• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

Going through 24 again, just got to season 6. The first 5 seasons really are incredible from start to finish. Even though I've seen them all at least 4 times, it's still really intense. Might be because I have such a terrible memory xD Season 6 is showing some flaws from the start, but it does have some... perks ;) (OMG we have the same birthday ^_^)

Currently watching That 70's Show, just because I'm trying to pass the time between now and the VGA's and don't feel like watching 24. I'm also rewatching DragonBall Z and skipping the parts where Bulma is being a stupid bitch.

I've stopped caring about Chuck and House, but instead I'm watching The Good Guys and Nikita. Both of which are really good shows.

Regarding Lost, watch the first 2 seasons then give up. That's what I should have done xD

[edit] And Donna is a whole new level of cute n_n

big ander

Woffls said:
Going through 24 again, just got to season 6. The first 5 seasons really are incredible from start to finish. Even though I've seen them all at least 4 times, it's still really intense. Might be because I have such a terrible memory xD Season 6 is showing some flaws from the start, but it does have some... perks ;) (OMG we have the same birthday ^_^)

Currently watching That 70's Show, just because I'm trying to pass the time between now and the VGA's and don't feel like watching 24. I'm also rewatching DragonBall Z and skipping the parts where Bulma is being a stupid bitch.

I've stopped caring about Chuck and House, but instead I'm watching The Good Guys and Nikita. Both of which are really good shows.

Regarding Lost, watch the first 2 seasons then give up. That's what I should have done xD

[edit] And Donna is a whole new level of cute n_n
Wat, Lost season 2 is so so good.
And yeah, the first 5 seasons of 24 are really great.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Been watching The Event, man that show is bad. Got to the cliffhanger involving little girls that look old and i thought really? The whole thing seemed ridiculous, i almost want to stop but i'm curious what crazy shit they are gonna pull next.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
close to the edge said:
I watched the Lost pilot today (watched the first part yesterday). So far, not very impressed but I'll stick with it for a little longer, see what happens. The pregnant girl is really cute though.
UXVCl.gif

But yeah, honestly, if the show doesn't grab you at least by episode 4, I say just drop it.

Did anyone watch season 3 of In Treatment that just ended? I thought it was absolutely outstanding. The guy playing Sunil is an incredible actor. And Gabriel Byrne knocked it out of the park as usual. The only patient I didn't really dig was Frances but the other 3 episodes were top notch every week.

Also, Men Of A Certain Age season 2 just started and is as wonderful as ever. A shame more people don't watch it. I think the fact that Ray Romano stars in it puts a lot of people off even though he fucking great in it. Whole cast is brilliant, really.

Drewsky

Just finished up Season 2 of Mad Men. I like it a lot, but I'm not really sure why. None of the characters are likeable to me, they're all douchebags. Don is cool as hell, but he's a horrible person. I'm just not really sure what keeps me coming back to this show.

I don't think you should have to wait a season to find out if you like a show but Lost season 1 is my least favorite. I still liked it though. :p

Thinking about picking up the Lost complete series soon though. Watched the show since it premiered but never rewatched an episode or season since.

Salazar

Drewsky said:
Just finished up Season 2 of Mad Men. I like it a lot, but I'm not really sure why. None of the characters are likeable to me, they're all douchebags. Don is cool as hell, but he's a horrible person. I'm just not really sure what keeps me coming back to this show.

C'mon now. Not Peggy.

Catalix said:
UXVCl.gif

But yeah, honestly, if the show doesn't grab you at least by episode 4, I say just drop it.
:lol

Didn't continue with Lost today, watched Dexter instead, Season 2, Episode 7. What a great show.
All the scenes with Debra and Lundy are great to watch. Also, Dexter finally "got rid" of Doakes, he's been annoying for a while now. The scene in his lab was also great. "I own you", what a badass. And WTF is Lila doing? Filthy attention whore. :(

Oh, and obviously I loved the Chopin. Good taste, Lundy.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GOOD EATS should be on the top ten every year.

unless it excludes nonfiction.

wait, GOOD EATS actually is pretty fictional sometimes. it still counts.

What's the verdict on S5 of Dexter? I have the whole thing on my DVR, but I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to start watching over the holidays.
TheOddOne said:
Disregard my comment then! Have fun watching one of the best show currently on the air.
I watched the second episode of Psych and it was a little disappointing after the pilot, but I'll keep chugging through S1 and see how it shapes up.

big ander

Cornballer said:
What's the verdict on S5 of Dexter? I have the whole thing on my DVR, but I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to start watching over the holidays.
May not be fully accurate, but my interpretation from the thread:
5% This is great!
15% Not bad. Used to be better. Hope it gets better.
80% This is awful.

Personally, I feel like the season starts okay, goes nowhere for 7 episodes and just gets bad, starts to feel messy and rushed, then suddenly makes you think there's potential for it to become good before ending awfully.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's still worth watching if you're a fan of the series, but I'd recommend that you set your expectations low. It was pretty disappointing for me, but don't miss it if you've already seen seasons 1-4.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
DEXTER was over for me after season 3. even halfway through season 3, i started to see the cracks. i think the second season was the peak of my enjoyment; keith carradine as lundy was a boss.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
beelzebozo said:
DEXTER was over for me after season 3. even halfway through season 3, i started to see the cracks. i think the second season was the peak of my enjoyment; keith carradine as lundy was a boss.

You shoulda pushed through one more, season 4 had some solid moments. John Lithgow was a total creep.

spoiler redacted

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i watched some of season 4, but i just lost interest. my decision to stop watching was out of boredom, not out of good sense, if you gather. i was on board for season 4 and just abandoned it because i no longer cared.

Blader

beelzebozo said:
i watched some of season 4, but i just lost interest. my decision to stop watching was out of boredom, not out of good sense, if you gather. i was on board for season 4 and just abandoned it because i no longer cared.

Too bad, season 4 ended up being really good.

S5, on the other hand, was the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dexter has never had great writing or acting beyond MCH. Each season has serious problems and they vary from being moderately entertaining to atrocious.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Spire said:
Dexter has never had great writing or acting beyond MCH. Each season has serious problems and they vary from being moderately entertaining to atrocious.

I hope someday that someone will do a Dexter: Director's Cut edition where they edit out every scene that doesn't include MCH.

I would buy that.

big ander

Spire said:
The first season has always been my favorite because regardless of the quality of the writing/acting, we were still learning about Dexter, which made it exciting enough. Now that we're so familiar with him, the weak parts of the show are much more visible.

Spire said:
The scenes in season 4 with Lithgow and his family are top notch. Even the ones without MCH.

Cornballer said:
DO NOT WATCH.
I watched the second episode of Psych and it was a little disappointing after the pilot, but I'll keep chugging through S1 and see how it shapes up.
Yeah, I thought it was a step down, too. And it stays that way for quite a few episodes. I'm a little past halfway through the season and it seems to be picking up.

big ander

roosters93 said:
Twin Peaks - Damn
:lol :lol
Pretty much. Amazing show. Super creepy with the sort of melodramatic/soapy feel done just right to make it very endearing without pushing it into annoying territory.

Solo

beelzebozo said:

I enjoyed parts of S3 and S4, but honestly the show should have ended after S1.

Haven't seen the S5 finale yet... tonight.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
I enjoyed parts of S3 and S4, but honestly the show should have ended after S1.

Haven't seen the S5 finale yet... tonight.

pretty much. i remember discussing the second half of the third season with you at length, actually, about how that turn felt very rushed. it could have been slow and gradual and brilliant.

- IGN's Best of 2010
Best Drama Series - Mad Men
Best Comedy Series - Community
Best Animated Series - Futurama
Best Sci-Fi Series - Fringe
Best New Series - Terriers
Best Actor - Jon Hamm
Best Actress - Rose Byrne
Best Episode - The Suitcase (Mad Men)
Series We Will Miss Most - Lost
Best Television Series - Breaking Bad
There are a couple more categories via the link, but some of them were spoilerish, so I didn't retype them.

Finished S1 of Twin Peaks the other day. Damn. It feels like everything Lost should've been in terms of being a great thriller and mystery series.

Does S2 have a drop in quality after the ratings ploy?

StuBurns

Banned
roosters93 said:
Does S2 have a drop in quality after the ratings ploy?
Yes, but I personally I think it picks up again though, not as good as season one, but the drug mid-plot was a terrible few episodes.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Salazar said:
Misfits.

Amazing. Would shag Kelly.
I crack a smile every time Kelly opens her mouth. Have no idea what she's saying half that time, but I sure do get a kick outta that accent. "I FOOKIN LUV YA" :lol

This show is pretty damn brilliant sometimes. I'm glad I ended up giving it a chance, because it's not at all what I was expecting. It's a more grounded take on the "normal people with powers" premise, with very well written dialogue. Nathan in particular always delivers.

TripOpt55

I finished up the first season of Chuck. It was pretty good. I have S2 sitting here since I bought them both when I saw them on sale, so I'll probably jump into that soon.

Also, watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad since AMC is repeating them and liked that too. Pretty compelling stuff. I'll definitely keep watching it as they re-air.

Drewsky

TripOpt55 said:
Also, watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad since AMC is repeating them and liked that too. Pretty compelling stuff. I'll definitely keep watching it as they re-air.
Absolutely stick with it. Best show on TV.

besiktas1

Hmm so I've quit Seinfeld 3 episodes in to season 3 (sorry) but we've already talked about that in this thread :)

I'm enjoying Raising Hope, and it's convient to watch it off Skyplayer on my xbox (bring Netflix to UK damn it).

Now I've finished season 2 of Fringe. I'm on to my next "proper" series. It's going to be Boardwalk Empire or Mad Men. Heard about both being really good but have no idea what they're about :lol

Maybe Walking Dead.... I don't know. Maybe Carnavale :lol

- AMC picked up "Hell on Wheels" for series.
“Hell on Wheels” tells the epic story of post-Civil War America, focusing on a Confederate soldier (Anson Mount) who sets out to exact revenge on the Union soldiers who have killed his wife. His journey takes him west to ‘Hell on Wheels,' a dangerous, raucous, lawless melting pot of a town that travels with and services the construction of the first transcontinental railroad, an engineering feat unprecedented for its time. The series examines the railroad's institutionalized greed and corruption, the immigrant experience, and the plight of the newly emancipated African-Americans during reconstruction. Over time, “Hell on Wheels” chronicles this potent turning point in our nation's history, and how uncivilized the business of civilization can be.
More via press release and Poniewozik via the link.

von6dj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom