• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
solblade00 said:
Nothing much, I don't usually watch much TV and just watch what I stumble upon. I'm watching Mentalist, watched V, and regrettably watched Flashforward. I also gave up on The Office after a season and a half - I think I want to stay away from Comedies for a while.

And that's pretty much all - not much I know =\

I know you said you want to stay away from comedies, but really, check out Arrested Development. The writing is brilliant.

Other than that, read up on some of the stuff I listed, and see what interests you. All of them are good with the first 7 in particular being the high points of television so far IMO.

Jay Sosa

solblade00 said:
Nothing much, I don't usually watch much TV and just watch what I stumble upon. I'm watching Mentalist, watched V, and regrettably watched Flashforward. I also gave up on The Office after a season and a half - I think I want to stay away from Comedies for a while.

And that's pretty much all - not much I know =\

Wow I envy you..Imho Tv has surpassed movies. There is so much quality TV tat I have a hard time keeping up.

Must watch series (all dramas):

Dexter
The Wire
Buffy/Angel :D
Generation Kill

Great series:

Veronica Mars
Breaking Bad
Death Note (Anime)
Sopranos
LOST

Great comedy shows (not some sitcom bs):

Arrested Development
Curb your..
Trailer Park Boys
Eastbound & Down
Father Ted
Chuck (the show actually is pretty cheesy, has a lot of relationship drama and bad CGI but I love it regardless)
Seinfeld
ASIP (has a lot of ups and downs though)
IT Crowd (4th season was trash imho)

Shows that I don't like for several reasons or have not watched but still are worth checking out:

Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
The Shield
Supernatural
Sons of Anarchy
Terriers
Brotherhood

That should be enough for a few weeks

FX canceled Terriers. :(

In other news, Emily Nussbaum at NY Magazine posted her Top 10 list for 2010:
1. Community NBC
2. Mad Men AMC
3. Terriers FX
4. 30 Rock NBC
5. In Treatment HBO
6. Louie FX
7. The Good Wife CBS
8. United States of Tara Showtime
9. Boardwalk Empire HBO
10. Treme HBO

Salazar

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
And it only gets better and better, that's what so crazy about it.

Spartacus & Crixus versus Theocles.

Holy fucking shit.
Crixus trying to push his guts back in

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just watched "three little pups," a droopy cartoon by tex avery, for the fiftieth time and had a ton of thoughts.

watch it here

23kqfx3.jpg

i watched this the first time and found it funny, but the more i watch it, the funnier it gets. a few thoughts about it that i think are particularly striking:

[1] i really enjoy the opening. i've noted in the past that i think storybook style openings and turning pages are very strong and endearing; i almost feel that they create a very smooth transition into the art of storytelling, slowly introducing you to the situation and characters. in addition--and this may just be me projecting--the idea that something is recorded in a book (despite so many crappy books being produced) still bears some weight and lends the story a degree of importance. you feel like you're going into something that someone took the time and care to record on paper, and that in itself is useful.

in addition, note the almost imperceptibly muted colors that look as if you're viewing them on paper, the halo of white unreality that surrounds the settings and create a blobulous oval, a portal through which you view the static scenes of the droopy brothers building their houses. it's all very authentic and book-like. the authenticity is punctuated when the incredibly smooth transition into motion is completed, when the third little pup is laying those bricks. you almost don't even think about it or notice, but suddenly we've moved from a static image story with narration to one that moves.

the book comes to life! to a kid, that's super powerful.

the transition out of the book setting is complete when we switch to the wolf, then back to droopy's house; note that the aforementioned halo is now completely gone. it's almost as if the cartoon creates the feeling you get when you start reading a book, the way you slowly dip your toes into the water, ease your way in, but then suddenly you're underwater, touching the bottom of that pool.

[2] pay attention to the flow of the characterization of the wolf. again, this is a cartoon about movement, and nothing stays the way we perceive it. the wolf in your initial meeting with him is intimidating and horrifying. he sneers and he approaches with such caution, intent, and malice. even his car--which i should note is a wonderful character in itself, tip-toeing behind him quickly to catch up, and stretching its nose forward to break so many physical laws and draw closer to that goal--just seems sneaky and MEAN.

but then, at the moment we realize that the wolf's gambit will not be so simple, that he won't just waltz in and snatch the little dogs away, at the moment he tries in vain to penetrate that brick house, he breaks his silence and expresses his shock, and the tone of both his character and the entire cartoon changes. the song he whistles crosses many different tex avery droopy cartoons, and it's so pleasant and catchy, as if whatever he's up to is so standard and fit for a sunny day that to accuse him of wrongdoing or treachery would be an absurdity.

absurdity is sort of the operative word here, and the order of the day. can you seriously watch the sequence in which the wolf tries to use the cat puppet to lure out the dogs and has it turned on him and not laugh your ass off? the logic of it is classic cartoon. a cartoonist's job is to blur the lines between the animate and inanimate, between reality and surreality and unreality.

the truth is that every kid is just waiting for their puppets and toys to snap out of their stillness and chase the nearest mouse, and the whistling wolf with his meowing cat puppet only confirm these suspicions.

[3] lastly, the brilliant integration of real video on the television which the three droopy brothers watch. you can read it as mere irreverence, but i see a lot of significance in it: again, it perpetuates the illusion that the world in which the events we're watching are taking place is OUR WORLD. those are the shows WE can watch. this is further emphasized by the wolf's transition into that reality at the end of the cartoon.

what are the ramifications of this?

it maintains in your head, in a kid's head, that somewhere these cartoon characters make such a transition, and that one day you could be walking down the street and see droopy buying ice cream from a cart or leading a troupe of fleas playing dixieland music on his behind.

it's a perfect cartoon in pretty much every way, and employs so many wonderful techniques and is rife with such creativity that i could write for days and never exhaust my thoughts on it.

I've just started re-watching "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman". This show is FUCKING INSANE. It's like some kind of amazing train wreck. And I'm completely hooked again.

Shit like THIS is what keeps me coming back. :lol

It's a longshot.....but anyone else on here ever watch it?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Raising Hope, Raising Hope, Raising Hope, Raising Hope! SO DAMN GOOD!

Salazar

The jiggling of enormous tits in the arena in Spartacus is so damned good.

There is one extra in particular - fans of the show will probably know who I'm talking about. Mindmelting jugs.

What are people going to watch now that the new content on tv is on break for the holidays? I'm going to finish up Parks & Rec S2 (so good), watch some of Psych S1, and catch up on the latest season of Dexter.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Kevin Butler
wwnt61.jpg
He's hilarious on Sons and Daughters and it pains me that very few people watched that show. Not to mention that it'll never be released on dvd because they couldn't get clearance on all of the music. Great show.

StuBurns

Banned
I just watched the first episode of Weeds, I really enjoyed it, not what I expected either. I look forward to watching more.

TheOddOne

Cornballer said:
What are people going to watch now that the new content on tv is on break for the holidays? I'm going to finish up Parks & Rec S2 (so good), watch some of Psych S1, and catch up on the latest season of Dexter.
Endure the first half of the season, the second half is more the normal ''Psych'' we know today.

I'm gonna catch up on Terriers and Boardwalk Empire.

Solo

Cornballer said:
What are people going to watch now that the new content on tv is on break for the holidays?

Television-wise? Nothing. December/January is my time of year to finish up a bunch of games and movies.

Ceres

Banned
Last season of IT Crowd is hitting Netflix next week.
Plan on rewatching Parks & Rec s1&2 before it finally comes back in January.
Going to also start watching Sherlock s1.

StuBurns

Banned
I've just put on the third Weeds, I thought this show had different singers for the theme tune every week? Not on the DVDs?

Cornballer said:
He's hilarious on Sons and Daughters and it pains me that very few people watched that show. Not to mention that it'll never be released on dvd because they couldn't get clearance on all of the music. Great show.
Supposedly they're going to show this on ITV1 in the UK this month, but I couldn't find listings for it on their website. UK folks might want to check it out. It's a more twisted version of Modern Family with lots more dysfunction.

TheOddOne said:
Endure the first half of the season, the second half is more the normal ''Psych'' we know today.
I enjoyed the pilot, but that's all I've seen so far.

Solo said:
Television-wise? Nothing. December/January is my time of year to finish up a bunch of games and movies.
That, too. Lots of movies to see and I should clear out some of my gaming backlog, as well.

Ganondorfo

I finished sons of anarchy 1-3, the last season was terrible, except for the last episode.

Anyway recommend me a quality tv show...

I have already watched these

Dexter
The shield
Lost
Breaking bad
Monk
Battlestar galactica
Supernatural
Sopranos
Band of brothers

So dont recommend these shows, because I've watched them...

Mifune

Mehmber
Cornballer said:

Gonna try to get caught up on Luther and Tower Prep (for the Darin Morgan-written episodes, obviously). Besides that, I''m not sure.

I just finished up Battlestar Galactica and am now kind of craving more sci-fi. Angel, maybe? Doctor Who? Babylon 5?

I'm sorta annoyed that Netflix doesn't have Human Target on Blu-ray. What's up with that?

StuBurns

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
I finished sons of anarchy 1-3, the last season was terrible, except for the last episode.

Dexter
The shield
Lost
Breaking bad
Monk
Battlestar galactica
Supernatural
Sopranos
Band of brothers

Mad Men is your next show.

TripOpt55

I am watching Chuck Season 1 for the first time now. I picked up S2 as well so I'll be able to jump right into that when I'm done S1.

Also, want to watch the rest of Luther while it's still On Demand. I watched the first two episodes and my friend really wants me to check the rest out. I think that is it at the moment other than stuff that's airing now that I'm up to date on.

Blader

Ganondorfo said:

Dexter
The shield
Lost
Breaking bad
Monk
Battlestar galactica
Supernatural
Sopranos
Band of brothers

Mad Men
Rome
The Wire

Cornballer said:
I just watched the first two episodes last night and I really enjoyed them. I can see myself tearing through the series insanely quick.

I also watched the first episodes of The Pacific and I'm not sure why people said it was boring? Or am I misremembering the initial reaction?

CajoleJuice said:
I also watched the first episodes of The Pacific and I'm not sure why people said it was boring? Or am I misremembering the initial reaction?
GAF's attention span has been dwindling the last few years. ;) I think a lot of the complaints resulted from the main players not interacting initially and some of the narratives not being serviced on a weekly basis. It's a little scattered when compared to the cohesive approach of BoB since that was a single unit. This is probably less noticeable when you're marathoning it, too.

BeeDog

Cornballer said:
GAF's attention span has been dwindling the last few years. ;) I think a lot of the complaints resulted from the main players not interacting initially and some of the narratives not being serviced on a weekly basis. It's a little scattered when compared to the cohesive approach of BoB since that was a single unit. This is probably less noticeable when you're marathoning it, too.

The first time I watched The Pacific, I was a bit disappointed for some reason that I can't explain. Could be because of the disjointed structure (compared to BoB). But after purchasing the box set and marathoning through it, my opinion of The Pacific turned around completely. It's an awesome mini-series, that's for sure.

besiktas1

Well I'm half way through season 2 of Seinfield and oh boy, I know lots of you love that show but as I said I tried before and I can say the show is not for me. Its mot bad, just not for me. I'll finish season 2 then I'll be done with it.

I think my next "proper" series to watch next os walking dead. Mini series will be a cartoon of some kind.

also ganondorfo watch Deadwood next or Rome, you can't go wrong with either.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm a few into season 3 now, but I'm pretty sure that season 2 of The Wire is the greatest season of television that I've ever seen. What an epic crime saga, seriously, I don't even kno where to begin...

besiktas1 said:
Well I'm half way through season 2 of Seinfield and oh boy, I know lots of you love that show but as I said I tried before and I can say the show is not for me. Its mot bad, just not for me. I'll finish season 2 then I'll be done with it.

I think my next "proper" series to watch next os walking dead. Mini series will be a cartoon of some kind.

also ganondorfo watch Deadwood next or Rome, you can't go wrong with either.
Seasons 3 and 4 are where the show really becomes what it is, but I've resigned to the fact that many people who didn't watch it at the time aren't going to enjoy it.

Solo

It occurs to me that if Seinfeld were to air now it would tackle some hilarious scraps of nothing like message board etiquette.

I WAS TROLLED, JERRY! TROLLED!

TheOddOne

Snuggler said:
I'm a few into season 3 now, but I'm pretty sure that season 2 of The Wire is the greatest season of television that I've ever seen. What an epic crime saga, seriously, I don't even kno where to begin...
You think that now, but make sure your body is ready.

Solo said:
It occurs to me that if Seinfeld were to air now it would tackle some hilarious scraps of nothing like message board etiquette.

You're going to spend $10 to create an alt account just to zing a guy???

Thing with Seinfeld is you don't need to watch it in order. Just turn on TBS as there's always an episode playing and go at it. You get a good variety that way.

Blader

VGChampion said:
Thing with Seinfeld is you don't need to watch it in order. Just turn on TBS as there's always an episode playing and go at it. You get a good variety that way.

Seriously. Unless you were in it for the extras, I don't know why anyone would even buy the dvds.

Tucah

you speak so well
I just finished season 2 of The Venture Bros. I liked season 1 enough, but season 2 was so much better, really loved the show by the end of the season. Now on to S3, can't wait.

Burli

Pringo
In terms of good shows - what's coming up soon that's worth watching?

Dexter ends soon, Walking Dead has ended, Sons of Anarchy ended, I think House ends soon but I'm losing interest in that anyway, no Mad Men, Community's nearing the end of it's season (season 3 confirmed yet?).

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is there's a gap coming up, what's going to fill it?

Solo said:

like in last season of curb with the "itoilet" :lol

Blader

Burli said:

Dexter ends soon, Walking Dead has ended, Sons of Anarchy ended, I think House ends soon but I'm losing interest in that anyway, no Mad Men, Community's nearing the end of it's season (season 3 confirmed yet?).

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is there's a gap coming up, what's going to fill it?

What? Community' season finale is in May.

Fifth and final season of Friday Night Lights is currently airing. If you haven't watched it yet, start from the beginning, that's a good one to occupy your time with.

Burli said:

Archer
Lights Out (if it's good)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Burli said:

For me, there isn't much but Parks and Recreation season 3 which is supposed to air on January 20th. I wasn't big on the show until recently when it hit Netflix. Decided on a whim to watch an episode, and a week later, I had watched all of them. So good.

Blader

icarus-daedelus said:
I think half the problem with watching Seinfeld now is that laugh-track sitcoms just don't work for many people anymore, myself included. There are a few rare exceptions, but the canned laughter thing completely takes me out of it compared to the more naturalistic style of modern single-camera comedies.

Laugh track? It was in front of an audience.

Cornballer said:
Justified, Parks & Rec, Lights Out (maybe), Game of Thrones, Californication...

also the killing looks like it might be interesting

thats not until march though

Blader5489 said:
Laugh track? It was in front of an audience.

its the same difference to the viewer at home isnt it?

i can understand his point. these days i find it harder and harder to watch seinfeld.. curb is pretty much the same humor but with modern direction.l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom