• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
I've been watching True Blood (my rabid love for Six Feet Under isn't enough to keep me interested in this show. Netflix has been bringing me Mr. Show DVD's recently and I'm in love. Hope to finally finish breaking bad season 3 soon too.

Sepinwall's lists:
- Top 10 New Shows
- Top 10 Returning Shows
- Best 10 Overall Shows
New Shows:
1. Terriers
2. The Pacific
3. Louie
4. Boardwalk Empire
5. Treme
6. Rubicon
7. Justified
8. Sherlock
9. Archer
10. Parenthood

Returning Shows:
1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. Parks and Recreation
4. Community
5. ESPN's 30 for 30
6. Men of a Certain Age
7. Friday Night Lights
8. Lost
9. Cougar Town
10. Party Down

Overall:
1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. Terriers
4. Parks and Recreation
5. Community
6. The Pacific
7. Louie
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Treme
10. ESPN's 30 for 30

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finish Supernatural Season 3. Probably the worst season of the show so far, but that last episode was OH SHIT. I need season 4 now.

y2dvd said:
I'll start watching Mad Men tonight. I hope everyone didn't overhype this show.
Well you might think it's over-hyped based on the first few episodes. But stick with it until the end and it will really pay off. In fact in terms of GAF popularity it didn't get big until season 3 started airing.:lol

I'm glad Parks & Recreation is getting some love on the lists. I don't really care about lists at all but that show never seems to get much love out here in the Internet world.

big ander

VGChampion said:
I'm glad Parks & Recreation is getting some love on the lists. I don't really care about lists at all but that show never seems to get much love out here in the Internet world.
Wh-wh-what?? Season 2 gets near unanimous praise all over the place.

Jay Sosa

Just finished watching Monster, I never been that emotionally attached to a character like in this show.

To me it's the Wire of Anime, simply brilliant and outstanding.

Anything that's similar?

It doesn't need to be similar in setting, just regarding character development and dialogues.

Mifune

Mehmber
Robert Lloyd of the LA Times knows what's up. That's one of the best lists I've seen.

Also good to know that critics didn't just give The Walking Dead a free pass.

Jay Sosa

Ceres said:
From the people that actually watch it. Not that many people watch it.

I stopped watching because season one was boring at best. Maybe I'll give it another chance after reading all those positive comments, but considering all the praise Modern Family gets maybe not.

Watched the Dee gives birth episode yesterday and laughed my ass off, best episode so far, usually hate Dennis (Charlie's my fav by a mile) but his Thor speech was brilliant.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
StuBurns said:
Some incredible shit no? End of season two is some TV mastery of the like I've never seen.

you know, it's funny, i knew i loved aaron sorkin's writing--his movies, i mean, like CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR and THE SOCIAL NETWORK and A FEW GOOD MEN and even THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT--but i just always thought WEST WING looked boring or something, like my disinterest in politics would make me bored. this despite the fact that i loved loved loved his other movies surrounding the world of politics :lol

i love that he has such a distinct style. there are far too few tv writers that have that recognizable wit and sharpness in the writing; i feel like if you are familiar with his work, you can tell you're watching an aaron sorkin show or movie. how many tv writers can you say that about? like these writerly auteurs.

Jay Sosa said:
I stopped watching because season one was boring at best. Maybe I'll give it another chance after reading all those positive comments, but considering all the praise Modern Family gets maybe not.

Give it a try. They have stand alone episodes now and the pit is barely mentioned. So much better. I actively disliked S1.

StuBurns

Banned
beelzebozo said:
you know, it's funny, i knew i loved aaron sorkin's writing--his movies, i mean, like CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR and THE SOCIAL NETWORK and A FEW GOOD MEN and even THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT--but i just always thought WEST WING looked boring or something, like my disinterest in politics would make me bored. this despite the fact that i loved loved loved his other movies surrounding the world of politics :lol

i love that he has such a distinct style. there are far too few tv writers that have that recognizable wit and sharpness in the writing; i feel like if you are familiar with his work, you can tell you're watching an aaron sorkin show or movie. how many tv writers can you say that about? like these writerly auteurs.
I fully agree, he has a very distinct taste and it's reflected in every aspect of his work strangely. I've seen his three shows, and his films, and The West Wing is certainly the peak for me. He really benefits from a large canvass I think. Makes me wonder what Studio 60 could have been if it didn't bomb and he was given the time needed to have it grow, he planted plenty of seeds for some interesting arcs.

Jay Sosa

VGChampion said:
Give it a try. They have stand alone episodes now and the pit is barely mentioned. So much better. I actively disliked S1.

Thanks will do seeing you too didn't like the first season.

And just finished the 5. season of Dexter, might someone enlighten me why they are "trolling the audience" and I "SHOULDN'T HAVE WATCHED IT!!!!"

Couldn't see anything wrong with it, in fact I liked it so much I watched 6 episodes in 2 days..

Please don't tell me it's because just like in so many other shows the plot has holes/the people do unrealistic shit all the time..

And for people complaining about the acting, go watch some b-movies/sitcoms to see what horrible acting truly looks like.

Drewsky

Jay Sosa said:
Thanks will do seeing you too didn't like the first season.

And just finished the 5. season of Dexter, might someone enlighten me why they are "trolling the audience" and I "SHOULDN'T HAVE WATCHED IT!!!!"

Couldn't see anything wrong with it, in fact I liked it so much I watched 6 episodes in 2 days..

Please don't tell me it's because just like in so many other shows the plot has holes/the people do unrealistic shit all the time..

And for people complaining about the acting, go watch some b-movies/sitcoms to see what horrible acting truly looks like.
So basically anything anyone tells you is wrong with you're going to disregard anyway.

If you like it keep watching it, it's as simple as that.

Jay Sosa

I already finished it and want to know why people were complaining..

I just read some negative posts (without too much info why they didn't like it, like this one*) and the changed title of the OT, thats why I was asking.

What's the verdict on S5 of Dexter? I have the whole thing on my DVR, but I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to start watching over the holidays.

DO NOT WATCH.

I'll probably be ridiculed but for the past several weeks, I've been powering my way through One Tree Hill (OTH). It's not like I don't watch any of the other "serious" dramas this board considers noteworthy (i.e. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc) but I'm almost inclined to like a relationship drama no matter how cliched. Just started the 5th season of OTH and I find the "gap" a little jarring. I'm still enjoying the show but it's going to take some time to sink in.

Drewsky

Jay Sosa said:
I already finished it and want to know why people were complaining..

I just read some negative posts (without too much info why they didn't like it, like this one*) and the changed title of the OT, thats why I was asking.
The consensus seems to be negative because of a mix of the things you stated in your first post about Dexter, and the fact that it has taken up a formula that it doesn't stray to far from. They keep baiting the audience into thinking that maybe this year Dexter will get caught, and then they find some contrivance in order to get him out of whatever hole he's in.

You can read through the Dexter S5 thread to see what other people are saying is wrong with it I'm sure, I for one didn't even finish this season, I quit a few episodes in. Just wasn't into it anymore. Also Alan Sepinwall's review of the season finale addresses a lot of people's complaints about where the show has gone, and answers your questions about why many people don't like it anymore.

Jay Sosa

Thanks, will read that article, but I don't know if people will be happy if they get what they wish for (straying away from the formula)..I read a lot of complaints that in the first few season The Office focused too much on Dwight, Michael and Jim and look how that played out(the show has become utterly boring and more like Desperate Housewives).

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I love how Community and Breaking Bad are either a.) towards the top of a list, or b.) not on the list at all.

This leads me to believe that not enough people are watching either show

big ander

Ceres said:
From the people that actually watch it. Not that many people watch it.
Not many in real life watch it, but I feel like I see plenty who are watching it on the internet.
brianjones said:
community is way too high

ridiculous
I'd knock it down one peg; have it at 4 with Terriers at 3. But it's pretty damn close to where it should be.
Jay Sosa said:
Thanks, will read that article, but I don't know if people will be happy if they get what they wish for (straying away from the formula)..I read a lot of complaints that in the first few season The Office focused too much on Dwight, Michael and Jim and look how that played out(the show has become utterly boring and more like Desperate Housewives).
That's not why the office got boring for a couple seasons. It got boring because they started to basically redo stories and disregard any character development. Seasons 5 and 7 improved on that vastly by focusing on other parts of the cast and turning them from window dressing into characters and by taking characters like Dwight, Jim, Pam and Michael to new places. Dexter hasn't been doing that. It felt like Dexter learned a lesson he had already learned way too many times and the antagonist wasn't very formidable (mostly for lack of focus on him), so the plot was just not gripping at all. And sure, other shows have plot holes. But Dexter season 5 has so many plot conveniences and ridiculous occurrences it's astounding, and without an adrenaline-fueled story to cover it up they become even more glaring.

Jay Sosa

That's not why the office got boring for a couple seasons. It got boring because they started to basically redo stories and disregard any character development. Seasons 5 and 7 improved on that vastly by focusing on other parts of the cast and turning them from window dressing into characters and by taking characters like Dwight, Jim, Pam and Michael to new places

Well I guess we heavily disagree then(this season was fucking horrible, except one or two episodes), when I turn on the TV I want to be entertained and don't give a fuck about character development on a comedy show..

The Office suddenly focused too much on the life outside of the office, the relationship between the characters and lots of people only watched it because they want to laugh and don't wanna watch a character study. Or maybe that's just me. I don't wanna watch ASIP and see Charlie and Mac having a conversation about Sartre while Dee reflects on her past.

Anyway back to Dexter, I have to say you do have a point with all your complaints (especially the lack of focus on the main antagonist, but that's mainly due to the fact that he was after a group of people, can't say they didn't try to change something) but I don't see how anyone can like the 4 previous season and hate this one. It just sounds like the typical internet overreaction. Sure it wasn't as good as the first one, but come on..

It's just that for my taste there are already too many shows trying to find a balance between action and "deep stuff" (for the lack of a better term, something that the Sopranos for instance almost did perfectly) and horribly fail.

big ander

Jay Sosa said:
Well I guess we heavily disagree then(this season was fucking horrible, except one or two episodes), when I turn on the TV I want to be entertained and don't give a fuck about character development on a comedy show..

The Office suddenly focused too much on the life outside of the office, the relationship between the characters and lots of people only watched it because they want to laugh and don't wanna watch a character study. Or maybe that's just me. I don't wanna watch ASIP and see Charlie and Mac having a conversation about Sartre while Dee reflects on her past.

Anyway back to Dexter, I have to say you do have a point with all your complaints (especially the lack of focus on the main antagonist, but that's mainly due to the fact that he was after a group of people, can't say they didn't try to change something) but I don't see how anyone can like the 4 previous season and hate this one. It just sounds like the typical internet overreaction. Sure it wasn't as good as the first one, but come on..

It's just that for my taste there are already too many shows trying to find a balance between action and "deep stuff" (for the lack of a better term, something that the Sopranos for instance almost did perfectly) and horribly fail.
Haha, you're acting like character development and comedy are mutually exclusive. When actually, character development drives most comedy. Yeah, Dwight talking about his beets is funny. But would it be funny if Michael randomly walked into the office and started talking about beets? No. Dwight has been established as that farmer character, as the one with stubborn and strange methods of doing things. Without that foundation for his character, none of that comedy would work.

The Office isn't a character study. I see that as a much stronger phrase than "character development." Development is just the progression of the character over the course of the show, while a character study aims to dissect and analyze a character.

And what the hell at IASIP and Sartre and reflecting on past? Is that what character development means to you? Because that would be fucking awfully boring.

Not trying to be all pretentious, but it truly seems that your problem is a bad grip of what character development means. Character development is the fact that Michael in the Office has become a little less selfish and a little more grounded. It's the fact that he's beginning to handle his emotions in different (but equally funny) ways. It's the fact that Dwight slowly has learned the value in other people.

It's these developments that drive the actions of the characters and it's those actions that make us laugh. Your post acts as if the perfect comedy would be a nonsensical string of actions, and that's just not true.

A side note, I don't know what you're on about with season 7 being bad. From The Office topic and from conversations with other people I know and from critical reviews, Season 7 has been a huge upwards swing in the quality of the show after season 6. I don't think there are many that disagreed in finding season 6 extremely under-whelming.

Now to Dexter. There are so many ways you could love the previous four seasons and not love this one. They aren't even in the slightest consistent. First of all, Season 1 had so much mystery surrounding Dexter that it sets it apart. Season 2 has payoff between characters and pivotal choices in Dexters life. Season 3 has him trying to find out if he's stuck being who he is or if he can change. Season 4 has him trying to find balance. Season 5 does almost nothing with him. The central relationship of the season is based on him NOT changing. Which was slightly compelling, but by the end of the season very little was concluded on what it all meant for him. The season seemed to disregard previous events in the series, and then in its finale reset it so that we were back in a pre-season 5 state.

Now that'd be fine if the action was compelling, but the fact that it's not and that the entire opposition group is marginalized is a big problem.

And lastly, I have no idea what you're saying about too many shows trying to balance drama and action. Too many shows today are just going for the action and putting up the appearance of drama when they don't have a lot of substance.

I just finished Eastbound and Down season 2. Series is so good. It takes a while to warm up to it, but once you're acclimated nearly everything that comes out of Danny McBrides mouth is gut-busting.

American Pickers. Holy shit this show is so addicting. Just seeing them wheel and deal and make a profit is pretty cool. I'm learning a thing or two. just haggled 10 bucks of a pair of concert tickets, hahaha

Drewsky

Just started S4 of Mad Men. It's off to an awesome start.

Edit: Just watched the third episode. The Lane and Don New Year celebration was fucking great. I'm absolutely hooked now.

mello

Started watching Community last week, I'm on episode 17 now and I'm totally speechless. Absolutely hilarious. I'm completely in love with the writing on the show. Ahbed is too coool! :)

big ander said:
I just finished Eastbound and Down season 2. Series is so good. It takes a while to warm up to it, but once you're acclimated nearly everything that comes out of Danny McBrides mouth is gut-busting.

I hope they hurry up and put season 2 out on Amazon or iTunes soon. I can't wait.

Jay Sosa

big ander said:
Haha, you're acting like character development and comedy are mutually exclusive. When actually, character development drives most comedy. Yeah, Dwight talking about his beets is funny. But would it be funny if Michael randomly walked into the office and started talking about beets? No. Dwight has been established as that farmer character, as the one with stubborn and strange methods of doing things. Without that foundation for his character, none of that comedy would work.

The Office isn't a character study. I see that as a much stronger phrase than "character development." Development is just the progression of the character over the course of the show, while a character study aims to dissect and analyze a character.

And what the hell at IASIP and Sartre and reflecting on past? Is that what character development means to you? Because that would be fucking awfully boring.

It was an exaggeration meaning I like my comedy characters to be predictive and the way I like them, I don't give a fuck about Michael becoming more grounded when it means that he just isn't that funny anymore, I don't give a fuck about boring ass Erin or that this guy from Hangover (sorry haven't watched the Office for a while) gets all teary and emotional about her dating another guy. I watch(ed) it to have a good laugh not watching people getting little less selfish. I don't wanna see Dwight learning anything. But again it's obvious that (at least on GAF) I'm pretty alone on this. That's why I mentioned ASIP, the reason I still like it is that Dennis is still the exact same asshole he was in season 1, Charlie still the same idiot and Dee still gets ignored even despite being pregnant. If they do it right I'm all for it (Eastbound and down SE1) but to me the Office became pretty shitty as soon as they started trying to flesh out the characters and give them more depth, tried to evolve them.

Not trying to be all pretentious, but it truly seems that your problem is a bad grip of what character development means. Character development is the fact that Michael in the Office has become a little less selfish and a little more grounded. It's the fact that he's beginning to handle his emotions in different (but equally funny) ways. It's the fact that Dwight slowly has learned the value in other people.

It's these developments that drive the actions of the characters and it's those actions that make us laugh. Your post acts as if the perfect comedy would be a nonsensical string of actions, and that's just not true.

A side note, I don't know what you're on about with season 7 being bad. From The Office topic and from conversations with other people I know and from critical reviews, Season 7 has been a huge upwards swing in the quality of the show after season 6. I don't think there are many that disagreed in finding season 6 extremely under-whelming.

Well than once again I don't agree with critics or GAF, I can just say it how I see it. TV GAF/critics also try to convince me that the second season of the Wire isn't boring when everyone I talked to not posting here tells me (and I agree) that it was the worst season and they almost stopped watching the show because of how boring it is. Sometimes it seems like GAF/the Internet is a parallel universe or something.

big ander

Jay Sosa said:
It was an exaggeration meaning I like my comedy characters to be predictive and the way I like them, I don't give a fuck about Michael becoming more grounded when it means that he just isn't that funny anymore, I don't give a fuck about boring ass Erin or that this guy from Hangover (sorry haven't watched the Office for a while) gets all teary and emotional about her dating another guy. I watch(ed) it to have a good laugh not watching people getting little less selfish. I don't wanna see Dwight learning anything. But again it's obvious that (at least on GAF) I'm pretty alone on this. That's why I mentioned ASIP, the reason I still like it is that Dennis is still the exact same asshole he was in season 1, Charlie still the same idiot and Dee still gets ignored even despite being pregnant. If they do it right I'm all for it (Eastbound and down SE1) but to me the Office became pretty shitty as soon as they started trying to flesh out the characters and give them more depth, tried to evolve them.

Well than once again I don't agree with critics or GAF, I can just say it how I see it. TV GAF/critics also try to convince me that the second season of the Wire isn't boring when everyone I talked to not posting here tells me (and I agree) that it was the worst season and they almost stopped watching the show because of how boring it is. Sometimes it seems like GAF/the Internet is a parallel universe or something.
Seems like you appreciate shows that never change, which is fine, it's just that most everyone (even all the people that I know, if we're going to get anecdotal) hate when a show never changes and uses the same jokes over and over and is entirely boring. That's a fine preference to have, it just means that the majority of people who are enthusiastic about a medium are going to disregard your opinion because you're not looking for anything in it except something to fall asleep to.
Also, you again said that Michael learning stuff or a new romance being introduced took away from the comedy, when I would largely disagree. Michael learning has brought many funny moments and new characters and romances so far in The Office have been successful.
And while I've seen very little of IASIP, the people I know who love it say it's because the show is trying new stuff and pushing boundaries. You can't do that when you have characters who aren't allowed to be anything but Stupid Michael! or Nerdy Dwight! or Affable Jim! and they're just stuck in an Office. It's a limited premise unless you try to move forward.

Memles

Littleberu said:
Apparently this guy doesn't have HBO or something? No Pacific or Boardwalk Empire?

This guy was too busy to get past the pilot of Boardwalk (plan to catch up eventually), and find it unfair to compare movies/miniseries like The Pacific to traditional series in lists of this nature.

The Pacific was one of the best things I saw this year, do not get me wrong, but the comparison just seems off to me. And yes, I'm aware that mixing comedy/drama/reality already creates plenty of weird comparisons, but there's something about the HBO brand of lavishly produced, epic in scale, conclusive miniseries which enters into its own category.

Jay Sosa

Halfway through Breaking Bad SE3, love the new more aggressive Hal, just one thing really bothered me so far..

so they show us how fucking hardcore these Mexican hitmen are just to then let them act like fucking amateurs when they try to kill his brother in law (forget the name)?.."Too easy" wtf? and then he doesn't even take away dudes gun? What kinda stupid hitman does that? Not to mention that they can't even hit the guy from like 2 feet away..

And god I hope this stupid bitch ass wife of his gets killed anytime soon, I hate that annoying women. In fact I hate every character other than Walter, his brother in law, Jesse(and his stupid ass friends) and the lawyer. Speaks for the show that I still love to watch it.

Drewsky

Jay Sosa said:
Halfway through Breaking Bad SE3, love the new more aggressive Hal, just one thing really bothered me so far..

so they show us how fucking hardcore these Mexican hitmen are just to then let them act like fucking amateurs when they try to kill his brother in law (forget the name)?.."Too easy" wtf? and then he doesn't even take away dudes gun? What kinda stupid hitman does that? Not to mention that they can't even hit the guy from like 2 feet away...
Come on dude, the episode you are complaining about was one of the best episodes of the season, not to mention one of the best in the series. The end scene was one of the best most suspenseful and badass things I've seen on TV.

Jay Sosa

Don't get me wrong not saying it wasn't well done or anything from a suspension standpoint
and I'm glad that Hank survived, but come on dude, they build up the tension for 6 episodes and you finally see the two dudes in action and then they completely fuck up the job like some rookies? And the pistol just happens to fall in to Hanks car :lol Not saying that it makes me dislike the episode or even the show, hell no. But for a series that prides itself for being halfway believable that was pretty funny. Maybe they did it on purpose for comedy reasons. I love to watch action movies that pull this stuff all the time, I was just surprised to see something like that in Breaking Bad

But now I better keep my mouth shut before I once again anger TV GAF.

Drewsky

The whole point was he just got lucky.
Obviously this is what they were going for since the only reason Hank survived at all was that one hollow point bullet that was given to the twin fell from his pocket next to a gun that happened to fall next to him as well, and none of this would have happened at all if Hank wasn't warned ahead of time.
And yes the scene was an absolutely amazing example of suspense filming.

Jay, man, me and you are just never gonna get along on this TV stuff. First you argue about how great Dexter is and now this. It's just not meant to be between us. :)

tabsina

Just finished season 4 of Sopranos.. loving it so far, the story, the pacing, the acting

The season finale of season 4 in particular had some amazing acting between Tony and
Carmella when she decides to divorce him

I'm very impressed - I did not think I'd enjoy Sopranos this much

Jay Sosa said:

so they show us how fucking hardcore these Mexican hitmen are just to then let them act like fucking amateurs when they try to kill his brother in law (forget the name)?.."Too easy" wtf? and then he doesn't even take away dudes gun? What kinda stupid hitman does that? Not to mention that they can't even hit the guy from like 2 feet away..

yeah i know what you mean.

it's a cool scene but the more it settles the more you realize how stupid it is

tabsina said:
Just finished season 4 of Sopranos.. loving it so far, the story, the pacing, the acting

The season finale of season 4 in particular had some amazing acting between Tony and

is that whitecaps? great stuff

i love when tony is pulling up to his house and hes got the music going feeling good and then runs over his golf clubs :lol

bud

the twins were cool at first, but then ended up being kinda stupid. but still, that ending is so fucking badass.

tabsina said:

one of my favorite episode endings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxSep7KS_U. <3

Jay Sosa

Drewsky said:
The whole point was he just got lucky.
Obviously this is what they were going for since the only reason Hank survived at all was that one hollow point bullet that was given to the twin fell from his pocket next to a gun that happened to fall next to him as well, and none of this would have happened at all if Hank wasn't warned ahead of time.
And yes the scene was an absolutely amazing example of suspense filming.

Jay, man, me and you are just never gonna get along on this TV stuff. First you argue about how great Dexter is and now this. It's just not meant to be between us. :)

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing :D

But I wasn't arguing how great (this season of) Dexter is, just that it wasn't THAT bad.

Btw.: Saw the fly episode yesterday, I think that's one of my favorites episodes of any TV show ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom