• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Easy way is to Skip Season 6, after the 1st 4 episodes. Though, 7 and 8 has some great episodes, they're scattered around some not great ones.

Been through most of Stargate Universe, and I actually quite like it, though it does have alot of critics.

3 episodes into Sons of Anarchy. Yeah, I think I will really enjoy this one.

On another note, it's kind of crazy how many excellent series have popped up in the last 10 or so years of television. I'm currently catching up to, and following so many different shows, it's hard to keep up at times.

hamchan

Net_Wrecker said:
On another note, it's kind of crazy how many excellent series have popped up in the last 10 or so years of television. I'm currently catching up to, and following so many different shows, it's hard to keep up at times.

Indeed, it's the golden age of TV we're in folks.

hamchan said:
Indeed, it's the golden age of TV we're in folks.

Seriously. Aside from huge budget special effect/CG driven spectacles that TV will probably never be able to replicate due to obvious reasons, good TV has surpassed film in terms of acting, story, and in many cases, direction. Of course there are still top notch films out there, and still to come, but the consistency and sheer amount of good shows from the last ten years puts film to shame IMO.

Net_Wrecker said:
3 episodes into Sons of Anarchy. Yeah, I think I will really enjoy this one.

I'm in the same boat! (Both in regards to SoA and so many TV shows to watch.)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I finished season 1 of Breaking Bad last night. It's a great show, not quite elite level yet but I can see it there if the quality goes up a little in season 2.
Cranston and Paul are both great, I can see why they got those Emmys.

Mifune

Mehmber
Cosmic Bus said:
Pleeease give Showtime's Brotherhood a try.

High-five.

Yeah, I've been telling everyone who has any interest in smart, complex crime shows to give Brotherhood a shot. A shame that the third season isn't on Netflix instant watch.

satriales

Blader5489 said:
Watch through to the end of S4, then stop.
S4 is the weakest as they just find excuses to have a gunfight/explosion every week. S6 is also weak but it starts off brilliantly and even at it's worst it is still highly entertaining. The other seasons (S5, S7, and S8) are all excellent.

Drewsky

Mifune said:
High-five.

Yeah, I've been telling everyone who has any interest in smart, complex crime shows to give Brotherhood a shot. A shame that the third season isn't on Netflix instant watch.
I might try watching this since most of it is on Instant.

Raggy

Banned
5th Season of the new Doctor Who.

Can't say I dig Matt Smith, he got big shoes to fill after Tennant, still a great show however!

JaCy

^ Wait until the season is over, then make a judgment. I honestly wasn't too fond of him at first either.

Anyway I just finished the first season of Pushing Daisies, what a cliffhanger. I'm starting the second season now.

Sober

JaCy said:
Anyway I just finished the first season of Pushing Daisies, what a cliffhanger. I'm starting the second season now.
Too bad the show got the equivalent of one season's worth of episodes, the show was just so brilliant. If you enjoyed S1 though you will definitely love S2.

Too bad none of the big plot points get resolved. At least until the comics come out. IF they come out.

Solo

Watched S1, S2, S3 and all of S4 that has aired so far of Mad Men during my ban. Best thing since sliced bread, aka Deadwood. Goddamn. There is a single thing about this show that isn't approaching note-perfect. The writing, the amazing cast (Jon Hamm is my new mancrush), the issues it deals with, the way it seamlessly weaves history into the narrative, the aesthetic, you name it. Don Draper's fall from grace is like some spectacular trainwreck - totally captivating. I was blown away to find that despite S1 being incredible, S2 bettered it handily, and S3 then blew that completely out of the water. The final 3-4 episodes of S3 are lightning in a bottle.

Hex

Banned
My regulars are House and Lie to Me as well as rotations of True Blood, Dexter, Psych, and Burn Notice depending on season.
Terriers was not bad either so will give it a shot.
Also usually watch Tosh 2.0, Man vs Food, Daily Show and Colbert via DVR (and good eats when I remember)
Doctor Who and Top GEar are my BBC America vices and I am glad that they are showing the three eps of Sherlock on PBS in November since they were fantastic.

ive been trying to catch up with Sons of Anarchy .. i'm about half way through season 1

it's good stuff but it's really quite crass.. the episode with
Dutch being creepy as fuck and attempting to rape Tara was pretty unnerving

I'm not sure that I'm buying Katey Sagal in that role either. she's hot and all but something about her makes it hard for me to take her seriously. when she acts all tough it comes across as fake

Igoritza

Banned
new show -

Terriers

a good one! private investigators, two actors, you may know them:

1. Rene from True blood

2. fat guy from "life" (charlie crews), that ran the station in season 2.

Hex

Banned
Igoritza said:
new show -

Terriers

a good one! private investigators, two actors, you may know them:

1. Rene from True blood

2. fat guy from "life" (charlie crews), that ran the station in season 2.

Come on man, that hurts.
We are in the "athletically challenged" range

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Bought season 1 of Breaking Bad on iTunes. Watched the first two episodes. So far so good.

Also watching Dexter season 4 on Blu-Ray.

Boonoo

Drealmcc0y said:
I watched the first two episodes of mad men, its good stuff maybe i'll continue one day

I wasn't hooked on Mad Men until maybe episode 4 or 5. I remember watching the first disc and feeling ho hum about it. I picked it up again maybe a month or 2 later and really fell in love.

I posted a thread for Boardwalk Empire if any of you are going to watch that. It starts next Sunday.
brianjones said:
ive been trying to catch up with Sons of Anarchy .. i'm about half way through season 1

it's good stuff but it's really quite crass.. the episode with
Dutch being creepy as fuck and attempting to rape Tara was pretty unnerving

I'm not sure that I'm buying Katey Sagal in that role either. she's hot and all but something about her makes it hard for me to take her seriously. when she acts all tough it comes across as fake
SoA really picks up towards the end of S1, and S2 is fantastic. It is extremely violent and crazy. Kurt Sutter came up with a lot of the really insane stuff on The Shield, and he's the one heading up SoA. I'm surprised to hear your comments about Sagal - most people love her performance in this.
Solo said:
Corny - any word yet of when Justified S2 will debut? I won't have to wait until March 2011, will I? :(
I haven't seen anything about when S2 will be, but probably Spring 2011 at the earliest. I don't think they've started shooting it yet.

Yeah, just FLEW through the first 2 season of Sons of Anarchy. Safe to say that I'll be keeping up with this series from now on, great stuff.

Jay Sosa

Watched Vampire Diaries few days ago, think it was the first episode. Damn this show is even more boring than True Blood. I know I shouldn't judge a series based on one episode but I already wasted precious minutes of my life tryin to get into True Blood. Seems that Twilight ruined Vampires forever. I mean they do know that Vampires aren't supposed to beall cuddly and nice and cry about that they have to stay virgins forever (That scene was the final reason for me to stop watching True Blood). Buffy atleast did a good job explaining why Angel and then Spike were kinda good and even those two had a hard time not going all psycho and slaughter people..

But hey, teenage girls need some shows to watch too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finally got my Breaking Bad season 2 disc from Nettyflicks. After being sent the wrong disc twice, I finally got my shit.

Anyways, thank to this awesome show I lost two hours of sleep last night. I only watched the first two episodes, but goddamn, those were season finale caliber episodes both in terms of quality and high stakes. If I didn't have to work early in the morn I probably would have watched all 5 episodes on the BD in a row. I can't wait to see what happens next, with
Michael Chiklis becoming directly involved with Walt's shenanigans now that he found and killed Tucco and knows about Walt's involvement with Jesse. There's so much hanging in the balance, this season is gonna be non-stop suspense.

so good.

tabsina

I'm about half way through Season 3 of the wire, still liking it, but I feel like it is not as strong as the first season - how does the rest of the season as well as 4+5 'rate' compared to the earlier seasons?

gdt

tabsina said:
I'm about half way through Season 3 of the wire, still liking it, but I feel like it is not as strong as the first season - how does the rest of the season as well as 4+5 'rate' compared to the earlier seasons?

Well, S3 and S4 are pretty much universally agreed to be the best seasons. S4, more so.

You're just an outlier, I guess.

tabsina

gdt5016 said:
Well, S3 and S4 are pretty much universally agreed to be the best seasons. S4, more so.

You're just an outlier, I guess.

as I said, I like it - just not as much as the first season - yet

since i've only watch the first half of s3, and that the show has so far been more about the complete package than individual episodes (for me, anyways), i'll probably reevaluate at the end of the season

also, outlier, :lol i'm sorry if it wasn't intended on your part, but that read as a slightly defensive comment - unless the first half of season 3 was the best of S3 and S4, i wouldn't say that just yet

gdt

tabsina said:
as I said, I like it - just not as much as the first season - yet

since i've only watch the first half of s3, and that the show has so far been more about the complete package than individual episodes (for me, anyways), i'll probably reevaluate at the end of the season

also, outlier, :lol i'm sorry if it wasn't intended on your part, but that read as a slightly defensive comment - unless the first half of season 3 was the best of S3 and S4, i wouldn't say that just yet

It's not offensive, I'm just saying that S3 and S4 are usually considered the best seasons.

Hmm, I thought S3 was the best pretty much from the word go, mostly due to the fact that everything is up and running at the start. It's really intense. And I love the Carcetti storyline and character.

But...yes...wait till the end of the season, you'll change you're opinion, I think :D .

tabsina

gdt5016 said:
It's not offensive, I'm just saying that S3 and S4 are usually considered the best seasons.

Hmm, I thought S3 was the best pretty much from the word go, mostly due to the fact that everything is up and running at the start. It's really intense. And I love the Carcetti storyline and character.

But...yes...wait till the end of the season, you'll change you're opinion, I think :D .

hah, sweet

one of the smaller things i love about this show is how the main characters don't just know who each of the other main characters are (and what they're doing) just because they are the main characters..

just one example is how they didn't even realise
avon was out of prison
until a good number of episodes later - that was a pretty great moment when they all discovered it

edit: spoilered just in case others haven't watched to there yet

Blader

Looking for opinions on:

John Adams
HBO miniseries have been 3-for-3 for me so far, and I love Paul Giamatti, but just wondering what other people thought of this?

Spartacus: Blood and Sand
I remember the previews last year looked fucking awful and derivative, and some of the dialogue people were quoting from the first few episodes was corny as fuck, but now everyone seems to love it? :lol I don't get it, is this show worth catching up on or not?

Blader5489 said:
John Adams
HBO miniseries have been 3-for-3 for me so far, and I love Paul Giamatti, but just wondering what other people thought of this?
I didn't LOVE it, but it's definitely worth a watch. There are some very entertaining and interesting parts, mostly towards the beginning of the series, IIRC. For some reason, they go totally crazy with the Dutch angles, though.

Oh, and throw me on the Sons of Anarchy bandwagon. I kinda wanted to watch it from its initial airing, but never got around to it. I went through S1 pretty damn quickly and was blown away, and then I devoured Disc 1 of S2 in one day. I just got Disc 2 from Netflix today, but I won't get around to it until tomorrow. I might end up staying up until 2 am watching the entire disc.

The show is truly a worthy successor to The Shield.

Blader5489 said:
Looking for opinions on:

John Adams
Absolutely worth watching, I put it second to only Band of Brothers when it comes to HBO miniseries (curious as to what your other two are, Generation Kill and...?)

lordoftherink said:
Absolutely worth watching, I put it second to only Band of Brothers when it comes to HBO miniseries (curious as to what your other two are, Generation Kill and...?)
I'd guess From The Earth to the Moon.

Blader

CajoleJuice said:
I'd guess From The Earth to the Moon.

Shit, I totally forgot about that. In that case, it'd be 4-for-4 (the last one being The Pacific, which, apparently unlike most, I enjoyed).

Blader5489 said:
Shit, I totally forgot about that. In that case, it'd be 4-for-4 (the last one being The Pacific, which, apparently unlike most, I enjoyed).
Crap, I forgot about The Pacific. Still need to check it out. I was going to follow lordoftherink's model.

ATF487

Been rewatching Season 2 of Party Down, also I just bought the Daria DVDs and I'm plowing through that series too. Still a great show but I wish they would have tried to get the cast together for some commentaries. It's a pretty bare bones package

I got the set for 29 dollars so maybe I shouldn't complain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom