• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Glass

Neo Member
There's something about it.

That's true. Earlier I thought that Dougie stuff was hilarious. That was the first time we saw it from Lynch point of view - it's a tragic story about a lost person.

Oh and about why people don't care or don't want to care about Dougie. I think in this surrealist way Lynch wants to show us how shallow our relations are nowadays. We don't want to deal with people who needs serious help. We don't care. We don't have time. I think all of them see that something's wrong but they don't want to get deep into that. That should also say something about who Dougie was before. People didn't care about him or always thought about him as an idiot. Maybe they just don't see that something drastically changed. Notice how Dougie was behaving in a Black Lodge, what his responses were to stuff that happened there - "I feel weird", "that's funny", "what's going on?". They were really immature and not really smart. Maybe that should say something to us.

English is not my first language so sorry if I've made some mistakes above. Also - NeoGaf finally activated my account so I just wanted to say hi to all of you!:)

carda114

I decided to put a little GIF together for everyone.

urE2Xl9.gif

A-V-B

My dad just sent me a message:

"We're caught up now...WHEN IS COOPER GOING TO SNAP OUT OF IT?!?!?!"

I mean, keep in mind every single episode is called The Return. It's not unreasonable to expect that the whole show will be Coop making his way back to Twin Peaks, very slowly, and being Lodge-addled. Shit, in the very last act in the finale, regular Agent Cooper could come back out of nowhere after some weird Lynchian 20 dollar visual effect warps him around for a couple minutes, and then he punches evil Cooper in the face, eats a donut, and humps a fir tree. The end.

Lynch might lose most of his viewers and he doesn't give a fuck. Props to him for having some serious cajones.

EdmondD

That's true. Earlier I thought that Douggie stuff was hilarious. That was the first time we saw it from Lynch point of view - it's a tragic story about a lost person.

Oh and about why people don't care or don't want to care about Douggie. I think in this surrealist way Lynch wants to show us how shallow our relations are nowadays. We don't want to deal with people who needs serious help. We don't care. We don't have time. I think all of them see that something's wrong but they don't want to get deep into that. That should also say something about who Douggie was before. People didn't care about him or always thought about him as an idiot. Maybe they just don't see that something drastically changed. Notice how Douggie was behaving in a Black Lodge, what his responses were to stuff that happened there - "I feel weird", "that's funny", "what's going on?". They were really immature and not really smart. Maybe that should say something to us.

English is not my first language so sorry if I've made some mistakes above. Also - NeoGaf finally activated my account so I just wanted to say hi to all of you!:)

Yeah, I noticed that. Dougie is dumb as a box of rocks. He's almost childlike. Like you said people see something wrong but they really don't want to deal with it. Jade tells him maybe he should go to the hospital but she doesn't actually want to take the time to take him there. In fact she says, "I think you need to forget you ever met me. Which shouldn't be too hard for you." Which is fucked up and funny. Janey E knows somethings wrong but is too busy losing her shit. His kid thinks hes being funny but may be noticing something is off. People at work don't care and are annoyed by him.

Has Sonny Jim had any lines of dialogue yet? Maybe his is in a similar state to Cooper, it seems like they have some sort of connection. In the driveway before going to work, when Cooper looked at Jim, it looked like he wanted to cry, like he was remembering something painful.

Notice how Dougie was behaving in a Black Lodge, what his responses were to stuff that happened there - "I feel weird", "that's funny", "what's going on?". They were really immature and not really smart. Maybe that should say something to us.

i rewatched 3 yesterday (it may be one of the best things Lynch has ever made) and i never really thought of his responses as dumb so much as disarming. he seemed like a normal person plucked into this crazy world, almost like a Frank Grimes character. maybe this is part of his "construction", that he was created almost like an empty vessel, and he is wholly alien to this world where the real Cooper has spent the past 25 years. they are different people, hence the need to show this through their reactions. contrast this with the real Cooper silently following the eyeless lady and all the weird stuff in order to exit, he knows how this stuff works, as weird as it is, even with time flipping back and forth.

on that note, the animation sequence where he turns into a black smoke and the orbs are floating in the air and stuff is one of the coolest things ever.

Linkin112

I wonder what words Dougie Cooper is going to learn this coming episode that are triggers for him? Maybe the office has some doughnuts the next day and if that statue outside the job really is of Gary Cooper, I'm hoping "Cooper" is one of them.

Flipyap

on that note, the animation sequence where he turns into a black smoke and the orbs are floating in the air and stuff is one of the coolest things ever.
As much as I like the idea of Dougie developing a serious case of Trump Hands and turning into a pachinko ball, I just can't look past those special effects.

It's an even bigger bummer because it reminds me of this visual from the teaser for BioWare Austin's cancelled Shadow Realms (funnily enough, it also featured a spotlight-faced character):
8jMpore.gif

When I first saw that, I though it was a really cool Lynch-like visual... well, nope, not quite. Turns out a Lynch version of that looks more like the weirdest episode of South Park.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I mean, keep in mind every single episode is called The Return. It's not unreasonable to expect that the whole show will be Coop making his way back to Twin Peaks, very slowly, and being Lodge-addled. Shit, in the very last act in the finale, regular Agent Cooper could come back out of nowhere after some weird Lynchian 20 dollar visual effect warps him around for a couple minutes, and then he punches evil Cooper in the face, eats a donut, and humps a fir tree. The end.

Lynch might lose most of his viewers and he doesn't give a fuck. Props to him for having some serious cajones.

Yep. I think "when will Coop return?" is the "who killed Laura Palmer?" of this season, and given that the common consensus was they revealed the answer to that way too soon, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen until the very last moment - if at all.

I mean, I'm not going to lie, if Coop is still like that by episode 9 or 10 I probably won't finish the season unless everything else going is insanely interesting to me.

Linkin112

Yep. I think "when will Coop return?" is the "who killed Laura Palmer?" of this season, and given that the common consensus was they revealed the answer to that way too soon, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen until the very last moment - if at all.
There is absolutely no way Cooper will be doing the Dougie the entire limited series. Don't speak that into existence :(

Sleazeball looked like the love child of Matthew McConaughey and Michael Pitt, two guys who look and act like sleazeballs.

Also that Seyfried shot is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Sleazeball looked like the love child of Matthew McConaughey and Michael Pitt, two guys who look and act like sleazeballs.

Reminded me of Dennis Hopper mixed with Michael Shannon tbh.

I imagine lynch really wanted the guy to channel Frank Booth from blue velvet. Loving these new characters so far.

Edit: oh ur talking about the kid shellys daughter is with. Never mind

zeioIIDX

I liked that dude in Antiviral (2012)! And man, Amanda Seyfried is my only Hollywood crush...next to Alison Brie of course.

I really loved the humor in episode 5. I'm sure Cooper will snap out of it at some point in the near future. At least I hope he will.

Here's a great analysis on the meaning behind the glass box by RagnarRox on Youtube. I love some good ol' commentary mocking the current state of television so I choose to believe this. It's a more subtle message than what the original show was doing but I'm glad to see the new one doing the same as I initially thought it was embracing modern TV more than anything. Although I did feel some kind of mockery when I saw the guy with his eyes glued to the glass box in the first episode, I didn't think to interpret it further than that.

Also, this is my new favourite video on the internet. I'm going to be getting a lot of use out of it.

Nameless

After years of putting it off I finally started S1 last week. Up to S2 and just finished 'Lonely Souls'

giphy.gif

This god damn show.

As much as I like the idea of Dougie developing a serious case of Trump Hands and turning into a pachinko ball, I just can't look past those special effects.

i loved it. it was very much in style with his previous work doing stop motion animation. do yourself a favor and watch "The Alphabet" or "Six Men Getting Sick". not sure what would have appeased you, some slick soulless CGI sequence? gimme dat DIY art, all 18 hours of it.

the dougie sequence uses a similar animation technique to Lynch's "Dream #7"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uDsVi2EU_E

it has been weird to see so many complaints about the special effects in this series but hey this is the era of the signalling "discerning" consumer. they are crude and DIY for a reason, because he is a hands-on artist, he has been working with painting and animation and art for decades. he mixes practical effects with old school techniques, and has been doing this his entire career. in the event that he does go with a higher budget approach (the smoke coming out of the power outlet and casting that shadow looked sooooo good) it has been really really cool.

i loved it. it was very much in style with his previous work doing stop motion animation. do yourself a favor and watch "The Alphabet" or "Six Men Getting Sick". not sure what would have appeased you, some slick soulless CGI sequence? gimme dat DIY art, all 18 hours of it.

it has been weird to see so many complaints about the special effects in this series but hey this is the era of the signalling "discerning" consumer. they are crude and DIY for a reason, because he is a hands-on artist, he has been working with painting and animation and art for decades. he mixes practical effects with old school techniques, and has been doing this his entire career. in the event that he does go with a higher budget approach (the smoke coming out of the power outlet and casting that shadow looked sooooo good) it has been really really cool.

The end result is something jarring and goofy. It takes a lot of people out of the moment, just like bad CGI would.

The end result is something jarring and goofy. It takes a lot of people out of the moment, just like bad CGI would.

i entirely disagree. again, look at his other works, he uses this kind of stuff constantly, he deploying "jarring and goofy" with regularity, it is all part of the absurdist mood he is building.

he has been using this style for decades. did the Lady in the Radiator from Eraserhead take you out of the movie? that was goofy. there is an inherent humor to all of this weird stuff he is digging up. this is not a Serious Crime Drama, this may be marketed as prestige television but Lynch has never played by those rules.

Flipyap

Oh, give me a break. There is time and place for everything. Lynch's animation work always existed in its own bubble, separate from his consistently beautiful film work lasting from Eraserhead until his discovery of digital cameras. Like just about everyone, Lynch benefits from collaborating with other artists and professionals, and being more technically skilled in their fields doesn't make their work "soulless."

This isn't about budget, Eraserhead looks a million times better than the new show's special effects. A crude papier-mâché head still compares favorably to all the half-assed photoshoppery we've seen so far (I guess that stuff somehow doesn't count as "soulless CGI"?).
It's not even about the technique, it's about how and when it's used. Lynch has shown that he CAN use these tools to achieve better results - for example, the Phillip Jeffries scene from The Missing Pieces uses a similarly crude 2D animation style (and that PS1-era fire texture, classic).

Lynch being "a hands-on artist" doesn't excuse crap like this:
The only reasons for doing things this way would be the need to fart it out quickly, at the last possible minute, or refusing to get even an amateur photo editor involved to preserve secrecy, but the end result is the same - you get the worst prop ever made.

I think even good CGI for these types of effects would look cheesy. I'm glad they went the way they did, suits the abstract dream-state feel.
I've never dreamed in 2D. Sounds wild.

Reminded me of Dennis Hopper mixed with Michael Shannon tbh.

I imagine lynch really wanted the guy to channel Frank Booth from blue velvet. Loving these new characters so far.

Edit: oh ur talking about the kid shellys daughter is with. Never mind
No I did mean bar dude and yeah I got major Dennis Hopper vibes from him. Seyfried's boyfriend is also sketchy, but he's more of the pathetic sleaze (like Bobby) than psycho sleaze.

Oh, give me a break. There is time and place for everything. Lynch's animation work always existed in its own bubble, separate from his consistently beautiful film work lasting from Eraserhead until his discovery of digital cameras. Like just about everyone, Lynch benefits from collaborating with other artists and professionals, and being more technically skilled in their fields doesn't make their work "soulless."

This isn't about budget, Eraserhead looks a million times better than the new show's special effects. A crude papier-mâché head still compares favorably to all the half-assed photoshoppery we've seen so far (I guess that stuff somehow doesn't count as "soulless CGI"?).
It's not even about the technique, it's about how and when it's used. Lynch has shown that he CAN use these tools to achieve better results - for example, the Phillip Jeffries scene from The Missing Pieces uses a similarly crude 2D animation style (and that PS1-era fire texture, classic).

Lynch being "a hands-on artist" doesn't excuse crap like this:

The only reasons for doing things this way would be the need to fart it out quickly, at the last possible minute, or refusing to get even an amateur photo editor involved to preserve secrecy, but the end result is the same - you get the worst prop ever made.

You're sure smart and clever for realizing that poster misspelled a word.

Chitown B

More like he wanted the lodge to take Dougie, rather than himself, when Cooper escapes, and then have the hitmen posted outside to kill Cooper once he left the house/neighborhood. That way Mr. C remains the only one left.

Jeffries? Why would the lodge be taking Jeffries?

Since I have just finished watching all of Lynch's films, I thought I'd share rating/order. I did like all of them, but I enjoyed some of them a lot more than others. I won't put FWWM in the list as I don't think I can rate it fairly on its own merits, I'm too influenced by the series.
1) Mulholland Drive
2) Eraserhead
3) The Straight Story
4) Inland Empire
5) Lost Highway
6) Blue Velvet
7) The Elephant Man
8) Wild at Heart
9) Dune

PolishQ

Here's a discussion question. Assuming that Janet-E and Sonny Jim are "real" (not manufactured and not actors in some sort of Truman Show scenario), do you feel that Cooper has a responsibility to stay with them even after he regains his faculties? Does real-Cooper essentially now have a family, and especially a son, to care for whether he wants it or not? I can't quite see Cooper saying "not my problem" and leaving them once he snaps out of his stupor. But maybe the plot will intervene as to not put him in that position. Thoughts?

120v

Here's a discussion question. Assuming that Janet-E and Sonny Jim are "real" (not manufactured and not actors in some sort of Truman Show scenario), do you feel that Cooper has a responsibility to stay with them even after he regains his faculties? Does real-Cooper essentially now have a family, and especially a son, to care for whether he wants it or not? I can't quite see Cooper saying "not my problem" and leaving them once he snaps out of his stupor. But maybe the plot will intervene as to not put him in that position. Thoughts?

unless there's some kind of plot twist Sonny is technically Coop's son. unless you want to get into the weeds with Lodge lore, a clone offspring is still your offspring.

the morality behind whether he should bail on him or not i dunno but naturally a father wouldn't want that, even if he is a 'half father' or whatever

I think I posted this before, but I really don't think Cooper will be in this state the whole show to the end. I think there's going to be another murder in Twin Peaks (probably Seyfried), and at the moment she dies will be when whatever build up to Coop finally coming back will peak and he'll be fully back. I don't think the season will ever be fully Twin Peaks-like, but it feels with each episode (excluding 3), there's been a little bit of a return to a slightly more traditional TP-esque feeling, so I could see the back half of the season being more plot-based even if it'll never really 'feel' like a true blue season 3 that we would have gotten back in the day.

Flipyap

While Cooper might feel responsible for what happened, he doesn't belong with the Joneses. If everyone involved in this mess survives this show (and if Janey-E doesn't end up wanting to rip Coop's head off), I could see him trying to offer them some support from afar, but that's about it.
You wouldn't expect a long lost twin to take the father's place. Dougie might have started out as a copy, but he certainly became his own (fantastically dopey) person.

New Peaks today (or first thing in the morning for British me), plus various E3 things a-happenin'. Good times!

I wonder if we pick up with Gordon 'faces of stone' Cole and Albert this week.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am so glad I had a dumb. I was afraid I'd have to skip watching Twin Peaks live with y'all to go watch Bethesda's conference, but then I remembered it airs at 6 PM on Hulu in PST (and not 9 PST) and Bethesda's conference is 9 PM PST.

Today is a good day.

Flipyap

I am so glad I had a dumb. I was afraid I'd have to skip watching Twin Peaks live with y'all to go watch Bethesda's conference, but then I remembered it airs at 6 PM on Hulu in PST (and not 9 PST) and Bethesda's conference is 9 PM PST.

Today is a good day.
You'd seriously choose Bethesda's adstravaganza over brand new Twin Peaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom