• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappyday

I was rewatching the first episode and the coffee that the chick gives the guy watching the glass box has the same black dot as the envelope given to the The Spike.

Flipyap

Just because it's a TV production doesn't mean it isn't a deeply personal expression by Lynch/Frost. Not sure why you think it has to be one or the other. Every artist needs other people to help them make their art. Even the lonely painter has to purchase supplies from someone. David Nevins, one of the few people to have seen the whole thing, calls it "the pure heroin version of David Lynch".

Once again, doesn't mean anyone else has to like it or think it's good. Lynch has been fairly esoteric for most of his career and any mainstream success was an accident that didn't last long. Many of his movies have been divisive within his fan base.

Lynch/Frost didn't have to bring back the show. It was a property that went up in flames. Everyone, including the creators, thought it was "dead as a doornail" after 1992. The only reason it came back was because there was a creative impulse to make it, nearly 2 decades later. Sounds pretty goddamn personal to me.
What I was trying to say was that this isn't the type of production that always allows for that kind of spontaneous creativity, that you can't use that to explain bad special effects when they might have been made by the VFX company.

I'm not the one suggesting that technical expertise is the enemy of creativity. I'm also not saying that the creators can't view the work as personal, it's just not the kind of work where of them could claim full ownership. The more conspiratorial the plot gets, the more it feels like Lynch is making a concession to his co-creator. There are scenes in this show that look like the kind of stuff Lynch would HATE to film, especially since the realities of TV production forced him to back down on his stance on product placement. The goofy hacking sequence brought to you by Microsoft® Surface™ might have been the most painfully unLynchian thing I've ever seen.

Why is MIKE so useless this season? Unless he's confined to the Lodge for some unexplained reason, I don't get why he doesn't just go out into the world and help Coop as he has before.
It would appear that a lot of material originally intended for Michael J. Anderson had to be given to Al Strobel. Which is, honestly, quite heartbreaking. Al Strobel is great, but the red room's look and sound definitely lost something when The Arm turned out to be a horrible racist and had to be turned into a tree.

It seriously bums me out to imagine how different these scenes could look (and sound, because no-one talks backwards like Michael J. Anderson, that amazing asshole :( )
HYgmJku.jpg
XrHPKWS.png

Maligna

Banned
https://youtu.be/JRId8aIFDB8

Previously unreleased behind the scenes footage from the original show.

A video that was made to thank the folks behind COOP for (briefly) saving Twin Peaks from cancellation. Before this it was only seen by a select few. I guess one of those few decided to digitize and upload it for everyone to enjoy.

Looks like it was filmed right after the final episode. Miss Twin Peaks set is still up.

Man, I miss Frank Silva and Jack Nance.

fenners

It would appear that a lot of material originally intended for Michael J. Anderson had to be given to Al Strobel. Which is, honestly, quite heartbreaking. Al Strobel is great, but the red room's look and sound definitely lost something when The Arm turned out to be a horrible racist and had to be turned into a tree.

It seriously bums me out to imagine how different these scenes could look (and sound, because no-one talks backwards like Michael J. Anderson, that amazing asshole :( )

That's been my feeling about it all too. It's a real shame.

Flipyap

https://youtu.be/JRId8aIFDB8

Previously unreleased behind the scenes footage from the original show.

A video that was made to thank the folks behind COOP for (briefly) saving Twin Peaks from cancellation. Before this it was only seen by a select few. I guess one of those few decided to digitize and upload it for everyone to enjoy.

Looks like it was filmed right after the final episode. Miss Twin Peaks set is still up.

Man, I miss Frank Silva and Jack Nance.
Yeah, it really is a lovely video. I already said this a few pages back, but my favorite detail might be that they caught Richard Beymer visiting the set with his camera - that little thing captured some genuine TV history!

Is there a reason for MIKE being in all caps? I was just calling him Mike. 😕
Jennifer Lynch had Laura write BOB in all caps in the Secret Diary, so it became the unofficially official way of differentiating Bob and Mike from Bobby and Mike.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Why is MIKE so useless this season? Unless he's confined to the Lodge for some unexplained reason, I don't get why he doesn't just go out into the world and help Coop as he has before.

I don't even understand how the lodge works. Why are Laura and Leland there?

Love that COOP video. Beymer seems like such a good dude.

Saw this on my feed, didn't catch it during my two watches of the episode, what's up with that webcam looking thing poking out of cardboard on the wall behind her? Something to do with Jeffries/Buenos Aires perhaps? Not exactly the most subtle placement for security.

DCYHs-yUQAAYneS.jpg

edit: Someone mentioned its part of one of the same box designs from the NYC warehouse. Relation to the glass box/billionaire possibly.

chekhonte

Just came in to say that i finally got to watch the first 5 episodes this weekend and it's better than I ever could have hoped.

I've been Frosted with Lynch and I love it.

Flipyap

Saw this on my feed, didn't catch it during my two watches of the episode, what's up with that webcam looking thing poking out of cardboard on the wall behind her? Something to do with Jeffries/Buenos Aires perhaps? Not exactly the most subtle placement for security.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCYHs-yUQAAYneS.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh, good catch. What a weird thing.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Pft8Mj3.png

Jocund

People who die pass through the Lodge to arrive at heaven/White Lodge. It's like a purgatory, I think? We don't know why Laura was there. Presumably, she should've passed through a long, long time ago. But going by how she was violently snatched away from Coop after telling him secrets, she maybe managed to sneak her way back to the Lodge for a few brief moments.

Leland is probably there because of his previous function as a host to Bob.

Flipyap

Also she's got a bruise on her face here (not like that matters much now).
:(
RIP Lorraine, her dorky theme song and the ice pick that killed them both.

The show seemingly being structured around countless character arcs (and random non sequiturs) of short film length makes for one heck of an unpredictable ride, but... man, some of those characters and actors are so good, I keep finding myself wishing that this was a more traditional, long-running series.
Even though I'm starting to warm up to her, it kinda sucks that Tammy will likely end up having a larger role than Phyllis, Darya, Lorraine, the Miniature Murderer and Hank (the antsy maintenance dude with a suspicious-looking bag). I miss all of them already and I really hope we haven't seen the last of Bill Hastings

Blader

The lodge, are at the least the red room part, is where everyone passes through after death before ascending to the White Lodge (according to Hawk, anyway). Not exactly sure why Laura is there... the end of FWWM seemed to imply she was moving on and ascending to the White Lodge, but maybe she came back to keep her promise to Coop and let him out 25 years later. Leland is still there, I assume, because he was a bad guy and either hasn't been able to atone for everything yet to move on, or he just won't be moving on at all.

Ashby

The lodge, are at the least the red room part, is where everyone passes through after death before ascending to the White Lodge (according to Hawk, anyway). Not exactly sure why Laura is there... the end of FWWM seemed to imply she was moving on and ascending to the White Lodge, but maybe she came back to keep her promise to Coop and let him out 25 years later. Leland is still there, I assume, because he was a bad guy and either hasn't been able to atone for everything yet to move on, or he just won't be moving on at all.

Why are we supposed to assume they are "our" Laura and Leland and not their dopplegangers?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was reading a novel that mentioned the People's Temple and it just hit me that Sonny Jim's full name is Jim Jones. Doesn't mean anything, but it's an amusing connection. Especially because of how The Secret Story of Twin Peaks goes into certain cults and conspiracies.

PolishQ

Why are we supposed to assume they are "our" Laura and Leland and not their dopplegangers?

In the S2 finale we saw both Laura and her doppelganger in the Lodge. We also saw "our" Laura in the Lodge at the end of FWWM.

Doppelgangers have historically been presented with visual differences from their "good" counterparts. In the S2 finale the doppelgangers all had cloudy eyes. In FWWM we briefly saw both Laura and Leland with black lips and pale skin, which I assume was a visual reinvention of the doppelganger concept (but who knows).

I'm confident that the Laura we saw in Part 2 was "our" Laura, who has been in the Lodge since her death. Leland I'm not so sure; his eyes seemed a LITTLE cloudy so it could have been his doppelganger or maybe not. Presumably he's been in the Lodge since his death too; recall that he saw Laura when he died in Cooper's arms.

Flipyap

Leland I'm not so sure; his eyes seemed a LITTLE cloudy so it could have been his doppelganger or maybe not.
His eyes look brighter when he looks up due to the harsh lighting and a reflector's.... reflection over his iris, but those look like regular Ray Wise eyes. I wouldn't expect them to choose such subtle contacts when the seemingly indistinguishable "real world" version of Cooper's doppelganger was given pitch black irises.

His eyes look brighter when he looks up due to the harsh lighting and a reflector's.... reflection over his iris, but those look like regular Ray Wise eyes. I wouldn't expect them to choose such subtle contacts when the seemingly indistinguishable "real world" version of Cooper's doppelganger was given pitch black irises.

Yeah, that's just normal Ray Wise. A man who, even 25 years later, still seems to be part puppy.

robochimp

I was reading a novel that mentioned the People's Temple and it just hit me that Sonny Jim's full name is Jim Jones. Doesn't mean anything, but it's an amusing connection. Especially because of how The Secret Story of Twin Peaks goes into certain cults and conspiracies.

Sunny Jim is also in Dr. Seuss' "Too Many Daves". As a suggested name that a mother should have used instead of naming all of her sons Dave.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/42882

Chitown B

What did Dougie's boss see in the case files he scribbled on? Is it a mystery or did I miss something?

what I think is, he scribbled/circled a name, then drew a line down (probably stairs or a drop off in reality), and connected it to something else in the chart. And two of them were identical - I think the issue was that there were some fake reports.

I can't believe people think the inappropriate acting in the accident scene was not intentional
same with the cheap special effects

Lynch is not an amateur or a buffoon, all of this is intentional. You don't need to like it, but don't act like they somehow failed at what they were trying to do.

Why on Earth would a director choose to have bad acting or cheap special effects? He's certainly a talented mind, but nobody is above making bad decisions.

It's like when people defend the disjointed and meandering story by saying "Oh, that's just Lynch trolling the audience." I mean, from the point of view of a content creator, that's an insane and asinine thing to do. "Yes! A significant portion of my audience is now confused and aggravated instead of entertained. Mission accomplished!"

Meanwhile, he could have just written a good, cohesive, weird story and we'd all be talking about how great it was. Hell, he laid a pretty brilliant foundation with parts 1 & 2. The Return is still better than the post-Leland stuff in Season 2, but so was the Darkwing Duck "Twin Beaks" parody.

Seriously, this happened in a Disney cartoon. What the fuck.

:(

RIP Lorraine, her dorky theme song and the ice pick that killed them both.

The show seemingly being structured around countless character arcs (and random non sequiturs) of short film length makes for one heck of an unpredictable ride, but... man, some of those characters and actors are so good, I keep finding myself wishing that this was a more traditional, long-running series.
Even though I'm starting to warm up to her, it kinda sucks that Tammy will likely end up having a larger role than Phyllis, Darya, Lorraine, the Miniature Murderer and Hank (the antsy maintenance dude with a suspicious-looking bag). I miss all of them already and I really hope we haven't seen the last of Bill Hastings

Well at least we'll likely see more of Mini Mayhem as he tries to hunt down Droolcoop, though the latter being the ever fortunate Fool archetype that he's been thus far I can see narrowly dodging an assassination attempt Mr Magoo style, sending our diminutive chum into a death not unlike the Lost Highway coffee table faceplant scene :p

But yes more Bill Hastings please, Lillard putting in work there. I need more dopey-faced contortions of rage and existential crisis.

oh shit, that's who that was. I didn't connect that women to both scenes. thanks!

Sure thing!

Why on Earth would a director choose to have bad acting or cheap special effects? He's certainly a talented mind, but nobody is above making bad decisions.

It's like when people defend the disjointed and meandering story by saying "Oh, that's just Lynch trolling the audience." I mean, from the point of view of a content creator, that's an insane and asinine thing to do. "Yes! A significant portion of my audience is now confused and aggravated instead of entertained. Mission accomplished!"

Meanwhile, he could have just written a good, cohesive, weird story and we'd all be talking about how great it was. Hell, he laid a pretty brilliant foundation with parts 1 & 2. The Return is still better than the post-Leland stuff in Season 2, but so was the Darkwing Duck "Twin Beaks" parody.

How have I not heard of the Darkwing parody before...need to hunt this down.

[/SPOILER]

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. It's worked in the past because he did it for a very clear reason, and generally it was a scene or two from time to time. Now it seems like all six episodes are testing the viewer's patience. Pretty much all Dougie scenes are basically the old waiter in the season two premiere, or the old banker in the season two finale. Just a slow moving, purposely frustrating turn of events and the opposite of what a viewer expected after a hiatus.

It worked in his movies also, like the deliberate starstruck acting by Naomi Watts in the first part of Mulholland Drive. That especially worked because it was a 2 hour movie watched in one sitting. Even if everything we've seen so far is intentional and part of a plan, it's just not compelling.

I get the sense that not everything is as carefully and meticulously planned and presented as we're used to with Lynch. Maybe eighteen hours of full creative control was just too much for him to make something consistent.

Well at least we'll likely see more of Mini Mayhem as he tries to hunt down Droolcoop, though the latter being the ever fortunate Fool archetype that he's been thus far I can see narrowly dodging an assassination attempt Mr Magoo style, sending our diminutive chum into a death not unlike the Lost Highway coffee table faceplant scene :p

But yes more Bill Hastings please, Lillard putting in work there. I need more dopey-faced contortions of rage and existential crisis.

This! Lillard was so good.

Is it just me or is Cooper's blink kind of weird there?

I don't think its happening in that shot but people have pointed out how a few things look reversed>played forwards Lodge-style in the seemingly "real" world, such as Sonny Jim blinking in the car in part 5 as Coop sheds a tear, also think Denise had some weird time distortion going on with her walk at the end of the meeting with Cole, though some think that may have been an editing trick to fudge lack of footage or a better take. I think Coop just don't know how to blink properly xD

One blink for insurance fraud two blinks for no.

i loved the doodles. i really love the shots of people making art, just spray painting shovels or scribbling with a pencil. it is very freeing. it is very natural and ambient. it feels nice. this is why it is important that David Lynch is doing this and not someone else.

I just rewatched FWWM with family who are in town and noticed that when Desmond is asking the waitress at the restaurant about Theresa Banks, she says right before Theresa's time her left arm went numb. Wasn't Dougie's arm all buggered up for a bit too? Thought that was curious.

I am not really one to dig into online theories and connections and such, especially with Lynch work. But watching FWWM again after 6 episodes of the new show, I was amazed at how many little things have stood out/clicked between FWWM and the new show.

rgoulart

Does anyone know why the arm isn't in this season? I really miss him. Like others said, he was the best in reverse talking and had a very eerie feeling to him.

Slime

Banned
Does anyone know why the arm isn't in this season? I really miss him. Like others said, he was the best in reverse talking and had a very eerie feeling to him.

The actor went nuts and accused Lynch of murdering Jack Nance, among other things.

zethren

Banned

He chose the acting style for certain scenes, and the practical effects, for a reason. It's a stylistic choice. It's a part of the aesthetic, and he absolutely knows what he is doing with it. It's no failing. It's like...Picasso, going from excellent draftsmanship into cubism. His cubist work was vastly different, and less visually "skillful" from the first impression. But you find that it was absolutely intentional, every bit of it, and that he was exploring a specific aesthetic and concept.

Also, we are talking about how great it is. I'm sorry if you're not digging it, I get it and that's okay. But the simple fact is that what we see is what Lynch intends for us to see in exactly the way he intends for us to see it. It's that way in all of his works.

EdmondD

I just rewatched FWWM with family who are in town and noticed that when Desmond is asking the waitress at the restaurant about Theresa Banks, she says right before Theresa's time her left arm went numb. Wasn't Dougie's arm all buggered up for a bit too? Thought that was curious.

I am not really one to dig into online theories and connections and such, especially with Lynch work. But watching FWWM again after 6 episodes of the new show, I was amazed at how many little things have stood out/clicked between FWWM and the new show.

I was actually going to make a post about the owl ring and Mike but I never got around to it. That ring seems to be very important and is tied to Mike. He may ahve created it. Anyone who wears it arm goes numb. Teresa, Laura, and Dougie. Chet Desmond disappears when he touches it or so it seems.

The ring protects you from Bob. Laura is given the ring in a dream. It saved Laura from possession by Bob that is why he kills her.

The last person to have it was the real Dougie and Mike took it from him when Dougie was turned into a gold ball. I assume Dougie had it to protect himself from Bob. I suspect the next person to own the ring will be Rain Coop to protect him from DoppelCoop and Bob.

He chose the acting style for certain scenes, and the practical effects, for a reason. It's a stylistic choice. It's a part of the aesthetic, and he absolutely knows what he is doing with it. It's no failing. It's like...Picasso, going from excellent draftsmanship into cubism. His cubist work was vastly different, and less visually "skillful" from the first impression.

Bruh...

Twin Peaks S1 is cubism. It's emotionally evocative and instantly captivating, while also being surreal in a manner that both excites and unsettles.

S3 still has some good moments, but overall, it's more akin to the painter who shows off a blank canvas and says "This is art. I'm making a statement."

Listen to the most recent Idle Thumbs podcast for a pretty solid take on why patience is wearing thin (these guys ardently defended the previous episodes, but are starting to get tired of the BS): https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks/episodes/the-return-part-6

MisterR

It gives the scene a weird, unreal quality with the exaggerated acting and the effects. It makes the whole scene even more unsettling and gives a macabre dark humor to it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom