• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

silenttwn

HIGHLY unlikely...Lynch doesn't do that..Missing pieces was a unique case in that he was given a budget to re-edit, color balance, and score them into a semi-cohesive narrative. With 18 hours of content and full reign to do whatever he wanted, its unlikely that there is much that ended on the cutting room floor that they pine to show the world. Lynch (outside of Missing Pieces) has never shown cut footage and he certainly never re-edited something into a "Director's cut" so what we have is very likely all we'll ever see and frankly, at 18 hours, its a embarrassment of riches after a 25 year absence. :p

Uhhh he did the same thing w/ deleted scenes from Blue Velvet (blu-ray release) and Wild At Heart (lime green box release)

silenttwn

What???? Really??? How did this escape my attention???

I haven't seen the Wild At Heart scenes but the Blue Velvet ones are really good. There's a fan edit floating around by Q2 that's an extended cut of Blue Velvet w/ the deleted scenes inserted and it's great.

3rdman

I haven't seen the Wild At Heart scenes but the Blue Velvet ones are really good. There's a fan edit floating around by Q2 that's an extended cut of Blue Velvet w/ the deleted scenes inserted and it's great.

Seriously...WTF? I'm actually quite surprised...I've always known him to be very stringent in this regard. I wonder if this was sanctioned by Lynch or done in spite of his protestations???

Thanks for the education...I'll be looking for them now. :p

man just watched the new ep last night. so insane.

so many insane things. the kid getting hit and HDS watching his spirit go into the sky? insane. i had to turn away from the ice pick guy that was scary.

i loved watching Dougie slowly scribble heiroglyphics onto his work. the look on his face before that was so sad. i love slow Cooper.

honestly could see Cooper being "trapped" forever. he's been away for 25 years, there is no reason he should magically snap back to who he was 25 years ago.

i really love it. i would rather take this abstracted fragmented Cooper over catchphrase chipper coffee drinking Cooper. pretty silly people expect the latter at all tbh. this is why David Lynch rules he doesn't care for irrational audience expectations.

Seriously...WTF? I'm actually quite surprised...I've always known him to be very stringent in this regard. I wonder if this was sanctioned by Lynch or done in spite of his protestations???

Thanks for the education...I'll be looking for them now. :p

Lynch loves showing deleted footage. There is a ton of stuff on the Eraserhead disc too. Inland Empire was the first time he actually cut another features worth of deleted footage together I believe. Mulholland drive has 2 scenes I think. I'm actually surprised he didn't put more on the Criterion. Maybe it wasn't in good shape.

3rdman

Lynch loves showing deleted footage. There is a ton of stuff on the Eraserhead disc too. Inland Empire was the first time he actually cut another features worth of deleted footage together I believe. Mulholland drive has 2 scenes I think. I'm actually surprised he didn't put more on the Criterion. Maybe it wasn't in good shape.

Wow...I've always known him to be vehemently against that stuff...Perhaps I'm projecting his frustrations of getting the Missing Pieces to light? Thanks for the education!

EdmondD

In the new Mario game Mario can turn into electricity and travel through wires. Coincidence or Twin Peaks reference? You decide. Maybe Shigeru Miyamoto is a big Lynch fan.

I think the Mulholland Drive TV pilot scenes are probably tied up in licensing issues with ABC (I guess now it's Disney) so they could only include cut footage that was filmed after they got funding from Studio Canal to turn it into a movie.

stuminus3

The look of pure child-like joy and wonder on Dougie Coop's face as the elevator doors opened and closed is the greatest thing ever. No matter how this all ends up, Kyle is great.

Big Nikus

What, people didn't "like" the hit-and-run scene ?
Well it completely destroyed me. The buildup with Carl seeing the woman play with her son, and him always running away from her so she can catch up to him... at this point the cut to the stupid junkie froze my blood. And then I shed a tear after the shock :/ Didn't even notice the bad reactions of the extras...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What, people didn't "like" the hit-and-run scene ?
Well it completely destroyed me. The buildup with Carl seeing the woman play with her son, and him always running away from her so she can catch up to him... at this point the cut to the stupid junkie froze my blood. And then I shed a tear after the shock :/ Didn't even notice the bad reactions of the extras...

I didn't feel much until the old man walked up to her, made it feel "real" all of a sudden.

In two episodes Lynch managed to make Richard Horne the most hated person on TV. Maybe he will kill Dougie Coop if Ike fails.

In two episodes Lynch managed to make Richard Horne the most hated person on TV. Maybe he will kill Dougie Coop if Ike fails.

He's an awful human being (though I'm loving the character)

But i think officer Chad will give him a run for his money for most hated. That shit he said about the sheriffs son....god damn

Flipyap

I can't believe people think the inappropriate acting in the accident scene was not intentional
same with the cheap special effects

Lynch is not an amateur or a buffoon, all of this is intentional. You don't need to like it, but don't act like they somehow failed at what they were trying to do.
Since it's so unbelievable, please, explain what Lynch tried to accomplish by casting a few extras who can act and a few who make a mockery out of a scene that's otherwise doing its darnest to pull at your heartstrings.
Only one of those extras is actually behaving inappropriately, but he's not the one who hurt the scene.

Lynch's digital special effects have always looked like this. Suggesting that he sets out to make his commercials and music videos look like trash to make a statement makes it sound like he's some kind of a troll, which seems more presumptuous than accepting the possibility that he's a human being who sometimes makes mistakes, who isn't the best at every art discipline he tackles and who sometimes has to work around certain limitations.
Lynch is not a skilled digital artist (nor a technically proficient painter), which inevitably causes issues whenever he mixes his art style with film or photography.

Vectorman

Banned
I feel like Chad and perhaps the other younger cops
might be in on the drug trade that has popped up again in Twin Peaks. Perhaps with both Cooper and H. Truman not being there and with his brother dealing with the loss of his son that it might have allowed corruption to flow into the department, much like everything else in Twin Peaks apparently.

Flipyap

didn't that tree thing make electricity sounds?

and it essentially replaced the man from anther place.. so I guess its all the same
Not with its... mouth hole. The lights coursing through it make a static-y sound, but "I sound like this" is followed by a weird slurping, inhaling sound.

Joohanh

I don't think there was anything even remotely off with the reactions. Lynch has said that the only thing you need to do to observe weird stuff is to sit down in a cafe and look around you. Of course people are going to react unexpectedly in a situation like the one in the latest episode.

It's just that we're so machined to expect human reactions to follow the regular patterns of causality in fiction. But that's just like, a rough estimate of life. Like the limitations of what a physics engine can do in a video game.

Chumley

Banned
I can't believe people think the inappropriate acting in the accident scene was not intentional
same with the cheap special effects

Lynch is not an amateur or a buffoon, all of this is intentional. You don't need to like it, but don't act like they somehow failed at what they were trying to do.

He's also not an infallible god. This is an 18 hour run and he hasn't directed something at this level of production in 16 years, it's entirely likely he made a few oversights here and there. I don't think this instance was one of them, but the point still stands.

There's also the fact that his process will always be speculation as he famously doesn't ever talk about that stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqhiC4zcGA

This is an 18 hour run and he hasn't directed something at this level of production in 16 years

this is absurd, he has made two amibitious full length films and plenty of short films in that time and as anyone who has seen the Inland Empire 2-disc set knows he shoots far more usable footage than what ends up being seen. the only difference is now that stuff isn't "Missing Pieces" or DVD extras but we are watching it as it is shot and conceived, which makes the most sense artistically.

Peru

The accident scene was classic Lynch through ans through and a real highlight. If you've seen Mulholland Dr you should recognize the direction immediately.

Lynch is not a skilled digital artist (nor a technically proficient painter), which inevitably causes issues whenever he mixes his art style with film or photography.

EDITED: [disagree], he got his start as a painter, his first film work was motion painting, he switched over to digital wholeheartedly over 10 years ago and uses its possibilities all the time. he creates images that other people wouldn't have the imagination to create. sometimes they are ridiculous but this is part of his absurdity. it ties in w the "bad" acting, the artifice, the meta references he does on purpose to make the real and deadly and suspenseful moments all the more real.

sucks that Twin Peaks has to be picked apart by digital effects purists and people that gripe over fps but thats the price we pay for Twin Peaks in 2017. the discerning audience can understand the difference between artistic expression and "poorly done effects". people that want a good serious tv show that satisfies their expectations can look elsewhere. my only question is how did u make it through 2 1/2 seasons of this? honestly its absurd this question continues to even get traction people are missing the point. may as well complain Picasso's painting don't look realistic and thus he's shitty at his craft

bunbun777

Absurdist behaviour is absolutely needed to maintain the surreal journey that David is on. Someone may think it's just kooky behaviour, "bad acting", poorly edited effects... but without it you would only get a shell, the squishy center is the real event. You are irritated by things that are off while a pearl is being manufactured.

Flipyap

EDITED: [disagree], he got his start as a painter, his first film work was motion painting, he switched over to digital wholeheartedly over 10 years ago and uses its possibilities all the time. he creates images that other people wouldn't have the imagination to create. sometimes they are ridiculous but this is part of his absurdity. it ties in w the "bad" acting, the artifice, the meta references he does on purpose to make the real and deadly and suspenseful moments all the more real.

sucks that Twin Peaks has to be picked apart by digital effects purists and people that gripe over fps but thats the price we pay for Twin Peaks in 2017. the discerning audience can understand the difference between artistic expression and "poorly done effects". people that want a good serious tv show that satisfies their expectations can look elsewhere. my only question is how did u make it through 2 1/2 seasons of this? honestly its absurd this question continues to even get traction people are missing the point. may as well complain Picasso's painting don't look realistic and thus he's shitty at his craft
Wow, this edit. One step forward, two steps back. I don't know if I should reply to this, but here goes...

Nah, it's not "total bullshit" and I actually do know what I'm talking about. Being a painter doesn't automatically make him technically proficient (I made that distinction for a reason, because I'm talking about mixing his art with photography).
If this was Picasso, that would be a different story because that man was a skilled traditional painter before he started reinventing himself.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of what you assume to be Lynch's intent is actually an unfortunate side effect of having to work around the production's limitations, even with its budget and a miraculously patient network.
It would be naive to claim that everything turned out as intended, when we've already seen a troubling number of instances where Lynch had to resort to manufacturing shots by reversing or slowing down previously used footage.
I also find it hard to believe that Lynch would choose those lousy shots of painted-on gore or poorly-inserted signs with comical drop shadows if he (or the production's schedule) could afford real, well-sculpted props.

This isn't some deeply personal expression of an individual's artistic expression. It's a large TV production and a collaboration with other artists, including at least one visual effects studio. It's also a continuation of Twin Peaks, a series which until now used much more conventionally attractive visuals (and whenever it didn't, those effects stood out). It would be a different story if Leland floating in the red room was a cardboard cut-out, but since he wasn't I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that a new David Lynch film would look as good as they used to.
It's not like his pre-Inland Empire movies were soulless monstrosities ruined by soulless special effects purists... or were they? Oh boy.

There were 2 reactions thats looked off to me, the guy grabbing his head in the car was the worst.

What did Dougie's boss see in the case files he scribbled on? Is it a mystery or did I miss something?

Slaythe

There were 2 reactions thats looked off to me, the guy grabbing his head in the car was the worst.

What did Dougie's boss see in the case files he scribbled on? Is it a mystery or did I miss something?

I think it's related to the "liar" Dougie called out. We'll find out next week.

As for the bad acting...

You know, for Bobby crying because of Laura, I get it. I mean it wasn't bad acting so much as intentionally over the top. That's fine.

But this last episode... It dragged on for far too long, it overstayed its welcome.

All I could think was "huhu joke's on you, I'm not really retarded !" kind of thing.

Where like, "look, it's shit. But I made it shit on purpose !" Yeah awesome... It's ... still shit though.

I really disliked it. I had some issues with the effects here and there, notably Dougie's ball. And the car explosion with the fire.

But besides that I was really on board. Last episode was cringe to me. Not just the accident. I don't see what it adds. Like, what it tries to convey I think can be done much better... so no matter how I look at it, it feels ... bad.

Kyle and Naomi save the episode though.

Chumley

Banned

I think it's something to do with the names Dougie circled and what companies or names or whatever he connected them to. The boss by this point realizes he's basically dealing with the mind of a child, but also realized there that he knows shit that can be of use to him.

This isn't some deeply personal expression of an individual's artistic expression. It's a large TV production and a collaboration with other artists, including at least one visual effects studio.

Just because it's a TV production doesn't mean it isn't a deeply personal expression by Lynch/Frost. Not sure why you think it has to be one or the other. Every artist needs other people to help them make their art. Even the lonely painter has to purchase supplies from someone. David Nevins, one of the few people to have seen the whole thing, calls it "the pure heroin version of David Lynch".

Once again, doesn't mean anyone else has to like it or think it's good. Lynch has been fairly esoteric for most of his career and any mainstream success was an accident that didn't last long. Many of his movies have been divisive within his fan base.

Lynch/Frost didn't have to bring back the show. It was a property that went up in flames. Everyone, including the creators, thought it was "dead as a doornail" after 1992. The only reason it came back was because there was a creative impulse to make it, nearly 2 decades later. Sounds pretty goddamn personal to me.

Blader

Not sure how I never realized this before (and maybe it's already been called out in this thread a hundred times), but there's a track on Windswept called Missing Pages...

Linkin112

Not sure how I never realized this before (and maybe it's already been called out in this thread a hundred times), but there's a track on Windswept called Missing Pages...
And it's probably my 2nd favorite track off that album. Can't wait for it to be used...hopefully next episode!

Kurdel

Banned
Wtf was up with the murderous midget

Even google knows it's an offensive term

tdaoaYb.jpg

Blader

Why is MIKE so useless this season? Unless he's confined to the Lodge for some unexplained reason, I don't get why he doesn't just go out into the world and help Coop as he has before.

120v

Why is MIKE so useless this season? Unless he's confined to the Lodge for some unexplained reason, I don't get why he doesn't just go out into the world and help Coop as he has before.

i just assumed his last host (gerard was his name?) died and he's stuck there

Blader

I wonder if Mr. C/BOB still being out in the world after they were supposed to return is destabilizing the lodge somehow, and now threatening the existence of MIKE, the Arm, and everyone else inside. It might also be tied to the Mother creature; maybe the lodge slowly falling apart is what set her loose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom