• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Jay Sosa said:
Watched Vampire Diaries few days ago, think it was the first episode. Damn this show is even more boring than True Blood. I know I shouldn't judge a series based on one episode but I already wasted precious minutes of my life tryin to get into True Blood. Seems that Twilight ruined Vampires forever. I mean they do know that Vampires aren't supposed to beall cuddly and nice and cry about that they have to stay virgins forever (That scene was the final reason for me to stop watching True Blood). Buffy atleast did a good job explaining why Angel and then Spike were kinda good and even those two had a hard time not going all psycho and slaughter people..

But hey, teenage girls need some shows to watch too.
The first episode is awful and easily the worst of the first season. The show starts out pretty bad and grows in quality with every single episode. It "grows the beard" around episode six and seven.

The writing and pacing is also leagues more consistent than True Blood.

Blader5489 said:
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
I remember the previews last year looked fucking awful and derivative, and some of the dialogue people were quoting from the first few episodes was corny as fuck, but now everyone seems to love it? :lol I don't get it, is this show worth catching up on or not?

It not the best thing ever, but it's one of the most visceral, and gratifying seasons of TV you'll find IMO. The first 2 eps aren't all great, but once the show finds its stride, it never looks back.

y2dvd

Saw Veronica Mars ep 1 last night. Surprisingly, it's not as campy as I thought why with the
divorce and the rape
. Onto the 2nd episode.

Magnus

Hit me gents/ladies, what's priority?:

Sopranos
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Veronica Mars

I know Sopranos is as close to being canonical for a television buff as possible, but it's also ended, and a presently running show has more currency for me at the moment.

If it helps, favorite shows in the past:

Anything Whedon (Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse), Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Family Guy, Mad Men.

Drewsky

Magnus said:

Sopranos
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Veronica Mars

I know Sopranos is as close to being canonical for a television buff as possible, but it's also ended, and a presently running show has more currency for me at the moment.

Anything Whedon (Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse), Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica, Lost.
Breaking Bad.

Mifune

Mehmber
Magnus said:

Sopranos
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Veronica Mars

Anything Whedon (Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse), Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, Family Guy, Mad Men.

Go with Breaking Bad. The Sopranos is a must-watch but it ain't going anywhere.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Magnus said:

Sopranos
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Veronica Mars

I'd go with Dexter personally. Then again I'm one of the few around here that did not like The Sopranos.

Season 1 of Veronica Mars is phenomenal but its all downhill from there.

I'm currently going through season 1 of Breaking Bad myself. Its been pretty good so far but I prefer Dexter.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Magnus said:

Sopranos
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Veronica Mars

You share my taste. Veronica Mars.

Just started watching Pushing Daisies, great show. Sad it got canceled when it did, hopefully it wraps up well. Also, there are not nearly enough TV shows on blu-ray, and a lot of them only have the more recent seasons and not the earlier, better seasons (The Office, How I Met Your Mother, etc.). So disappointing. :/

Been watching the Community S1 after blind buying the DVD set. Highly enjoyable show. I especially enjoy all of the movie references. Some are subtle, and some are not so subtle.

Krowley

Magnus said:

Sopranos
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Veronica Mars

To put my opinion in perspective, I'm a huge Whedon fan, and I also love Battlestar Galactica, Mad men, and Lost. I haven't seen Veronica Mars, so I can't comment on it.

I know you kind of warned away from it, but honestly, Sopranos is the best show listed in my opinion. It's just awesome. It has ups and downs, but the whole package is way above par compared to most television, and it has AMAZING acting.

If you would prefer to watch something that is still on the air, Dexter is the second best show on the list. It has great characters and really interesting season arcs. In a way, it's almost an incredibly twisted take on the idea of a superhero. The seasons are built a lot like the seasons in Buffy, where you have a new "big bad" every year that dominates the overall storyline.

Breaking bad is a really good show, but I've found it overly dark in a way that is generally unpleasant. It's also funny, and I think it is supposed to be a dark comedy, but the humor just drowns in all the blackness, at least for me. It's the kind of show that demands respect, and I think I should like it, but after every episode, I just wish I was watching something else. It doesn't serve as a good escape.

Just watched the first episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. As a big fan of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm I really like it. Added the entire series to my Netflix queue. It makes me happy I am totally LTTP so I have five seasons to blow through.

I am going to watch it all anyway, but does it get better or worse as it goes on? I noticed the seasons are incredibly short, so I imagine that could only be a good thing. Quality over quantity is best IMO.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
GrumpyAlien said:
Just watched the first episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. As a big fan of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm I really like it. ... I am going to watch it all anyway, but does it get better or worse as it goes on?

Much worse. Three very good/great seasons, a fourth that was completely awful and the fifth is really bad but inexplicably managed, like, two decent episodes.

I do accept that this is a minority opinion, of course. Most comedies just don't know when to quit (Curb should've stopped with season six).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cosmic Bus said:
Much worse. Three very good/great seasons, a fourth that was completely awful and the fifth is really bad but inexplicably managed, like, two decent episodes.

I do accept that this is a minority opinion, of course. Most comedies just don't know when to quit (Curb should've stopped with season six).

The show may have had a decline in quality, at least most people feel that way, but I just watched the pilot recently and I didn't think it was as good as the rest of the 1st season and the few after it. I say go for it.

I'm starting episode 5 of Breaking Bad season 2 tonight. So good.

Yeah, I think Always Sunny has gotten much worse, but I continue to watch. And I think I convince myself that what I'm watching is funny, but I'm not actually laughing.

Salazar

Watching the West Wing again. From the beginning.

GOD DAMN I LOVE DONNA.

And, platonically, Josh, Sam, and Toby.

And CJ.

And Margaret. And Joey Lucas.

AND ZOE.

It's all over, GAF. Best show ever.

Dead

well not really...yet
I finally finished watching Veronica Mars.

I was anticipating a disappointing ending or something, but
There wasn't even an ending at all! They didn't even bother to attempt one. The final episode wouldn't even have worked as a season finale, let alone a series finale.

Im not sure if thats worse than a total shit ending or not. Either way, still glad I watched it. I liked season 2 and 3, but season 1 definitely has to rank as one of my favorite shows. Show overall has good rewatch value as well.

big ander

Snuggler said:
So I finally got my Breaking Bad season 2 disc from Nettyflicks. After being sent the wrong disc twice, I finally got my shit.

Anyways, thank to this awesome show I lost two hours of sleep last night. I only watched the first two episodes, but goddamn, those were season finale caliber episodes both in terms of quality and high stakes. If I didn't have to work early in the morn I probably would have watched all 5 episodes on the BD in a row. I can't wait to see what happens next, with
Michael Chiklis becoming directly involved with Walt's shenanigans now that he found and killed Tucco and knows about Walt's involvement with Jesse. There's so much hanging in the balance, this season is gonna be non-stop suspense.

so good.
The start to season 2 certainly is marvelous but are you making a joke about Hank? Because Hank is not played by Michael Chiklis :lol Looks kinda similar though.

I'm not going to list every fall premiere I watched of course, but backlog-wise I'm still on Breaking Bad. 7 episodes in to season 3 now, and I'm feeling like I'll watch at least 2 more tonight. The episode I just watched
was the twins fighting Hank in the parking lot. FUcking ass shit hell fuck. What an intense scene. With any other show, you'd be expecting what happened. But with how dark BB can be, I would have accepted an ending where Hank can't fire the gun and gets chopped by the cousin. But I'm fucking glad that didn't happen.
I cannot wait to watch so much TV. I'm going to go through Rubicon Season 1 (or what's aired so far) after BB Season 3, then I'll probably go for The Shield Seasons 1 and 2. But I also really want to watch Mad Men, so I might put The Shield on hold if I can get my hands on Mad Men soon. I also want to watch BSG because I believe it's going to instant streaming, and I'm hoping to get The Wire Boxset this year.

I just finished Firefly/Serenity this weekend.

I thought Firefly was pretty good -- almost like a live-action Cowboy Bebop. I enjoyed the jokey episodes more than the serious (same with Bebop), but didn't love it as much as some people do. I mean, yeah, it's pretty entertaining, but I didn't *really* like it until the 3rd DVD disc.

Oh, and this is the first Whedon series I've seen, so I came in unbiased. ;)

Drewsky

Just picked up the first season of Mad Men today. Watched the first episode, it was good but it didn't grab me quite as much as Breaking Bad did from the jump.

I'm still really excited to finally be watching it, and looking forward to watching more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm on my last Breaking Bad blu ray :(
I'll need a new show for Netflix to send my, I'm decided between

The Shield
The Wire
Battlestar Gallactica

I'll watch all 3 eventually. The Wire seems like the obvious choice but Battlestar would be something completely different then what I've been watching, but I dislike most TV sci fi for being so damn campy. I still haven't seen a single episode of the Shield, but I'd like to. And I need to watch the Wire but it seems kind of daunting, I kinda feel like doing one of the others first.

thoughts/

Just curious, did anyone else here like the one season of Life on Mars that aired in the U.S.? I'm a sucker for cop dramas and thought this show was really well done (and a bit different from it's British counterpart).

If you haven't watched it and decide to try it out, everything is gravy except for the final episode. Don't watch the final episode.
They were blindsided by the cancellatino of the series and made a completely lame ending IMHO.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Dead said:
I finally finished watching Veronica Mars.

I was anticipating a disappointing ending or something, but
There wasn't even an ending at all! They didn't even bother to attempt one. The final episode wouldn't even have worked as a season finale, let alone a series finale.

To see where things could've theoretically gone, you should watch the conceptual pilot for the series continuation that's on the DVD, had it been picked up for additional seasons. It's... not good.

Salazar

Starting on Season 2 of The West Wing.

It's even better than the first time I watched it.

Josh, Sam, and Toby - so fucking good.

anaron said:
I ready do need to watch the west wing
and then stop when Sorkin leaves :(
Huh? You'd be missing out if you only watched until the end of season 4. While the last three seasons never approach the highs of the first four (particularly, In Excelsis Deo and Two Cathedrals), overall the last three seasons are as good as the first four.

Dax01 said:
Huh? You'd be missing out if you only watched until the end of season 4. While the last three seasons never approach the highs of the first four (particularly, In Excelsis Deo and Two Cathedrals), overall the last three seasons are as good as the first four.
They really aren't. Season 5 marked a significant decline in quality. Season 6 and 7 are very good, though, and the back half of season 7 hits some amazing highs. The Deborah Cahn penned-episodes come the closest to matching the quality and style of banter Sorkin was so masterful at.

DeathNote said:
How is 90210 (lol)? Just saw Rob Thomas is the creator...
He isn't involved in it at all. He had a role in developing it and dropped out to work on other shows.

Watched the premier of No Ordinary Family on Hulu.
I really liked it (though, I'm sure most of GAF hates it).
It seems really well done.

Krowley

Dork Knight said:
I just finished Firefly/Serenity this weekend.

I thought Firefly was pretty good -- almost like a live-action Cowboy Bebop. I enjoyed the jokey episodes more than the serious (same with Bebop), but didn't love it as much as some people do. I mean, yeah, it's pretty entertaining, but I didn't *really* like it until the 3rd DVD disc.

Oh, and this is the first Whedon series I've seen, so I came in unbiased. ;)

If you had seen other Whedon shows, you probably would have liked it more, simply because you can see where he was going with it, and the kinds of awesome things he would have done eventually. If you know the kinds of things Whedon likes to do with character development, it's easy to see that the potential for Firefly was through the roof.

Krowley

Snuggler said:
I'm on my last Breaking Bad blu ray :(
I'll need a new show for Netflix to send my, I'm decided between

The Shield
The Wire
Battlestar Gallactica

I'll watch all 3 eventually. The Wire seems like the obvious choice but Battlestar would be something completely different then what I've been watching, but I dislike most TV sci fi for being so damn campy. I still haven't seen a single episode of the Shield, but I'd like to. And I need to watch the Wire but it seems kind of daunting, I kinda feel like doing one of the others first.

thoughts/

I've seen both the wire and gallactica, and between those two, the wire is the better show. Gallactica is really good though, and its more fun/easier to get into. The wire eventually becomes a lot more rewarding.

Spotless Mind said:
They really aren't. Season 5 marked a significant decline in quality. Season 6 and 7 are very good, though, and the back half of season 7 hits some amazing highs. The Deborah Cahn penned-episodes come the closest to matching the quality and style of banter Sorkin was so masterful at.
They really are.
The Santos campaign for the presidency, and later, Arnold Vinick, was the most engaging part of the entire series. Season 5 opens up strongly with the Zoey kidnapped and the former Speaker as President, then continues with the government shutdown ("I am the President of the United States!"), the current Chief Justice getting sick, MoB in "The Warfare of Genghis Khan," the deal to sit two Supreme court justices in "The Supremes," season 5 has many highlights. It might be the worst season out of the bunch, I'll give you that, but it's hardly bad by any means. I recently watched the entire series, and going from season to season, I didn't notice a huge drop in the overall quality.

Started watching a show called 'Life'. The first two episodes were pretty good. Why did this get cancelled? Does it go downhill after this?

Also watching a lot of Hogan's Heroes. It's good fun.

AceBandage said:
Watched the premier of No Ordinary Family on Hulu.
I really liked it (though, I'm sure most of GAF hates it).
It seems really well done.
Well count me as one that liked it too. Not sure if it's necessarily a good thing, but while my wife was watching she said..."It's like Heroes...if it was actually good".

Todd Margaret with David Cross and Will Arnett starts tomorrow night on IFC.
Created, written by, and starring David Cross (Arrested Development, Mr. Show), THE INCREASINGLY POOR DECISIONS OF TODD MARGARET follows the awkward misadventures of an American office temp and convenient liar named Todd Margaret (David Cross). Margaret bluffs his way into a senior sales position heading up the London office for the new energy drink Thunder Muscle. This six-episode half hour original comedy series, co-written by Shaun Pye (Extras), premieres on IFC Friday, October 1 at 10:00 PM/ET.
They're showing it followed by episodes of Arrested Development and Freaks & Geeks.

Ceres

Banned
When a guy like Shaun Pye actually has a lot of writing credits, it's weird they reference one of his few acting jobs. But I guess it's the only thing most people would know him for in the US.

Yaweee

whatsinaname said:
Started watching a show called 'Life'. The first two episodes were pretty good. Why did this get cancelled? Does it go downhill after this?

No, it actually gets better. It got cancelled because it never picked up in the ratings, but it did get a second season. They really made the final arcs of each season feel like series endings because they thought they would be getting cancelled. The second time, they were right.

What the hell is IFC?

Ceres

Banned
Yaweee said:
No, it actually gets better. It got cancelled because it never picked up in the ratings, but it did get a second season. They really made the final arcs of each season feel like series endings because they thought they would be getting cancelled. The second time, they were right.

What the hell is IFC?

Independent Film Channel. Run by the same people that do AMC and Sundance.

moojito

House!

Person falls over.
Someone has to talk House into treating them. He agrees, reluctantly.
House gathers the team, draws a list on the white board (changed to a clear-board by episode 9)
Tries a treatment.
Patient goes into a seizure.
House sends the black guy to break into the person's house, making a joke about him being a criminal really.
House tries another treatment.
Patient flatlines, pads out, patient revives ok.
House stumped. Has conversation about unrelated topic with someone. Has an epiphany mid-sentence, runs off.
Patient cured!

Not that I'm not enjoying it, mind you. It's pretty interesting stuff, but I hope I've not just described every episode after the first 10 as well, above.

Ducarmel

^ Pretty much that is how most episodes are you are forgetting House being a dick to Cuddy and Wilson,
and his pills if you are at that point in the series.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm working on season 3 of Breaking Bad. It's still great so far, but after this I'm gonna be a bit burnt out on the series since I've been watching it non-stop over the last month.

Battlestar Galactica goes up on US Netflix streaming tomorrow, so it will probably be my next show if I like it. So, what I've heard is that it's a "smart" sci fi show, that someone who doesn't normally watch syfy can enjoy, not some cheesy shit. Is this true? I hope so.

Netflix is also sending me the first season of The Shield, I might watch that instead since I don't like to do two shows at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom