• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think it was comedic when watching the first time. I thought he put his hand before his face because he was sad/horrified. But looking at that gif it looks more like a face palm.

he was definitely sad about it (as he should be, that shit was horrific. its not a facepalm in the "smh" sense) but something about his wave to the kid and then that right after. that was Room-tier comedy for me haha.

and I can't really say unintentional in this case though cuz Lynch tends to provoke humor out of shocking scenes fairly often (for me anyways)

Every single extra during that "kid getting run over" scene was either hamming it up something terrible or just bad like Mr. Facepalm up there.

I know the original run had these weird, over-acting moments but they felt like they had a purpose. The ones in this new series just gives the impression they hired bad actors/extras.

fenners

Every single extra during that "kid getting run over" scene was either hamming it up something terrible or just bad like Mr. Facepalm up there.

I know the original run had these weird, over-acting moments but they felt like they had a purpose. The ones in this new series just gives the impression they hired bad actors/extras.

It was intentional in this case, I think - the only person who stepped up, show real emotional empathy for the woman was Harry Dean Stanton.

HotHamBoy

Felt completely intentional, are you serious?

Yeah I super agree with this. I'm a massive Lynch fan, but found this to be uncharacteristically bad. There's intentional weird or hammy performances but these felt way more like terrible extra acting than intentional hamming it up.

I think about Inland Empires scene with the homeless people (the one with Terry Crews), as an anchor point to a scene of extras conveying similar emotion insanely better than what's happening in this episode.

Great episode either way, but yikes, that moment was bad.

im loving watching this, i am, but damn does it make me wish i could just binge the season.

last weeks episode was a little too boring for me, which would be fine if i had another episode to throw on top

It was intentional in this case, I think - the only person who stepped up, show real emotional empathy for the woman was Harry Dean Stanton.

Was so happy he made an appearance, saw on Wiki he's 90. He was great in FWWM.

Felt completely intentional, are you serious?

I know, I know. It's just... you can usually tell when someone has been told to "overact" a scene for effect, but every now and again something will happen (like the Sheriff's wife's first scene) and my brain goes "Is she supposed to be that bad?".

Yeah I super agree with this. I'm a massive Lynch fan, but found this to be uncharacteristically bad. There's intentional weird or hammy performances but these felt way more like terrible extra acting than intentional hamming it up.

I think about Inland Empires scene with the homeless people (the one with Terry Crews), as an anchor point to similar scenes of extras conveying similar emotion insanely better than what's happening in this episode.

Great episode either way, but yikes, that moment was bad.

That's what I mean. Every now and again something pops up that just feels "off".

PolishQ

Ooooooh girl we finally have taglines for parts 9-12 !

Part 9:
This is the chair.
Part 10:
Laura is the one.
Part 11:
There's fire where you are going.
Part 12:
Let's rock.

AND THEY'RE REALLY EXCITING

hamchan

The little guy running around stabbing people made me laugh.

Also why is this mother just letting her kid run across roads like that without looking, goddamn.

PizzaFace

Banned
Ooooooh girl we finally have taglines for parts 9-12 !

Part 9:
This is the chair.
Part 10:
Laura is the one.
Part 11:
There's fire where you are going.
Part 12:
Let's rock.

AND THEY'RE REALLY EXCITING

Those last 3, mmmmmmmmmm

Something I was theorizing about. If Seyfried's character is Bobby's daughter then maybe her boyfriend is Mike's son, and his interview where he got shat on was actually with his dad. It would make sense how they got together if Bobby and Mike remained friends after all of these years.

This is of course before someone replies to me with the character's last names and prove me wrong.

Steven Burnett, so no unless Mike (Nelson) took a spouse's last name

I know, I know. It's just... you can usually tell when someone has been told to "overact" a scene for effect, but every now and again something will happen (like the Sheriff's wife's first scene) and my brain goes "Is she supposed to be that bad?".

That's what I mean. Every now and again something pops up that just feels "off".

It's all intentional. Lynch shot this thing for 8 months. And has edited it for longer than that. You are seeing what is intended. Someone from a Twin Peaks fansite was at the shoot for that scene. It was all day, 8 hours. I think Lynch had the opportunity to get different reaction shots.

I think it might just be that it is new to you so you resist it. You haven't seen something exactly like it in the show previously so it rings false. You have seen things close to it, so you expect the same reaction. But Lynch doesn't care about that. He also had the music for that scene before they shot it. So he might have been listening to it for that scene. Maybe even playing it for the cast and that led them to act a certain way.

It's just different is all. Not good or bad. Doesn't mean you have to like it or not. But being in denial about it's intent isn't doing anything.

hydruxo

Well, he is not really Dougie is he, as Dougie himself was send to the Lodge and died basically. Cooper is basically himself with a wiped mind it seems.

Yeah but for the time being even Dale thinks he's Dougie Jones though. He doesn't remember that he's Dale yet.

Futureman

I've loved every episode so much so far, though I'll admit #6 is starting to feel a bit like "Come on Coop!"

I trust in Lynch though and feel it's going to result in a great payoff.

eXistor

I'd love an option when it gets released on Bluray to play the entire show as one big movie. rouighly 17 hours of uninterrupted Twin Peaks...hmmmm. I haven't really posted in this thread yet, but I just wanna say this show is damn good and I can't wait to see what's in store. The cool thing is, there's no way to predict what's gonna happen.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sorry if this has been covered I caught up last night, I was excited to read a theory on reddit saying that the pages Hawk found are from Laura's diary (guessed that much myself) and what they contain is Annie's message to Laura from FWWM which was to those that don't remember:

"My name is Annie, and I've been with Laura and Dale. The good Dale is in the Lodge, and he can't leave. Write it in your diary."

Add in the key which should be making it's way to Twin Peaks, Hawk might finally start getting somewhere with his investigation in 3 or 4 episodes when they next address what it is he's found.

Maligna

Banned
Come on people, you really think Lynch directed those extras, "Now I want you all to be bad actors on purpose! I'm making a statement you see! I'm a genius!"

Lynch doesn't often make statements. At least not as often as people seem to think he does. He just does shit that he finds visually appealing. When will people learn this about him and stop assuming he directs as if there's a purpose behind every little thing happening on screen.

No, these people were just bad actors.

What happened to Hank in the end? Can't recall.

He's just popped up in Better Call Saul.

Book says he died in prison.

Flipyap

What happened to Hank in the end? Can't recall.

He's just popped up in Better Call Saul.
The Secret History of Twin Peaks spoiler:
He got shanked by a Renault cousin and died in prison. Which is a shame, because he'd get out in time for the new show's premiere.

It's all intentional. Lynch shot this thing for 8 months. And has edited it for longer than that. You are seeing what is intended. Someone from a Twin Peaks fansite was at the shoot for that scene. It was all day, 8 hours. I think Lynch had the opportunity to get different reaction shots.
(...)
It's just different is all. Not good or bad. Doesn't mean you have to like it or not. But being in denial about it's intent isn't doing anything.
That's kinda shocking if true, but there's just no way that's the case for the entire show.

This show often looks obviously rushed, as if Lynch was too often satisfied with the first take, only to discover in editing that he filmed the sloppiest reaction shots or didn't film enough, which is forcing him to use some seriously awful editing tricks to "fix it in post" - using slow motion and playing footage backwards to create different reaction shots, or adding that weird distortion effect and cartoon blood splatter when Phyllis dies.
This is already my favorite TV show in decades, I shouldn't need to make excuses for it just because it's sloppy in a... different way.

Come on people, you really think Lynch directed those extras, "Now I want you all to be bad actors on purpose! I'm making a statement you see! I'm a genius!"

Lynch doesn't often make statements. At least not as often as people seem to think he does. He just does shit that he finds visually appealing. When will people learn this about him and stop assuming he directs as if there's a purpose behind every little thing happening on screen.

No, these people were just bad.

Missing my point entirely. I didn't say there was a grand purpose behind it. Just saying he used the footage he wanted to use. He's had years to consider that scene. He could have used no reaction shots at all. He didn't have to cut to those extras. But he did. It's not about being a genius. It's just a choice he made. If could have made an infinite amount of other choices. What we have in screen is what he chose. He wanted it there.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that Lynch's ideas of what is is good is different than yours. Time and time again he releases art that upsets people, yes even his fans. This isn't new. Lynch likes certain styles that aren't "normal", that many people think are over the top or bad. He actually likes that stuff. He isn't serving some purpose. He's showing things he likes. I don't think he intellectualizes his choices that much. He goes on feel. Does it feel right to him? If so he uses it.

Do you really think he put anything here he didn't want to?

big ander

Sorry if this has been covered I caught up last night, I was excited to read a theory on reddit saying that the pages Hawk found are from Laura's diary (guessed that much myself) and what they contain is Annie's message to Laura from FWWM which was to those that don't remember:

"My name is Annie, and I've been with Laura and Dale. The good Dale is in the Lodge, and he can't leave. Write it in your diary."

Add in the key which should be making it's way to Twin Peaks, Hawk might finally start getting somewhere with his investigation in 3 or 4 episodes when they next address what it is he's found.

the only problem with this is Laura had already given the secret diary to Harold (which she did because pages had been torn out by BOB Leland) when Annie appeared to her and gave her the message.

Someone posted a close-up of the pages though and you can see the name "Annie." So it must involve her somehow. but if it is Laura's diary I'm curious to see how Lynch and Frost have imagined that happened

PolishQ

the only problem with this is Laura had already given the secret diary to Harold (which she did because pages had been torn out by BOB Leland) when Annie appeared to her and gave her the message.

Someone posted a close-up of the pages though and you can see the name "Annie." So it must involve her somehow. but if it is Laura's diary I'm curious to see how Lynch and Frost have imagined that happened

Laura could have written it in any number of places other than the diary. The pages looked folded up as if they were a letter that had been sent in the mail...

big ander

Laura could have written it in any number of places other than the diary. The pages looked folded up as if they were a letter that had been sent in the mail...

Sure...but who did she send it to, how and why did they put it inside a stall door at the sheriff's station (could it have been Gerard when he had his freakout?), so on. There's just a lot they have to do to (semi-)retcon this, I'm curious how all the details are going to come together

Sure...but who did she send it to, how and why did they put it inside a stall door at the sheriff's station (could it have been Gerard when he had his freakout?), so on. There's just a lot they have to do to (semi-)retcon this, I'm curious how all the details are going to come together

I'd guess Gerad would have done it. Probably an opening in the original series that, that Frost and Lynch found where that could have happened.

But then again with how insane this new series is, Cooper could have been the actual bathroom stall door at one point, and the pages that somehow were in his pocket are now left inside the stall door when he teleported somewhere else. ;)

I'm trying to come up with a mental list of who the pages could be sent to that also would have had access to the bathroom stall.

1. Any staff member of the sheriff's dept. - Unlikely, they would have entered it as evidence rather than hide it.
2. Cooper - Not possible as he had not arrived at Twin Peaks yet when Laura was alive. (unless there is some sort of time travel/teleport thing we haven't been shown yet)
3. Major Briggs - Maybe but unlikely. Laura was dating the major's son, and maybe she thought he would be able to help in some way. But when would have he been able to hide something in the sheriff's restroom?
4. Someone who had been arrested at some point. Maybe, but again unlikely. Anyone who had been arrested probably would have had their pockets emptied before being given a bathroom break (can't remember if the jail cells had toilets or not).
5. Anyone else that Laura trusted that may have had reason to visit the sheriff. I think this is the most likely, but also produces the longest list. Dr. Jacoby comes to mind but it could also be like twenty other people.

PolishQ

I'm trying to come up with a mental list of who the pages could be sent to that also would have had access to the bathroom stall.

1. Any staff member of the sheriff's dept. - Unlikely, they would have entered it as evidence rather than hide it.
2. Cooper - Not possible as he had not arrived at Twin Peaks yet when Laura was alive. (unless there is some sort of time travel/teleport thing we haven't been shown yet)
3. Major Briggs - Maybe but unlikely. Laura was dating the major's son, and maybe she thought he would be able to help in some way. But when would have he been able to hide something in the sheriff's restroom?
4. Someone who had been arrested at some point. Maybe, but again unlikely. Anyone who had been arrested probably would have had their pockets emptied before being given a bathroom break (can't remember if the jail cells had toilets or not).
5. Anyone else that Laura trusted that may have had reason to visit the sheriff. I think this is the most likely, but also produces the longest list. Dr. Jacoby comes to mind but it could also be like twenty other people.
We should also think about WHY they were hidden. It doesn't seem like an accident. Some possibilities:

1. A suspect in Laura's murder hid them because they would have been incriminating evidence.
2. Someone connected to the Lodge (BOB, for example) didn't want Annie's message to be received.
3. Someone connected to the Lodge (MIKE or the Log Lady, for example) wanted Annie's message to be received but not until the appropriate time.

Options 1 and 2 don't make a ton of sense, because why wouldn't you just destroy the pages? Even if the person had them on their person and needed to ditch them in a hurry, why not tear them up and flush them? So I'm actually leaning towards Option 3: the pages were hidden specifically so that they could be found in the future when they could do the most good.

We should also think about WHY they were hidden. It doesn't seem like an accident. Some possibilities:

1. A suspect in Laura's murder hid them because they would have been incriminating evidence.
2. Someone connected to the Lodge (BOB, for example) didn't want Annie's message to be received.
3. Someone connected to the Lodge (MIKE or the Log Lady, for example) wanted Annie's message to be received but not until the appropriate time.

Options 1 and 2 don't make a ton of sense, because why wouldn't you just destroy the pages? Even if the person had them on their person and needed to ditch them in a hurry, why not tear them up and flush them? So I'm actually leaning towards Option 3: the pages were hidden specifically so that they could be found in the future when they could do the most good.

I agree, option 3 makes the most sense. I hope we don't have to wait many more episode to find out, even if it is a lot of fun speculating in the meantime.

Airola

Well,
he's driving a car
. That says a lot in its own.

That means we'll get one episode of Coop learning to get in the car.
One episode of Coop learning how to start the car.
One episode of Coop learning to use the clutch.
One episode of Coop learning to use the gas pedal.
One episode of Coop learning to use the brake pedal.
One episode of Coop learning how to use the steering wheel.
etc
etc
etc
etc
etc
Until in the final episode he drives the car on his own..... and still tries to learn how to check out the rear view mirror.

Airola

Missing my point entirely. I didn't say there was a grand purpose behind it. Just saying he used the footage he wanted to use. He's had years to consider that scene. He could have used no reaction shots at all. He didn't have to cut to those extras. But he did. It's not about being a genius. It's just a choice he made. If could have made an infinite amount of other choices. What we have in screen is what he chose. He wanted it there.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that Lynch's ideas of what is is good is different than yours. Time and time again he releases art that upsets people, yes even his fans. This isn't new. Lynch likes certain styles that aren't "normal", that many people think are over the top or bad. He actually likes that stuff. He isn't serving some purpose. He's showing things he likes. I don't think he intellectualizes his choices that much. He goes on feel. Does it feel right to him? If so he uses it.

Do you really think he put anything here he didn't want to?

And sometimes the things he likes to do are just bad.

This goes to every other director too. Some directors like what they see but to many viewers it looks like bad acting. And often it is bad acting. The fact that the director likes it doesn't make the acting any better.

There's no need to defend Lynch for these reaction shots.
They are what they are. And they are something that look amateurish to me and to many others. Lynch wanting that to be on screen doesn't change that at all.

06iy2q4.gif

This is the only guy I thought did a piss poor job in this scene.

"Now I want you to react to seeing a kid getting hit and run before your very eyes."
*acts like he just spilled soda over his new sofa and he needs the mighty thirst sponge clean it up*

I thought every other extra was fine.

Airola

This is the only guy I thought did a piss poor job in this scene.

"Now I want you to react to seeing a kid getting hit and run before your very eyes."
*acts like he just spilled soda over his new sofa and he needs the mighty thirst sponge clean it up*

I thought every other extra was fine.

I thought he didn't actually react to seeing a kid getting hit, but to the fact that he had just shown the kid the gesture to tell him to go ahead.

It's still not a good performance but it looks a bit more fitting as a shameful reaction instead of being sad or horrified having seen a kid being run over.

I thought he didn't actually react to seeing a kid getting hit, but to the fact that he had just shown the kid the gesture to tell him to go ahead.

It's still not a good performance but it looks a bit more fitting as a shameful reaction instead of being sad or horrified having seen a kid being run over.
I agree, I think it was more of "what have I done/it's my fault" rather than "I'm sad/it's horrible". But still, it could have been better.

Futureman

I'd love an option when it gets released on Bluray to play the entire show as one big movie. rouighly 17 hours of uninterrupted Twin Peaks...hmmmm. I haven't really posted in this thread yet, but I just wanna say this show is damn good and I can't wait to see what's in store. The cool thing is, there's no way to predict what's gonna happen.

So far I think every episode has ended with a band at the Bang Bang (well I think one ep had the band play a song and then a minute or so of story afterwards). I as well hope Lynch edits everything together into one big epic movie, but I think you'll see have a sense where the episodes originally cut off.

also, the band at the end of episode 6 was weird... I actually know of Sharon Van Etten and I'm a big fan, so it was odd seeing her play one of her songs in the TP world. I'll admit it took me out of the world a little.

Airola

So far I think every episode has ended with a band at the Bang Bang (well I think one ep had the band play a song and then a minute or so of story afterwards).

Yeah, episode 5 didn't end with a band but with Dougie/Coop at the statue.

Also, episode 1 doesn't end with a band either. It ends on the record player in wherever Coop and ????? were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom