• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Cornballer said:
We're sneaking closer to the end of the year, so critics are starting to get their top 10 lists together. Maureen Ryan posted her's today. She kinda cheats by listing 14 shows. More info via the link, but here's her list for 2010:
ABC's comedy trifecta -- 'Cougar Town,' 'Modern Family' and 'Better Off Ted.'
AMC's drama trifecta -- 'Mad Men,' 'Rubicon' and 'Breaking Bad.'
'Boardwalk Empire,' HBO
'Fringe,' Fox
'The Good Wife,' CBS
'Lost,' ABC
'Parks and Recreation,' NBC
'Party Down,' Starz
'Spartacus: Blood and Sand,' Starz
'Terriers,' FX

First pic from The Killing is up, too:
5sfoj.jpg
Maybe I'll make a pre-premiere thread for The Killing tomorrow if I have time.
Mo really did cheat on that list, but with the bolded on there I don't care :D

And I vote yes on a Killing thread.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Cornballer said:
We're sneaking closer to the end of the year, so critics are starting to get their top 10 lists together. Maureen Ryan posted her's today. She kinda cheats by listing 14 shows. More info via the link, but here's her list for 2010:

First pic from The Killing is up, too:
5sfoj.jpg
Maybe I'll make a pre-premiere thread for The Killing tomorrow if I have time.

Woo Spartacus! Probably my show of the year, but Breaking Bad S3 was amazing as well. Is that chick from Boardwalk Empire?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Woo Spartacus! Probably my show of the year, but Breaking Bad S3 was amazing as well. Is that chick from Boardwalk Empire?
From Big Love, I guess

EDIT: Oh wow, she played the twins. Barely recognizable

big ander

I just completed the entire series of The Shield.

Wow.

I don't even know where to begin. The final chapter of this show is unbelievably spectacular.
It so masterfully takes every single character to a close. The Strike Team all ends so tragically. Everyone around them was hurt so badly, and we see how heavy that weighs on each member...but that didn't warrant them immunity. Ronnie was probably the most innocent, but he was still a guilty man. Shane's murder suicide was poetically tragic. Claudette's looming death coupled with Dutch's undying friendship was so awesome. The New Paradigm guy being shot to show that the streets never change was so appropriate.
And most importantly, Vic. Just......there are no words for the level of perfection that Chiklis and the team of The Shield played at with Vic's ending. I don't even want to try and describe how it made me feel for fear of selling it short.
The Shield is a masterstroke of television. The acting, camera work, and writing are all so good. The banter of the Strike Team and the criminals and the politicians and the unis makes this Farmington environment and establishes these characters for who they are. The camera work is great because it's the kind of docu-drama style that doesn't pretend to be a documentary. That's when I like this style best, actually. And the acting from the smallest roles up to Goggins, Snell, Karnes, Pounder, Johnson, Jace, Martinez, and Ryan.

I cannot praise this show enough. I don't even care how much it's limited my social time over the past 24 days. It was completely worth it. This show is the sort of art work that I watch TV for.

Salazar

Bought Misfits Season 1 and Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season 1.

GAF-hype had better hold up.

Watched The Thick of It: The Specials.

So fucking good. I'm going to shove an ipod up your cock.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
up to Wire season 2 episode 6

that scene when
DeAngelo turns away from Avon was so good

subtle, yet so poignant

Also, Omar on the witness stand was a fuckin hoot (the shotgun & the briefcase)

: (

Salazar said:
Bought Misfits Season 1 and Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season 1.

Awesome. You've probably been told like 12 times before but just in case: the first 2 episodes of Spartacus are godawful, things begin to improve in the next few and there'll be a random point where you realise how fuck awesome it has become.

Salazar

The Storyteller said:
Awesome. You've probably been told like 12 times before but just in case: the first 2 episodes of Spartacus are godawful, things begin to improve in the next few and there'll be a random point where you realise how fuck awesome it has become.

Yeah, I'm prepared to push through some dud episodes.

FNL: Saracen is starting to warm it up with the girl looking after his gran. Not a moment too soon.

StuBurns said:
Firefly Update

I just finished War Stories, episode ten, it's the first one I didn't enjoy. Really over the top, poorly written, terribly directed, bad all round.

I think Kaylee and River are going to hook up. There's a strange undercurrent of sexual liberation about this show, it's kind of both hot and creepy.

I hope the remainder of the show is a little more human drama and less absurd hostage shit, there's not much left.

War Stories is one of the sillier episodes.

Believe it or not though, one scene in that episode is actually recalled in the film, and is somewhat important.

The very next episode you will watch is a good old heist but I have a feeling you're gonna love it...:D

The last three episodes of the show are some of it's best, imo. Although "Heart of Gold" can be a bit silly in some spots, the character development in that episode is important. The last episode of the show seems to be picked as a favorite by lots of people, from what I've seen online at least. Which is sort of odd because it's soooo different, but you'll see why so many like it once you watch.

StuBurns

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
War Stories is one of the sillier episodes.

Believe it or not though, one scene in that episode is actually recalled in the film, and is somewhat important.

The very next episode you will watch is a good old heist but I have a feeling you're gonna love it...:D

The last three episodes of the show are the most psychological/philosophical, I believe. The last episode of the show seems to be picked as a favorite by lots of people, from what I've seen online at least. Which is sort of odd because it's soooo different, but you'll see why so many like it once you watch.
Cool, I'll probably watch another one tonight. I'll save my next update till I've finished the show though.

Sepinwall with a heads up on Breaking Bad reruns:
DVR Alert: AMC to rerun 'Breaking Bad' seasons 1-3 on Wednesdays late night

The new season of "Breaking Bad" won't debut until sometime next summer, but if you're feeling a jones for Mr. White and Jesse Pinkman - or if you somehow missed out on one of the best dramas on TV and have been looking for a way to catch up that doesn't involve DVDs (especially since the season 3 set doesn't even have a release date yet) - then AMC has a DVR-friendly option for you.

Starting next Wednesday/Thursday at 12:30 a.m., the channel is going to rerun two episodes of the show back-to-back every week into March. There's not a specific timeslot, because they'll be airing after that Wednesday's latenight movie (next week is 12:30, the week after 1:30), but you'll be getting all three seasons of the show in a manageable period of time.

CiSTM

Banned
Mad Men s3&4 didn't arrive yet so I started to watch Babylon 5 again. I started straight from mid season 2 right where the Narn Centauri
war
begins. Show is still solid and every time I start watching it I rember why it's my favorite scifi show. B5 if anything needs a reboot. Well maybe not another show about B5 itself but the universe of the show is so great that you could make hundred of spin-off shows from it.

Salazar

Drewsky said:
I just don't like Julie in general, not just that season.

Yeah. Saracen is far, far too good for her.

Landry starting the cafeteria fight was badass :lol

"Sorry about the tornado blowing away your double-wide".

Salazar

Also, the dreadlocked blonde who likes Landry (S2) is GODDAMN.

Man's had a good season. He gets to
kill a dickhead, get with Tyra, smash a dude in an important game, and then he gets another cute girl crazy for him
. Did the writers just decide he was going to have a fucking blessed year ? :lol

Jay Sosa

I'm just watching the Seinfeld episode where Costanza pees in the shower in the gym, and Kramer falls asleep in the tanning bed, so great especially considering what happened years later. :lol

My friend and I sat through the two seasons of the Survivors remake from a year or two ago.

It was... okay. I was a fan of the hottie bisexual doctor. ;)

What did UK GAF think of it?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
big ander said:
I just completed the entire series of The Shield.

Wow.

I don't even know where to begin. The final chapter of this show is unbelievably spectacular.
It so masterfully takes every single character to a close. The Strike Team all ends so tragically. Everyone around them was hurt so badly, and we see how heavy that weighs on each member...but that didn't warrant them immunity. Ronnie was probably the most innocent, but he was still a guilty man. Shane's murder suicide was poetically tragic. Claudette's looming death coupled with Dutch's undying friendship was so awesome. The New Paradigm guy being shot to show that the streets never change was so appropriate.
And most importantly, Vic. Just......there are no words for the level of perfection that Chiklis and the team of The Shield played at with Vic's ending. I don't even want to try and describe how it made me feel for fear of selling it short.
The Shield is a masterstroke of television. The acting, camera work, and writing are all so good. The banter of the Strike Team and the criminals and the politicians and the unis makes this Farmington environment and establishes these characters for who they are. The camera work is great because it's the kind of docu-drama style that doesn't pretend to be a documentary. That's when I like this style best, actually. And the acting from the smallest roles up to Goggins, Snell, Karnes, Pounder, Johnson, Jace, Martinez, and Ryan.

I cannot praise this show enough. I don't even care how much it's limited my social time over the past 24 days. It was completely worth it. This show is the sort of art work that I watch TV for.

One more convert, Shield-GAF's ranks continue to grow.

StuBurns

Banned
Final Firefly update.

Episode 11 - Trash

Awesome episode, nothing too deep, but a lot of fun, and I'm a sucker for the (admittedly cheap) use of in medias res to really get my attention and hold it, this was one of the stranger examples of this I've seen. It was great to see Saffron come back to be ultimately the one who is played this time, and she's certainly a sight to behold.

Great.

Episode 12 - The Message

Weak, after War Stories this is the weakest of the series to me. I was pissed at the doctor being a dick to the engineer too, can't believe he fucked that up again, it's a little bit Ross & Rachel/Mulder & Scully which I've never cared for in TV. Although it's a comedy, I still think Seinfeld probably did the most realistic depiction of a friendship between people who are attracted to each other.

Okay.

Episode 13 - Heart of Gold

Wonderful episode, the most 'cowboy' of them all, I liked the idea behind it, to play off Mal's issues with the companion trade, in how that relates to his relationship with Inara. The sex scene (despite the music) was really nice, it wasn't cheap or for titillation, it was portrayed really honestly, I was impressed, and reminded of when Buffy and Angel final slept together. I was a fan of Buffy for many years when I was younger, but I stopped watching it before it ended or Angel started, so I kind of lost track, but there was some good dramatic work in that show from what I remember. My only problem with it was the out of key Saving Grace, horrible.

Excellent.

Episode 14 - Objects in Space

As the final episode, it was a little disappointing actually. It started off feeling like a final episode, the only real mystery of the show is what has been done to River and what can she do because of it, the rest is personal relationship drama. I thought this episode was going to address her status. Had it been what it appeared, I'd have hated it though. I did very much enjoy the episode, it was the best in terms of production too, the writing was great, the pacing was nice and slow, the blocking/framing was consistently nice. River is really hot too.

Very good.

So that's it, the show is over, I have only to see the film now, which I'm very much looking forward to.

My next TV show is either Dollhouse or Weeds, I'm sure I'll be posting my impressions of whichever I pick.

big ander

CajoleJuice said:
I take credit for this one.

Glad to see you enjoyed it so much, BIG ANDER. Of course, I knew you would.
Yep, it's all thanks to you. You lived up to your name and persuaded me to watch by giving me an offer I couldn't refuse. :D

biosnake20 said:
veronica mars, why oh why was it cancelled

Up to season 3 episode 2 right now, but Blu-rays, and starting Venture Bros. has slowed my VM progress down significantly. I need to get back to it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Drewsky said:
I just don't like Julie in general, not just that season.
I'm generally tired of her character nowadays, rather then have a outright dislike for her in S4-5. She was a good character in S1-3. I didn't even mind her downhill spiral in season 2 that much because of her redemption in S3.

outsidah

True Blood S1-3. I had heard tons about it but it struck me as another vampire cash in. Specifically after they releases that true blood energy drink or whatever it was.

I started watching it and couldn't stop. Absolutely hooks you in and doesn't let go. Can't wait for the next season

Salazar

Spartacus gets better at fighting, right :lol

Episode 2.

1 was bad. Y'all warned me. 2 is better. I have faith that it will kick into awesome gear soon.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Marathon that shit man, soooooooooooooooooooo good. Yeah he gets better.

Tim and Eric, Awesome Show, Great Job Season 1.............. errrrrr ummmmmm wtf, will keep watching :lol

Salazar said:
Spartacus gets better at fighting, right :lol

Episode 2.

1 was bad. Y'all warned me. 2 is better. I have faith that it will kick into awesome gear soon.

Push through. If you're not feeling the badassery by Episode 4 and on, you have to be broken or something. To say that they found their groove would be an understatement.

Salazar

Net_Wrecker said:
Push through. If you're not feeling the badassery by Episode 4 and on, you have to be broken or something. To say that they found their groove would be an understatement.

It's already badass.

"Don't die too quickly"
"Me ? I will fuck your corpse"
"With what cock ?"
:lol

Net_Wrecker said:
What this man said! :D

Show gets way better. The acting stays the same, so of you're not digging that it could be a problem.
The over all show improves.

AnkitT

On episode 11 of Terriers. What a brilliant series so far, loved how they portrayed the backstory. The camera work is top notch as well. Goddamn do they know how to work the drama angle of the stories!

Just about to finish Carnivale season one. Sometimes the plot turns a little too "mini-series"-like by offering more questions than answers, or making characters change to fit a new dynamic, but it's still good. Love the mystery. Love the characters. Could do with less of two things: bearded woman kissing and silent mother anger. Besides that that though, can't get enough of Brother Justin!

Flare

OK, I need something different to watch GAF. Something fresh and different.

Right now I'm watching Fringe (which is kicking all sorts of ass), just finished The Walking Dead (meh), and for some reason or another The Big Bang Theory (I honestly don't know why I'm watching it - It's really the same thing over and over and it's getting stale).

I've already watched Lost and Seinfeld, and loved them.

I was thinking of watching Firefly as I've heard good things about it. Any other suggestions?

solblade00 said:
OK, I need something different to watch GAF. Something fresh and different.

Right now I'm watching Fringe (which is kicking all sorts of ass), just finished The Walking Dead (meh), and for some reason or another The Big Bang Theory (I honestly don't know why I'm watching it - It's really the same thing over and over and it's getting stale).

I've already watched Lost and Seinfeld, and loved them.

I was thinking of watching Firefly as I've heard good things about it. Any other suggestions?

Firefly is great, as are

Arrested Development
Deadwood
Rome
The Wire
The Shield
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Boardwalk Empire
Spartacus
Battlestar Galactica (2003)
Veronica Mars
Chuck
Supernatural
Castle

Whole bunch of good series' out there. What else HAVE you seen?

Flare

Net_Wrecker said:
Firefly is great, as are

Arrested Development
Deadwood
Rome
The Wire
The Shield
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Boardwalk Empire
Spartacus
Battlestar Galactica (2003)
Veronica Mars
Chuck
Supernatural
Castle

Whole bunch of good series' out there. What else HAVE you seen?

Nothing much, I don't usually watch much TV and just watch what I stumble upon. I'm watching Mentalist, watched V, and regrettably watched Flashforward. I also gave up on The Office after a season and a half - I think I want to stay away from Comedies for a while.

And that's pretty much all - not much I know =\

Salazar said:
Black Books.

Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey. You will laugh like hell. First season is amazing.

I'll look into that, but like I said I don't think I want to watch another Sit-com.

Thank you both for the list of suggestions... I'll try looking more into them and see which I should try out first in addition to Firefly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom