• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, episode 5 didn't end with a band but with Dougie/Coop at the statue.

Also, episode 1 doesn't end with a band either. It ends on the record player in wherever Coop and ????? were.

I think for some viewers the whole two hours was one episode so it did end on the chromatics performance

Xrenity

This is the only guy I thought did a piss poor job in this scene.

"Now I want you to react to seeing a kid getting hit and run before your very eyes."
*acts like he just spilled soda over his new sofa and he needs the mighty thirst sponge clean it up*
I thought that was on purpose.

Had me laughing.

liquidtmd

Banned
Ha! I had no idea this was a Season 1 actor cameo (this show has the best Franks).

tSoOp1s.png

That's damn good

Are you talking about the guy in the truck?
Yeah, the guy in the truck that waved them through.
I thought he didn't actually react to seeing a kid getting hit, but to the fact that he had just shown the kid the gesture to tell him to go ahead.

It's still not a good performance but it looks a bit more fitting as a shameful reaction instead of being sad or horrified having seen a kid being run over.

Yeah, I get he's supposed to feel a sense of guilt. But it still seems like he feels more guilty that he spilled water on someone's carpet or something.

Also, is it weird that I find Chad's mocking of Truman's dead son more despicable than Richard running over a kid? For some reason Chad pissed off more. There was also a lot of focus on the cop next to Chad. I wonder what his deal is. Maybe he's related to an old character.

Dan-o

Also, is it weird that I find Chad's mocking of Truman's dead son more despicable than Richard running over a kid? For some reason Chad pissed off more.

Didn't Chad say something rude to Hawk in the men's room, too? Around that time, my wife commented, "Chad's a dick."
Then when he was mocking Truman's son, I said, "No, Chad's a fucking asshole."

Seriously, fuck Chad.

Didn't Chad say something rude to Hawk in the men's room, too? Around that time, my wife commented, "Chad's a dick."
Then when he was mocking Truman's son, I said, "No, Chad's a fucking asshole."

Seriously, fuck Chad.

Chad said he was gonna go tell on Hawk for tearing the bathroom door open. Dunno how that rude asshole became a cop since it seems like everyone in the department hates him. At least the veteran cops. Getting a bad vibe from the younger cops tbh.

Also loving how much more screentime and action Hawk is getting in this new series. "Go use the ladie's room Chad."

Yeah, the guy in the truck that waved them through.

Yeah, I get he's supposed to feel a sense of guilt. But it still seems like he feels more guilty that he spilled water on someone's carpet or something.

Also, is it weird that I find Chad's mocking of Truman's dead son more despicable than Richard running over a kid? For some reason Chad pissed off more. There was also a lot of focus on the cop next to Chad. I wonder what his deal is. Maybe he's related to an old character.

Not at all, Richard was pretty fucked up from the interaction with Red still (and that designer drug he clearly couldn't handle the high of), I mean dude's still a hit and run piece of shit but in that scene he was a complete mess. Chad is clearly already set in the mold of being a despicable person all around. I have a feeling Richard may redeem himself later on given his freaked out and in over his head/troubled situation. Chad's gonna stay a pos in all likelihood. I can see Richard spilling the beans to someone in a crying fit confessional, guy is all image.

Maligna

Banned
One of the feedbackers to my podcast gave me a good chuckle talking about the looky-loos accident scene.

My absolute favorite rando was the bald guy with his hand on his chin, and a blank expression that reads: 'Well, this is a thing that happened. What should I have for dinner tonight? Pasta? I had that last night. I'm not sure what else I have at home. I should have gone grocery shopping last week when I had the chance. Well, I guess it's pasta again, Bryan. So much for your new year's resolution to cut back on carbs."

Flipyap

One of the feedbackers to my podcast gave me a good chuckle talking about the looky-loos accident scene.
My absolute favorite rando was the bald guy with his hand on his chin, and a blank expression that reads: 'Well, this is a thing that happened. What should I have for dinner tonight? Pasta? I had that last night. I'm not sure what else I have at home. I should have gone grocery shopping last week when I had the chance. Well, I guess it's pasta again, Bryan. So much for your new year's resolution to cut back on carbs."
Holy crap, I completely missed this hero.

EKnhvlO.gif

Not at all, Richard was pretty fucked up from the interaction with Red still (and that designer drug he clearly couldn't handle the high of), I mean dude's still a hit and run piece of shit but in that scene he was a complete mess. Chad is clearly already set in the mold of being a despicable person all around. I have a feeling Richard may redeem himself later on given his freaked out and in over his head/troubled situation. Chad's gonna stay a pos in all likelihood. I can see Richard spilling the beans to someone in a crying fit confessional, guy is all image.

Yeah Richard seems like someone in way over his head, like Bobby. But he could still be a weasely pos who picks on people weaker than him like the girl in the bang bang bar. But at least he seems to feel shaken up by fucked up things happening around him.
Holy crap, I completely missed this hero.

EKnhvlO.gif

Haha YES! This is the other extra that cracked me the fuck up. "Hmmmm yes very fascinating transpiring of events."

Flipyap

Haha YES! This is the other extra that cracked me the fuck up. "Hmmmm yes very fascinating transpiring of events."
At first I thought he looked like Apathetic Moby, but the longer I let it loop, the more it seems like he's enjoying the show.

He's like "Hmm, this gives me an idea."
0cUc4wB.jpg

You don't gotta like the choices, but don't think they aren't choices, either.

I get the feeling some of the people watching this are unfamiliar with Lynch's work outside of Twin Peaks, those reaction shots would easily fit in the first half of Mulholland Drive or the satirical parts of Blue Velvet. It's completely fine if you don't like it (I have mixed feelings about that scene), but to claim that Lynch didn't notice the bizarre acting is pretty ignorant. That stuff has been a staple of his work for decades.

I get the feeling some of the people watching this are unfamiliar with Lynch's work outside of Twin Peaks, those reaction shots would easily fit in the first half of Mulholland Drive or the satirical parts of Blue Velvet. It's completely fine if you don't like it (I have mixed feelings about that scene), but to claim that Lynch didn't notice the bizarre acting is pretty ignorant. That stuff has been a staple of his work for decades.

I've seen all of his movies (save Dune and Inland Empire) at least three times, and I got the impression that this scene was poorly edited/shot without any actual reason. I don't doubt that Lynch wanting to show the individual reaction of several people stopping to witness a tragedy was intentional. But it being awkwardly acted? I don't know.

I've seen all of his movies (save Dune and Inland Empire) at least three times, and I got the impression that this scene was poorly edited/shot without any actual reason. I don't doubt that Lynch wanting to show the individual reaction of several people stopping to witness a tragedy was intentional. But it being awkwardly acted? I don't know.

Neither of us can prove that it was intentional or unintentional, but given that there's lots of precedent for this kind of acting in Lynch movies I am highly skeptical it wasn't deliberate. Good? Bad? You decide. But accidental? Doubtful. I also liked the languid editing of the scene, it worked well with the music.

I think another way of phrasing the question is in what way was it intentional. Did Lynch go up to each of the actors and make them react a very specific way, or did he just grab a bunch of unskilled extras and let them loose?

Was he trying to get a more "honest" reaction, or was he trying to undermine the tragedy with humor?

big ander

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I wouldn't exactly call it good TV.
See not to cherry pick or anything but what does this mean? "I like it but it's bad." Are you watching Twin Peaks as a "so bad it's good" kind of thing? Or do you actually like it despite the fact that it defies a lot of the conventions of so-called "quality television?"

Again I'm not trying to pick out any opinions or anything—I think these are legit questions for people to mull over. Maybe the rules of tv don't need to be so rigid? Maybe you can enjoy this not in spite of the lack of episodic coherence and glacial pace but because of it. Maybe tv can be good without bending to the mores prestige series have been following for a decade.

Flipyap

There are people who think the hammy acting in the hit and run scene wasn't intentional?
There are people who think Lynch would sabotage a dramatic scene set to the first new emotional Badalamenti track by purposefully casting bad actors?

There's a difference between hammy and straight-up bad acting. Not all of those onlookers are terrible, a few of them actually do a solid job and their performance fits Carl's half of the scene. I don't know how they could fit the narrative that this scene was supposed to be a joke.
Bobby and Sarah's emotional outbursts can be called hammy and Lynch always treated those scenes seriously.

The little guy killing all those women just came out of nowhere.

I simultaneously hate Richard and Chad at the same time.

I don't like that wig on Dern at all.

Was that Harry Dean Stanton? I thought he died a long time ago.

I'm ready to move on from Dougie, yet I still enjoy those scenes.

Jombie

See not to cherry pick or anything but what does this mean? "I like it but it's bad." Are you watching Twin Peaks as a "so bad it's good" kind of thing? Or do you actually like it despite the fact that it defies a lot of the conventions of so-called "quality television?"

Again I'm not trying to pick out any opinions or anything—I think these are legit questions for people to mull over. Maybe the rules of tv don't need to be so rigid? Maybe you can enjoy this not in spite of the lack of episodic coherence and glacial pace but because of it. Maybe tv can be good without bending to the mores prestige series have been following for a decade.

I enjoy the Lynchian weirdness, which I've missed since Inland Empire, but I find it to be a disjointed mess. I don't believe any medium has to adhere to the status quo, but I also think it's important that scenes and moments at least gel. Plots and their characters come and go without any real spate. I'm glad people enjoy it, just my two cents - which means nothing.

I think another way of phrasing the question is in what way was it intentional. Did Lynch go up to each of the actors and make them react a very specific way, or did he just grab a bunch of unskilled extras and let them loose?

Was he trying to get a more "honest" reaction, or was he trying to undermine the tragedy with humor?

I think this is more likely, as I recall when they were shooting in Washington a few onlookers were approached spur of the moment to be extras lol. If it was for that scene or another I'm not sure but the location shoot stuff seemed to be a very from the hip kinda thing. I mean we know Lynch likes to improv that way in general but he really seems like he's taken it up a notch with this season. I'm skeptical of purposeful intent behind these "bad" reactions, could've been rushed, or he genuinely wanted to allude to something :shrugs

Others are saying there's one off stuff like this from tertiary characters in his other works but I can't think of an example as egregious as the scene in question. Eccentric and quirky, sure, not "did I leave the stove on at home" faux concerned facial expressions.

A-V-B

I enjoy the Lynchian weirdness, which I've missed since Inland Empire, but I find it to be a disjointed mess. I don't believe any medium has to adhere to the status quo, but I also think it's important that scenes and moments at least gel. Plots and their characters come and go without any real spate.

This certainly feels true in some areas. Dougie is obviously going somewhere, and Hawk may be too, but other than that... a TON of random one-off characters in random scenes. Great if you're just in it for the Lynchian weirdness, but if you're looking for an episode-to-episode thing... I'm getting this isn't that kind of show.

Just my estimation, but season 3 feels a lot more like Mulholland Drive than it does old school Twin Peaks. Which isn't bad. Just not what a lot of folks expected. It has flashes of the old show, but does its own "newer David Lynch" thing.

This certainly feels true in some areas. Dougie is obviously going somewhere, and Hawk may be too, but other than that... a TON of random one-off characters in random scenes. Great if you're just in it for the Lynchian weirdness, but if you're looking for an episode-to-episode thing... I'm getting this isn't that kind of show.

Just my estimation, but season 3 feels a lot more like Mulholland Drive than it does old school Twin Peaks. Which isn't bad. Just not what a lot of folks expected. It has flashes of the old show, but does its own "newer David Lynch" thing.

I had a feeling (or was hoping) that he'd build on the Mulholland vignette style of narrative progression, but have been surprised its actually held together in that way for this long. The stories are beginning to come together, we're already getting a few separate strands from two episodes that are non-Droolcoop related that are being followed up on such as the Richard story. It's the general pace is what people seem to be having issue with, the drawn out takes etc. I personally enjoy it cause it adds more strangeness to the proceedings, but can understand it won't click for everybody.

I just wish the ost was more prevalent, it has been getting a bit more consistent but also repetitive (the irony with the original's isn't lost on me) what with Windswept seeming to be a new defacto Droolcoop tragedy theme. But hey we got a new Badalamenti track! So that's coming together in a way.

Moff

I can't believe people think the inappropriate acting in the accident scene was not intentional
same with the cheap special effects

Lynch is not an amateur or a buffoon, all of this is intentional. You don't need to like it, but don't act like they somehow failed at what they were trying to do.

Maligna

Banned
I can't believe people think the inappropriate acting in the accident scene was not intentional
same with the cheap special effects

Lynch is not an amateur or a buffoon, all of this is intentional. You don't need to like it, but don't act like they somehow failed at what they were trying to do.

You have as much proof that it was intentional as we have that it was just bad acting.

Less actually, you're assuming the creator's intent. We're just going by what's on display.

Mind=blown

I really like how he looks now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck. That opening scene was kinda sad, the music, Coop sounding way worse all of a sudden and the police actually acknowledging that something is very wrong with him

I wonder if there are any deleted scenes and if we will get to see them on a bluray collection. I would imagine that with a project as big as this there are bound to be some.

Maligna

Banned
I wonder if there are any deleted scenes and if we will get to see them on a bluray collection. I would imagine that with a project as big as this there are bound to be some.

I dunno. To me it feels like they put every second they shot in there.

Did we need to see Dougie scribble over nearly ALL of the case files? 2 would have got the point across.

3rdman

HIGHLY unlikely...Lynch doesn't do that..Missing pieces was a unique case in that he was given a budget to re-edit, color balance, and score them into a semi-cohesive narrative. With 18 hours of content and full reign to do whatever he wanted, its unlikely that there is much that ended on the cutting room floor that they pine to show the world. Lynch (outside of Missing Pieces) has never shown cut footage and he certainly never re-edited something into a "Director's cut" so what we have is very likely all we'll ever see and frankly, at 18 hours, its a embarrassment of riches after a 25 year absence. :p

Airola

I wouldn't be surprised if the length of that extra 9 episodes is in fact stuff that would usually end up as deleted scenes :D

3rdman

God. Poor Sheriff Truman. His wife is so horrible lmao

Edit: Oh. I spoke too soon. God dammit Lynch.

You know, when we first met her, my thought was she is the new Nadine. Sure enough (just like Nadine) she has a tragic story that changed her forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom