• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
big ander said:
It's on Hulu. Check it out, it's similar to Scrubs.

From the use of £ and HMV I'd assume he's in the UK.

Spaced is a neat show, I think I got both seasons for about 10 quid total a while back. I've yet to finish the second series though, it's a very odd show. Steeped in geek humour though so it has a certain appeal.

Solo

Anasui Kishibe said:
watched the first two episodes of Chuck 3

:( it's definitely missing that spark..

Welcome to the rest of the series known as Chuck (at least as of this second) - you will still be treated to lots of great individual episodes over the next 2 seasons, but it lost what was its biggest strength in its first 2 seasons - consistency. Its pretty much a toss up week to week if its going to be a great episode or a lousy one.

Solo said:
Welcome to the rest of the series known as Chuck (at least as of this second) - you will still be treated to lots of great individual episodes over the next 2 seasons, but it lost what was its biggest strength in its first 2 seasons - consistency. Its pretty much a toss up week to week if its going to be a great episode or a lousy one.

I was expecting your reply, Solo. You were right, quality is really up and down for now (more down than up, tbh) and that spark I was referring to is that kind of warmth between characters, which is one of Chuck's biggest selling points. I hope we get back to that :/

big ander

randomlyrossy said:
From the use of £ and HMV I'd assume he's in the UK.

Spaced is a neat show, I think I got both seasons for about 10 quid total a while back. I've yet to finish the second series though, it's a very odd show. Steeped in geek humour though so it has a certain appeal.
Whoops, probably why I shouldn't post on GAF while getting on trains.

And it definitely has nerd humor, but I didn't find it too specific. Basically, if you know that Phantom Menace sucked ass, you'll get enough of the in-jokes.

Solo

Anasui Kishibe said:
I was expecting your reply, Solo. You were right, quality is really up and down for now (more down than up, tbh) and that spark I was referring to is that kind of warmth between characters, which is one of Chuck's biggest selling points. I hope we get back to that :/

You do, but again, its very sporadic. You will get episodes where they nail the characterization and character interaction as well as ever, but then the opposite also occurs. I will just give you fair warning of 2 things awaiting you in S3: you will most likely be sick to death of Chuck and Sarah very soon, and Chuck himself is going to do some very sleazy things and generally become an unlikable twat for a large portion of the season.

Also, there were a lot of changes in the writers room in S3 and S4.

Solo said:
You do, but again, its very sporadic. You will get episodes where they nail the characterization and character interaction as well as ever, but then the opposite also occurs. I will just give you fair warning of 2 things awaiting you in S3: you will most likely be sick to death of Chuck and Sarah very soon, and Chuck himself is going to do some very sleazy things and generally become an unlikable twat for a large portion of the season.

Also, there were a lot of changes in the writers room in S3 and S4.

so is S4 better than S3 I take it? I just occasionally lurk the official topic trying to avoid spoilers and people seem to love it. I don't have trouble believing you when you say I'll get sick of the Sarah-Chuck situation because I'm rolling eyes already :lol
but Chuck getting sleazy..god damn. The path to S4 seems rather impervious.

Solo

S4 IS better. Chuck/Sarah angst is replaced with Chuck/Sarah *something else*, which while still being the focus of attention FAR too much, is still a lot more palatable than their emo escapades in S3. My biggest issue with S4 so far is that its a poor man's S2 redux in a lot of ways, and the overall arc hasn't sucked me in at all yet.

To summarize, I view it as

1. S2
2. S1
3. S4 so far
4. S3

awesome then. I'll keep hope alive and burnin through S3 and try to make myself appreciate the "new" Chuck (still not feeling it for now). It's a damned shame but I love the show

Started BSG a couple weeks ago...about to finish season 2 tonight. Pretty awesome so far, though I hear it gets pretty Jesusy in the final season :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im 2/3rds through season 4 of Friday Night Lights. Amazing show, but im fucking bummed so much of the original cast kinda got swapped out for the new guys. Even with a big change like that though, the show still manages to be one of the more emotional ones ive ever seen.

Now i just gotta wait for Season 5 and 6 since im basically watching the show exclusively on disc and netflix.

Blader

~Kinggi~ said:
Im 2/3rds through season 4 of Friday Night Lights. Amazing show, but im fucking bummed so much of the original cast kinda got swapped out for the new guys. Even with a big change like that though, the show still manages to be one of the more emotional ones ive ever seen.

Now i just gotta wait for Season 5 and 6 since im basically watching the show exclusively on disc and netflix.

There is no season 6. S5 will be the end of the show.

Solo

Anasui Kishibe said:
awesome then. I'll keep hope alive and burnin through S3 and try to make myself appreciate the "new" Chuck (still not feeling it for now). It's a damned shame but I love the show

You'll also notice (how could you not? :lol ) that the budget got completely slashed from S3 onwards. S3 and S4 feature a ton of mind-numbingly bad greenscreen work.

CiSTM

Banned
I'm thinking of starting to watch lost but does the show hold up well until the very end ? Six seasons is lot of seasons and there aren't too many shows that can keep up the quality up for so many seasons and don't feel like waisting time on it if the show doesn't hold up. I even heard that the show's quality drops already in the 3rd season.

Jay Sosa

I can't remember any really bad or boring episodes (sure it has some more and some less interesting ones) or even seasons, but I'm not as picky as most people on GAF.

Next to Buffy/Angel and The Wire the best (drama) show I've ever seen.

Krowley

CiSTM said:
I'm thinking of starting to watch lost but does the show hold up well until the very end ? Six seasons is lot of seasons and there aren't too many shows that can keep up the quality up for so many seasons and don't feel like waisting time on it if the show doesn't hold up. I even heard that the show's quality drops already in the 3rd season.

The show has its ups and downs, but it isn't a constant decline. What I mean to say is that the the first season is not the best season, and neither is the second.. It gets better after that, and then worse and then better again etc... Basically, it's a bit of a roller coaster.

Overall, I think it's one of the greatest TV-shows ever, and like most great shows, it has periods of decline followed by rallies. The whole experience is very worthwhile IMO.

Also, at its worst, it's never actually bad. Lost always maintains a big edge over the average TV show even during it's weakest periods.

CiSTM

Banned
Krowley said:
The show has its ups and downs, but it isn't a constant decline. What I mean to say is that the the first season is not the best season, and neither is the second.. It gets better after that, and then worse and then better again etc... Basically, it's a bit of a roller coaster.

Overall, I think it's one of the greatest TV-shows ever, and like most great shows, it has periods of decline followed by rallies. The whole experience is very worthwhile IMO.

Also, at its worst, it's never actually bad. Lost always maintains a big edge over the average TV show even during it's weakest periods.
I'll take your word for it and I'm going to start watching it asap.

Just finished watching:

Hammer Session
Oh! My Girl!
Zettai Kareshi!
Regatta
Hataraki Man

Was surprised at Mokomichi's acting, so I decided to watch his shows. His roles are always top notch.

Salazar

Finishing up Friday Night Lights Season 1.

Timmy Riggins is my hero.
Landry is awesome.
Smash is getting in too deep with Waverly.
Julie is still GODDAMN gorgeous.

This show is great. I know y'all say Season 2 is a drop, or a plateau, but I remain psyched.

A list of what's coming up in January from Maureen Ryan:
Began compiling schedule for January--wow, early 2011 is *very* busy. A list of notable TV dates for January 2011:

Tuesday Jan 4
V returns on ABC
Caprica burnoff on Syfy -- 5 episodes air.

Thursday Jan 6
Season 3 of Jersey Shore on MTV

Friday Jan 7
Episodes debuts on Showtime
Shameless debuts on Showtime

Tuesday Jan 11
Lights Out debuts on FX

Wednesday Jan 12
Off the Map (new Shonda Rhimes drama) debuts on ABC

Monday Jan 17
The Cape debuts on NBC
Being Human debuts on Syfy
US version of Skins debuts on MTV
Harry's Law debuts on NBC

Tuesday Jan 18
White Collar returns on USA

Wednesday Jan 19
American Idol returns on Fox
Hot in Cleveland returns on TV Land

Thursday Jan 20
Parks and Recreation returns on NBC. Yay!
Fairly Legal debuts on USA
Royal Pains returns on USA
American Idol Thursday edition ?

Friday Jan 21
Spartacus Gods of the Arena debuts on Starz.

Monday Jan 24
RuPaul's Drag Race Season. I love me some Ru.

Thursday Jan 27
Archer returns on FX. Bout time.

Monday Feb 7
The Chicago Code debuts on Fox.
There are probably a few errors in there, plus a couple of omissions. Iirc, Californication S4 should premiere towards the beginning of January, as well.

I guess it'll be Lights Out, Spartacus, Parks & Rec, and Californication off of that list for me.

Enco

CiSTM said:
Definitely watch it.

As someone said, it varies a bit but it's overall very good. It gets increasingly fantasy like but it's still very good and I loved the ending.

It's definitely a show that everyone should watch.

Decado

Any standout new shows this coming season? I vaguely recall an interesting one at Showtime...but I'm not sure if they even made the pilot yet.

BTW, was Chuck S3 any good? Better/worse than the previous seasons?

Decado said:
Any standout new shows this coming season?
Lights Out (FX), Shameless (Showtime), and Episodes (Showtime) are new this January. Game of Thrones (HBO) will be premiering sometime in the Spring. It's probably still too early to tell if any of those will be a standout.

Cornballer said:
Lights Out (FX), Shameless (Showtime), and Episodes (Showtime) are new this January. Game of Thrones (HBO) will be premiering sometime in the Spring. It's probably still too early to tell if any of those will be a standout.
I know it doesn't have an official start date yet, but its promos gave me the impression that The Killing will be airing this spring.

I'll also be keeping on eye on The Chicago Code.

Decado

Solo said:
Read the last page or 2.
Ah, well, I never really liked Chuck as much as GAF in S1 or S2 (it was fun, just not a top tier show, IMO), so if it has gotten annoying by your standards it is probably unbearable for me.

Will pass. Thanks.

Decado

Eggplant Wizard said:
I know it doesn't have an official start date yet, but its promos gave me the impression that The Killing will be airing this spring.

I'll also be keeping on eye on The Chicago Code.
Ah, I think The Killing is what I'm thinking of.

While 2011 probably won't match 2010 for me, A Game of Thrones alone should mean it won't be bad and hopefully there are enough new shows coming out that one or two others will grab me.

Eggplant Wizard said:
I believe they're filming it right now. Spring sounds like a reasonable guess unless they're going to try and use BB or MM to pick up some viewers.

Kraftwerk

Finished watching all 4 seasons of Mad Men :D. cannot wait to see what happens next. I have one question :
How did Don go from being such a nice guy to being a super asshole cheating dickface? I mean hell, i love don draper. I'm straight but would do him. I just didnt get how he progressed from being so nice to being an asshole.
Also after the first episode i said to myself ' damn i love Betty, and i fucking hate that Campbell kid'. Now at the end of season 4 i say ' damn i fukin hate Betty, but i like that Campbell kid'

gdt

Man, Don...nice? Don was never nice. I have no idea how you ever interpreted him that way.

Not to say he doesn't do nice things every once in a while.

StuBurns

Banned
Kraftwerk said:
Finished watching all 4 seasons of Mad Men :D. cannot wait to see what happens next. I have one question :
How did Don go from being such a nice guy to being a super asshole cheating dickface? I mean hell, i love don draper. I'm straight but would do him. I just didnt get how he progressed from being so nice to being an asshole.
Also after the first episode i said to myself ' damn i love Betty, and i fucking hate that Campbell kid'. Now at the end of season 4 i say ' damn i fukin hate Betty, but i like that Campbell kid'

Don is cheating from the first episode, he was always an awesome dick.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Don in season 1 was a asshole who somehow had the opportunity to be a good man, but season 4 proved he'll always be a asshole, always.:lol

StuBurns

Banned
Kraftwerk said:
Don was never nice, Dick was. thats wall im saying. I just didn't get the progress from nice to asshat.
Well 'Dick' died in the Suitcase, and he was nice then, Dick never became a twat.

big ander

The Killing, Chicago Code, Parks are the huge ones for me this spring.
Might catch Lights Out eventually.
Want to watch Justified but I fell behind and have only seen the first 2 episodes. Haven't found a way to catch up.

Edt: are these untagged spoilers about somebody named Dick?? My Mad Men BDs get here in a week. :/

Solo

No plans as of this second, gdt.

Kraftwerk said:
Don was never nice, Dick was. thats wall im saying. I just didn't get the progress from nice to asshat.

Dick was never nice either. Dick is a
deserter whole stole the identity of KIA soldier

Been watching Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia after being recommended it by people here. Halfway through season 2 and loving it. Some parts are funnier than others, but it certainly has its gut bustingly hilarious moments.

Anyway, I just realized most of my shows are either over or going to be off season soon and I need something good to watch. Specifically I am wondering how good The Sons of Anarchy is. Strengths? Weaknesses? Anything I should know. I would do some more research, but I am way too paranoid about spoilers.

GrumpyAlien said:
Anyway, I just realized most of my shows are either over or going to be off season soon and I need something good to watch. Specifically I am wondering how good The Sons of Anarchy is. Strengths? Weaknesses? Anything I should know. I would do some more research, but I am way too paranoid about spoilers.
S1 takes a while to get going (be patient) but the back half is quite good. S2 is one of the better seasons of television that I've seen. S3 is disappointing after S2.

Great characters and excellent acting. The creator is a little indulgent with the violence and plotting from time to time, but overall it's well worth watching. It's very similar to The Shield in a lot of ways, which makes sense because Sutter was heavily involved with both shows.

Cornballer said:
S1 takes a while to get going (be patient) but the back half is quite good. S2 is one of the better seasons of television that I've seen. S3 is disappointing after S2.

Great characters and excellent acting. The creator is a little indulgent with the violence and plotting from time to time, but overall it's well worth watching. It's very similar to The Shield in a lot of ways, which makes sense because Sutter was heavily involved with both shows.

You just sold me there. Shield is one of my top 3 for sure. I will at least give it a shot and get the disks from Netflix asap. Thanks.

Salazar said:
Afraid so. He's just talking over Tami.

Street is a bit of a moron at the moment, too. Riggins is keeping it real. Saracen's still cool. Smash is ok.
You watching Best Laid Plans? In my top 5 episodes for sure. The argument you're talking about is one of my favourite scenes. I especially love how that scene begins, with Tami telling him to sit down on the couch and Coach being amusingly hesitant, because he knows something's up. Britton and Chandler have the most insanely good chemistry. It also has my favourite ending of any episode.

Salazar said:
This show is great. I know y'all say Season 2 is a drop, or a plateau, but I remain psyched
Just prepare yourself for a plotline that simply doesn't fit the show and a couple other soap opera-ish subplots that might wear your patience. You're lucky that you can watch it in quick succession, so i don't think you will have as negative a reaction as some of us who watched it as it aired. It isn't a bad season by any means, Tami and Eric remain as strong as ever, for example, and it has some fantastic episodes in the second half, but it's a definite disappointment following season one (which remains my personal favourite season).

Salazar

Spotless Mind said:
Just prepare yourself for a plotline that simply doesn't fit the show and a couple other soap opera-ish subplots that might wear your patience.

:lol :lol :lol

Landry
KILLS THE DUDE!!!!!!?????????

Crack was smoked when this plot was written.

anaron

Salazar said:
:lol :lol :lol

Landry
KILLS THE DUDE!!!!!!?????????

Crack was smoked when this plot was written.
I recommend much brain-bleach following this season - and so do the writers. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The season seems to magically get better once they get past that plotline to. Although we still had to deal with matt's plotline afterwards.:lol

No plans as of this second, gdt.
The Wire should have higher priority then breaking bad anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom