• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
FilthyLies said:
Season one of Breaking Bad was quite enjoyable, though pulpier than I expected. I'll get around to season 2 when I can, not really a priority at the moment though.

It really should be a priority though. Like stop working to watch it priority.

big ander

roosters93 said:
Yeah Firefly was great although I thought the finale was a little underwhelming. Was this because it got cancelled? I know with Rome they knew in advance it was finishing so had to condense a lot of plot into a few episodes. Did S1 of Firefly finish and it just wasn't renewed?
Yeah, I believe that's what happened, which is why the movie Serenity exists. It answers a lot of questions about River and Reavers.
Finished Twin Peaks. An excellent series that really gets off track when its creators walk away and when the network is too controlling. Season 2 was largely a badly-planned missed opportunity.
Imagine if Lynch and Frost had been on the whole time and hadn't succumbed to the network. We could have found out who Laura's killer was near the end of season 2 and had the Earle plot and the Palmer plot and Miss Twin Peaks sync up somehow, and have the end be similar, where Coop goes into the Black Lodge to find Annie and defeat both Leland and Earle. Then season 3 could have been finding the key pages in Lauras diary about Cooper in the lodge, and it could begin a war between white and black lodge.
And I'm watching The Office UK. I don't like it the same way that I do the US version, but it's completely different. I'm about halfway through Series 2 now, so I'll finish this week.

AnkitT

Been watching a lot lately:

-The Inbetweeners
Loved it, the humour is right up my alley. Laughed uncontrollably on many instances! :D

-Dead Set(Thanks to gaf for the recommendation)
This was amazing! Married my hate for big brother with zombies.

-Khichdi(Indian sitcom, rewatching)
Missed a lot of episodes during the broadcast, and I still love the show. One of the funniest Indian sitcoms!

Alongwith a lot of currently running shows such as Mad Men, The IT crowd, True Blood, Futurama, Entourage, etc.

Raggy

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
halfway through season 2 of Fringe... does it get more interesting? My interest peeked towards the end of season 1. Now its been in decline, and I dont know whats going on. A certain characters just reappeared without any explanation, and the show acts like it's normal.. I must have missed something. I dont know if I can make myself go on.

indeed, infact second part of season 2 is among the best I've seen on TV.

What characters you talking about?

Archer. Because it's some of the best twenty-two minutes spent, quality wise. Best animated comedy being sort-of-made right now.

"Yeah, she was like, the Pele of anal." :lol :lol :lol

1267135200-732309-Archer-12664934710.jpg

Ceres

Banned
Raggy said:

Probably talking about Charlie and the "lost" episode from s1 that aired in the middle of s2 for some reason.

big ander

Raggy said:

Charlie. They chose to air an unaired and awful season 1 episode right in the middle of season 2 without any warning about what it was. People thought it was a time travel episode.

Raggy

Banned
Ceres said:
Probably talking about Charlie and the "lost" episode from s1 that aired in the middle of s2 for some reason.

Yeah that through me off as well, bad move, they should have saved it to the DVD.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm really hooked on Mad Men now. I have the 3rd and last disc left of the 2nd season. Like the first season, it's really starting to amp up as it goes on.
It's definitely the best thing on TV right now, it's just superb in every way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im re-watching Battlestar Gallactica. Forgot how brilliant this show was. How it didn't win emmys in its 2nd and 3rd seasons i have no idea. I just finished the New Caprica storyline at the start of season 3. Im pretty sure that was the series peak right there if I remember it right. The way they ended that story arc was so emotional and ambitious it might as well been a movie. I just hope the experience of watching season 4 is better then when i was watching it on the air.

BeeDog

I've blown through the first season of Spartacus: Blood & Sand for the last week or so after several recommendations and promises of blood, guts and tits. God knows I needed this after chewing through slow shows for a while. :p

The first two-three episodes were mediocre 300-ripoffs with subpar visuals and plentiful of cheesiness. But after that, the show kicked in in a big way and was extremely entertaining up until and including the fucking insane finale. You love to hate certain characters (especially John Hanna/Batiatus), and most of the cast give solid, albeit somewhat cheesy performances.

Freaking great show that reaaaaaaally hits the homerun as it goes on. Supremely fun.

Mifune

Mehmber
Finally finished up Season One of Battlestar Galactica.

Incredibly uneven, veering from the sheer awfulness of that military tribunal episode to the intensity of Cylon Daniel Craig being interrogated in "Flesh and Bone." The finale was good but overall I'm not in any great hurry to watch Season Two, especially when I have two seasons of Mad Men to catch up on.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Mifune said:
Finally finished up Season One of Battlestar Galactica.

Incredibly uneven, veering from the sheer awfulness of that military tribunal episode to the intensity of Cylon Daniel Craig being interrogated in "Flesh and Bone." The finale was good but overall I'm not in any great hurry to watch Season Two, especially when I have two seasons of Mad Men to catch up on.
Show gets better up until maybe 4th episode of season 3, where it peaks and then slowly crawls back down. I thought season one was somewhat uneven as well. Keep watching.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watched all of Breaking Bad Season One yesterday. Very addictive little show, I ended up watching 2 episodes of Season Two today. I like the mixture of humor, extreme tension, and serial storytelling.

Mifune

Mehmber
~Kinggi~ said:
Show gets better up until maybe 4th episode of season 3, where it peaks and then slowly crawls back down. I thought season one was somewhat uneven as well. Keep watching.

Cool. Will do so, but with my poor man's one-at-a-time Netflix dealie, not sure when that will be. Thanks for the tip.

stonedwal

Started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation at the beginning of the year. I'd never really watched any Star Trek before this, apart from seeing Star Trek Generations with my Dad when it first came out. My fiancee adores Next Generation, so we started getting the box sets and I've really started to enjoy it. We're just at the end of Season 4 now.

Also watched True Blood seasons 1 and 2 recently. Again, my fiancee was the enabler, she's been reading the novels and wanted to get into the series. I didn't think much of the concept first, having endured Twilight and its sequels recently, but I started to get hooked pretty quickly.

The Big Bang Theory is the other show we've been watching. I didn't really like the first episode I saw, but watching it in sequence was a lot more enjoyable.

I need to catch up on Entourage and How I Met Your Mother.

stonedwal said:
Started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation at the beginning of the year. I'd never really watched any Star Trek before this, apart from seeing Star Trek Generations with my Dad when it first came out. My fiancee adores Next Generation, so we started getting the box sets and I've really started to enjoy it. We're just at the end of Season 4 now.

Also watched True Blood seasons 1 and 2 recently. Again, my fiancee was the enabler, she's been reading the novels and wanted to get into the series. I didn't think much of the concept first, having endured Twilight and its sequels recently, but I started to get hooked pretty quickly.

The Big Bang Theory is the other show we've been watching. I didn't really like the first episode I saw, but watching it in sequence was a lot more enjoyable.

Seasons 4-7 are much better than seasons 1-3. You should check out DS9 when you're done with TNG.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
stonedwal said:

:lol

I really disliked Big Bang Theory after the first episode. Some episodes are also really 'meh' and I skimmed through them, but decent overall.

Entourage, ugh...male Sex and the City, no thanks!

I've heard How I Met Your Mother is good, and the few episodes I've seen I've liked, but it's hard to jump into at this point.

Cover Affairs I've just started. I'm surprised it's shot in Toronto. I only checked after I saw a pretty well-traveled Canadian actress, Kari Matchett, on it. Get a strong Alias vibe, but definitely not as good so far.

AnkitT

Finished watching Bored To Death, since I was feeling the same way. Pretty awesome show. Kept watching for Galifianakis, and boy did it deliver!

Did anyone notice how the Covert Affairs episodes were all named after Led Zeppelin songs? That's pretty awesome (similar to Supernatural, where they do this as well from time to time): Walter's Walk, No Quarter, In The Light. Makes me want to listen to Zeppelin again. :)

Iceman

Covert Affairs pilot. Weak.

It seems to be catering to a female target, focusing on (to me) a totally unrelateable 3 week sex filled romp on a tropical island in which she fell head over heels in love. Otherwise, she has no weaknesses or hesitations and everyone falls in love with her immediately. Her?

But the show has some upsides. Peter Gallagher as the smarmy/slick CIA boss, her steely superior, the blind handler, and brazillian jiujitsu.

She's just starting out too capable and the show is focusing too much on romance right away.

Maybe it's just a shotgun approach to a pilot, trying to showcase all the different themes they want to touch on right away, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll get the next few episodes a shot though. It could potentially fill the Alias void and maybe company Chuck for a while if they tighten the screws.

01_Generation_Kill.jpg

Just started watching Generation Kill for the first time, have two of the three discs thanks to Netflix. With The Wire as my favorite show, I had no reservations about it being a bad show. And of course, it's not. Complex, funny, and sad. So much happens in an episode, if anything, they have the "frenetic" aspect of the events down. Superb editing and shooting with lots of varied and experimental shots. Very hard to watch but rewarding, if that's the right word.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
afternoon delight said:
01_Generation_Kill.jpg

Just started watching Generation Kill for the first time, have two of the three discs thanks to Netflix. With The Wire as my favorite show, I had no reservations about it being a bad show. And of course, it's not. Complex, funny, and sad. So much happens in an episode, if anything, they have the "frenetic" aspect of the events down. Superb editing and shooting with lots of varied and experimental shots. Very hard to watch but rewarding, if that's the right word.

Fruity Rudy is the man.

He's also playing himself which is pretty cool.

I've been watching Pillars of the Earth. Its kind of like a tamer version of A Game of Thrones. Characters are all pretty one-dimensional but its still entertaining.

Just a quick question for those who've seen GK: Does it ever let up? I doubt it, but is there sufficient breathing room between events in episodes/arcs? Because I don't know if I can watch more than two episodes in a row without taking a break. Serious images captured on screen, etc.

Watched the first 2 seasons of Damages over the past week. So fucking good! Glenn Close is spectacular. Great supporting cast, too. Ted Danson especially.

AnkitT

afternoon delight said:
Just a quick question for those who've seen GK: Does it ever let up? I doubt it, but is there sufficient breathing room between events in episodes/arcs? Because I don't know if I can watch more than two episodes in a row without taking a break. Serious images captured on screen, etc.
It doesnt really. There might be sort of "relaxation periods" from episode to episode, but thats momentary. Really enjoyed the show, top notch characters!

Mifune

Mehmber
Just watched the first season of Brotherhood on Netflix Instant Watch. This was the Showtime show that was supposed to be the network's "answer to The Sopranos." It made it three seasons before being canceled. It deserved a much better fate.

Seriously, if you're a fan of The Sopranos or The Wire or any intelligent crime drama, give it a watch. It's not really much like those shows, though. I mean, sure, it's got the moral ambiguity of the former and the municipal reach of the latter, but to me it feels more like Mystic River with the murder mystery angle removed.

Jason Isaacs is fucking phenomenal as Michael Caffee, the hardass gangster who just doesn't know how to do anything else with his life. On paper a lot of the show's characters and situations seems like big ol' cliches, but in motion there's something brutally honest and heartbreaking about them.

Really a great show. Now onto Season Two.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Mifune said:
Just watched the first season of Brotherhood on Netflix Instant Watch. This was the Showtime show that was supposed to be the network's "answer to The Sopranos." It made it three seasons before being canceled. It deserved a much better fate.

I tried to make a case for this show last year after finishing the third season, but to no avail. Maybe they'll listen to you. :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ive been watching Prison Break. i dont know if the show just got better after that flashback episode or if it was the weed i was smoking, but the last few episodes were tons better than what came before.

Salazar

Cosmic Bus said:
I tried to make a case for this show last year after finishing the third season, but to no avail. Maybe they'll listen to you. :)

They would not listen, they're not listening still...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
anaron said:
Really looking forward to it. I've heard nothing but positive things about it which is expected considering Shawn Ryan and Tim Minear's involvement. :)

ETA: Olivia Williams! :D

Donal Logue makes me want to puke. The man ruins everything he touches.

forrest

formerly nacire
zafarsaand said:
Finished watching Dexter season 4 and wow. This show impresses with every new season. But quite sad ending and unexpected.

Just finished Seasons 1 and 2 of True Blood and just started Dexter (only 2 episodes in). I actually liked True Blood quite a bit, but it's extremely campy. Dexter seems like it's going to be great as well. I also want to start watching Breaking Bad soon as I hear it's great.

Zabojnik

I just finished watching the last episode of the 2nd season of The West Wing. That was ... stunning, simply stunning. I'm still in awe. Amazing television right there.
The whole final part, where Brothers In Arms starts playing in the background, with the storm raging outside, right after the president's immaginary talk with his secretary, who died earlier in the day. The flashbacks to his youth, to his father and to the then still young Mrs. Landingham. To walk to the podium in front of the journalists, the question, the silence. Leo's "watch this" line and then the president's hands that go into his pockets, the looking away and the smile. Amazing.
America, fuck yeah! And I'm not even american. :) Fantastic series, I can't believe I ignored it for so long.

Salazar

Zabojnik said:
I just finished watching the last episode of the 2nd season of The West Wing. That was ... stunning, simply stunning.

Yes, that series is one of the great accomplishments of television. Josh, Sam, and Toby are so damned good.

Zapages

Finished watching Season 1 through 3 of Chuck... Great comedy mixed with some awesome action scenes... Although the first half of Season 3 was a bit of a downer in my opinion as it seemed like each episode was routine in and out...

Messi

Does anyone know of a site that lets you create a list of shows you like and it then tells you when the next episode of each is airing.

Like tvcountdown.com but with more shows.

Vamphuntr

Rewatched a bunch of Bones episodes since I own season 1-4 on DVD. It's really an uneven experience. Some episodes are very nice with great dialogues, fun mysteries that you get that satisfying feeling that it makes so much sense when you get the answer and a great chemistry between Deschanels and Boreanaz. The prosecuting attorney, Carolyne is great and very well played. Some episodes are quite horrible though, with botched murder scenarios, terrible jokes and OOC moments.

I'm not sure if the episodes are written by a bunch of different persons because from one episode to another the characters seems to go out of character quite often. Brennan alternates between a slut and and a nerd. Some episodes are all about tolerance, accepting different people and then you get an episodes where they keep a laughing at a japanese guy because he is androgynous. Some seasons have major story arcs like the secrets of Bones parents and the Gormogon Killer while the rest is pretty much episodic. Like other crime shows the science they use makes little sense. The victim always ends up having a rare bone disorder or ends up being killed in a location where like a very specific bug is present. They always ends up finding traces of common chemicals like Acetone on the victims (even if it's volatile at room temperature) and pretend it's ultra rare and used only by a specific company or industry in Washington.They did 5 seasons with the OMG are they gonna end up together. Don't know how it will fare in Season 6.

It's one of the rare show where I get a feel good sensation.

Zabojnik said:
I just finished watching the last episode of the 2nd season of The West Wing. That was ... stunning, simply stunning. I'm still in awe. Amazing television right there.
The whole final part, where Brothers In Arms starts playing in the background, with the storm raging outside, right after the president's immaginary talk with his secretary, who died earlier in the day. The flashbacks to his youth, to his father and to the then still young Mrs. Landingham. To walk to the podium in front of the journalists, the question, the silence. Leo's "watch this" line and then the president's hands that go into his pockets, the looking away and the smile. Amazing.
America, fuck yeah! And I'm not even american. :) Fantastic series, I can't believe I ignored it for so long.
Such a great moment. The scene in the cathedral was also amazing.

I'm watching The West Wing now too. I'm currently 3/4 of the way through Season Three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom