• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Cornballer said:
- AMC picked up "Hell on Wheels" for series.More via press release and Poniewozik via the link.

von6dj.jpg

Deadwood 2.0? Sign me the fuck up.

~Kinggi~

Banned
About to finish up Season 1 of Breaking Bad. Damn brilliant show. Bryan Cranston is one of the best actors to ever appear on TV.

Just saw episode 6, one of the most badass episodes ive ever seen.

big ander

~Kinggi~ said:
About to finish up Season 1 of Breaking Bad. Damn brilliant show. Bryan Cranston is one of the best actors to ever appear on TV.

Just saw episode 6, one of the most badass episodes ive ever seen.
For some reason some like to say that the season has an incredible drop in quality at some point. I 100% disagree. I've now seen a lot of the episodes more than once, and I feel like it's all evenly fantastic.
Cornballer said:
- AMC picked up "Hell on Wheels" for series.
More via press release and Poniewozik via the link.
Of course I'm in :D

Mileena

Banned
Started watching Angel, having never seen Buffy outside of the pilot. I'm on season 5 and it's only ok, does it get better?

besiktas1 said:
Hmm so I've quit Seinfeld 3 episodes in to season 3 (sorry) but we've already talked about that in this thread :)

I'm enjoying Raising Hope, and it's convient to watch it off Skyplayer on my xbox (bring Netflix to UK damn it).

Now I've finished season 2 of Fringe. I'm on to my next "proper" series. It's going to be Boardwalk Empire or Mad Men. Heard about both being really good but have no idea what they're about :lol

Maybe Walking Dead.... I don't know. Maybe Carnavale :lol
Watch Fringe season 3, it's amazing.

corkscrewblow said:
Started watching Angel, having never seen Buffy outside of the pilot. I'm on season 5 and it's only ok, does it get better?

First season is incredibly rough and relies a bit too much on having watched and liked Buffy up to that point (the end of season 3 and season 4) but after that it continues to improve to the point where it's better than Buffy ever was. Season 5 is amazing and the show has a fantastic ending.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I finished season 3 of The Wire last night. Incredible, of course. I hate to come off like I'm jumping on the bandwagon, but this is probably the most quality TV show I've seen, maybe just short of The Sopranos but both are excellent in their own ways. Overall, I think I prefer season 2 by just a touch. I just loved the Docks storyline, with Ziggy and the Sobotka's, the international gansters and such, it was such a great crime saga.

This was another amazing season, though, and it once again ended with a bang.
Omar and Classy Brother bringing Stringer down. That was an intense and satisfying scene. After everything he did, especially the murder of DeAngelo, I was ready to see that fucker go down but I still somehow felt for him. McNulty's reaction echoed mine.
With Avon Barksdale going back to prison, that whole crew must be out of business now. I'm anticipating that Marlo and his crew will play a part in season 4, as well as the dudes running for mayor.

Oh yeah, and the quick shot of Rawls at the club was pretty funny stuff.

Can't wait for season 4.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mifune said:
Reading the comments of someone discovering The Wire for the first time warms my heart.

Please keep them coming.

Heh, by the time I finish the series I'm gonna need a whole new thread to share my thoughts. I won't even know where to begin, I should have been taking notes the whole time...

Snuggler said:
Can't wait for season 4.

Season 4 is incredible. I think its probably my favorite. I feel jealous of someone watching The Wire from the beginning to end anew. Actually just thinking about the show makes me want to see it all over again.

I liked the docks storyline too. I thought Ziggy was a pretty interesting character although it probably because I just wanted to punch him in the face during so many scenes.

Drewsky

Just got to "The Gypsy and the Hobo" in S3 of Mad Men. It was amazing. Seeing Don disarmed and defeated like that was awesome. Can't wait to finish off the season.

Just finished Season 1 of Dollhouse. I didn't realize Epitaph One wasn't part of the series until I went back to the old GAF thread and realized it ended on the other storyline. That I was disappointed with but this episode I was amazed by. Definitely goes down as one of my favorite season finales though.

Hope Season 2 is as good as this episode was. Not sure when I'll get around to watching it as the Blu-Ray still seems kind of expensive.

gdt

VGChampion said:
Just finished Season 1 of Dollhouse. I didn't realize Epitaph One wasn't part of the series until I went back to the old GAF thread and realized it ended on the other storyline. That I was disappointed with but this episode I was amazed by. Definitely goes down as one of my favorite season finales though.

Hope Season 2 is as good as this episode was. Not sure when I'll get around to watching it as the Blu-Ray still seems kind of expensive.

S2 just got added on Netflix Instant :D . I too have to watch it (in HD, no less), overall, I enjoyed S1.

VGChampion said:

While it wasn't actually aired (in America at least) as part of the show, Epitaph One is very much a part of the show as you'll see.

Season 2 is a huge step up from Season 1, it just gets better and better until it finishes.

big ander

gdt5016 said:
S2 just got added on Netflix Instant :D . I too have to watch it (in HD, no less), overall, I enjoyed S1.
It did?! Finally. I forgot to watch S2 as it aired, and I've been wanting to finish the show.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Finished the BGS miniseries. The first 30 minutes or so was kinda slow and dense. Tons of characters and history being thrown at you in quick succession. At first, I was worried that it'd probably take at least a few episodes into the series before the characters and world would start to endear themselves to me. Wasn't sure if I was ready to digest that much front-loaded exposition.

Fortunately, the various personalities and relationship dynamics began to gel almost immediately when shit hit the fan.
Caprica gets nuked. Star ships are picked off one by one. Everyone is trying their best to rally and make the most of an impossibly shitty situation. Going into the series, I honestly had no idea what the actual main plot would be about. Didn't know circumstances would be so dire for these people. Turns out, the possible extinction of the human race makes for an extremely powerful story hook :lol.

Not to mention the "secret cylons." Holy shit, Grace Park. I remember hearing a lot about undercover cylons during the latter part of the show's run. It really is an intriguing prospect, so it was cool to see that the concept was an integral part of the storyline from the beginning. Just wondering if they'll be able to keep that thread going without making it tedious.
So yeah, I'm officially on board.

Can't say the same for Fringe so far, though. About 5 or 6 episodes into season 1 and I still don't give a fuck about any of these people. It's almost a chore to keep going.

big ander

Catalix said:
Can't say the same for Fringe so far, though. About 5 or 6 episodes into season 1 and I still don't give a fuck about any of these people. It's almost a chore to keep going.
I see where you're coming from. But stick with it. Episode 7 is a big episode, and episode 10 after that is even better. Then episode 12 is ehhh, but the rest after that are pretty great. If you don't care about Walter/Peter at least by seasons end, you might as well give up.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
big ander said:
I see where you're coming from. But stick with it. Episode 7 is a big episode, and episode 10 after that is even better. Then episode 12 is ehhh, but the rest after that are pretty great. If you don't care about Walter/Peter at least by seasons end, you might as well give up.
That's pretty much the disclaimer I always get: both seasons 1 and 2 start weak, are hit-and-miss in the middle, but improve dramatically in the back end. I really want to like this show, so I'll continue to wade through the mediocrity... later. More BGS first! :p

big ander

Catalix said:
That's pretty much the disclaimer I always get: both seasons 1 and 2 start weak, are hit-and-miss in the middle, but improve dramatically in the back end. I really want to like this show, so I'll continue to wade through the mediocrity... later. More BGS first! :p
I'd say that's how season 1 is, but season 2 is pretty damn good throughout.

Solo

Catalix said:

Oh man, you are going to be made so wrong.

:D

Tucah

you speak so well
Now that finals are over, I think I'm finally going to watch the Wire after delaying starting the series for years.

Catalix said:

Stick with it!

I stopped watching about mid way through Season 1 but my girlfriend insisted I start watching again and showed me the rest of Season 1 and all of Season 2.

It improves a great deal, Season 2 especially was great and I'm just now catching up with Season 3 which is even better. It really finds it's footing as time goes on so if you've enjoyed it at all I'd keep going till part way through Season 2 at least.

Robin

Finished both season 1 of Veronica Mars and all of Undeclared.

Veronica Mars had an almost perfect season. Loved the pacing and it had a great conclusion. I'm a bit apprehensive of going any further into the series as I've read that the quality dips quite a bit. I don't want to tarnish my good feelings about the show.

Undeclared was just a fun little show. Loved all the cameos from Freaks and Geeks actors, especially Haverchuck :lol

Catalix

Solo said:
Oh man, you are going to be made so wrong.

:D
I'll hold you to that! :p

randomlyrossy said:
Stick with it!

I stopped watching about mid way through Season 1 but my girlfriend insisted I start watching again and showed me the rest of Season 1 and all of Season 2.

It improves a great deal, Season 2 especially was great and I'm just now catching up with Season 3 which is even better. It really finds it's footing as time goes on so if you've enjoyed it at all I'd keep going till part way through Season 2 at least.
you sons of bitches. :lol

As much as you guys have been hyping this shit up, there better be some seriously gut-wrenching payoffs in store. I'm talking man tears and celebratory fist pumps.

ok, I'm ready to love you, Fringe. Work your fabled magic...

Solo

Catalix said:
ok, I'm ready to love you, Fringe. Work your fabled magic...

If the episode "Ability" (episode 14) doesn't hook you, then you might be a lost cause, my man. However, if that is the episode that sucks you in, you will be treated to many pleasures. S3 is currently on a perfect run.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Yeah I'm having a hard time getting into Fringe too. Saw a few episodes and neither of them have hooked me. When i get time I've been meaning to give it a serious chance though.

Finished S2 of Dexter today. I thought the finale wasn't as strong as the S1 one but still very good.
It's a pity they killed off Doakes, stupid Lila. His scenes with Dexter were pretty interesting, even though I was slightly confused why he cared about him all of a sudden. I guess he saw how vulnerable Dexter actually is.

Solo said:
If the episode "Ability" (episode 14) doesn't hook you, then you might be a lost cause, my man. However, if that is the episode that sucks you in, you will be treated to many pleasures. S3 is currently on a perfect run.
Better advice: stop watching Fringe and watch (or rewatch) the X-Files. Fringe is just a poor man's X-Files.

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
If it's the one with the light box, it is the best the show ever got. Hardly a fair taste test.

big ander

Dax01 said:
Better advice: stop watching Fringe and watch (or rewatch) the X-Files. Fringe is just a poor man's X-Files.
Posted like a truly blind X-Files fanboy. Them being two sci-fi investigation shows does not make one the lesser version of the other. The characters are so much better and more well-developed in Fringe, so that's why I like Fringe better. But even if you like X-Files that's no reason not to watch Fringe. That's like saying there's no point in watching any more comedy shows because you've already seen Arrested Development.
StuBurns said:
If it's the one with the light box, it is the best the show ever got. Hardly a fair taste test.
What? Fringe only gets better as it goes on. Season 3 probably has the best episode in the series.

StuBurns

Banned
big ander said:
What? Fringe only gets better as it goes on. Season 3 probably has the best episode in the series.
I completely disagree, it got worse and worse, I don't even watch it anymore. Terrible.

big ander

StuBurns said:
I completely disagree, it got worse and worse, I don't even watch it anymore. Terrible.
How far did you watch? Because some people think the beginning of season 2 was a little weak, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who though the back half of season 2 was bad. That alone put the show in the critical favor.
Hell, if you can watch White Tulip or Peter and tell me those aren't great episodes of television, then I'll give up and just decide that your tastes aren't in line with mine in any way shape or form.

I watched the first couple episodes of S2 and then I bailed out on Fringe, but I need to catch up at some point. Seems like a lot of people are digging it these days.

big ander said:
Posted like a truly blind X-Files fanboy. Them being two sci-fi investigation shows does not make one the lesser version of the other. The characters are so much better and more well-developed in Fringe, so that's why I like Fringe better. But even if you like X-Files that's no reason not to watch Fringe. That's like saying there's no point in watching any more comedy shows because you've already seen Arrested Development.
The Cigarette Smoking Man laughs at this. Meanwhile, The Lone Gunmen go on the internet and make a blog about your ridiculous claims.

Solo

StuBurns said:

It's the best the show ever got...until midway through the second season, before which is when I have to assume you stopped watching.

big ander

Dax01 said:
The Cigarette Smoking Man laughs at this. Meanwhile, The Lone Gunmen go on the internet and make a blog about your ridiculous claims.
While your characters do this, Observers transcend space and time to observe your strange opinions regarding very different shows, and Walter Bishop creates a serum that eliminates people with your opinion, but has moral quandaries over whether to use it. He goes on to discuss those concerns with Peter, Astro, and Leonard Nimoy.

TheOddOne

Cornballer said:
I watched the first couple episodes of S2 and then I bailed out on Fringe, but I need to catch up at some point. Seems like a lot of people are digging it these days.
I bailed too at one point, but it was getting intresting. Better shows where airing so my focus was elsewhere.

big ander said:
While your characters do this, Observers transcend space and time to observe your strange opinions regarding very different shows, and Walter Bishop creates a serum that eliminates people with your opinion, but has moral quandaries over whether to use it. He goes on to discuss those concerns with Peter, Astro, and Leonard Nimoy.
What are the Q doing in Fringe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom