• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
CajoleJuice said:
:lol The Walking Dead getting a WRITERS' guild award nom.

Haha yeah. To be fair it was for best new series. Nothing like best drama or writing or anything.

Also one show that is so criminally underappreciated not only on Gaf but everywhere is Brotherhood. It was 3 seasons and easily stands as one of the best dramas of the last decade. It felt like half The Wire and half Sopranos (only with Irish people).

Jason Isaacs wrecked shit.

anaron

CajoleJuice said:
:lol The Walking Dead getting a WRITERS' guild award nom.
Dear god.

To sway discussion onto a show of actual quality, I watched the Breaking Bad pilot. Really enjoyed it. Direction and cinematography were top-notch and Cranston's acting was phenomenal. I can't wait to see how his relationship with Jessie develops.

CiSTM

Banned
Rewatched AD S3 with my friend and like the last time it sucked. There were some funny jokes here and there and I especially liked the ones that concerned state of the show.

Michael: So, what's going on with the fundraiser?
George Sr.: Well, I don't think the Home Builders Organization is gonna be supporting us.
Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it's "Show Time." I think we have to have a show during dinner.

Forget-Me-Now pills also had me laughing ever now and then. Especially the part when Gob and Steve Holt had real father/son talk for the very first time :lol

Steve Holt: I'll never forget this dad.
Gob: I will. (takes forget-me-now) I will.

But even the good jokes can't save the terrible plots. At least I can tresure the two first seasons <3 Among best of tv.

big ander

CiSTM said:
Rewatched AD S3 with my friend and like the last time it sucked. There were some funny jokes here and there and I especially liked the ones that concerned state of the show.

Michael: So, what's going on with the fundraiser?
George Sr.: Well, I don't think the Home Builders Organization is gonna be supporting us.
Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it's "Show Time." I think we have to have a show during dinner.

Forget-Me-Now pills also had me laughing ever now and then. Especially the part when Gob and Steve Holt had real father/son talk for the very first time :lol

Steve Holt: I'll never forget this dad.
Gob: I will. (takes forget-me-now) I will.

But even the good jokes can't save the terrible plots. At least I can tresure the two first seasons <3 Among best of tv.
I still don't get it. MR F went on for about 3 episodes too long, but the jokes were still fantastic. And the rest of the season was amazing, just as good as seasons 1+2.
Sure, MR F is just a strange plot overall but it never made me think of the last season as sucking. It just wasn't as good as the almighty goodness of 1+2.

big ander said:
I still don't get it. MR F went on for about 3 episodes too long, but the jokes were still fantastic. And the rest of the season was amazing, just as good as seasons 1+2.
Sure, MR F is just a strange plot overall but it never made me think of the last season as sucking. It just wasn't as good as the almighty goodness of 1+2.
Exactly.

CiSTM

Banned
big ander said:

It's not just MR F. It was the worst offender (almost half of the season was used on this shit >:|) but the other episodes were just as bad. Fundraiser episodes, mock court the secret sister thing and etc. were all bad episodes. Nothing against the jokes but the overall plots were just revolting and usually the side plots were equally revolting. They kinda reminded me of new Simpsons :lol or some thing, i don't know, it felt like the 3rd season lacked the cohesive structure of the 1st&2nd seasons.

beezlebozo said:
i have to say, i've seen three episodes of walking dead, and i am grossly unimpressed.
You're not alone.

CiSTM said:
It's not just MR F. It was the worst offender (almost half of the season was used on this shit >:|) but the other episodes were just as bad. Fundraiser episodes, mock court the secret sister thing and etc. were all bad episodes. Nothing against the jokes but the overall plots were just revolting and usually the side plots were equally revolting. They kinda reminded me of new Simpsons :lol or some thing, i don't know, it felt like the 3rd season lacked the cohesive structure of the 1st&2nd seasons.
I too thought season 3 was a step down, at least to begin with. I especially hated the Tobias' hair plugs subplot. Thankfully, the back half had some strong episodes, which redeemed it for me.

Mifune

Mehmber
Discotheque said:
Haha yeah. To be fair it was for best new series. Nothing like best drama or writing or anything.

Also one show that is so criminally underappreciated not only on Gaf but everywhere is Brotherhood. It was 3 seasons and easily stands as one of the best dramas of the last decade. It felt like half The Wire and half Sopranos (only with Irish people).

Jason Isaacs wrecked shit.

Brotherhood rocks. I'm sure my friends are sick of hearing me talk about it, so maybe they'll break down and watch it.

And yeah, Jason Isaacs is amazing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
anaron said:
Dear god.

To sway discussion onto a show of actual quality, I watched the Breaking Bad pilot. Really enjoyed it. Direction and cinematography were top-notch and Cranston's acting was phenomenal. I can't wait to see how his relationship with Jessie develops.

You'll never look back, every season has been goddamn amazing.

big ander

CiSTM said:
See, I enjoy all of these plots, and I even enjoyed the hair plugs. Not as much as amazing plots like Girls With Low Self Esteem or Maggie or
Buster Loses a Hand
from season 2, but I didn't feel like the drop was as huge as others do. Maybe I just don't see the drop because my first viewing and every subsequent viewing has been on DVD. So I can go from awesome episodes near the end of season 2, cruise over the less-than-spectacular parts of season 3, and get to the amazing finale in the course of a week.

Almost done with Dollhouse Season 1. Just watched the
mole
episode and really enjoyed it.

And decided to go in another direction and picked up X-Men TAS at Best Buy today. Only seen three episodes but I really like it. Never read any X-Men before but I may now. Wolverine was about the extent of my knowledge in those stories.

Munin

So based on comments on the previous page...if I was impressed by the pilot episode of Walking Dead and thought the second one was fucking atrocious, should I still bother to watch the rest?

gdt

Munin said:
So based on comments on the previous page...if I was impressed by the pilot episode of Walking Dead and thought the second one was fucking atrocious, should I still bother to watch the rest?

Hmm, sure. Ep3 and 5 are more in line with the pilot in terms of tone. The series has some writing issues to figure out, but I think it's overall good so far.

Ep2 is by far my least favorite from S1.

big ander

Munin said:
The short first season is definitely up and down, but that tends to happen with first seasons. I'm hoping that, with the 6-episode trial done, the show can find awesome places to go for season 2. So I'd recommend sticking with it.

oatmeal

Banned
My wife and I started Better Off Ted on Netflix Streaming...through episode 4 we really like it!

Very funny show. The two scientists are awesome...and the blonde is hooot

been watching Series 2 of Doctor Who

will_thorp_toby_zed_203_203x152.jpg

now i know where that guys avatar is from

also about 2/3's through west wing season 1.. i'm warming up to a lot more now

shes too cute

its been amusing to see a bunch of different actors from different shows

ive seen paris from gilmore girls, richie aprile from sopranos, and adama from battlestar galactica :lol

Watched the first 4 episodes of Misfits. This is the most surprising show i've watched in a while. So much unexpected brilliance in everything from the production values, the characters and the dialogue. Nathan is consistently hysterical.

Rake, an ABC1 series midway through its eight-part first season, wherein Cleaver Greene is a brilliant but self-destructive barrister often found defending a guilty client.

pic6_thumb.jpg

AusGAF, are you watching this? It's pretty much Californication-lite with the legalese benediction of Sydney chambers, brothels, bookies, bedrooms, politicking and courtrooms. Good fun with a discerning streak of serious and thought-provoking material beyond simply the case of the week. Moreover, while the cast is stellar, the guests have been nebular, with the likes of Sam Neill, Hugo Weaving and a very topless (shock, gasp) Lisa McCune - "our" former girl-next-door - making an appearance. Almost makes the wait for S4 of Californication ('sup January) somewhat bearable.

StuBurns

Banned
Weeds is pretty strange mid-season four. Her youngest son just beat off to nude pictures of her. She's a very attractive woman no question, but it's more than a little creepy.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
A little confused on the Battlestar continuity. There's the main series, a movie (Razor?) and a mini-series?

Exactly what order am I supposed to watch these in? Wikipedia didn't really make it 100% clear, and I think I was starting to run into spoilery content.

Blader

Catalix said:
A little confused on the Battlestar continuity. There's the main series, a movie (Razor?) and a mini-series?

Exactly what order am I supposed to watch these in? Wikipedia didn't really make it 100% clear, and I think I was starting to run into spoilery content.

Mini-series goes first, then the main series.

Catalix said:

Mini Series, main series 1-3, Razor (side story. Not necessary, but works better if you see all the way through season 3), season 4. The plan is just a side story, but works fine after the whole series. Basically the order in which they aired or were released.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Thanks for the help, guys. :D Guess I'm finally starting this bitch. Been putting it off way too long.

JaCy

Just finished the last season of Monk, I enjoyed it a lot. Although I felt a lot of the stuff near the end was rushed.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Tim the Wiz said:
Rake, an ABC1 series midway through its eight-part first season, wherein Cleaver Greene is a brilliant but self-destructive barrister often found defending a guilty client.

pic6_thumb.jpg

AusGAF, are you watching this? It's pretty much Californication-lite with the legalese benediction of Sydney chambers, brothels, bookies, bedrooms, politicking and courtrooms. Good fun with a discerning streak of serious and thought-provoking material beyond simply the case of the week. Moreover, while the cast is stellar, the guests have been nebular, with the likes of Sam Neill, Hugo Weaving and a very topless (shock, gasp) Lisa McCune - "our" former girl-next-door - making an appearance. Almost makes the wait for S4 of Californication ('sup January) somewhat bearable.

I've been meaning to, might get it on DVD when it comes out.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Recently got into and finished all of Bored to Death. I didn't even know this show existed until two weeks ago. Now it's one of my favorite shows from the last decade. George is my favorite tv character stoner ever. :lol

JCX

I recently watched season 2 of Parks and Rec on netflix. Such a huge improvement over the mediocre first season.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
well, i tried FREAKS AND GEEKS again and i just don't get.

i've got a complete series dvd i'd love to trade for something else, if someone has a tv/movie set of comparable value that they're not interested in anymore, or are just done with.

I watched the Lost pilot today (watched the first part yesterday). So far, not very impressed but I'll stick with it for a little longer, see what happens. The pregnant girl is really cute though.

Solo

If the pilot didn't get you, then just stop now. You won't like the show. Pure crazy talk though - the pilot, regardless of where the series went from there, is one of the best pilots ever.

StuBurns

Banned
close to the edge said:
I watched the Lost pilot today (watched the first part yesterday). So far, not very impressed but I'll stick with it for a little longer, see what happens. The pregnant girl is really cute though.
Just watch Brick instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom