• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dax01 said:
And it's like you don't get that I'm not posting anything serious.
So can you point out exactly where you stopped being serious and started joking? Because I can see thousands of X-Files fans making that first post you made.

big ander

Dax01 said:
And it's like you don't get that I'm not posting anything serious.
The dispute started seriously, so I took it all seriously.
john_noble_fringe.jpg

CajoleJuice said:
So can you point out exactly where you stopped being serious and started joking? Because I can see thousands of X-Files fans making that first post you made.
From the first post? Chill dude, I was making the required X-Files>Fringe comment.

Drewsky

Dax01 said:
The Cigarette Smoking Man laughs at this. Meanwhile, The Lone Gunmen go on the internet and make a blog about your ridiculous claims.
The debate from this post on is some of the nerdiest shit I've ever read. And I like Fringe and X-Files, just to be clear.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
13 episodes into Season 3 of Supernatural. The season was fairly weak at the start with the exception of "Bad Day at Black rock" (which was a very awesome episode) but it's really picked up in the second half with "Mystery spot" being a real highlight. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the season, later today.

~Kinggi~

Banned
big ander said:
Posted like a truly blind X-Files fanboy. Them being two sci-fi investigation shows does not make one the lesser version of the other. The characters are so much better and more well-developed in Fringe, so that's why I like Fringe better. But even if you like X-Files that's no reason not to watch Fringe. That's like saying there's no point in watching any more comedy shows because you've already seen Arrested Development.

well thats false as shit.

Drewsky

Lafiel said:
13 episodes into Season 3 of Supernatural. The season was fairly weak at the start with the exception of "Bad Day at Black rock" (which was a very awesome episode) but it's really picked up in the second half with "Mystery spot" being a real highlight. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the season, later today.
Yeah, Mystery Spot is great. The rest of the season is pretty good too if I remember right.

finished rewatching mad men season 1 for the first time

i forgot how much i disliked the whole
oh hai you're pregnant here's the baby

Dennis

Banned
Just finished watching the last two episodes of Season 3 of Breaking Bad:

Episode 12: Half measures
Episode 13: Full Measure

And I have to say wow, fucking wow. So good.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are the best Drama shows on TV right now. Spartacus is nr. 3 and Boardwalk Empire is a good nr. 4.

But what do I watch now?

I'm halfway through the HBO John Adams miniseries.

I'm liking it, but the third episode was frustrating and kind of boring compared to the great first two, and I occasionally want to scream "I GET IT YOU LIKE CANTED ANGLES JUST HOLD THE GOD DAMN CAMERA LEVEL FOR ONE MINUTE AAAAAAARGH."

- Onion AV Club's 25 Best Television Series of 2010:
25. Dr Who
24. United States of Tara
23. Eastbound and Down
22. Archer
21. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
20. Huge
19. 30 Rock
18. Children's Hospital
17. Sherlock
16. Boardwalk Empire
15. Fringe
14. Justified
13. Modern Family
12. The Daily Show
11. Friday Night Lights
10. Cougar Town
9. The Good Wife
8. Lost
7. Terriers
6. Party Down
5. Mad Men
4. Louie
3. Parks and Recreation
2. Community
1. Breaking Bad

gdt

peterb0y said:
Am I missing something? Why is cougar town so high?

Because Cougar Town is fucking awesome?

I could nitpick alot of placements on that list, but as a top 25 it's good.

I find it more annoying that the likes of Fringe and Community beat stuff like Sherlock, Who and Eastbound and Down (not to mention Boardwalk as well)

damn lists, get me going.

big ander

Best 2010 list by far.
peterb0y said:
Am I missing something? Why is cougar town so high?
I've only seen a few episodes, but the show is supposed to have the same qualities that Scrubs did: a cast of characters that works really well together and a good dose of heart.

big ander

Discotheque said:
I find it more annoying that the likes of Fringe and Community beat stuff like Sherlock, Who and Eastbound and Down (not to mention Boardwalk as well)

damn lists, get me going.
I don't watch Sherlock or Dr. Who, but I certainly enjoy Fringe and Community much more than E&D. All three are great shows.
StuBurns said:
It wasn't the best season of Mad Men but Community beating it is pretty shocking to me.
The back half of season 1 and season 2 have been the funniest thing on TV.

There could definitely be some place changes, but I can't think of a show that the list completely shafts. MAYBE Todd Margaret.

big ander

Also a damn good list.
I should put The Good Wife on my list. My mom loves it, but I had always just assumed it was more relationship drama. Honestly had no idea it was a political procedural.

m3k

just about to start watching the shield season 4... had watched bits and pieces of the early seasons years ago and loved it, but it never took off in australia so it was hard to catch due to it always being on really late and moved around

excellent show, with very few convenient escapes for the main characters, peripheral characters brought in and out or made a focus for an agreeable amount of time throughout the series so far... most of the cast seems to have a purpose, enough characterisation, or act within their character... i dunno if that really makes sense but im not bothered retyping
this post

i know it will continue to be consistantly awesome from what ive seen and what ive read on gaf... i think the last part of the series i saw was when forest whittaker came on for a season or so

Going to start Walking Dead either today or tomorrow. I have all 6 episodes saved on my DVR in HD. :D

Cant wait to watch, but need the space too, so need to watch!

peterb0y said:
but both those episodes deserve the praise.

i wouldn't disagree but it gets a bit annoying to see them constantly mentioned. we get it already.

i like to think that mad men is consistently great and doesn't have episodes that stand head and shoulders above the rest.. like sopranos

PBY

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Going to start Walking Dead either today or tomorrow. I have all 6 episodes saved on my DVR in HD. :D

Cant wait to watch, but need the space too, so need to watch!
Lower your expectations, especially after finishing the first episode, and you'll enjoy it.

StuBurns

Banned
brianjones said:
i like to think that mad men is consistently great and doesn't have episodes that stand head and shoulders above the rest.. like sopranos
The Suitcase stands out because it's different and touches on things that have been bubbling up from pretty much the start.

The same reason the episodes when Tony is in a coma are often the most frequently name checked.

peterb0y said:
Lower your expectations, especially after finishing the first episode, and you'll enjoy it.

I heard there is some inconstant writing, which could annoy, but I am still a bit hyped. Thanks for another warning though.

Solo

Blader5489 said:
What? Yes it was.

Not at all. Had the best single episode of the series, but as a cohesive whole, S3 trounces it. The S3 finale is the culmination of 3 years of development and its a fucking thing of beauty.

Drewsky

Haven't watched S4 of Mad Men yet, but just finished S3 and the last few episodes were amazing. Really excited to watch S4.

Starz announced today that their new Camelot series will premiere on April 1st. Joseph Fiennes and Eva Green star in this one.

Also, Tim Goodman at the Hollywood Reporter released his Best of 2010 list:
1. Breaking Bad. AMC. This riveting and audacious series about life, death and meth just continues to astonish. Brilliant writing, acting, cinematography and sound flesh out stories that are both unvarnished and funny.

2. Mad Men. AMC. Don Draper’s existential crisis finally collapsed upon him fully – and we found out a lot about how a man rebuilds from the ruins. Intelligent, sumptuous, laden with surprises, playing out under the ominous change that’s coming.

3. The Pacific. HBO. Following Ken Burns’ epic The War, who thought there was room for more narrative, more emotion? But this miniseries showed that the Pacific theater was a brand new kind of hell and profoundly different in its scarring and scorching of the human spirit.

4. Treme. HBO. How do you follow up arguably the best drama ever made for television? David Simon answered with something wholly different than The Wire. Equally complicated and artful, this look at post-Katrina New Orleans was lyrical and heartfelt.

5. Lost. ABC. It might not have ended how everyone wished, but it was a hell of a ride and massively entertaining along the way. Will broadcast ever be this daring again?

6. The InBetweeners. BBC America. Like Freaks & Geeks shot through with punk energy and disdain, this coming of age story from England was riotously and consistently funny, showing up the best of its cross-pond cousins along the way.

7. Boardwalk Empire. HBO. Burdened by expectations that were impossibly high, this series about Prohibition, power, booze and lust built impressively from episode to episode, laying the groundwork for our next televised epic.

8. Men Of A Certain Age. TNT. Easily the most unexpectedly great drama of this bunch, it was also arguably the least clichéd and most accurate depiction of a man’s midlife crises put on television.

9. 30 Rock. NBC. Furiously funny at every turn – a comedy that’s both intelligent, gaspingly juvenile and able to pull off sight gags, physical humor and beat-perfect dialogue.

10. Terriers. FX. This season’s tragedy of great not being good enough. Successful beyond being the best buddy show in ages – it was smart, serious and touching. But also largely unseen.

11. Modern Family. ABC. Proof that if you infuse a familiar concept with great writing, an array of interesting characters and some out-of-flavor, irony-defeating sweetness, then not only can you play ball in the big leagues, you can hit it out of the park on a regular basis.

12. The Walking Dead. AMC. It’s not so much about the zombies as the living. A genre hit that draws in even non-horror fans because it rattles the bonds of humanity by twisting our moral compass.

13. Sons Of Anarchy. FX. There was some complaining about the pace of the middle episodes and the detour to Ireland, but creator Kurt Sutter should be applauded for shaking things up in Season 3 – a creative necessity -- then delivering a finale that brought all the complainers back into the fold.

14. Louie. FX. A bleakly funny and painfully honest look at one man’s midlife shortcomings – which conveniently substitute for our own. This is what happens when you mix life with honesty and funnel it through a comedian.

15. Parks and Recreation. NBC. Of all the things NBC did wrong in 2010, not appreciating or knowing what to do with this late-blooming gem was one of the bigger ones. Comeback series of the year.

16. Tie: The Life & Times of Tim. HBO. Ridiculously, outrageously funny. A minimalist slice of animated genius. Archer, FX. See above, sub out “minimalist” and insert “filthtastic.”

17. It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia. FX. Officially one of the least appreciated great comedies on television. Do they need to kill the Big Bang Theory people to get noticed?

18. Tie: Life, Discovery Channel; Great Migrations, Nat Geo. Breathtaking in HD and the result of passionate, dedicated people in any format. A gift to viewers.

Solo

y2dvd said:
I'll start watching Mad Men tonight. I hope everyone didn't overhype this show.

This is one of those rare shows that is really hard to overhype. The Mad Men thread has a few instances of truly cringeworthy hyberbole ("I'm literally shaking right now!"), but by and large it exceeds the hype.

y2dvd said:
I'll start watching Mad Men tonight. I hope everyone didn't overhype this show.
It's a great show - just make sure that you're patient with it. A lot of things don't pay off for a while, and they take their time to carefully build up the world and the characters.

Painkiller Q8 said:
Last night I saw the first episode of In Treatment, I really loved it.

So please tell me that I am going to enjoy this TV show !?

The first episode is fairly representative of the rest of the series, so you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom