• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

I haven't watched Inland Empire yet, but I finally watched Mulholland Drive in preparation of this thing and yeah, it's brilliant. Fire Walk with Me remains my favourite but it's a top contender.

And speaking of scary, those few horror scenes are something, might be the ones I've been the most affected by in any film. Those old people....

So looking at the image in the OP (that I made ;) ) I still haven't watched Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Dune, Wild at Heart, Straight Story and Inland Empire. I own them all on Blu-Ray except for Straight Story.

Dune, Wild at Heart and Straight Story aren't particularly appealing to me though... I'm thinking I'll go with Inland next because it's his most recent work?

Gilzor

The Red Letter Media Re:View of FWWM that went up this week shows a few of them, worth a watch.

News that Sky pulled the episodes brought me back but I'll be gone at the first sniff of a leak...

That Red Letter Media video is really interesting, especially their interpretations of the ring. I like the notion that Cooper is fallible and misunderstanding its purpose, however I've always read his words -- "Don't take the ring" -- to be Cooper telling Laura that by taking the ring, she seals her death. To not take it means inviting Bob into her, but that she'll remain alive. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I haven't watched Inland Empire yet, but I finally watched Mulholland Drive in preparation of this thing and yeah, it's brilliant. Fire Walk with Me remains my favourite but it's a top contender.

And speaking of scary, those few horror scenes are something, might be the ones I've been the most affected by in any film. Those old people....

So looking at the image in the OP (that I made ;) ) I still haven't watched Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Dune, Wild at Heart, Straight Story and Inland Empire. I own them all on Blu-Ray except for Straight Story.

Dune, Wild at Heart and Straight Story aren't particularly appealing to me though... I'm thinking I'll go with Inland next because it's his most recent work?

Mulholland Drive was a good call to watch before Twin Peaks. I thoroughly believe it'll be re-inserted back into the TP lore (it was originally supposed to be a TP spin-off series, but the reason I believe this is not because of actors but some filming locations they did).

I'll say this: There's more to Wild at Heart and Straight Story than you might expect. Both before I saw them didn't particularly interest me, but I ended up loving both of them. Wild At Heart has some stellar odd scenes, and honestly out of all of his movies reminded me the most of TP that isn't TP. Not the whole film, but specific scenes. Which I guess makes sense since he made WaH while Twin Peaks was airing.

Straight Story is very unlike any of his other films, but at the same time an incredibly lynchian movie. It's mostly character focused, it's about an old man with good and bad who meets with several other characters on a road journey to see his brother who's going to die soon. If you like how Lynch writes characters and dialogue, I would actually highly recommend this movie as it has some amazing dialogue bits, and though the film is called Straight Story is has both a straight way to interpret the whole movie (the 'Disney' version I would call it), but if you pay attention there's small hints towards something else, a much more crooked tale that is very Lynchian. I wouldn't say either is right or wrong, but I find it very interesting the film can have two completely different meanings to almost every scene depending which way you're looking at it.

Dune is only ehh to me though, my least favorite of Lynch's films personally.

Inland Empire is very grimey, dark, and his longest film. Probably his most inaccessible film too, but I love it. I warn, you will probably understand very little on your first watch.

Tough choice. Wild at Heart was made during Twin Peaks, so it fits along with that mood. It's a bug nutty crazy film. Includes a heaping helping of Twin Peaks actors. Jack Nance has a great scene in the film.

But Inland Empire is probably a good appetizer to what kind of mode Lynch is working in now a days. Plus Dern's performance is stunning.

Joqu

Mulholland Drive was a good call to watch before Twin Peaks. I thoroughly believe it'll be re-inserted back into the TP lore (it was originally supposed to be a TP spin-off series, but the reason I believe this is not because of actors but some filming locations they did).

I'll say this: There's more to Wild at Heart and Straight Story than you might expect. Both before I saw them didn't particularly interest me, but I ended up loving both of them. Wild At Heart has some stellar odd scenes, and honestly out of all of his movies reminded me the most of TP that isn't TP. Not the whole film, but specific scenes. Which I guess makes sense since he made WaH while Twin Peaks was airing.

Straight Story is very unlike any of his other films, but at the same time an incredibly lynchian movie. It's mostly character focused, it's about an old man with good and bad who meets with several other characters on a road journey to see his brother who's going to die soon. If you like how Lynch writes characters and dialogue, I would actually highly recommend this movie as it has some amazing dialogue bits, and though the film is called Straight Story is has both a straight way to interpret the whole movie (the 'Disney' version I would call it), but if you pay attention there's small hints towards something else, a much more crooked tale that is very Lynchian. I wouldn't say either is right or wrong, but I find it very interesting the film can have two completely different meanings to almost every scene depending which way you're looking at it.

Dune is only ehh to me though, my least favorite of Lynch's films personally.

Inland Empire is very grimey, dark, and his longest film. Probably his most inaccessible film too, but I love it. I warn, you will probably understand very little on your first watch.

You've certainly made those two sound a whole lot more appealing to me than before, which is great.. Not that I've ever thought of them as being supposedly bad movies, but I'm actually looking forward to watching them now. Thanks!

It's only Dune that sounds iffy whenever it comes up, but I think I'll be forgiven for thinking so.

Tough choice. Wild at Heart was made during Twin Peaks, so it fits along with that mood. It's a bug nutty crazy film. Includes a heaping helping of Twin Peaks actors. Jack Nance has a great scene in the film.

But Inland Empire is probably a good appetizer to what kind of mode Lynch is working in now a days. Plus Dern's performance is stunning.

Yeah, I hadn't looked at Wild at Heart from that perspective yet, it does make it more interesting to me. But I think I'll prioritize Inland Empire for now, I plan on watching a lot of Lynch in the coming weeks anyway.

Honestly, it's Eraserhead I feel guilty about, I can't believe I haven't watched that yet. Maybe I'll sneak it in too, I'm staying up late for Twin Peaks after all. But I don't think I'll be able to do Wild, Inland and Eraserhead. I'll need some breaks.

That Red Letter Media video is really interesting, especially their interpretations of the ring. I like the notion that Cooper is fallible and misunderstanding its purpose, however I've always read his words -- "Don't take the ring" -- to be Cooper telling Laura that by taking the ring, she seals her death. To not take it means inviting Bob into her, but that she'll remain alive. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows!

Regarding Coop/Ring:

Which Cooper is it though? The scene is in the Red Room, so it could be the doppelganger.

The Secret History book brings that ring up a lot, so I'm going to be in shock if it doesn't show up in the premiere.

Joqu

Regarding Coop/Ring:

Which Cooper is it though? The scene is in the Red Room, so it could be the doppelganger.

The Secret History book brings that ring up a lot, so I'm going to be in shock if it doesn't show up in the premiere.

Yeah, I don't know about the premiere specifically but I'm pretty sure the ring will play a role in the series considering Secret History + Lynch's recent comments about FWWM.

I'm pretty stoked about that, I said it in the other thread but FWWM lore is some of my favorite Twin Peaks stuff.

Sorcerer

Inland feels like David said fuck it, lets just throw every Lynchism together kind of like a greatest hits and see what happens as if he knew this might his last movie for a while.
Love the show about the Rabbits though. If I remember that correctly.

Dusk Golem

FIRST NEW TWIN PEAKS IN 26 YEARS AIRS IN 13 HOURS

While I'm excited and it's been on my mind constantly for the last day or so, I'll be honest I probably won't register this fully until I'm a few minutes into watching the first episode.

Basically it'll probably be like, "Holy shit, I'm watching new Twin Peaks 25 years after the last filmed work (counting FWWM0 and the first proper filmwork David Lynch has done in 11 years."

Ran rp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlGtcW1Qg8
The Pink Room is so sleazy, I love it. Best music piece up there with the theme song from TP.

tumblr_oq6xlb7B6f1su84coo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3d9s4ojV61r87tiqo1_500.jpg

Balb

I know this has likely been answered before but if I subscribe to the online streaming service can I watch it live at 9 EST like the cable subscription?

Gilzor

Regarding Coop/Ring:

Don't the doppelgängers all have blue eyes? Or is that just how they appear to themselves? Or am I reading too much into that?

Just watched Fire Walk With Me after finishing up the last 2 eps tonight. Damn, the film is great! Seems crazy to me that it was so widely panned.

Javier23

Banned
Just watched Fire Walk With Me after finishing up the last 2 eps tonight. Damn, the film is great! Seems crazy to me that it was so widely panned.
I like it too but I can only imagine what someone who walked in not having seen the show would think if they managed to finish it without being bored to tears.

Don't the doppelgängers all have blue eyes? Or is that just how they appear to themselves? Or am I reading too much into that?

Well:

'Evil' Coop at the end of the series doesn't have strange eyes while at the Great Northern.

But let's not worry ourselves with such nonsense as consistencies!

Dantis

Hey guys, I stopped watching Twin Peaks a couple of episodes after the reveal of the killer. How important is it that I watch the rest before starting S3, do we think?
I'm a huge fan of Lynch, but his and Frost's lesser involvement felt really obvious to me, and the season ran way too long.

I'm thinking of just skipping to the finale and then watching Fire Walk With Me.

Hmm? How? From the mistake Sky TV made in Italy?
Yep, I'm from Italy :D The second one failed to download unfortunately.

Without spoilers obviously, how many small mexican Chihuahuas out of five would you give the first episode?
Five small mexican chihuahuas, without a doubt (Not an actual spoiler)
Whatever that means.

Hey guys, I stopped watching Twin Peaks a couple of episodes after the reveal of the killer. How important is it that I watch the rest before starting S3, do we think?
I'm a huge fan of Lynch, but his and Frost's lesser involvement felt really obvious to me, and the season ran way too long.

I'm thinking of just skipping to the finale and then watching Fire Walk With Me.
I mean, I wouldn't recommend skipping episodes entirely, but if you really want to watch the new series I'd guess the final episode and FWWM would be more than good enough. Maybe read some synopsis of the episodes in between so you get an idea of what else happened.

Season 2 is a slog, but necessary. And worth it by the end.

I think you'll be alright just doing that.

Well:

'Evil' Coop at the end of the series doesn't have strange eyes while at the Great Northern.

But let's not worry ourselves with such nonsense as consistencies!

I think they only have strange eyes while appearing in the Black Lodge/Red Room. We never saw Leland have those eyes either until his Black Lodge appearance.
The Cooper that tells Laura to "not take the ring" is acting too normal (speech, demeanor) for me to believe it's a doppelganger.

Or, you could be right. I see it making more sense from your perspective than it does to me.

They only have the weird eyes when in the black lodge.

I still can't figure out why Cooper told Laura not to take the ring

grumpy

Not sure if this has been posted already, but here's a page filled with select comments from the original Twin Peaks usenet group back from when the series was first broadcasted.

http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2014/11/twin-peaks-on-internetin-1990-alttvtwin.html

What's really surprising is how many people on that group managed to guess/suspect
Leland's incestuous affair with Laura and eventually the true identity of the killer,
all the way back from early season 1.

From a post reviewing the first episode of season 2:

* The interminable opening scene with the clueless old geezer hovering over the felled and bleeding Cooper is atrocious, nearly unwatchable! I haven't had so much fun with Lynch since ERASERHEAD, which I saw in 1978 and clearly remember one-third of the audience walking out on about ten minutes in. Go get em, tiger. Of course ABC isn't in the business of supporting 'cult classic' charity cases with 10 shares, but you don't really want to be doing this show three years from now anyway.

* Beware all second seasons.

---

People even expressed their fears regarding the fate of the show after the resolution of the LP murder story:

(Bob Kelley) writes...

"This is my greatest fear...what happens when WKLP is solved? I just read TV Guide's Cheers n Jeers and they are pushing for a solving. Twin Peaks will die if we find a killer for Laura Palmer. Just no way for Agent Cooper to stick around."

Joqu

You obviously need to watch the finale, and I think your enjoyment of the finale will be greatly amplified by watching the rest of season 2. It's still a finale to that stuff you'd be skipping. I also think there are still some really good parts in that season 2 dip that make it worth watching, and that the not so good parts can be enjoyable in their own way.

That's what makes most people say watching it all is a must. I won't go that far, if you straight up can't do it, yes, in terms of story importance you'll probably be fine with the finale and FWWM, and maybe some recaps. But I think that's for you to decide. Have you hit such a wall? If so, yeah, I guess you do skip it since it'll be better than *nothing*, but if not I'd really give it another shot.

Five small mexican chihuahuas, without a doubt (Not an actual spoiler)
Whatever that means.

Excellent. That's all I needed to read!

giphy.gif

To be honest I thought it was just Cole being Cole... but after the beginning of FWWM I presume it's code for something? Anyone got any ideas?

Not sure if this has been posted already, but here's a page filled with select comments from the original Twin Peaks usenet group back from when the series was first broadcasted.

http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2014/11/twin-peaks-on-internetin-1990-alttvtwin.html

What's really surprising is how many people on that group managed to guess/suspect
Leland's incestuous affair with Laura and eventually the true identity of the killer,
all the way back from early season 1.

From a post reviewing the first episode of season 2:

* The interminable opening scene with the clueless old geezer hovering over the felled and bleeding Cooper is atrocious, nearly unwatchable! I haven't had so much fun with Lynch since ERASERHEAD, which I saw in 1978 and clearly remember one-third of the audience walking out on about ten minutes in. Go get em, tiger. Of course ABC isn't in the business of supporting 'cult classic' charity cases with 10 shares, but you don't really want to be doing this show three years from now anyway.

* Beware all second seasons.

Leland acts so fucking weird I'm not that surprised that some people saw him as a red flag early on.

I'm not going to lie, I had a similar reaction when I first watched the season 2 opening scene. I didn't think it was atrocious, but it's one of the oddest moments of the show for sure lol

Dusk Golem

While I'd personally still watch it, one thing I can suggest is in Season 2 if you must, skip any scene James appears in after the Killer's reveal. His subplot is not only the worst, but I would say it literally doesn't tie into anything else, and I would be incredibly surprised if it played ANY role in the new season.

James leaves them all to go to California for his mother, that's the only maybe important bit.

Joqu

Excellent. That's all I needed to read!

giphy.gif

To be honest I thought it was just Cole being Cole... but after the beginning of FWWM I presume it's code for something? Anyone got any ideas?

I dunno man. I don't think it's code, and I think I like it more that way y'know? I much prefer Cole to say eccentric stuff like that, and for his eccentricities to reflect in his code.

Dusk Golem

"I'm a one-armed duck fucker"

fuck you you motherfuckin heelocopter

"When we look at you, we see an asshole. DUMB TURD"

I love that it sounds like Lynch himself just decided to vent out insults to someone as singing and dancing ants. The whole series of Dumbland just makes me feel like Lynch was really tired of stupidity and just slammed his face into a wall with Flash, but the ant episode is by far my favorite (and an interesting conclusion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom