• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
tabsina said:
i've been watching the cheers series as of late (up to season 2), apparently big bang theory is a good one to check out - any opinions about that show here?

Its basically Two and a Half Men with that caters to geeks. So it sucks pretty hard.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
If anyone Netflixes all their TV shows like me, Amazon updated the release for Mad Men S3 to March 23rd. I assume Netflix is the same since it says March 2010.

I start S2 tonight, loved the first one as well.

sullytao

Newest ones are Glee and V. Loved glee for its awesome songs and some decent characters. As for V it has failed to impress me. The story is pretty dumb. Aliens plotting to take over the world while offering humans a tour of there space ships :lol .Dont know if I will bother with it when it starts up in march again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I checked out Party Down on Netflix, thanks to some GAF recommendation. I ended up watching through the entire series in a couple days. I wasn't expecting much considering it's on Starz and I hadn't heard of it, but it was surprisingly entertaining and funny. It sucks that Jane Lynch left the show, she was funny but her replacement was terrible in the 2 episodes she appeared in.
Snuggler recommends.

Cday

Banned
Invader Zim

Beats the hell out of the cartoons they make these days. However scarce they are. I really like the art style too.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Don't want to make another thread for this, but 'Ugly Betty' axed after four seasons" :( :( :(

It's ugly news for all the fans of "Ugly Betty." U.S. television broadcaster ABC says the series will be cancelled after this season.

A critical and popular success with its premiere in fall 2006, "Ugly Betty" has struggled in recent years with audience erosion.

Based on a Colombian telenovela, the warmhearted dramedy stars America Ferrera as an ambitious but style-challenged young woman out to build a future at a New York fashion magazine.

ABC is promising that the series will conclude its run in a fashion that will satisfy its fans. ABC says eight episodes are left.

The series has been saluted with Emmy, Golden Globe and Peabody awards, among others.

N2_

I just finished the first 2 seasons of Chuck. Dont know why it hadn't caught my attention before. IT'S AWESOME

threenote

Banned
beelzebozo said:
personally, i watched the first two seasons at their release, got tired of it, and never looked back.

as far as what i've heard, coupled with my experience with the first two seasons, to your question i would say no. it does not get better. it just is what it is, and you either like it or don't.

Lafiel said:
Well it does get better from the first episode, it gets really intense in certain episodes.
The show is worth watching for the first three seasons, and if you are like me, and can't get enough of the crazy formula you will love seasons 4 5 & 7.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it another shot. It's not always good to judge a show by the Pilot.

Going to start on Burn Notice this week, as well.

G-Fex

threenote said:
Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it another shot. It's not always good to judge a show by the Pilot.

Going to start on Burn Notice this week, as well.

I don't know anything about 24 (It never caught my interest at all). But Burn Notice is fucking awesome!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Snuggler said:
I checked out Party Down on Netflix, thanks to some GAF recommendation. I ended up watching through the entire series in a couple days. I wasn't expecting much considering it's on Starz and I hadn't heard of it, but it was surprisingly entertaining and funny. It sucks that Jane Lynch left the show, she was funny but her replacement was terrible in the 2 episodes she appeared in.
Snuggler recommends.

Glad you liked it.

You'll be happy to know Jennifer Coolidge won't be coming back. Megan Mullally will be taking her place.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Axion22 said:
You're all ordered to watch this:

Archer-S1-900x350.jpg

I followed your orders and by god this was awesome show (well the 4 episodes at least were awesome). I really hope it does well and maybe some day there will be s2 of it.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
threenote said:
Tried watching 24 today (starting with the Pilot). I found it terribly boring. I'm guessing it gets alot better? I remember watching an episode from season 2 a few years back and it was pretty good.

24 is pretty shitty, and only gets worse as it goes along. It's the television equivalent of a Steven Seagal movie.

Re posted from Chuck thread.

I saw the Kings thread get bummed and there were a lot of pissed off people so I figured this would be a safer thread to ask in. Is Journeyman worth watching the first season, or is there to much hurt to go down that road knowing there won't be resolution?

Touchdown

Banned
My brother bought me the first season of the west wing for christmas since I was so into politics this year. :lol I love it!! Just watched the first disc of season 1, excellent. I should have been watching this when it was on. I can't believe the issues they are dealing with are exactly the same as today.

tirminyl

Finished Season 2 and 3 of Torchwood. Children of Earth was awesome. I also finished up Sanctuary and will be starting in on 30 Rock. I know, I've seen some episodes but I will be starting fresh from Season 1.

Blader

Captain Blood said:

I saw the Kings thread get bummed and there were a lot of pissed off people so I figured this would be a safer thread to ask in. Is Journeyman worth watching the first season, or is there to much hurt to go down that road knowing there won't be resolution?

I watched the first few episodes of Journeyman and didn't think it was good at all. Interesting premise and Kevin McKidd is awesome (maybe I was just coming off from my Rome high :lol) but I thought it was pretty formulaic and way too focused on a shitty love rectangle.

Music choice was pretty bad too. Reminded me of a CW show.

Costanza

Banned
Blader5489 said:
I watched the first few episodes of Journeyman and didn't think it was good at all. Interesting premise and Kevin McKidd is awesome (maybe I was just coming off from my Rome high :lol) but I thought it was pretty formulaic and way too focused on a shitty love rectangle.

After the first few episodes is when it gets amazing. Watch it, Captain Blood.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Blader5489 said:
I watched the first few episodes of Journeyman and didn't it was good at all. Interesting premise and Kevin McKidd is awesome (maybe I was just coming off from my Rome high :lol) but I thought it was pretty formulaic and way too focused on a shitty love rectangle.

i agree! it was a great idea for a show, but it didn't pay off. i know QUANTUM LEAP can be a little cheesy, but that bit of cheese, humor, and the camaraderie between sam and al make even the weak first season of QL better than JOURNEYMAN's run.

Costanza

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i agree! it was a great idea for a show, but it didn't pay off. i know QUANTUM LEAP can be a little cheesy, but that bit of cheese, humor, and the camaraderie between sam and al make even the weak first season of QL better than JOURNEYMAN's run.
:mad:

adg1034

Captain Blood said:

It hurts, but man up and watch it. It's good enough that it's worth the inevitable pain once you reach the end.

Actually, that gives me an idea- we need a GAF canceled TV shows appreciation thread: everything from Journeyman to Day Break to Kitchen Confidential to Firefly (as if there's someone who hasn't seen that yet) to Keen Eddie to Greg the Bunny to Wonderfalls... the list goes on and on and on. All of these are fantastic television, and I wouldn't be doing my job as a viewer if I didn't try and evangelize about them to, well, all of you.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
adg1034 said:
It hurts, but man up and watch it. It's good enough that it's worth the inevitable pain once you reach the end.

Actually, that gives me an idea- we need a GAF canceled TV shows appreciation thread: everything from Journeyman to Day Break to Kitchen Confidential to Firefly (as if there's someone who hasn't seen that yet) to Keen Eddie to Greg the Bunny to Wonderfalls... the list goes on and on and on. All of these are fantastic television, and I wouldn't be doing my job as a viewer if I didn't try and evangelize about them to, well, all of you.

these two still sting. fucking comedy central and their lack of vision.

uprightcitizensbrigade01.jpg

stella.jpg

Journeyman was awesome and personally I think it got just enough resolution to make the end a bit less painful. Definitely give it a few episodes, it's a grower. Plus Moon Bloodgood <3

I always found it odd that she did Day Break and Journeyman so close together, with their time travel themes. Totally jinxed them too :lol

adg1034

randomlyrossy said:
Journeyman was awesome and personally I think it got just enough resolution to make the end a bit less painful. Definitely give it a few episodes, it's a grower. Plus Moon Bloodgood <3

I always found it odd that she did Day Break and Journeyman so close together, with their time travel themes. Totally jinxed them too :lol

But they both handle the topic so differently. It's fantastic. Personally, I think Day Break got to go a lot deeper into the subject, and (Warning! Heresy ahead) even felt like the more meaningful show, since the repetition allowed us to go more in-depth with its characters.

Messi

I watched the first season of friday night lights recently and I really really loved it, I then went and bought the second season. But I have just watched the first 4-5 episodes and I think something is off. It does not feel like it is as good as the first season.

:( please tell me it reaches the awesomeness of season 1 again.

Riggins > everyone

adg1034 said:
But they both handle the topic so differently. It's fantastic. Personally, I think Day Break got to go a lot deeper into the subject, and (Warning! Heresy ahead) even felt like the more meaningful show, since the repetition allowed us to go more in-depth with its characters.

I would agree with that. I think because Day Break was always planned as just those 13 episodes it was allowed to tell a much more detailed and interesting story. Journeyman was setting up a much longer show and it did a great job of trying to wrap things up but there wasn't enough time to get it all down.

Coop

Messi said:
I watched the first season of friday night lights recently and I really really loved it, I then went and bought the second season. But I have just watched the first 4-5 episodes and I think something is off. It does not feel like it is as good as the first season.

Riggins > everyone
I didn't like the second season, but the third season was really good

threenote

Banned
God I love Day Break and Journeyman. Both are such awesome shows. I am happy that the creator of Day Break is a writer on Lost though (Paul Zbyszewski).

Costanza

Banned
Messi said:

Riggins > everyone
Second season was a huge misstep, but season three is even better than the first one. Keep watching.

I've been watching The Loop slowly as thewb cycles through and I find myself laughing pretty well. Only downside is it keeps reminding me that Reaper never got a real ending.

Also been watching Dead Like Me on Hulu which I was a bit skeptical of at first because I didn't really care for Pushing Daises too much but I like it a lot. Perhaps because it has less of an over the top fantastical feel to it.

Drewsky

Messi said:

Riggins > everyone

Keep watching. I didn't think Season 2 was quite as strong either but it definitely gets back its footing. The season airing now is pretty great too if you ask me, so stay strong.

gdt

Holy shit I'm watching/rewatching a lot of stuff right now.

Battlestar Galactica S1
Dollhouse S1
Big Love S3
Mad Men S1
Babylon 5 S5
Flight Of The Concords S2
Curb Your Enthusiasm S6

I also have Sopranos S2 coming in the mail :lol . Thats alot of switching discs.

All that, plus the currently airing stuff:

Chuck
House
Lost
Modern Family
Cougar Town
Friday Night Lights
Community
Parks And Recreaction
The Office
30 Rock
Bones
Fringe
Supernatural
Caprica
Smallville (sometimes, and even then I'm still on my laptop).

Fucking Christ.

RevoDS

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for something new to watch and I'd like suggestions as I'm clueless about where to go next...I generally dislike police and medical shows, but like most comedies and anything with a hint of sci-fi.

A few shows I like/love to give you an idea:
Chuck
Lost
Community
FlashForward
Alias
Caprica
Better Off Ted
V
Futurama
Dollhouse
The Simpsons
The Big Bang Theory

Costanza

Banned
RevoDS said:
Not sure this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for something new to watch and I'd like suggestions as I'm clueless about where to go next...I generally dislike police and medical shows, but like most comedies and anything with a hint of sci-fi.

A few shows I like/love to give you an idea:
Chuck
Lost
Community
FlashForward
Alias
Caprica
Better Off Ted
V
Futurama
Dollhouse
The Simpsons
The Big Bang Theory
Have you watched Fringe? Or Supernatural? Or Friday Night Lights?

I have finally started to watch Supernatural Season 3 after buying season 3&4 off of Amazon for a nice $18 each a few weeks ago. And I must say I am pretty damn impressed after 7 or so episodes. I am really enjoying it, and its really cool how the main plot is woven into even the most episodic stories. I am having a hard time not rushing through watching it, but I guess thats what happens when you get hooked. This show is the shit and just gets better and better! :D

Blader

Watching the first seasons of Mad Men and Flight of the Conchords.

I've also decided to start watching the original 1960s The Prisoner. I thought the AMC miniseries from a couple months ago was interesting, if not ridiculously confusing, so I'm interested in seeing the original now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished my re-watch of arrested development, i never realized how self-aware the jokes became near the end of the last season. All the references to the shows cancellation were.:lol

Going watch season 1 of "Supernatural" next methinks. (just rented it). And i still need to watch the first three episodes of Caprica

Jay Sosa

Watching Father Ted right now and my god it's hilarious, any more UK shows that are as funny? (Besides IT Crowd, Office and Peep Show)

And thanks again to all the people who recommended me all this good stuff.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jay Sosa said:
Watching Father Ted right now and my god it's hilarious, any more UK shows that are as funny? (Besides IT Crowd, Office and Peep Show)

And thanks again to all the people who recommended me all this good stuff.

Spaced

Made by the same people who made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Blader5489 said:
I've also decided to start watching the original 1960s The Prisoner. I thought the AMC miniseries from a couple months ago was interesting, if not ridiculously confusing, so I'm interested in seeing the original now.

Dude it's by far one of the best shows of all time. And I'm sure Lost fans will love it (assuming you are one). I thought the AMC remake was kinda shit though.

Enosh

watched "Yes, minister" a british comedy show

simply awesome, the character of Sir Humphrey Appleby is one of the best I have ever seen, briliant acting from Nigel Hawthorne

just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhN1IDLQjo

funny that the minister stands out as the weakest character of the 3, not saying he is bad, just compared to Humphrey or Bernand he falls kinda short

Drewsky

Finished up Season 6 of Buffy. God, that was terrible. Total waste of time, does Season 7 get any better? Or should I have just stopped after Season 5?

Also finished up Season 1 of The Wire. It's awesome. The second to last episode, think it was called "Cleaning Up," was one of my favorite episodes of any TV show ever. Can't wait to start the next season.
And Omar coming back at the end, "I'll take 3 or 4 hundred," then pulls his gun out. :D

I caught up on Damages a few days ago. Season 1 was quite engaging had some truly knockout performances. Season 2, on the other hand, was a complete misfire and soured me on the show, despite the continued efforts of Glenn Close to rise above the material. Season 3 has potential so far, but i'm weary of the writers ability to wrap up the mysteries they've setup after the embarrassingly contrived resolution to season 2.

Drewsky said:
Finished up Season 6 of Buffy. God, that was terrible. Total waste of time, does Season 7 get any better? Or should I have just stopped after Season 5?
Season 7 is even worse. You can tell the actors don't give a shit anymore. The good supporting characters get shoved to the side to introduce a bunch of annoying characters and the whole story becomes completely consumed by the Spuffy romance to the point where i found it unwatchable.

Also watched Lost's premiere and it was as awful as ever. I'm still reeling over what they did to Juliets character (one of the only ones i *could* stand) in the season 5 finale.

Krowley

Drewsky said:

I'm a huge fan of the show, and I'm one of the fans that actually liked season 6 a lot. I enjoyed the gloom and angst of that season, although I thought the final conclusion (how things were resolved) was a bit weak. Even though I enjoyed season 6, I definitely understand where you're coming from, and it certainly has some problems.

Season 7 is easily one of the weakest seasons, but the very end of the show is fucking awesome. The last few episodes kick a lot of ass, and with repeated viewings, I've been able to appreciate it more. After about 3 viewings, I find season 7 quite tolerable now, and I actually admire a few elements. It's absolutely better than season 4, which is the show's low point, and if you can soldier through that, you should be able to tolerate 7.

The post above me was correct about them introducing a bunch of annoying characters in season 7. It's a huge problem with the season, and that aspect hasn't gotten any better with repeated viewings.

I would say that if you've made it this far, you should finish the show, but be aware that season 7 has a very bad run from about episode 5 to about episode 12 (Somewhere in that range). After that, it gets a bit better, and it finishes very strong. The final 3 or 4 episodes of season 7 are among Buffy's best climaxes, but you have to wade through a very weak middle. The season has some really dark elements and a fairly strong villain, but the weaker parts are a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom