• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Messi said:
Does anyone know of a site that lets you create a list of shows you like and it then tells you when the next episode of each is airing.

Like tvcountdown.com but with more shows.
I just use my DVR. Has a queue/to do list.

Zabojnik said:
I just finished watching the last episode of the 2nd season of The West Wing. That was ... stunning, simply stunning. I'm still in awe. Amazing television right there.
The whole final part, where Brothers In Arms starts playing in the background, with the storm raging outside, right after the president's immaginary talk with his secretary, who died earlier in the day. The flashbacks to his youth, to his father and to the then still young Mrs. Landingham. To walk to the podium in front of the journalists, the question, the silence. Leo's "watch this" line and then the president's hands that go into his pockets, the looking away and the smile. Amazing.
America, fuck yeah! And I'm not even american. :) Fantastic series, I can't believe I ignored it for so long.
Don't let anyone tell you the last three seasons (5, 6, and 7) aren't worth viewing. They are. The last three seasons are really good.

Messi said:
Just nowhere near as good as 1-4 :D
I wouldn't say that, actually. Yeah, Seasons 5-7 have their bumps and hurdles, but having recently re-watched the entire series, I don't think I could place any 1-4 over 5-7 (except maybe 5). Each season of The West Wing, to me, is about the same in quality. Nothing engaged me more in the entire series than
the Santos campaign for presidency, and that dominates the majority of season 6 and nearly all of season 7

Yeah, sure, none of the episodes in seasons 5-7 reached the quality of "In Excelsis Deo," or "Two Cathedrals," but the consistency of the quality in seasons 5-7 more than makes up for that.

Over the weekend me and the wife started The Big Bang Theory It's not high art but It makes me laugh, I really enjoy it.

edit: oh yeah we also finished GLEE, bring on season 2 I want to start watching DEADWOOD can anyone let me know if that show is quality?

JetBlackPanda said:
I want to start watching DEADWOOD can anyone let me know if that show is quality?

Deadwood is AMAZING. Just be prepared for a TON of foul language (if you're one of "those" people that are bothered by that sort of thing), and a last episode that doesn't provide any closure due to the show being canceled unexpectedly. It's a top notch series.

Salazar

Eastbound and Down SUCKS. So goddamned tedious. Badly written. Uninterestingly shot. Poorly acted.

I am disgustedly amazed that anybody likes it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I loved :

Sopranos
Dexter
First season of lost
Arrested Development
Curb your enthusiasm

What would you recommend me?

I tried watching the first episode of the wire, but it didn't really feel like "my kind" of show.

big ander

Corky said:
I loved :

Sopranos
Dexter
First season of lost
Arrested Development
Curb your enthusiasm

What would you recommend me?

I tried watching the first episode of the wire, but it didn't really feel like "my kind" of show.
Breaking Bad
Party Down
Maybe Firefly?
Maybe Fringe?
And upcoming shows you may be interested in:
Boardwalk Empire (crime show with a star-studded cast+crew)
running wilde (Will Arnett and Mitch Hurwitz and David Cross)
Walking Dead (AMC series about a zombie apocalypse, but more about the characters who try and survive it)

I finally started Breaking Bad. Flew threw season 1 over about 2 days. Loved it. Just have to find season 2.
Watched the first 4 episodes of the Pillars of the Earth miniseries and I love it. Great acting and some fun characters, a cool setting, and the whole idea of a political thriller in 1100 draws me in.

Corky

big ander said:
Breaking Bad
Party Down
Maybe Firefly?
Maybe Fringe?
And upcoming shows you may be interested in:
Walking Dead (AMC series about a zombie apocalypse, but more about the characters who try and survive it)

I finally started Breaking Bad. Flew threw season 1 over about 2 days. Loved it. Just have to find season 2.
Watched the first 4 episodes of the Pillars of the Earth miniseries and I love it. Great acting and some fun characters, a cool setting, and the whole idea of a political thriller in 1100 draws me in.

cheers, will take a look at those

Corky

big ander said:
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad
Breaking Bad

omg thank you soo much for this, only seen the pilot as of yet but I'm hooked! Seems like one amazing show :D!

Just finished ROME.

WOW. Top notch acting, writing, set design, costume design, etc. Just overall polish to the nth degree. It's also crazy how big a span of time they fit into just 22 hours of television, and it all flowed very well. Highly recommended.

Ceres

Banned
Watched all 3 series of IT Crowd that were on Netflix Instant this weekend. The show is hilarious. I hope series 4 gets a US release soon and it goes up on Instant.

I think I'm going to watch The Misfits next before all the fall shows are back.

big ander

Corky said:
omg thank you soo much for this, only seen the pilot as of yet but I'm hooked! Seems like one amazing show :D!
That's how I was, hooked right after the pilot. I want season 2 so bad, haven't been able to get my hands on it.
And you should definitely also watch Party Down. It's one of the best comedies of the past 10 years.

Salazar said:
Eastbound and Down SUCKS. So goddamned tedious. Badly written. Uninterestingly shot. Poorly acted.

aw thats disappointing.. i got the series coming from netflix.

im trying to figure out which series i should watch next.. i feel like ive seen pretty much all the greats.. was thinking

alias
sons of anarchy
dr. who
west wing
damages
chuck
life on mars (uk)

any thoughts on which to prioritize?

Salazar

brianjones said:

Much of GAF would probably disagree - it was on a moderately strong GAF recommendation that I checked it out.

As for your list, West Wing.

It took me a little while to get used to Eastbound and Down. I was appalled at first, but then I started laughing....a lot.
brianjones said:
I haven't seen much of Alias, WW, or Dr. Who, so I can't speak to those. As for the others, they're all good choices - just depends what sort of tone you're looking for. Sons of Anarchy is like a lot of FX - takes some time to get going and the action is pretty brutal, but it all comes together towards the end of S1. Damages is well acted and pretty complicated, but S1 holds up very well on DVD (it's better suited for marathoning that watching week-by-week.) Chuck is one of my favorites - fun action/comedy with likable leads, good soundtrack, etc... I haven't finished Life on Mars, but I enjoyed what I've seen so far through about 4 episodes.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
WTF is Head Rush on science channel?

It has the girl from mybusters as a host and is showing a mythbustets episode between her doing solo experiments and educating bill bye style.

brianjones said:

im trying to figure out which series i should watch next.. i feel like ive seen pretty much all the greats.. was thinking

alias
sons of anarchy
dr. who
west wing
damages
chuck
life on mars (uk)

West Wing
Life on Mars
Doctor Who (series 5!)

jakncoke

Banned
finished Regenesis today, good show but holy fuck this that last episode piss me off. Whoever wrote/directed that needs punched what a mess.

BeeDog

I've been watching Damages season 2 for the past few days, and holy shit I've forgotten how good this show is (was over a year ago I saw season 1). The cast is amazing (probably the best actors in a TV show ever?), and I love how intricate (some would say convoluted) the storylines are. Really dig all this conspiracy/cliffhanger/political stuff. I was put off by some negative comments about season 2 sucking (at least compared to the first one), but I'm loving this. And by all accounts season 3 should be even better. :D

gdt5016 said:
Listen you beautiful bitch I'm bout to fuck you up with some truth.

Eastbound fucking rocks.

haha i have to agree.. i liked it

"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is I'm not. i honestly just feel that America is the best country and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called 'patriotism'. "

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
2 episodes left of Dexter season 3. Jimmy Smits is so fucking good.

brianjones said:
haha i have to agree.. i liked it

"Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is I'm not. i honestly just feel that America is the best country and all the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called 'patriotism'. "

Glad to hear it!

Jay Sosa

Watched the entire 3rd season of Veronica Mars in 2 weeks and now I'm sad after realizing the show was canceled.

Now I'm not sure what I want to watch next, either the second Buffy season or Firefly.
Can anyone recommend me some crime/drama like Sopranos/The Wire. Saw a few episodes of this Australian mafiaesque show but that was boring, is the Black Donellys any good?

I don't want to see (too much) relationship drama (not like FNL or True Blood all this girly shows ) and interesting storylines, any other suggestions?

Anything about drugs, mafia and shit like that. And preferably something were it's not only black and white (as in good vs bad guys) but more like The Wire.

Maybe I'll watch the 3. Breaking Bad season but Hal's family just pisses me of so much that I get angry watching the show sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up, especially "Boardwalk Empire" sounds interesting.

How many episodes did you watch? At first I also was amazed by the positive feedback, but afer a couple of episodes It got better and better, the last few were simply amazing. However I don't know if it was a good idea to film another season, the ending was perfect.

Watched all 3 series of IT Crowd that were on Netflix Instant this weekend. The show is hilarious. I hope series 4 gets a US release soon and it goes up on Instant.

I think I'm going to watch The Misfits next before all the fall shows are back.

I know I'm alone on this but the 4th season has been a bit disappointing only the last 2 episodes were really funny(especially the last one)

Btw: When the fuck is the new ASIP season starting? Did they push it back because of big birds pregnancy?

anaron

Just started watching Ab Fab and am absolutely (lol) smitten with it.

"Could you not pull that face while you grind? I don't want to drink a cup full of your anger."

brianjones said:

alias
sons of anarchy
dr. who
west wing
damages
chuck
life on mars (uk)

I liked both Sons of Anarchy and Damages out of your list. Should go with those imo....

hamchan

So I spent the entirety of today watching season 3 of Friday Night Lights, start to finish.

You people who recommended this show to me.... *thumbs up*

BeeDog

I've watched the first 6 episodes of Sons of Anarchy, season 2. Sooooo gooooood, and I've heard it only gets better and better and better and better. :D Such a grand show.

I've been watching Human Target over the last few days. The actions scenes are a load of fun and the production values are great. I initially thought Mark Valley was a dull and charisma-less lead, but he has grown on me a lot. He handles delivery of the the sarcastic one-liners extremely well.

Jackie Earle Haley's character is such an intriguing badass. He'll pretty much always do something hilariously unexpected each episode.

Bear McCreary's music is awesome (as usual) too. I had the theme stuck in my head all day yesterday. :lol

hamchan said:
So I spent the entirety of today watching season 3 of Friday Night Lights, start to finish.

You people who recommended this show to me.... *thumbs up*
*thumbs up*

You're in for a real treat with Season 4. The first 6 or so episodes are some of the best the show has done.

Buttchin

nacire said:
Just finished Seasons 1 and 2 of True Blood and just started Dexter (only 2 episodes in). I actually liked True Blood quite a bit, but it's extremely campy. Dexter seems like it's going to be great as well. I also want to start watching Breaking Bad soon as I hear it's great.

dexter season 2 is awesome...

I order them 2>4=1>3

Kite

I just started watching The West Wing and now I am even more depressed over the current US political situation. It is amazing how they somehow made a boring-sounding subject matter into a fantastic show so far (1 season in).

Merguson

Banned
Watched Season 1 of Breaking Bad, didn't care for it.

Currently watching Mad Men Season 1, three episodes so far, pretty good.

Boonoo

So I've been binging on 24 lately, and now I just finished the 3rd season. Is it worth it to watch through the end, or is this a good place to stop.

starting the sopranos.. can't believe I was missing this. just finished "College". that rat travel agent got what was coming to him

That's a great episode. One of my favorites.

S1lent

I've been watching Trailer Park Boys the last few days. I'm at the beginning of season 3, great stuff so far.

I love the moments that are together both sad and funny, like the shot of Ricky sitting contently in the car he'll be living in as he eats a package of uncooked hot dogs that Julian gave him. :lol

gdt

Boonoo said:
So I've been binging on 24 lately, and now I just finished the 3rd season. Is it worth it to watch through the end, or is this a good place to stop.

Hmm, S4 is mixed, S5 is great, S6 sucks fucking ass, S7 is good, and the first half of S8 is only a few notches above S6, but the second half is up there with 24's best! Hell, the second half has without a doubt the best episode of 24 (Iron Man Jack).

So go for it.

Blader

Boonoo said:

Watch through to the end of S4, then stop.

I made it into season 4 of The Wonder Years before I lost interest. I'm also slowly making my way through The Pacific but I haven't seen an episode in like a week. Was watching an episode every night before bed but just sort of stopped for some reason. It's not a knock on the show or anything because it's fantastic. I want to give Californication a run through again before the new season starts up but I doubt that'll actually happen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I should get disc 2 this tuesday, but I recently watched the first disc of Breaking Bad.
Great show so far, it has lived up to the hype. It's very entertaining and I like the high stakes it has set, I enjoy the tension created by it. I look forward to finishing the season and the rest of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom