• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkitT

Finished Californication season 3. I think I liked this season better than the previous two, but I really hated what they did with Becca's character initially. Liked the humour better, but maybe thats just me. The
dream sequences towards the end
were a really nice addition.

zlatko

Banned
My shows I keep up to date right now are:

House
Dexter
The Event
Glee
Community
South Park
Family Guy
Fringe
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Modern Family
One Piece

I think that's everything. Last year I was also doing Lost and 24, but they are donezo.

StuBurns

Banned
What's Weeds like? I'm currently going thru The West Wing (incredible) and I have a bit of a crush on Josh's girlfriend, who is also the lead in Weeds.

Black Adder Series One. Not sure why or how I got this far into my life without watching this, but I couldn't be more thrilled that I did. Watched the whole series via Netflix.

Blackadder_prince_edmund.jpg

Salazar

:lol

Dean: "So then, how do we go Pimp of Babylon all over this bitch ?"

This season of Supernatural just confirmed the show's greatness.

Just watched the season 6 finale of Weeds, the show definitely picked up a bit this year, but overall, I'd still like it to end (Even though I know it won't). This finale is sorta like season 3's in that they could end it, and although it would be partially open ended, there is still more than enough closure there for a solid ending,

StuBurns said:
What's Weeds like? I'm currently going thru The West Wing (incredible) and I have a bit of a crush on Josh's girlfriend, who is also the lead in Weeds.

The show was fantastic pretty much until the season 3 finale. 4 and 5 were terrible, I believe that 6 came back to form a bit but the show is still too different from what it used to be for me to really recommend it.

The first three seasons are great, and you can stop after those and still feel good about everything.

I sorta feel like the overall quality of tv has picked up a lot since it first aired, like, I'm not sure that if it launched right now, that it would be as big of a hit. Even with the great first couple of seasons.

Edit : If you are highly interested in Mary Louise Parker, it's definitely worth checking out. Her character is very complex, enough so that she can annoy a lot of fans with her choices because people think she's doing something stupid (She mostly does) but it's not bad writing, it's just that this woman isn't very grounded in conventional ways of thinking.

Actually, earlier I was thinking, coincidentally seeing as how I know your a Lost fan, she reminds of Kate from Lost in a lot of ways....:lol Not so much in personality, but if you watch both shows, you'd probably note a lot of similarities in how they act.

i don't think weeds was ever fantastic but it was certainly better in the first 2, maybe 3 seasons.

if you're a fan of mary-louise parker i would give it a shot

Salazar

Supernatural Season 5 closer.

Argh. Gut-punch. Great season, but I am regularly surprised at how emotional such a consciously and thoroughly silly show can make me.

StuBurns

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
The show was fantastic pretty much until the season 3 finale. 4 and 5 were terrible, I believe that 6 came back to form a bit but the show is still too different from what it used to be for me to really recommend it.

The first three seasons are great, and you can stop after those and still feel good about everything.

I sorta feel like the overall quality of tv has picked up a lot since it first aired, like, I'm not sure that if it launched right now, that it would be as big of a hit. Even with the great first couple of seasons.

Edit : If you are highly interested in Mary Louise Parker, it's definitely worth checking out. Her character is very complex, enough so that she can annoy a lot of fans with her choices because people think she's doing something stupid (She mostly does) but it's not bad writing, it's just that this woman isn't very grounded in conventional ways of thinking.

Actually, earlier I was thinking, coincidentally seeing as how I know your a Lost fan, she reminds of Kate from Lost in a lot of ways....:lol Not so much in personality, but if you watch both shows, you'd probably note a lot of similarities in how they act.
Thanks for the reply. Still going thru the West Wing, and next in line is Firefly, I'll give Weeds a try after that I think.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i've been watching two things:

seinfeld. there was a thread that got bumped recently that stated that seinfeld never gets old, and i jibe with that. i've been particularly focusing on later seasons, 6-9, and i'm just extremely impressed with how balanced each episode is. it includes so many different types of humor and elements that a multitude of tastes can enjoy, from slapstick to self-reference to observational humor. truly worthy of consideration as one of the greatest comedies ever made.

rocky and bullwinkle. first season in this case. i've been reading a lot of john k.'s blog, and he's a big fan of these early seasons because of their tendency to draw r&b off model and play a lot with the designs. rewatching them, i totally agree--there is something organic and extremely funny about the way characters move and interact, and i love it even more now than i did previously (a feat, i assure you).

Jay Sosa

Net_Wrecker said:
Just finished Season 1 of Veronica Mars.

Cotdamn, GATDAYUM what a season finale. The last 3-4 episodes in particular were amazing.

Don't let people trick you into thinking the next two seasons aren't worth watching.

StuBurns

Banned
Salazar said:
Did you fall for Donna ?
Not yet, she irritates me a bit actually, plays into that stereotype of an assistant being bossy to her boss.

I'm disappointed with the show at the moment. I'd heard it went down hill after Sorkin left, but it's not what I expected at all. I thought maybe it'd be less pithy and slower paced maybe, but it's not, the moment to moment is as good as it ever was, but the greater arcs and stories, and in particular new characters, are really below par.

I have one disc left of season five, if six goes further down hill I think I'll be bailing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mad men season 4 has been excellence. 10 episodes in. I particular loved Episode 7 - The Suitcase in particular. I generally have a soft-spot for shows or movies that have a intimate focus on interactions between two well-written characters. And that episode nailed it perfectly. Will probably go down as my all-time favorite mad men episode.

Salazar

StuBurns said:
Not yet, she irritates me a bit actually, plays into that stereotype of an assistant being bossy to her boss.

I was besotted, I'm afraid:lol

The comic rapport between Josh, Sam, and Toby was so vital. Losing Sam was a big deal.

StuBurns

Banned
Lafiel said:
Mad men season 4 has been excellence. 10 episodes in. I particular loved Episode 7 - The Suitcase in particular. I generally have a soft-spot for shows or movies that have a intimate focus on interactions between two well-written characters. And that episode nailed it perfectly. Will probably go down as my all-time favorite mad men episode.
It's my favorite so far, the exchange about her seeking thanks was just incredible. Every moment is pitch perfect. "That's what the money's for".

Salazar said:
I was besotted, I'm afraid:lol
Maybe she'll grow on me, there is still a while left, and I know some of the spoiler-ish stuff coming up so maybe they'll be something that will change my mind.

StuBurns said:

I'm disappointed with the show at the moment. I'd heard it went down hill after Sorkin left, but it's not what I expected at all. I thought maybe it'd be less pithy and slower paced maybe, but it's not, the moment to moment is as good as it ever was, but the greater arcs and stories, and in particular new characters, are really below par.

I have one disc left of season five, if six goes further down hill I think I'll be bailing.
The handling of season 4's cliffhanger was particularly wretched. The only genuinely great episode in the entire season was The Supremes, courtesy of the only consistently great writer left - Debora Cahn.

Season 6's first few episodes are extremely preachy and poorly executed, but once episode 4 hits, which is one of the funniest episodes of the show and an amazing vehicle for Janney, it gets a lot better. It isn't up to level of the first 4 seasons, but it's a solid season overall that brings a few welcome changes in the shows dynamics and is a big step up from season 5.

That said, it does earn the distinction of having the single worst episode of the show, Ninety Miles Away. Kate Harper is a goddamn worthless addition to the ensemble.

StuBurns

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
The handling of season 4's cliffhanger was particularly wretched. The only genuinely great episode in the entire season was The Supremes, courtesy of the only consistently great writer left - Debora Cahn.

Season 6's first few episodes are extremely preachy and poorly executed, but once episode 4 hits, which is one of the funniest episodes of the show and an amazing vehicle for Janney, it gets a lot better. It isn't up to level of the first 4 seasons, but it's a solid season overall that brings a few welcome changes in the shows dynamics and is a big step up from season 5.

That said, it does earn the distinction of having the single worst episode of the show, Ninety Miles Away. Kate Harper is a goddamn worthless addition to the ensemble.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to at least get past those first four episodes before stopping. I can barely believe there will be a worst episode than the one I watched last night, a TV crew making a documentary about CJ. It was garbage.

bud said:
fuck yeah. i should do a rewatch before s4 airs.

what's the last episode you've seen?
Episode 9, season 3. The Fly episode. I know what they were doing but that one episode was pretty excruciating. Now were into the last 3 episodes, I think tomorrow night is the night. Such a painfully addictive show, cleverly woven and paced and somehow believable on the midst of how crazy it gets.

Spotless Mind said:

Nah. "Separation of Powers" and "Shutdown" are both just as good. Some more of my favorites are "The Stormy Present," and "Slow News Day."

JaCy

Just started season 5 of Monk, I really like it but its getting a little formulaic now. I'm glad they're starting to mix it up a little. The only thing that bugged me about the show so far is the sudden departure of Sharona, so far Natalie can't even compare to her.

You should all watch Terriers tonight on FX at 10pm ET. It's too bad that the viewership numbers are so low because a lot of people (including me) think that it's the best new show this Fall.

- Alan Sepinwall: Why you should be watching 'Terriers' - and why FX should save it
- Maureen Ryan: 'Terriers' Is the Best New Show of 2010: Why You Should Be Watching
- CNN: 'Terriers': The best new show you're not watching
- Salon.com: "Terriers": One of this fall's only gems
- Watch ‘Terriers’ while you still can
- TV Guide: Give Terriers a Chance

StuBurns said:
A little into season six of the West Wing now, and I can't believe the person they picked to replace Leo, bullshit.
Yeah, that was a weird choice. Overall, though, and I know some people are going to disagree with this, but S6 and S7 are just as good as the first four.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
Yeah, that was a weird choice. Overall, though, and I know some people are going to disagree with this, but S6 and S7 are just as good as the first four.
Season five was a huge step back I think. So far six has been bad, but I'm going to see at least another disc before I give up I think.

And yeah, Leo's replacement is moronic. Right now I want Josh and Toby to bail and do something else.

Cornballer said:
You should all watch Terriers tonight on FX at 10pm ET. It's too bad that the viewership numbers are so low because a lot of people (including me) think that it's the best new show this Fall.

- Alan Sepinwall: Why you should be watching 'Terriers' - and why FX should save it
- Maureen Ryan: 'Terriers' Is the Best New Show of 2010: Why You Should Be Watching
Wow, I'm surprised this is so highly acclaimed. The previews made it look soooooooo generic, I would never have guessed that it was even trying to be good.

Liara T'Soni said:
Wow, I'm surprised this is so highly acclaimed. The previews made it look soooooooo generic, I would never have guessed that it was even trying to be good.
The marketing was terrible and didn't give any indication of what the show's all about. Those of us that have watched the show really like it. It's a smart-dark-buddy-slacker-noir PI show. Kinda hard to put just one label on it, but it's exceptional and you should all check it out.

StuBurns said:
Season five was a huge step back I think. So far six has been bad, but I'm going to see at least another disc before I give up I think.

And yeah, Leo's replacement is moronic. Right now I want Josh and Toby to bail and do something else.
lol

Cornballer said:

You should have linked my blog post, too! ;)

But really, everyone watch, please. Give it some dignity before it's cancelled.

Kraftwerk

Gave Mad Men a shot a few days ago and holy shit this is good.I barely watch any T.V shows anymore,got netflix a few days ago and mad men popped up in recommendation.Said to myself why not'.I'm glad i clicked :D.
I am almost done with season 1.Perfect timing for me too since my classes and work are in slow-mode during winter.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
That's what I was implying. What he does is the most engaging part of the entire series.
Very exciting, he is my favorite character. That actor was my favorite in Studio 60 as well actually.

StuBurns said:
Very exciting, he is my favorite character. That actor was my favorite in Studio 60 as well actually.
It happens in the ninth episodes (or at the end of episode eight), but honestly, the season starts to pick up when it gets to talking about the China summit.

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
It happens in the ninth episodes (or at the end of episode eight), but honestly, the season starts to pick up when it gets to talking about the China summit.
So is CJ's new position used as a catalyst to move Josh and possibly others onto something else? That would make it much less irritating, although it's still illogical within the show's fiction.

StuBurns said:
So is CJ's new position used as a catalyst to move Josh and possibly others onto something else? That would make it much less irritating, although it's still illogical within the show's fiction.
It's not necessarily a catalyst but if you wanna know:
Donna, Josh, and Will leave

StuBurns

Banned
Dax01 said:
It's not necessarily a catalyst but if you wanna know:
Donna, Josh, and Will leave
Will's not working in the White House where I am, he's still working for the Vice somewhere else. But Toby did give him an inspirational talking to when they were locked in an office together.

StuBurns said:
Will's not working in the White House where I am, he's still working for the Vice somewhere else. But Toby did give him an inspirational talking to when they were locked in an office together.
Forgot about that. Whatevs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom