• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

Bruh...

Twin Peaks S1 is cubism. It's emotionally evocative and instantly captivating, while also being surreal in a manner that both excites and unsettles.

S3 still has some good moments, but overall, it's more akin to the painter who shows off a blank canvas and says "This is art. I'm making a statement."

But season 3 is not a blank canvas at all. Quite the contrary.
But I do agree that season 3 is very different from 1 and 2.
My SO loved season 1 and 2, but she didn't like any other Lynch production. After watching the first minutes of season 3 I knew she'd hate it, and she did.

See, Twin Peaks was designed to attract a mass audience and be super successful, Lynch and Frost always admitted that. It had many soap elenents, cheesy scenes, romance, high school drama etc. The typical Lynch content was there, but in a small, easily digestable volume. And it become a pop culture phenomenon.

Season 3, and FWWM before it, are not like that. They are pure Lynch productions much closer to Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive or Eraserhead. They are abstract, bizarre, out of this world and seemingly disjointed. Inappropriate acting and poor cgi add to that. They are supposed to create a desired atmosphere and spezific unusual, uncomfortable emotional responses from the audience.

Like a painting, they make much more sense when you see the whole picture and are of course not disjointed at all, which is why season 3 is even better on a rewatch.

Now you don't need to like it. I understand. But saying the poor cgi and inappropriate acting were mistakes or oversights by Lynch is madness. He is not an amateur or a buffoon, he is a veteran of decades in the industry and has used these methods before.

Airola

I think a Diane reveal is justified on the basis that even non-superfans who watched the show would be somewhat shocked to finally see the woman Cooper was referring to whenever he recorded his tapes.

She wasn't exactly a mystery per se, but he does mention her name a lot in the original show and she never appears, so I don't think you'd need to be super into it to feel intrigued. I couldn't care less about the actress playing her either since I purposely didn't keep up with casting news, but it was still a cool scene for me in a "oh wow, that Diane!" sort of way.

Sure, but this is supposed to be a show for also those people who haven't watched the original series. And I think that even for those who know about Diane, like maybe those who watched the original series and maybe were fans back then but who haven't invested any time for the series after the initial viewing, this wasn't that much of a reveal. I mean, there really isn't anything more to it in the scene than there is a woman who is Diane, or THE Diane for thos who know the name, and that she wears a wig and drinks in a bar and looks dramatic and looks like Laura Dern.

That really just mostly feels like fan service. Sure, she might become super interesting later, but the actual reveal wasn't really much of anything. Even the scene where James met Evelyn Marsh they were setting up more than what they did in this scene :D

But at the very least each scene is there to set a mood.

Yeah, and one of those moods is made by a little man brutally killing someone while a completely unfitting hiphop beat plays on the background, so......... at least that's a mood? :D
(really, I don't think that even the "but it's the contrast of the music and what's happening" explanations make that decision any better)

They are abstract, bizarre, out of this world and seemingly disjointed. Inappropriate acting and poor cgi add to that. They are supposed to create a desired atmosphere and spezific unusual, uncomfortable emotional responses from the audience.

You can not know that.
You can't know what the intention is.

One of the greats, Dario Argento, made a 3D Dracula some years ago. He probably also was very much ok with the effects and acting in that movie. But him deliberately making that doesn't make him a genius who wants to create unusual and uncomfortable emotional responses. It just it what it is. No need to force some intelligence on it.

Now you don't need to like it. I understand. But saying the poor cgi and inappropriate acting were mistakes or oversights by Lynch is madness. He is not an amateur or a buffoon, he is a veteran of decades in the industry and has used these methods before.

Being a veteran in the industry doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Some people just lose their touch.

Now, I have to say that I personally like season 3. And some of the scenes I absolutely love.
I didn't like the first two episodes but from the 3rd episode onwards I have really gotten into it.

And I get the slowCoop. I understand that without making the scenes super long and slow and really dragging him being slow and simple, the scene where he is at the statue at night wouldn't be even nearly as great as it is now. If he wasn't set up like that before that scene we couldn't quite feel for his "senility" and sense the little spark of consciousness he still has within him and feel for his primitive longing for something he doesn't and even can't set his mind to. That's very touching stuff about the small sparks of nostalgia in the minds of people who just don't have well working brains anymore, like people with Alzheimers disease or people who've had a stroke. Absolutely beautiful stuff. Both heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time.

But even if I think Lynch can do so amazing moments and I in general am a huge Twin Peaks and David Lynch fan, I don't think he's above criticism or that everything he does is good and fitting.

Hell, he almost managed to ruin the FWWM scene with Jeffries and the bellhop by letting the bellhop say "the shit came out of my asshole" in the Missing Pieces. For me, that was a thing that shouldn't have ever been filmed and should've been erased from the script completely. Yeah, sure there's some "contrast" there and whatever, but for me that's just a bad joke in an unfitting place. And while it could be interesting to put an unfitting joke in an unfitting place, this wasn't good even in that sense.

I love Dougie, I loved Wally Brando, I love a lot of things in S3.
But this season still has issues even if David is in complete control.

You can not know that.
You can't know what the intention is.

There is precedent for the assertion that Lynch uses "bad" effects to provoke emotions or highlight a point. The most famous example is the mechanical robin at the end of Blue Velvet, an obviously fake prop meant to highlight the phoniness of the happy ending. Other times he isn't even making a subversive point with the bad effects, he's just using them because he enjoys that style and the emotions it can elicit.
Here's a quote from Lynch about his philosophy towards painting:
"You go by most paintings, and they don't stop you. You can walk by so much because it's merely beautiful. I like to feel that you could bite my paintings. Not to eat them, to hurt them. I like to feel like I'm painting with my teeth. I call my painting `bad' because bad painting has its own beauty. It's not a designer tapestry or a commercial hype. It makes you react to it."

Obviously this attitude has seeped into his other effects work.

Look at all the fake computer GUIs this season is using, they're ridiculous to the point where they wouldn't look out of place in a Tim and Eric sketch. Doop used a tablet in the second episode that had CRT distortion for god's sake. It would have actually taken less effort to produce a GUI that looked reasonably realistic, but Lynch went the extra mile to make it look "bad". On the other hand, look at how good and seamless the CGI was for the scene when Laura removed her face, proof that he's capable of creating (or commissioning) good special effects when he thinks the scene warrants it.

A-V-B

Pretty much. I interpret it as "the return" of Dale Cooper, not "the return" of the show itself.

Dale's not breaking free of his current state until Part 17 or Part 18, y'all. Just you wait.

I'm pretty much super on board with this line of thinking as well. I hope it happens earlier, but super prepared if it doesn't.

Flipyap

This is not the first time Lynch has used deliberately unrealistic special effects. There is precedent for this, it's not something people are pulling out of their ass to defend the show. The most famous example is the mechanical robin at the end of Blue Velvet, an obviously fake prop meant to highlight the phoniness of the happy ending.
Well, considering the fact that (according to cinematographer Frederick Elmes) Lynch was trying to get a trained robin until the day of the shoot and had to make use of a dead one at the last minute, that sounds like the kind of story that would be manufactured by people who can't deal with the possibility that David Lynch is actually that earnest of dude, the kind who believes in those happy endings.
Lynch did like how fake the robin looked, but there was nothing deliberate about it. Happy accidents and all that (okay, maybe not so happy for the robin that got hit by a school bus).

Well, considering the fact that (according to cinematographer Frederick Elmes) Lynch was trying to get a trained robin until the day of the shoot and had to make use of a dead one at the last minute, that sounds like the kind of story that would be manufactured by people who can't deal with the possibility that David Lynch is actually that earnest of dude, the kind who believes in those happy endings.
Lynch did like how fake the robin looked, but there was nothing deliberate about it. Happy accidents and all that (okay, maybe not so happy for the robin that got hit by a school bus).

Okay, but that still supports my point that Lynch sees beauty in bad effects.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just finished episode six. Jesus Christ, that was fucking horrid. I can't believe the drop in quality from the first four episodes to the last two. The sequence of scenes with the drug deal/coin stuff, guys talking about smoking, then the diner scene was the worst ten minutes of my life so far this year.

Believe it or not I actually don't hate the Dougie stuff – everything else though, my god.

Just finished episode six. Jesus Christ, that was fucking horrid. I can't believe the drop in quality from the first four episodes to the last two. The sequence of scenes with the drug deal/coin stuff, guys talking about smoking, then the diner scene was the worst ten minutes of my life so far this year.

Believe it or not I actually don't hate the Dougie stuff – everything else though, my god.

It's amazing how much variation in opinion this show produces, even down to individual scenes. I'm pretty sure I could find someone who loved all those scenes but hated the Dougie stuff.

You have a great life.

Flipyap

Okay, but that still supports my point that Lynch sees beauty in bad effects.
Lynch certainly sees beauty in exposing the artifice of film, but fake isn't the same as bad (see: Silencio).
He thought the taxidermic puppet looked "great." One could argue that it was great at looking bad, but then we're back to guessing his intentions, and when talking about special effects that vary in quality as wildly as they do here, we'd have to do that for every sequence, each made by an unknown number of people, with unknown intentions.

Hello I finally saw the most recent episode, here are my thoughts:

-The Johnny Jewel track (I assume it's him during the Dougie scenes) is orgasmic
-Not Michael Pitt is weird, the drug dealer was even weirder
-Dwarf assassin murdering people while a hip-hop beat plays was weird/terrifying/hilarious
-I hope to one day find a wife like Janey-E Jones
-No Idea Jeremy Davies was in this, perfect Lynch actor
-I enjoyed the Harry Dean Stanton/mother scene
-Marry me Sharon Van Etten

This is good stuff, and I'm gonna laugh when we get a cliffhanger ending.

superfly

Funnily enough the scene between Red and Richard Horne is one of my favourites thus far.

Have you ever studied your hand?

Lynch certainly sees beauty in exposing the artifice of film, but fake isn't the same as bad (see: Silencio).
He thought the taxidermic puppet looked "great." One could argue that it was great at looking bad, but then we're back to guessing his intentions, and when talking about special effects that vary in quality as wildly as they do here, we'd have to do that for every sequence, each made by an unknown number of people, with unknown intentions.

Fake isn't the same as bad, but I'll refer you back to the quote I found where Lynch is explicitly praising "bad" art. Of course what he meant by "bad" is ambiguous.

gun_haver

It seems like the backlash is now in full swing, which I kind of expected and I don't judge people for not being into this, it's definitely not what was 'advertised' (i mean they didn't mislead people, but the nostalgia and hype takes on its own life), so if you aren't into it I encourage you to go ahead and move on, or, check back in later when the full thing has come out and you can be sure whether or not you're gonna get the satisfaction you want.

So that's all cool. I just also wanna say I really like it so far, a lot. Only a few scenes here and there don't do it for me, but most of it really does and I'm fascinated by it and where it's all going, regardless of its several minor problems. I don't really feel the need to analyse whether the simplistic graphical effects or comical extras are intentional are not, cos I am on board. I feel like it's easy to tell whether you are along with the flow of something pretty quickly, and when you are, these kinds of things don't matter one way or the other. When you aren't, suddenly it feels like they do because they stick out to you because you aren't along for the ride and you can't really point to 'there's an underlying story and aesthetic here that isn't connecting with me' as a criticism, or you can, but it feels cleaner to say 'man what's with the shitty sfx though', like that's a more legitimate complaint. When I know I don't like something, I check out right away and I don't analyse why I didn't like it, mostly. Usually it's totally obvious.

Slaythe

It seems like the backlash is now in full swing, which I kind of expected and I don't judge people for not being into this, it's definitely not what was 'advertised' (i mean they didn't mislead people, but the nostalgia and hype takes on its own life), so if you aren't into it I encourage you to go ahead and move on, or, check back in later when the full thing has come out and you can be sure whether or not you're gonna get the satisfaction you want.

So that's all cool. I just also wanna say I really like it so far, a lot. Only a few scenes here and there don't do it for me, but most of it really does and I'm fascinated by it and where it's all going, regardless of its several minor problems. I don't really feel the need to analyse whether the simplistic graphical effects or comical extras are intentional are not, cos I am on board. I feel like it's easy to tell whether you are along with the flow of something pretty quickly, and when you are, these kinds of things don't matter one way or the other. When you aren't, suddenly it feels like they do because they stick out to you because you aren't along for the ride and you can't really point to 'there's an underlying story and aesthetic here that isn't connecting with me' as a criticism, or you can, but it feels cleaner to say 'man what's with the shitty sfx though', like that's a more legitimate complaint. When I know I don't like something, I check out right away and I don't analyse why I didn't like it, mostly. Usually it's totally obvious.

Excuse me, but what ?

So if we loved the first 4 episodes (on top of loving Twin Peaks to begin with), found episode 5 to have some flaws, and episode 6 to be an absolute disaster with the exception of Kyle and Naomi, we should check out the show and stop watching now ?

That doesn't make any sense.

Bad episodes happen. It's certainly not looking good when the same mistakes happen twice in a row because it feels like what led to this was intentional and the result was iffy.

So it's more likely to keep happening.

But we're still in. At least I'm in for Cooper.

Now I'm not gonna lie to you. If Kyle wasn't in this I would give up.

But I like him and his character too much to give up.

Chumley

Banned
I don't think anyone is even thinking of checking out and moving on.

I'll be very annoyed if Sunday's episode is the same plodding tedium as Episode 6, but I'm still confident the season as a whole delivers in the end.

anaron

The Diane scene puzzles me. What was the point in the way that was done?

First they told they need to find someone and they know where she drinks. So, there's some sort of a mystery, but not really in any other way than that maybe superfans want to discuss if the woman is Diane. No other viewers really care.

Then nothing about that happens in the next episode.

In the next episode Albert goes to a bar where he ominously reveals he's looking for Diane, which, again, is not interesting to anyone else than the superfans.
We see the back of her head. The superfans anticipate who plays Diane. THe actress likely doesn't interest anyone else.

Then she slowly turns her head.
We see Laura Dern and that gets the superfans so excited. But there isn't anything more to it. She just says "hi, Albert" and that's it. And that it's Laura Dern.

It's as if the whole mystery about Diane was made for the superfans of both Twin Peaks and David Lynch. The Twin Peaks fans could be interested in seeing Diane but only Lynch superfans are interested that it's Laura Dern.

So, what's the point?

Personally for me that reveal was an anti-climax. Dern was expected and I was hoping for more surprising casting like Watts being Dougie's wife and Chrysta Bell being Tamara Preston. Everyone thought Bell would be a minor character somewhere and everyone was expecting Watts to be... well... something else than a normal housewife :D

Oh well, I'm not a Dern fan anyway so that could be one of the reasons I wasn't so excited about that reveal.

Ew what's wrong with you

Also the new sad Badalamenti piece for Dougie is so fucking gorgeous

gun_haver

Excuse me, but what ?

So if we loved the first 4 episodes (on top of loving Twin Peaks to begin with), found episode 5 to have some flaws, and episode 6 to be an absolute disaster with the exception of Kyle and Naomi, we should check out the show and stop watching now ?

Bad episodes happen. It's certainly not looking good when the same mistakes happen twice in a row because it feels like what led to this was intentional and the result was iffy.

oh, i wasn't replying to anyone in particular so if you had said 'i like this but i don't like ep 6', then i wasn't really talking about you.

i would say though that if kyle/cooper wasn't in this, i'd still be into it. no one element is necessary for me so far.

i don't think ep 6 was noticeably better or worse than any of the others so far, really. except maybe 4 which i really really liked.

The Diane scene puzzles me. What was the point in the way that was done?

First they told they need to find someone and they know where she drinks. So, there's some sort of a mystery, but not really in any other way than that maybe superfans want to discuss if the woman is Diane. No other viewers really care.

Then nothing about that happens in the next episode.

In the next episode Albert goes to a bar where he ominously reveals he's looking for Diane, which, again, is not interesting to anyone else than the superfans.
We see the back of her head. The superfans anticipate who plays Diane. THe actress likely doesn't interest anyone else.

Then she slowly turns her head.
We see Laura Dern and that gets the superfans so excited. But there isn't anything more to it. She just says "hi, Albert" and that's it. And that it's Laura Dern.

It's as if the whole mystery about Diane was made for the superfans of both Twin Peaks and David Lynch. The Twin Peaks fans could be interested in seeing Diane but only Lynch superfans are interested that it's Laura Dern.

So, what's the point?

Personally for me that reveal was an anti-climax. Dern was expected and I was hoping for more surprising casting like Watts being Dougie's wife and Chrysta Bell being Tamara Preston. Everyone thought Bell would be a minor character somewhere and everyone was expecting Watts to be... well... something else than a normal housewife :D

Oh well, I'm not a Dern fan anyway so that could be one of the reasons I wasn't so excited about that reveal.

Even though this is quite different from the original Twin Peaks seasons in the 90s, this is still season 3 of Twin Peaks. When you take that context into mind, the scene and reveal make sense since we've been hearing about Diane all through the first two seasons. It's not just a "superfan" thing.

Castorp

But how will he survive? There's a killer.....
he needs a new weapon though
I'm pretty sure braindead Coop transforms to normal Coop very soon.
"the return" can also mean "return to Twin Peaks"

pretty sure naomi watts will kill the assassin.
the "tough dame" scene may be a way to prepare us for it.

i also think the season is about the "return" of true cooper.
the rythm is slow (i love this season, maybe even more than the first two), so it will be at least 6 another episodes to make the links between dougie/evil coop/black lodge.

also, there is no investigation in this season. the only "mystery" to solve is how coop will come back himself. so it will be for the final episode. with a damn fine cup of coffee to end it all.

Real Hero

I don't think anyone is even thinking of checking out and moving on.

I'll be very annoyed if Sunday's episode is the same plodding tedium as Episode 6, but I'm still confident the season as a whole delivers in the end.
Chances are the entire series will be the same plodding tedium

Ew what's wrong with you

Also the new sad Badalamenti piece for Dougie is so fucking gorgeous

its actually by one of the Chromatics band members Johnny Jewel btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

so good. i'm enamored with this season right now tbh, i totally understand complaints about tedious pacing but its kept my attention so far. Lynch has been digging into his entire career with it and it's been fascinating imo.

also there really is nothing else like this on tv. I thought it would feel just a bit derivative considering much of the tv that has been inspired by it since but the man basically chopped up one of his new movies (a looong one) and threw it on tv. bless up.

its actually by one of the Chromatics band members Johnny Jewel btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

so good. i'm enamored with this season right now tbh, i totally understand complaints about tedious pacing but its kept my attention so far. Lynch has been digging into his entire career with it and it's been fascinating imo.

also there really is nothing else like this on tv. I thought it would feel just a bit derivative considering much of the tv that has been inspired by it since but the man basically chopped up one of his new movies (a looong one) and threw it on tv. bless up.

This is so damn good.

304-coop-thumbs-up-sonny-jim.gif

edit: Look in his eyes. It's like he was back for a second :/

Zach

I've rewatched through episode 4 now. Gah dang magic. I enjoyed my first watches, but these second watches are just a joy. The show definitely doesn't seem directionless at all, to me. And while I haven't personally been bothered by the "slow pacing" anyway, when you know what to expect in an episode, it eliminates any underlying hope for rapid plot advancement. Which makes it easier to appreciate scenes where "nothing is happening."

And you notice a lot more and things become clearer upon rewatch. At least that's how it is for me. A lot of times I don't realize that I get fixated on a moment or I'll be connecting dots after a scene which hinders my attention for the next.

I dunno. I could feel way differently by the end of this whole thing, but right now I'm giddy with how it's turned out. It's delivering. What a time to be alive.

Chitown B

Even though this is quite different from the original Twin Peaks seasons in the 90s, this is still season 3 of Twin Peaks. When you take that context into mind, the scene and reveal make sense since we've been hearing about Diane all through the first two seasons. It's not just a "superfan" thing.

exactly. the poster just seems salty because they don't like Dern.

pringles

Just caught up, god damn the last two episodes were amazing. Feels like the "real" Twin Peaks is starting to return now after the first 4 episodes being a mixed bag for me.

pretty sure naomi watts will kill the assassin.
the "tough dame" scene may be a way to prepare us for it.

i also think the season is about the "return" of true cooper.
the rythm is slow (i love this season, maybe even more than the first two), so it will be at least 6 another episodes to make the links between dougie/evil coop/black lodge.

also, there is no investigation in this season. the only "mystery" to solve is how coop will come back himself. so it will be for the final episode. with a damn fine cup of coffee to end it all.

This isn't true at all. There's the investigation involving Shaggy, Briggs's body, and there's probably going to be another murder in Twin Peaks, at least that's what the hints seem to be indicating. There's a lot more going on than what's happening with Cooper.

This isn't true at all. There's the investigation involving Shaggy, Briggs's body, and there's probably going to be another murder in Twin Peaks, at least that's what the hints seem to be indicating. There's a lot more going on than what's happening with Cooper.

And the glass box stuff

Rran

As someone who's only seen the first 4 episodes, I have no idea what to expect/ think with the next couple of episodes after skimming the past few pages (though I suppose that's to be expected w/ David Lynch anyway teehee).
Looking forward to catching up!

WriterGK

Started two days ago with the season 2 pilot. Still have to finish last twenty minutes I am a busy man. Even tough I know whodunnit its still quite awesome.Couple weeks I said here that I didnt like Audrey Horne, now I already love her not even through the pilot yet hihi. I never knew who Diane is but now I know cause of season 3.

Levito

Banned
I'm starting to think Coop might not be "Cooper" again until the very end of the show just because Lynch knows everyone wants him back so bad.

hughesta

Banned
my favorite little moment in episode 6 is so subtle. With all the little hints and pointers that spirits from the Lodge move through electricity, and the dead kids soul moving up towards a telephone wire (coupled with the same shot of the telephone pole as FWWM) it was an incredible shot to have the reflection of telephone wires in the mirror of Richard Horne's car when he washes off the blood.

Just a little moment that stuck with me.

WriterGK

Excuse me, but what ?

Excuse me? Episode 6 absolute disaster? No fucking way if you ask me. It was magnificent. And episode 5 was quite good to. The whole hit and run and the coin scene both were extraordinary. Mistake lol .

120v

my favorite little moment in episode 6 is so subtle. With all the little hints and pointers that spirits from the Lodge move through electricity, and the dead kids soul moving up towards a telephone wire (coupled with the same shot of the telephone pole as FWWM) it was an incredible shot to have the reflection of telephone wires in the mirror of Richard Horne's car when he washes off the blood.

Just a little moment that stuck with me.

that was crazy for me because i'd just finished watching FWWM the morning prior. you'd think a quarter century later little things like that would fall by the wayside but it's like lynch and frost picked up like the whole thing never ended. that's what i really appreciate about this 'season' or 'revival' or whatever you want to call it

I bet Dougie doesn't even have to worry about the assassin because he broke his favorite weapon and now he's lost the fun of it :p

I've been on blackout for the most part and just watched Ep 6 or whatever the most recent one was. So good. Never thought I'd see Diane in this show, I love it! I'm SO happy this show is back. SO happy.

One of my favorite scenes was just watching the liar through the window like he was already imprisoned, just a rat in a cage. Just a guy being pulled in all directions.

I want Cooper back so badly I feel like I'm gonna cry or orgasm or whatever if he finally does show up again. I miss you Cooper :(

I want Cooper back so badly I feel like I'm gonna cry or orgasm or whatever if he finally does show up again. I miss you Cooper :(

image.php

mjlol.png

btw guys just hours until the next one. my sources tell me that this is the episode that reveals that Sonny Jim is the key to all of this. he can bring balance to the Lodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom