• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenners

The wait for new eps kinda brutal. BCS the next day is helping a little, but that show's got like two episode left.

Welcome to how it was originally watching it!

I'm loving the slow traditional weekly pacing out, this is a Twin Peaks thing. Binging 18 hours of this for a first time viewing? ...

big ander

I'm liking how much time there is to digest the eps. Also allows plenty of time for multiple viewings, been able to watch each ep at least twice so far

Finally got to watch the 5th episode. I don't not like it, but I am a little bummed just how uneventful the episode felt. Sure, things happened, but it felt like it was another very disconnected one. It was starting to feel like it was going somewhere with 3 and 4. I kinda wish it would stop adding more layers to it when there are so many unresolved ones still in it so far.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I got a kick out of Uniform being the soundtrack for the thugs in the car.

EdmondD

Report back with details lol. Good idea not doing it with the initial watch.

Damn good Jo. I would recommend it if you're into that kind of thing. I usually smoke weed before watching Lynch stuff but shrooms was a nice step up. Episode 1 was scary as fuck with the monster in the glass box. Episode 3 blew my mind. I love that episode. The effect when Coop is being shocked by the device in the space basement. So awesome. I think I enjoyed the episodes even more a second time through. This season is even crazier than I ever imagined it being and I'm really glad for that.

Audioboxer

Are we just going on Cooper's brain being scrambled because of how long he was locked away? Or his Lynch masterfully explained this and I just didn't pick up on it?

Kind of feeling it will be annoying if he's out the game for the whole season.

Our review of episode 5 is out. Happy to say we're coming around on it finally.

http://twinpeakspodcast.blogspot.ca/2017/06/episode-51-return-part-05-has-been.html
Glad to hear it. I hope everyone ends up liking it. I can't imagine what it would be like to wait so long for something and to feel left out. My brother in law is struggling with this season, and it's just salt in his wounds that everyone else seems to like it. I'm not going to try and talk him around to liking it, because that's a dick move, but I hope it wins him over.

At least before the fest, because he's coming with us!

Do you know what relatively means?

Also if this was a standard TV series it would be season 5 and we still wouldn't have seen what's in the box.

I do yes. But you explicitly said it's an 18 hour film. You didn't say "if you treat it like a film we've only just begun" or anything like that. You said it's an 18 hour film and we're only half an hour into it. Which is nonsense.

Are we just going on Cooper's brain being scrambled because of how long he was locked away? Or his Lynch masterfully explained this and I just didn't pick up on it?

Kind of feeling it will be annoying if he's out the game for the whole season.

There's precedent. Briggs got briefly scrambled. Jeffries was all kinds of messed up after his time there. Coop's been there longer and had a rough return to reality... plus he isn't surrounded by things that could aid with him remembering. People are calling him by the wrong name, and he has nothing to help ground him.

So I don't personally need more explanation than we've been given.

Flipyap

So what is it? An 18 hour film or a standard length film?

Or maybe, just maybe, it's an 18 episode long television series?
Call for help.

Hang on, I've missed this about Briggs' head. How do we know it's in the space basement (lol)?
They mean this floating space head:

Wtaj4H7.gif

moggio

Banned
I do yes. But you explicitly said it's an 18 hour film. You didn't say "if you treat it like a film we've only just begun" or anything like that. You said it's an 18 hour film and we're only half an hour into it. Which is nonsense.

It's no wonder you find Twin Peaks hard work if you struggled that hard to understand what I meant.

Thanks for the responses.

I've watched the entire TV series, movie and first five episodes in about two weeks coming from a position of total ignorance so there is a lot of stuff swilling around in my head at the moment.

It's no wonder you find Twin Peaks hard work if you struggled that hard to understand what I meant.

That's... an interesting response.

When have I ever said I've found Twin Peaks hard work?

What I struggle with is people in here quickly jumping on anyone who says something like "These Dougie scenes are dragging on a bit" with "it's just a really long film, just wait, it's a really long film, it only seems boring now because we don't know the end of the really long film".

I get the feeling that if the next episode was just Cooper sitting alone in a chair for the entire episode with absolutely nothing whatsoever happening people in here would call it the greatest thing they've ever seen.

That's... an interesting response.

When have I ever said I've found Twin Peaks hard work?

What I struggle with is people in here quickly jumping on anyone who says something like "These Dougie scenes are dragging on a bit" with "it's just a really long film, just wait, it's a really long film, it only seems boring now because we don't know the end of the really long film".

I get the feeling that if the next episode was just Cooper sitting alone in a chair for the entire episode with absolutely nothing whatsoever happening people in here would call it the greatest thing they've ever seen.

Which people?

I've criticized things and no one jumped on me when I did.

I'm not sure if you're the same Mad Men fan that came in questioning if anyone really liked it, but we've definitely faced that, and those people deserved to get jumped for it.

Even if you aren't the same Mad Men fan (sorry I don't remember the username, just the Mad Men connection), if you think "give it a chance" or "be patient" is being jumped on then maybe a forum like NeoGaf isn't for you.

Which people?

I'm not sure if you're the same Mad Men fan that came in questioning if anyone really liked it, but we've definitely faced that, and those people deserved to get jumped for it.

Even if you aren't the same Mad Men fan (sorry I don't remember the username, just the Mad Men connection), if you think "give it a chance" or "be patient" is being jumped on then maybe a forum like NeoGaf isn't for you.

I've never questioned if any one really likes the show, no.

Maybe "jumped on" is pushing it a bit. But there are a lot of people quickly looking to defend the show whenever they can.

I've seen that 18 hour long film statement so many times in the thread. It's a big nonsense.

hamchan

What? We're 5 hours in.

Whether it's an 18 hour film or not I'm pretty sure we're still 5 hours in...

So what is it? An 18 hour film or a standard length film?

Or maybe, just maybe, it's an 18 episode long television series?

uCZMQ4p.gif

Right. OK. I apologise if I've caused offence to anyone in this thread.

HELLOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOO

Haha, that's funny isn't it. I'm like that guy off of that show.

HELLOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOO

*thumbs up*

Maybe "jumped on" is pushing it a bit. But there are a lot of people quickly looking to defend the show whenever they can.

I've seen that 18 hour long film statement so many times in the thread. It's a big nonsense.

the point of the 18 hour film comparison is that the structure of the series is, supposedly, the same same as a film i.e. beginning, middle, end as opposed to a more normal episodic structure which is that each episode will have it's own mini-narrative within the larger narrative. In other words, each episode is a thing in it's own right, rather than the result of taking an 18 feature and chopping it into 18 chunks.

Flipyap

I actually wish there were more posters who are critical of the new show. Even some corners of Dugpa are less positive than this thread, which I never would have expected.

It really isn't. This series wasn't written or filmed like a TV show. It was conceived as one big screenplay with no pre-planned episode breaks.

It's not nonsense. This is essentially an 18 hour film that was split up into 18 parts in the editing bay. As such, people shouldn't expect each hour of it to feel like a complete mini movie in and of itself.

Not saying that it excuses or explains away any criticisms of the first five hours being slow though, because as you rightly point out, it's still five hours.

Where I get testy myself is with comments suggesting that people in here would claim they like the new episode even if it's just an hour of someone sitting in a chair... because I haven't seen evidence of that. I've seen people taking issue with multiple things. I'm not sure anyone has been 100% positive about it.

We've talked about the problematic aspects of how Agent Preston was handled in Part 3 and 4. We've discussed whether or not the Wally scene is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. We've had people who think the actress playing Frank Truman's wife is awful. I've bitched about the video look of most of Part 3 and some of Part 4.

I mean, it's Twin Peaks. I don't think anyone loves everything in Twin Peaks. But someone probably likes anything you could name. Heck maybe some maniac likes Evelyn Marsh.

I actually wish there were more posters who are critical of the new show. Even some corners of Dugpa are less positive than this thread, which I never would have expected.

The Twin Peaks group of Facebook is also I lot more mixed.

For whatever reason I think NeoGAF skews much more towards David Lynch fandom than Twin Peaks fandom than a lot of other places. That's partly based on my observation about how big a deal Mulholland Drives seems to be here. I'm glad I'm discussing this in more than one place, because different places have different takes on it.

I'm enjoying the discussion here though, obviously.

The last thing I'll say on the matter is that David Lynch and Showtime should have been smart enough to release the whole series in one go if that's how they want it to be seen.

These hour long episodes of not much happening is not doing the show any favours whatsoever.

Zach

I'll worry about a hard-hitting critical assessment after the series concludes. Nothing is too glaringly bothersome for me so far, so I'll keep rolling with it and having a wonderful time.

If you're not having a good time, or think it's bad TV, why are you still watching?

PolishQ

A good way to think of it is that, relatively speaking, we're still in the Deer Meadow section of FWWM. There could be major plot threads in season 3 that we haven't even seen a glimpse of yet, and with 13 hours left there's still plenty of time to tell them.

This show was always going to appeal more to Lynch fans than people who just like Twin Peaks. It won't be as popular because of it but it's certainly the approach I prefer. There was a lot of guff in Twin Peaks but I suppose that guff was the reason that some people liked it.

I'll worry about a hard-hitting critical assessment after the series concludes. Nothing is too glaringly bothersome for me so far, so I'll keep rolling with it and having a wonderful time.

If you're not having a good time, or think it's bad TV, why are you still watching?

Because you're a big fan of Twin Peaks and you'd have to be some sort of mentalist (watch it!) to give up on a show you really like just because the first 5 episodes of the new series haven't been quite what you've hoped?

I want to make this abundantly clear by the way, I have enjoyed some of the new stuff. Not all of it, but some of it.

Blader

Five hours into an 18-hour film is about 28 percent of the whole thing. A half hour into a regular two-hour film is 25 percent of the whole thing. That's why he said we're relatively a half hour into the movie now. Not that we're literally 30 minutes into The 18-Hour Twin Peaks Movie.

Don Draper's Hat said:
The last thing I'll say on the matter is that David Lynch and Showtime should have been smart enough to release the whole series in one go if that's how they want it to be seen.

These hour long episodes of not much happening is not doing the show any favours whatsoever.

Showtime is not a streaming-only platform, so dropping the whole thing at once would mean either spoiling the entire show for viewers who only watch on TV or airing the entire 18-hour work in one day (which would similarly spoil the entire experience for people who only watch 1 to 2 hours a week). It's just, literally, not their business model.

If these hour-long episodes aren't doing any favors for the show in your eyes, then stop watching for now, wait until it's over, and watch the whole thing at your leisure.

I think it's perfectly fine if someone doesn't like the new season. It's not paced to dole out huge plot points every week. That is not a style of art for most.

But I do think it's premature to say a scene is pointless. We don't know if or when it will be followed up on. And of course a scene's importance does not rely strictly on plot points divulged. Mood and character are just as important.

Twin Peaks and David Lynch work has always been hard for me to criticize though. If I don't like something of his, it's usually a feeling thing. And I don't know how to articulate that. And I can't tell if that isn't how he wants me to feel anyway.

Things like the acting in his work is always done very specifically. I don't think there's ever been a performance in something he directed that wasn't exactly what we wanted. It's different than most other movies or shows. And would feel out of place elsewhere. I don't think that makes it bad though. But I understand why others would not like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom