2.0 it's been pretty damned good. A couple clunkers have appeared here and there, like the dreadful Kat episode and I thought Razor was pretty weak, but most episodes have had at least enough to keep me interested in seeing where things go. Baltar's
cult stuff
was terrible though and I was kinda annoyed that it took so damned long for
his trial
to get resolved. The characters who were typically smart and pragmatic all went dumb as bricks for half a season in order to force this plotline out only for it to end with what any half intelligent person should have been thinking from the very beginning.

Brian Fellows said:
I really like your blog.
Thanks man.

Cornballer said:
Television Without Pity's Fall Preview: Watch, DVR, or Skip. Actually not that much that I anticipate watching this Fall, but it always adds up in the end.
I'm sticking with Dexter, Californication, Dollhouse, Fringe, 30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Recreation, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'll give V and Community a try, but that's probably it in terms of new shows.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Watched the whole of Season 4 of The Sopranos on Saturday, was awesome. Over halfway through Season 5 at the moment.

True Blood, Hung and Psych on the regular at the moment as well. Next month is going to be so amazing....... thank gawd for American TV.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
True Blood, Hung and Psych on the regular at the moment as well. Next month is going to be so amazing....... thank gawd for American TV.

Throw in Entourage and Royal Pains and thats what I'm watching right now too.

my fall season will start out looking like this....

How I Met Your Mother
Castle
Glee
Survivor
Parks & Recreation
30 Rock
The Office
CSI
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Bored to Death

BIVIANO!

Watched the 4 seasons of It's Always Sunny. After the watching the 6 episodes in the first episode, I was really impressed. The way they approached sensitive social topics with such crass was fucking hilarious. Putting in the first disc of season 2, everything went downhill, a big part of it having to do with Devito (I've hated nearly every arc he is involved in). Yeah, there have been some great episodes and moments interspersed throughout the seasons, although I can't help but wonder how great the show could be if Devito wasn't in it and if they worked a little harder on consistency.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BIVIANO! said:
Watched the 4 seasons of It's Always Sunny. After the watching the 6 episodes in the first episode, I was really impressed. The way they approached sensitive social topics with such crass was fucking hilarious. Putting in the first disc of season 2, everything went downhill, a big part of it having to do with Devito (I've hated nearly every arc he is involved in). Yeah, there have been some great episodes and moments interspersed throughout the seasons, although I can't help but wonder how great the show could be if Devito wasn't in it and if they worked a little harder on consistency.

Yeah it would be better without Devito but I got used to him. I try not to think about it any more.

For me this Fall (unless I'm forgetting something)
Will watch: Sons of Anarchy, Fringe, Californication, 30 Rock, Office, Dollhouse
Will try out: V, FlashForward, Community

Ceres

Banned
This fall the definite are:

How I Met Your Mother
Glee
Top Chef (already going - I usually catch up eventually during their constant marathons)
Flash Forward
Parks & Recreation
The Office
Fringe
Dollhouse
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Bored To Death

Edit: Forgot It's Always Sunny now that we finally have FX HD. Thursdays are the big day this fall.

2DMention said:
Ice Road Truckers

We watched this for a bit. After awhile it just gets so boring. I couldn't stand the annoying use of post production effects in an attempt to keep constant tension going whenever they drive a freaking route.

How I Met Your Mother is fucking amazing and totally blows every other multi-camera sitcom out of the water in terms of quality. It is like the Arrested Development of multi-camera sitcoms with all the flashbacks and callbacks (sometimes from a season ago) and foreshadowing going on.

And of course Neil Patrick Harris is legendary.

A few weeks ago, I finished up Deadwood.
Well acted show, (but Timmy Olyphant is kind of a wooden actor when he isnt in "RAGE" mode") Ian McShane's Al Swearengen is a LEGEND, and Garret Dillahunt's Francis Wolcot is one of the creepiest fucking psychopath I've ever seen. So good. George Hearst is bad ass. And of course Calamity Jane is amazing.
I place Deadwood on the same level as The Wire, Six Feet Under, and Sopranos, but I like it the least of those three shows. The acting and dialogue is amazing, but the underlying story just doesnt grab me the way it does with the Wire or Six Feet Under or even Sopranos. I also think that all of those shows have a better supporting cast.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
WyndhamPrice said:
How I Met Your Mother is fucking amazing and totally blows every other multi-camera sitcom out of the water in terms of quality. It is like the Arrested Development of multi-camera sitcoms with all the flashbacks and callbacks (sometimes from a season ago) and foreshadowing going on.

I can agree with all this.

I'm also getting ready to start Sons of Anarchy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dexter season 1 finale. Phenomenal. That surreal final scene was the perfect ending. What a show, need to start season 2 asap

WyndhamPrice said:

Very much agree. Halfway through season 3 as we speak.

I'm looking forward to:
Rest of Psych, rest of Eureka, How I Met Your Mother, Dollhouse, Castle, Glee, SYTYCD s6, and Supernatural.

Shows I want to look forward to but have been rapidly dropping in quality for me so get a tenative want:
Bones and 30 Rock.

As well as any new show that might be starting up and looks interesting I'll give a few eps (Flash Forward, Happy Town, etc)

Blader

I think V, Flashforward, and Community are the only new shows I have an interest. I might try out Bored to Death too.

But there are plenty of returning shows I'm anticipating: House, 30 Rock, Curb, Dexter, It's Always Sunny, and more South Park. I'll still watch The Office, but the show has been really going downhill the last two years and I don't want to see it sink any further. Hopefully there will be more Holly this season.

Oh, and I'm looking forward (in a bittersweet way) to Tennant's last three Doctor Who specials.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
V, Flash Forward, and Day One all look like they could be pretty cool but I'll wait to see which ones are going to survive before I start watching any of them.

I'm trying to catch up on Legend of The Seeker.

I saw the first couple of episodes last Fall and only bits and pieces of a few others. They've been chilling on my DVR, but now that my cable box has become a soccer / Gordon Ramsay / Big Brother box, I figure it's time to dive in.

It's not bad at all. Totally cheesy and over the top, but that's the name of the game in a good fantasy action series. So far it's definitely not on par with, say, Robin Hood...but it's the best syndicated series I've seen in years.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished the first season of 'dollhouse' as a joss whedon fan i was pretty disappointed, the premise is good, but the cast is pretty weak and unlikeable for a JW show, writing is hit and miss, and the acting of the lead lacks range for the premise. that said the quality of the season overall was on-par with the first season of angel and buffy. So hopefully it improves in quality similar to season 2 of buffy. However if that un-aired episode is anything to go by, it most likely will.:D

Ashour

-I’m re-watching Sopranos, I’m in season 4 right now I really love it.

-I’m also watching Foster Home for Imaginary Friends. One of the funniest shows ever, every day I can’t wait to get home from work to start watching. I’m at the end of season 1.

Salazar

Toy Soldier said:
I'm trying to catch up on Legend of The Seeker.

I saw the first couple of episodes last Fall and only bits and pieces of a few others. They've been chilling on my DVR, but now that my cable box has become a soccer / Gordon Ramsay / Big Brother box, I figure it's time to dive in.

It's not bad at all. Totally cheesy and over the top, but that's the name of the game in a good fantasy action series. So far it's definitely not on par with, say, Robin Hood...but it's the best syndicated series I've seen in years.

Yikes at both the praise for Goodkind tripe and the suggestion that Robin Hood sets any kind of high standard.

JaCy

Just finished watching Kings and wow what an ending. The guy who played Silas should win some award for his performance. I honestly went back and forth on liking him then hating him. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD for the cut scenes from the last episode.

I also started watching Doctor Who, just started the second season with David Tennant as the Doctor. So far so good. :D

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
JaCy said:
Just finished watching Kings and wow what an ending. The guy who played Silas should win some award for his performance. I honestly went back and forth on liking him then hating him. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD for the cut scenes from the last episode.

Watch Deadwood. Seriously!

funk0ar

So I've watched the first two episodes of the wire. When does it get good? Seems pretty stock standard so far yet I've heard so much praise from gaf I think I was expecting more.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
funk0ar said:
So I've watched the first two episodes of the wire. When does it get good? Seems pretty stock standard so far yet I've heard so much praise from gaf I think I was expecting more.
Finish a season, judging the show based on the first few episodes is like judging a book, when you have only read the first 50 pages.
Episode 4 is where i really started to get into it btw.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well I finished Battlestar Galactica and... eh.
First, not a single character in the show ever explained why Hera was so damned important. Some people had dreams about her and various characters repeatedly declared their civilization's salvation, but it was all empty talk with nothing to back any of it up, so the finale kinda fails when most of the drama is placed on saving her at the potential expense of every character we care about. What did saving Hera actually accomplish? Or is this one of those quirks of a series that consciously calls God into play and declares that Hera was a tool to bring Galactica and Cavil together to end the war? Blech.

It's also awkward the way the show tries to speak broadly about humans finding a way to stop the cycle of violence, something we can obviously relate with, but then pairs it with such a specific narrative of wars between humans and their robotic creations. There's a leap in there that's hard to follow.

The show was at its best when it was most divorced from the faith/religious nonsense. It's pretty damned difficult to put epic civilization-scale drama, questions of free will, intervening angels, faith, destiny, etc. all into one pot and get anything cohesive. It doesn't work in the real world and it certainly doesn't work here. Individual episodes were often pretty good because this stuff would only occupy a few minutes of time and be overshadowed by by the rest, but when the whole series ends up placing its own importance in its worst elements, that's a downer.

The series was worth watching, no doubt, but it's ultimately disappointing.

I sure hope Lost can wrap itself up without resorting to any cosmic jokes.

Watching Lost right now. So far it's pretty good, only at episode 2. Ilove how they kinda setup Vincent the dog as being evil in the first episode. They just need a close up on his eyes being shifty and it'll be complete. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom