• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Banned
The pilot is a masterpiece. Cooper's entrance after 30 minutes of pain and despair is one of the best moment of the show. After that you're cleverly introduced to all the relevant places and people while keeping the momentum, between the diary, the Town Hall, the train car investigation, Donna's eloping... You get some Julee Cruise, you get some classic Pete, some great little moment like the deer head on the table or the flickering lamp at the morgue. Some deadpan comedy like Cooper asking for another donut once they lost Donna's trail. And a scary moment with Bob's reveal.

The only thing I'm not so hot on is the rather weak cliffhanger. But I guess you could refute all that if you think it was boring.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You're defense is nice though, can you be my Twin Peaks psychiatrist?

Sure.

qBULFQXi9R9Ty.webp

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I kind of liked Jacoby in the original series, but I never loved him really. Yet for some reason, I'm a lot more excited to see him return in the new season than I would've ever expected. I realized this when they released the shot of him in the new season a week or so ago, for some reason seeing him made me far more excited than I would've ever guessed.

Jacoby can do weird things golf balls, have a super love for Hawaii, and tell me all of human's problems are of a sexual nature anytime.

tumblr_m9gc7prfoz1rbdugbo1_400.gif

Of course I wake up the earliest today of all days -_-

It's xmas morning without being able to open your presents for what seems like an entire day. This wait is gonna be somethin.

Probably already mentioned but saw the new intro got leaked, not watchin that shit early. Hey Showtime why don't you just head those leaks off at the pass and drop the premiere now thanks.

Zach

I apologize if this has been covered, but is there any downside in using the 30-day trial as opposed to the 7-day trial? I have both an Amazon Fire TV Stick and Amazon Prime, so it seems like I'd want to do the 30-day trial for the trial period, and then if I keep Showtime, cancel that before it charges me $10.99, and then start the cheaper $8.99 Amazon Prime subscription.

Right?

Dusk Golem

I'm playin with fire (heh) lookin at live tweets, thankfully this individual kept it classy:

Whoever dropped the ball at Sky Italy gonna get a visit from Mr Eddy.

Try not to post too much in this thread, we all said a few pages back not to discuss it here as many want to go blind into the premiere tonight. It's only 9 hours away, and want to keep the topic clean until the premiere.

Though they are lucky since while I haven't been actively looking it doesn't seem like there's many big spoilers or many leaks going online at least as far as I can tell. KEEP TWIN PEAKS BLIND!!

(nice bit of impressions though.)

Dusk Golem

Actually, on that topic, HOLY SHIT IT'S ONLY NINE HOURS AWAY.

Time for me to conk myself out and take a nap.

The Secret History question:

So Gordon clearly wanted Tamara Preston to carefully read through the dossier for reasons other than 'figuring out who The Archivist is', right? Because it isn't anything that needs deductive reasoning. The final chapter has it plainly written out by the Archivist himself. Just seems weird.

Dusk Golem

Anyone seen the international pilot with its self-contained ending?

Yup, first saw it on YouTube (yeah, i know...) years ago, but saw it again on the recent blu-ray.

I understand why it sexists and find it fascinating. They did basically reuse a lot of the cut extended pilot scenes in episode 3 of the main series anyway, but it's fascinating to see how it was all reused.

Try not to post too much in this thread, we all said a few pages back not to discuss it here as many want to go blind into the premiere tonight. It's only 9 hours away, and want to keep the topic clean until the premiere.

Though they are lucky since while I haven't been actively looking it doesn't seem like there's many big spoilers or many leaks going online at least as far as I can tell. KEEP TWIN PEAKS BLIND!!

(nice bit of impressions though.)

Oh I agree completely, would never post more than impressions this close to the premiere. Ya know if there had been a full script leak or a treatment to slip through the cracks during the period of filming in 2015 not sure if I could have helped myself from taking a peek considering the release would still be so far away, but this close to it all I absolutely want less info. General mood impressions are fine ofc :)

Menome

Just to check, given the on-demand-for-some-people nature of Episodes 3&4, are we only discussing spoilers for Episodes 1&2 as of tonight? I just want to be sure I don't pop into the thread and accidentally find out Cooper has laser-eyes or somesuch in Episode 4.

Just to check, given the on-demand-for-some-people nature of Episodes 3&4, are we only discussing spoilers for Episodes 1&2 as of tonight? I just want to be sure I don't pop into the thread and accidentally find out Cooper has laser-eyes or somesuch in Episode 4.

Correct. 3&4 discussion will be spoiler tagged, 1&2 fair game.

Dusk Golem

Can discuss 1 & 2 openly in this thread without spoiler tags, discuss 3 & 4 only in this thread with spoiler tags until they premiere next week on TV.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The RLM re:View of Fire Walk with Me is quite a good watch to get back into the Twin Peaks groove. I also hope Season 3 isn't torn apart for not being super quirky like the original run. I have a feeling its going to be quite dark.

The RLM re:View of Fire Walk with Me is quite a good watch to get back into the Twin Peaks groove. I also hope Season 3 isn't torn apart for not being super quirky like the original run. I have a feeling its going to be quite dark.

I absolutely think it'll be darker but still think the quirkiness will be there, albeit perhaps in less goofy ways (looking at you lil nicky). The fact that early impressions indicate a good deal of laughs is a positive sign. I think we're in for something honoring the tone of the original while bringing a lot of fresh ideas to the table, can't bloody wait.

eLGee

So Gordon clearly wanted Tamara Preston to carefully read through the dossier for reasons other than 'figuring out who The Archivist is', right? Because it isn't anything that needs deductive reasoning. The final chapter has it plainly written out by the Archivist himself. Just seems weird.

Yes, I agree.

hydruxo

I don't have work tomorrow so I'm gonna try and binge all 4 episodes at once. We'll see though lol. At the very least I'll watch 2, maybe 3.

LProtag

My housemates and I all have work in the morning, so we're going to do ep 1+2 tonight and then 3+4 tomorrow evening. I'm super excited, but as a teacher there's no way I want to go into work on ~4-5 hours of sleep.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, I need to watch FWWM and Missing Pieces today. I knew S3 was today, but I still couldn't believe it and I procrastinated.
If you're short on time, put off Missing Pieces till later. It almost definitely won't be essential viewing before this season.

oatmeal

Banned
Show time app has a great super trailer on it.

But at the end it says "PARTS 1-4" available and then May 21 on the next screen.

What's up with thay?

Edit
Oh fuck you are all talking about it.

If you're short on time, put off Missing Pieces till later. It almost definitely won't be essential viewing before this season.

I think I have time for both before the premiere, but I'll prioritize FWWM. I watched like the first 20 minutes of FWWM late one night then got scared by a Laura Palmer scene and noped out.

Flipyap

Dune, Wild at Heart and Straight Story aren't particularly appealing to me though... I'm thinking I'll go with Inland next because it's his most recent work?
Straight Story is top tier Lynch. Don't let the lack of weirdness dissuade you. I kept putting off watching it for a long time because it didn't sound like what I want/expect from Lynch, and it turned out to be one of my favorites.

I don't like Wild at Heart as a whole, but there's still a few scenes I'd consider absolute Lynch classics. You'll definitely enjoy the Twin Peaks cast member cameos.

While I'd personally still watch it, one thing I can suggest is in Season 2 if you must, skip any scene James appears in after the Killer's reveal. His subplot is not only the worst, but I would say it literally doesn't tie into anything else, and I would be incredibly surprised if it played ANY role in the new season.

James leaves them all to go to California for his mother, that's the only maybe important bit.
This is a bad meme. It's the only Flannel Era subplot that's still tied to the core of the show - the impact Laura Palmer's murder had on the people of Twin Peaks. I'd rather look at James's dumb face than watch Audrey and Ben turn into completely new and inferior characters.

That Red Letter Media video is really interesting, especially their interpretations of the ring. I like the notion that Cooper is fallible and misunderstanding its purpose, however I've always read his words -- "Don't take the ring" -- to be Cooper telling Laura that by taking the ring, she seals her death. To not take it means inviting Bob into her, but that she'll remain alive. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows!
I can never figure out the purpose of the ring (I keep alternating between it damning the person, giving them some degree of control over the spirits and granting them protection), but there's nothing about the Cooper scene that makes it look like he's mistaken. Lynch frames that shot like it's the word of God.
I really hope he wasn't wrong there because, hoo boy, the new show is already going to have the hard task of redeeming Cooper as our special special agent after Season 2. Sometimes it feels like the town ruined Cooper. He starts out as the most brilliant cop in the world and by the middle of Season 2 he's pretty much incompetent.
I mean, Christ, Coop.
iUH0bC9.gif

The whole thing felt like Gordon's low-key way of introducing T.P. to the supernatural elements of their world (and maybe some kind of test), but her complete lack of reaction to the simplicity of her task just makes it look like sloppy writing on Frost's part.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Was hoping to get to watch this evening after that Italian leak happened but looks like no one managed to rip it before they took it down again, ah well, Now TV tomorrow night it is.

Joqu

Straight Story is top tier Lynch. Don't let the lack of weirdness dissuade you. I kept putting off watching it for a long time because it didn't sound like what I want/expect from Lynch, and it turned out to be one of my favorites.

I don't like Wild at Heart as a whole, but there's still a few scenes I'd consider absolute Lynch classics. You'll definitely enjoy the Twin Peaks cast member cameos.

Thanks. I won't put them off, they're on the list. Just a bit lower than some other stuff, but I'm planning to have watched it all in the next few weeks.

Turn in your badge, sir.
:p

Jack Nance makes that movie.

For those looking for some Badalamenti-esque tunes to get you in the mood, found a good group on Spotify the other day, Bohren and Der Club of Gore. They wear the influence on their sleeves, particularly inspired by his work on FWWM.

Give it a whirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom