• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Sadly, I think it is confirmed that Heather Graham is not in this season, which is crazy to me. Annie was Coop's main love interest and the driving force of the season 2 finale. It's nuts that, at most, she will get a namedrop with no actual reunion. :(

Only thing I could see happening above a namedrop is someone like Dern playing a recast Annie. most likely though she's mentioned in passing, and I think it's very possible she doesn't come up at all

Woz

I was reading Cooper's autobiography when I stumbled on this:

February 10, 3 P.M.

Am standing on the corner of Chelton and Greene. It is raining lightly. On the street several feet from the gutter is the body of a man. A police tape circles the body in a wide arc. He is white, dark hair, about six feet tall, wearing a green jacket, tan pants, and brown shoes. He is lying facedown. Blood is gathered around his neck and in a small pool by his feet. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life, and I feel like I may get sick.

twin-peaks-cooper-struggling-1500x1000.png

HELLOOOOOOOOooOOOOO

It's just a coincidence.

Maligna

Banned
I got a piece of feedback for my podcast this week that some people having trouble with the show may like. It starts off with the writer listing things he likes about episode 5 but it slowly morphs into a lesson on it being okay to not like this new season.

I thought it was pretty clever and it made us laugh when we read it on air.

(Continued from list of things he likes about episode 5)

#3. Frank's giant smile when he discovers he loves green tea lattes. Everybody in the office orders coffee, so he orders coffee too, but he never finishes drinking it, because he secretly doesn't like it. He never thought too much about it, as he just assumed coffee is what you drink, and it tastes not great, but hey that's life, and don't look for any alternatives, because you don't deserve to be happy, because is anyone really happy?, so yeah I'll take a coffee too, I guess, why not?

But now he learns a truth: he loves himself some green tea lattes. Frank, it is okay to not like what everyone else likes. They have their preferences, and you have yours. It doesn't mean they're right for loving coffee, and you're wrong for hating it, simply because you think coffee is pretentious and awkwardly paced and poorly scripted. Or that you're disappointed how coffee was marketed as one thing, but it turns out coffee is mostly a giant waste of time with only a few minutes of genuine entertainment. Don’t listen to the Internet, Frank. You like green tea lattes, and that's OKAY.

Frank, YOU’RE GOING TO BE OKAY.

Obviously the listener is having problems with the new season, but I thought this was funny so I thought I'd share it.

Have you read this interview in Vulture with Kimmy Roberson?

An interesting QUOTE regarding Ontkean.

Vulture:What exactly did David tell you in regards to Michael not returning?

KR:I can’t say what I heard. I heard something, but I can’t say it.

Vulture:The general consensus is that he just retired from acting and didn’t want to come back.

KR:That’s one of the things that I heard, yes. That’s the one I’m allowed to say. All the other ones, the rumors, could be hearsay. I don’t know, I really don’t. I would talk to you about it, but I have no way of getting a hold of him so I can’t call him and see.

Gives me hope we'll get some sort of cameo. Maybe on the phone or even a FaceTime call.

Flipyap

Have you read this interview in Vulture with Kimmy Roberson?

An interesting QUOTE regarding Ontkean.

Gives me hope we'll get some sort of cameo. Maybe on the phone or even a FaceTime call.
Kimmy is kind of amazing.
I was just talking with Sheryl yesterday, and she was like, ”Don't even try to digest the plot, just let it wash over you. It's a work of art, everyone can get a different meaning from it." And I was like, ”That's absolutely right. I'm just not going to overthink it anymore."
Well, I like the overthinking. Again, I'm disagreeing with Sheryl Lee. We are both sides of the same coin, she and I. We are so much alike, it's funny. If I had become the parent to a human, I would become exactly like her. But yeah, I like to examine and pull it apart and put it back together. It feels neat in my brain, it feels like I'm learning something.
(...)
I gotta call Sheryl Lee. You reminded me. Another thought occurred to me – wasn't [the show] like stepping into heaven without having to die?

Opening the room isn't the issue - the key could be tracked back to Vegas, where FBI could start a proper search for Cooper.
Laura's diary contained the message from Annie - "My name is Annie, and I've been with Laura and Dale. The good Dale is in the Lodge, and he can't leave. Write it in your diary."

The diary will be what's missing from Laura's case file. The Lodge reference will be the connection to Hawk, as he explained the Lodges to Cooper. I'm calling it now.

"Please find my Laura'

Laura's sudden departure in the lodge - something happened to her diary/memory.

Ray Down

Banned
Sadly, I think it is confirmed that Heather Graham is not in this season, which is crazy to me. Annie was Coop's main love interest and the driving force of the season 2 finale. It's nuts that, at most, she will get a namedrop with no actual reunion. :(

Could be that Annie was create due to interference from Kyle and Lara and David Lynch rather get rid of all that.

Blader

At first thought it'd be crazy for the show to ignore Annie, especially Cooper, given how his status quo for the last 25 years has hinged entirely on Annie. But, given the level of brain damage he's suffered and so much of his journey -- and the audience's investment in it -- is focused on just getting the fuck better, I don't even think about Annie anymore.

cucuchu

My wife and I just started watching this show last week and are up to episode 4 of the second season. This show is easily in my top 3 shows of all time now...what an unexpected surprise. I have been reading anything and everything about the show since I will only watch it with my wife in the evening before we go to bed but I just cannot stop thinking about it. I've spoiled pretty much all of the main characters' plot points but its just too damn interesting for me and its not hampered my enjoyment of the show at all! I hope season 3 keeps up the quirkiness.

Hope to be caught up by the end of next week so I can join you guys for discussion of current episodes.

PolishQ

Episode 5 question:

Who is Mr.
Strawberry
and why is the guy so freaked out that he mentioned him?

All we can do is speculate based on the Warden's reaction, which seems to say "How the hell could this guy know about Mr. Strawberry?" Seems to me that the Warden did something horrible in his past and it's one of his most carefully-guarded secrets.

Edit: Or perhaps the Warden was long ago tormented or molested by a Mr. Strawberry who has long since died.

The diary will be what's missing from Laura's case file. The Lodge reference will be the connection to Hawk, as he explained the Lodges to Cooper. I'm calling it now.

"Please find my Laura'

Laura's sudden departure in the lodge - something happened to her diary/memory.

Both diaries are visible on the table of evidence. Pages could be missing though, but both diaries are present and correct!

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but aren't the missing pages from Laura's diary implied in FWWM to be the pages where she wrote down Annie's message from the future, ripped out by Bob/Leland? If so, it could be that Hawk and co. realise those are still missing and somehow find them.

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but aren't the missing pages from Laura's diary implied in FWWM to be the pages where she wrote down Annie's message from the future, ripped out by Bob/Leland? If so, it could be that Hawk and co. realise those are still missing and somehow find them.

To be fair to Andy, there is documentation of what's supposed to be in the case files on the table too. Like, there is an evidence sheet that lists the Chocolate Bunnies. It's possible they documented which pages were missing originally.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with Hawk's heritage though.

PolishQ

To be fair to Andy, there is documentation of what's supposed to be in the case files on the table too. Like, there is an evidence sheet that lists the Chocolate Bunnies. It's possible they documented which pages were missing originally.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with Hawk's heritage though.

The message would be "The good Dale is in the Lodge and he can't leave," and the Lodge has something to do with Hawk's heritage. He's the first one to mention the Black Lodge in the original series, IIRC.

Laura couldn't have written the message in her secret diary, though (the one with pages ripped out) because she had already given it to Harold at that point. And the pages had already been ripped out, which is why she gave it to Harold for safe-keeping. This is all according to FWWM.

The original series contradicts this, and implies that Laura was still writing in her secret diary up to the day of her death ("Tonight is the night that I die"). But that episode wasn't written by Lynch, so who knows.

Flipyap

The message would be "The good Dale is in the Lodge and he can't leave," and the Lodge has something to do with Hawk's heritage. He's the first one to mention the Black Lodge in the original series, IIRC.
The way Hawk will find it has something to do with his heritage, not the thing itself.

”Something is missing and you have to find it. It has to do with Special Agent Dale Cooper. The way you will find it has something to do with your heritage. This is a message from the log."

PolishQ

The way Hawk will find it has something to do with his heritage, not the thing itself.

“Something is missing and you have to find it. It has to do with Special Agent Dale Cooper. The way you will find it has something to do with your heritage. This is a message from the log.”

Fair point. I don't think the missing thing will be the pages anyway, as there's no evidence that Laura actually ever wrote down the message.

“Something is missing and you have to find it. It has to do with Special Agent Dale Cooper. The way you will find it has something to do with your heritage. This is a message from the log.”

Good catch.

As much as I love Naomi Watts and I'm glad to see her here, I can't stand this Dougie arc.

I need Coop back and soon. If it goes on for more than another two episodes, I'm bailing. The heart of the show, Coop, just isn't there right now.

Solo

There isn't a mystery that requires Special Agent Dale Cooper to solve though. The mystery is Special Agent Dale Cooper this time.

As much as I love Naomi Watts and I'm glad to see her here, I can't stand this Dougie arc.

I need Coop back and soon. If it goes on for more than another two episodes, I'm bailing. The heart of the show, Coop, just isn't there right now.

Stop for now and binge them all when the break happens in July. It might help a little. I wouldn't be surprised if Coop was still a bit stunted though.

sappyday

I think next episode something crazy will happen to Coop, however I don't think we'll get the real Coop back until like episode 15.

Linkin112

I'm betting on Episode 9 being the return.

3rdman

I think next episode something crazy will happen to Coop, however I don't think we'll get the real Coop back until like episode 15.

Personally I expect to see him (sort of) back by the end of the next episode. Episode 6 will be the 1/3 point of the show and (traditionally) the end of the first act of the story.

Act 1: Cooper comes back
Act 2: Cooper goes on the trail to find Mr. C
Act 3: Cooper kicks ass, beats Mr. C, marries Audrey, and gets trapped in the black lodge again. :p

Ray Down

Banned
Personally I expect to see him (sort of) back by the end of the next episode. Episode 6 will be the 1/3 point of the show and (traditionally) the end of the first act of the story.

Act 1: Cooper comes back
Act 2: Cooper goes on the trail to find Mr. C
Act 3: Cooper kicks ass, beats Mr. C, marries Audrey, and gets trapped in the black lodge again. :p

Cooper don't deserve that :-(

PolishQ

Cooper don't deserve that :-(

I'm worried about Cooper. We know one of the Coopers has to die, but I don't think many of us are seriously considering the possibility that Good Cooper might be the one who ends up perishing. The Giant's "two birds with one stone" comment also has me worried that the solution to defeating Evil Coop might be Good Coop sacrificing himself.

Solo

Based on the progression of Coop-as-Dougie so far, I think you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect "old Coop" back any time soon. My guess is that, if it even happens full stop, it won't be until the last third of the season.

And that's fine with me - the Dougie stuff is great.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm worried about Cooper. We know one of the Coopers has to die, but I don't think many of us are seriously considering the possibility that Good Cooper might be the one who ends up perishing. The Giant's "two birds with one stone" comment also has me worried that the solution to defeating Evil Coop might be Good Coop sacrificing himself.

I don't think i could bare Good Cooper dying, or any of the lovable charterers in this show for that matter.

Linkin112

That would be super tragic to me. Cooper is trapped in the Black Lodge for 25 years of his life, only to finally return and die? What a bummer note to end on.

I think Coop will get his faculties back, before he gets his memories back. Like, he'll be competent but still not remember who he is.

If you remember from the leaked shoot footage from last year:

POTENTIAL MAJOR SPOILER

Cooper walks Laura up the steps to her house.

i think we'll at the very least see somewhat "normal Cooper" at some point.

Does Lynch ever write happy endings? I haven't seen any of his films, but it's my understanding that they're all pretty messed up.

Edit: lol Ray Down. I should have finished reading the page.

PolishQ

Also wasn't the two birds with one stone statement with the Richard and Linda part?

Can't remember atm.

Yes, but we don't know if "two birds with one stone" was ABOUT Richard and Linda. The Giant is known to deliver clues in sets of three that may not be directly related to each other.

There is a man in a smiling bag.
The owls are not what they seem.
Without chemicals, he points.

Richard and Linda.
Two birds with one stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom