• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What a terrible episode. So much dead air and time wasting lingering shots that add nothing.

And the dougie shit is such a an insulting waste of time.

At this rate it might be worth catching episode summaries than wasting the hour it takes to watch this.

Yeah smoking dude in the bar is probably Audrey's Son, since he's credited as Richard Horne.

Also Becky was mentioned in the episode where Shelly was in the roadhouse gossiping to her friends. I'd have to imagine she's her daughter.

Stellar episode. Things are starting to connect which is lovely. Love the direction they take Jacoby. So good!

Blader

They started in nov 2015 and he died Jan 2016. So who knows.
I really doubt it, his disease came back pretty aggressively in those last couple months, and he would've poured all his remaining time into Blackstar and the Lazarus play. If he had died a few months later, then I could see there might be a possibility, but I think window here was just too small to fit that in.

I loved this episode. I love this season.

There was something very familiar about the animation on that black box that shriveled up at the end. Have we seen that animation before? Maybe with Dougie in the lodge?

There was something very BOB-ish about the way he spoke. Curious to see if there's some kind of connection there.

Speaking of which...

I think that debate was mostly Slaythe shitting on everybody for dare thinking that BOB was inside the doppelganger.

I was fully on team 'Bob is not possessing the doppelganger'. It seems to me that Bob is a passenger though here.... Not in control of the doppelganger. Along for the ride. "With" him. As whoever wasn't Jeffries wants.

So now we understand the mirror scene. The doppelganger has all the agency people like me thought, but as other people thought, Bob is in there. Seemingly not influencing him... but maybe with his own agenda. Maybe he doesn't need to because Mr C is providing them both lots of garmonbozia.

Twists and turns and stories coming together and lots of Twin Peaks with old and new and plenty of music and...

Yeah. Not sure it was as good as Parts 1 and 2, but it's way way up there. It felt like FWWM. It felt like classic Twin Peaks. It felt completely fresh.

And is the doppelganger's ring finger fingerprint backwards? Tammy has agency! Janey-E is involved with Buckhorn somehow?

It was so fucking good.

I think the longer they prolong the Cooper thing the better. This is partially about his journey after what happened at the end of the last season, and too quick a resolve could be less impactful. If they do it right, it's something that could damn well bring out the tears.

I think the longer they prolong the Cooper thing the better. This is partially about his journey after what happened at the end of the last season, and too quick a resolve could be less impactful. If they do it right, it's something that could damn well bring out the tears.
Agreed completely. He's clearly advancing too, rather than when he first started out. People need to be patient. There's plenty of other things going on too.

This is where I'm at, as long as we've got a good chunk of other interesting stories to flow together (which is exactly what this episode did a great job at establishing) I think it'll be more than worth the wait. I am expecting more lodge shenanigans though to fully help him snap out of it, assistance from One Armed Man and what not.

Yeah, and Kyle is killing it in the meantime. If this episode didn't have enough 'Twin Peaks' for people I'm not sure what else they could do.

Too quick? It's been 5 episodes lol

Don't tell me this. This isn't what I want to hear.

Can you link to the interview? I genuinely don't know how much more I can take of baby Cooper. My girlfriend and I are finding it really hard to watch.

Agent Cooper is back on Earth, but he’s not yet the Cooper we know. Can you describe a bit how you make sense of this Cooper?
This is a guy that is a child — not even a child, a baby, who has the focus and the capability of a baby. So if something is interesting to him, all his focus and attention is on that object for as long as it’s there or until something else gets his attention. Everything is new for this character. Just the exercise of it was fun, and finding the funny quirky moments, too. And to play with tempo — how long can you play something out? And that plays into one of the things that David is so brilliant at, which is rhythm. Rhythm and tempo. So it was just great playing in that space and style that he does.

There’s that moment in part 4 when Cooper takes the drink of coffee, and I thought maybe, in that moment, his mind would come rushing back.
Yeah, I thought that too. It’s going to be interesting to see how that tension plays out and how the audience responds to it. I was thinking about this and how people are responding to it right now — there is just so much more to come! Each time, each part, there’s going to be such new stuff. And people will go back and start to put the pieces together, they’ll start assembling this story. It’s unlike anything I’ve seen before on TV.
From this interview

terrible

Banned
I have no problem with the Cooper storyline dragging out. I do have a problem waiting for each new episode to air though. It's been 20 minutes since I saw episode 5 and I'm already sick of waiting for 6.

The Coop realization/awakening scene is going to be incredible

twin-peaks-recap-revival-episode-4-coffee.png

Wish I had a gif of his face when he's peeing so that'll have to do. I expect a similar expression.

I have no problem with the Cooper storyline dragging out. I do have a problem waiting for each new episode to air though. It's been 20 minutes since I saw episode 5 and I'm already sick of waiting for 6.
Just rewatch. I mean I am going to rewatch the crap out of this.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What meaning are you pulling from the Dougie stuff

Two parts.

First part is people's lack of attention or care in society, Cooper is obviously not well but everyone is too caught up, uninterested, or passive to get involved. Cooper is old as are most of the actors and seems to be demonstrating how someone clearly unwell and old is just ignored and accepted because, well he's old and people ignore him. When he has attention from others they tell it's something wrong but either are passive of it, blame him for it, or manipulate him over it. His boss get angry, his co-worker teases him.

Second part and maybe the more amusing one for me, I also don't know if this was Lynch's intention but I feel like Cooper's journey is some commentary on shows returning so long and finding their footing. Cooper is being returned to by some of the most pop culture and well-known Twin Peaks things, this episode he got his, "Damn fine," line spoke back to him. He wins it big and people just seem to hate him for being a winner. This goes on, but the strongest bit in this episode was when Dougie blocks the elevator making it so people can't get past and everyone just starts getting aggravated and yelling, "Come on!" "Hurry up!" "Dougie, get out of the way!", which seems like a nudge-nudge sort of thing as the episode then moves away from Dougie for the rest of the episode.

So short version, reading it into some social and reboot/returning to a work after many years/remake commentary, which I doubt is Lynch's intention but I'm pulling a lot from that.

Also I just personally find the Dougie scenes amusing. I wouldn't be happy if it was all season, but I'm not tired of it yet.

Too quick? It's been 5 episodes lol

Yea but it's been 25 years since Coop was trapped in the Lodge. And his departure from it was harrowing. I expect a serious amount is time dedicated to it. It's "only" been 2 1/2 episodes since he got out. And lots of credit to MacLachlan, he's doing a great job showing Coop's slow awakening. Very subtle progress.

Two parts.

First part is people's lack of attention or care in society, Cooper is obviously not well but everyone is too caught up, uninterested, or passive to get involved. Cooper is old as are most of the actors and seems to be demonstrating how someone clearly unwell and old is just ignored and accepted because, well he's old and people ignore him. When he has attention from others they tell it's something wrong but either are passive of it, blame him for it, or manipulate him over it. His boss get angry, his co-worker teases him.

Second part and maybe the more amusing one for me, I also don't know if this was Lynch's intention but I feel like Cooper's journey is some commentary on shows returning so long and finding their footing. Cooper is being returned to by some of the most pop culture and well-known Twin Peaks things, this episode he got his, "Damn fine," line spoke back to him. He wins it big and people just seem to hate him for being a winner. This goes on, but the strongest bit in this episode was when Dougie blocks the elevator making it so people can't get past and everyone just starts getting aggravated and yelling, "Come on!" "Hurry up!" "Dougie, get out of the way!", which seems like a nudge-nudge sort of thing as the episode then moves away from Dougie for the rest of the episode.

So short version, reading it into some social and reboot/returning to a work after many years/remake commentary, which I doubt is Lynch's intention but I'm pulling a lot from that.

Also I just personally find the Dougie scenes amusing. I wouldn't be happy if it was all season, but I'm not tired of it yet.

It might. His wife mentions that he has episodes similar to this before, so it might be that people around​ him are aware he gets like this sometimes. I don't really feel like he's ignored really.

Oh my god no. This shit needs to get resolved asap. These scenes are painful.
He's making progress. So long as that continues I'm on board. He's coming back. We just need to be patient. Meantime, here's the double R. Here's Mike running a Chevy dealership. Here's Doctor Jacoby running a crazy talk show.

Oh my god no. This shit needs to get resolved asap. These scenes are painful.

I think it'll change gradually over the course. It won't be the same shit every episode then bam the resolution later. There's a lot of interesting development they can do as they build toward his eventual awakening or however you'd like to put it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I want to see Knepper and Belushi rough up more people. Was surprised by Belushi's menacing side when he tells whats his face to take a hike out of town. More please.

Belushi let it slip in an interview on a talkshow there's a party scene he's in (as soon as he mentioned a party scene he zipped his lips and realized he might of said too much), so at the very least we know his character is returning.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
He's making progress. So long as that continues I'm on board. He's coming back. We just need to be patient. Meantime, here's the double R. Here's Mike running a Chevy dealership. Here's Doctor Jacoby running a crazy talk show.

It felt like half the episode was dedicated to Dougie just trotting around repeating a single word. Everything else is good, but when so much of the show is dedicated to this it's so hard to watch.

It would be weird for Coop to suddenly conquer the inner hero's journey in a few episodes people, especially when the totality of his being has been through the transdimensional psychic meat grinder that is the lodge for 25 years.

Earlier someone mentioned the animation of the object in Buenos Aires looking familiar, only thing I could think of was the gold ball, but it reminded me of some papier mache stop motion effect more than anything. Looked cool.

Kemal86

My theory? Failed attempts at manufacturing people, to perfect the process. They said loads of hits on his fingerprints. I'm thinking loads of dead Briggs showing up with no clues.

I'll need to rewatch, but I thought they were saying they had a match on prints found at the site of the fire that Briggs died in - which would be Dopplecoops - not a match for the prints of Garland Briggs himself. (This would also tie in to what Tamara was looking at towards the end).

It felt like half the episode was dedicated to Dougie just trotting around repeating a single word. Everything else is good, but when so much of the show is dedicated to this it's so hard to watch.
He's making clear progress which is enough for me to enjoy the journey. I didn't pick up on it when I first saw part 3 and part 4, but on rewatching them you see clear moments where a penny drops and he improves. Further moments here.

I was so happy to see Jade again!

It would be weird for Coop to suddenly conquer the inner hero's journey in a few episodes people, especially when his being has been through the transdimensional psychic meat grinder that is the lodge for 25 years

You get it. This is hero's journey writing 101. This is the conflict and there are 18 episodes. You don't want Frodo to destroy the Ring before he leaves the Shire. You may not like the Dougie stuff but this is how storytelling works, and I maintain that they will slowly change and develop Dougie as the story goes on.

I so wonder if they will use the Bowie scenes in Buenos Aires from the Missing Pieces in some way. Lynch clearly has no problem repurposing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom