• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gun_haver

It's funny how much of an adrenaline rush just the fact that most of this episodes scenes run in a direct narrative order is. Character says 'all right we've gotta do this now' and then the very next scene is them doing that. I've enjoyed all of this season and have no big complaints about how it has gone, but I had kind of expected okay so this is going to run at a contemplative, indirect pace all season and we'll get to things when we get to them. Then this episode comes and it's just a very direct thrust forward with several of the story threads, and the meeting point for them all has become much closer, while also having threads in Twin Peaks set up well for us to really see pay off when the story focuses in on there.

What I'm saying is, I think the second half of this season is going to be gatdamn brilliant when all the FBI folks are in Twin Peaks, DoppleCooper is in Twin Peaks and so is real Cooper, lucid or not, and they're all interacting with the horrific underworld that has been set up in the town along with some of our old friends like Shelly, Norma and Bobby.

See I think one major difference between this season and the old ones is that while the old ones had a major plot thread that tied in with a lot of stuff - the investigation of Laura Palmer's death - there were also a lot of loose stories that actually amounted to very little but only seemed connected up until the reveal. With this one, where the old seasons might turn to Nadine's hijinx or James' increasingly irrelevant meandering, this season just takes its sweet time with everything to do with the central plot thread, or gives us abstractions that are emotionally and tonally related but otherwise inscrutable.

I feel like we are getting close to the point where characters start to say 'we need to ge to Twin Peaks and figure out what is going on here', and Hawk and Frank will be ready to go when they arrive.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Douglas Jones moves like a cobra!

It was so good to see Doc Hayward again

Ashley Judd is aging like wine

Once again good use of hidden terror with that yokel who wanted Andy to leave only to return to the scene with a slow zoom.

I think I'M HIGHHHHHHHH

To think of how close the Coop and Diane relationship once was and the trauma that occurrd with Dopplecoop. That reunion was rough to see play out.

I hope to marry a woman with as much grit as Janey-E.

Once again good use of hidden terror with that yokel who wanted Andy to leave only to return to the scene with a slow zoom.

I might have to re watch that scene, if only because the camera work jumped out (rotating around the characters). Wonder if there's any clues in the background...

Levito

Banned
I think the only thing I didn't like from last night's episode was the sound effect they used for Cooper hitting the assassin. It was literally the chop sound from Goldeneye 64. Unintentionally hilarious.

jett

D-Member
There's cryptic and then there's this.

This show is honestly operating on a level I can't comprehend at the moment. :p

Chitown B

I think the only thing I didn't like from last night's episode was the sound effect they used for Cooper hitting the assassin. It was literally the chop sound from Goldeneye 64. Unintentionally hilarious.

likely a stock sound from decades ago. every gate that creaks in every movie has the same sound effect.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's cryptic and then there's this.

This show is honestly operating on a level I can't comprehend at the moment. :p

I bet you haven't watched Inland Empire. That's 200% Lynch.

AoM

as much of a mind fuck as it is, the show is definitely moving in a linear fashion at least, and not screwing with time lines.

Maybe not so 'screwing' with the timelines, but there's this issue with the ripped out pages and that whole deal. We'll see how they reconcile that.

PizzaFace

Banned
as much of a mind fuck as it is, the show is definitely moving in a linear fashion at least, and not screwing with time lines.

I'm not so sure, I think that scene in part 1 (or maybe 2) with Hawk approaching Glastonbury Grove takes place after he gets the diary pages that point him towards the lodge. Remember there was absolutely no real context or resolution to that scene.

PolishQ

Maybe not so 'screwing' with the timelines, but there's this issue with the ripped out pages and that whole deal. We'll see how they reconcile that.

I doubt they'll give any more of an explanation. The original series already conflicted with the movie, anyway.

I'm not so sure, I think that scene in part 1 (or maybe 2) with Hawk approaching Glastonbury Grove takes place after he gets the diary pages that point him towards the lodge. Remember there was absolutely no real context or resolution to that scene.

I think that scene happened in linear order and was just to show that Hawk knows about the entrance to the Lodge and keeps an eye on it from time to time. I mean, we just had a scene with him and Truman talking about the Lodge like it's a totally normal thing.

Ashby

I doubt they'll give any more of an explanation. The original series already conflicted with the movie, anyway.
On more than one instance. Like the series leads us to believe BOB had Leland murder Teresa but FWWM shows it was because she was gonna black mail him (???)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why the real Annie was allowed to leave the Lodge.
I always took it as the Lodge being Cooper's challenge to conquer, not Annie's. Her mind seemed to have been destroyed by the Lodge anyway.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Not reading any posts because I don't want to spoil myself yet, but I'll read quotes (I'm selfish).

I'm going to binge the new season soon because the dam of my self control is about to break. I've gotta know, is the show still fun? Coop, Cole, and the crew still being outlandish with goofy sincere smiles and standout personalities? I have no problem with it being absurdly surreal as long as it's still fun.

The more I think about it, along with all the strangeness and idiosyncrasies, what really made the show for me was the contrast between near childlike optimism and professional nonchalance in the face of horrifically supernatural and brutally human tragedy.

This ragtag team of eccentric unorthodox agents and locals enjoying coffee, pie, and local gossip while dealing with other worldly beings and the worst of human nature.

Is the show still fun? Is it time for me to get the showtime trial to binge? Should I manage my expectations?

DJ Gunner

Huh? This seemed, pretty definitively like the first time she's ever seen Mr. C. I think it's either that she loved Cooper and felt abandoned by him, or that real Cooper did something he shouldn't have with her. She still thinks Cooper is a decent person (Mr. C's lack of a heart/empathy/emotion is what tipped her off to him being a fake), so I don't think he abused her, but it's hard to say at the moment.

I've considered this, however Dale Cooper as we knew him seems incapable of doing whatever it was to Diane that has made her so upset. I also very much assumed that whatever had happened the last time they saw each other was 100% Mr. C and not Dale.

Blader

Not reading any posts because I don't want to spoil myself yet, but I'll read quotes (I'm selfish).

I'm going to binge the new season soon because the dam of my self control is about to break. I've gotta know, is the show still fun? Coop, Cole, and the crew still being outlandish with goofy sincere smiles and standout personalities? I have no problem with it being absurdly surreal as long as it's still fun.

The more I think about it, along with all the strangeness and idiosyncrasies, what really made the show for me was the contrast between near childlike optimism and professional nonchalance in the face of horrifically supernatural and brutally human tragedy.

This ragtag team of eccentric unorthodox agents and locals enjoying coffee, pie, and local gossip while dealing with other worldly beings and the worst of human nature.

Is the show still fun? Is it time for me to get the showtime trial to binge? Should I manage my expectations?
I think the show is still fun, but not in a way anyone was really expecting. Similarly, while a lot of people (myself included) are really enjoying the season, a lot of people are enjoying it much less or not enjoying it all, which I think are for perfectly valid reasons. It's a divisive experience, much more so than the first two IMO (though also not nearly as bleak or divisive as FWWM).

I think in the end you could still have fun with it, but just not in the way you're imagining it (and of course this is just based on 7 episodes so far). It's a real ymmv season.

I've considered this, however Dale Cooper as we knew him seems incapable of doing whatever it was to Diane that has made her so upset. I also very much assumed that whatever had happened the last time they saw each other was 100% Mr. C and not Dale.

The only thing that's hard to square with this not being the first time Diane has met Mr. C is that, if they had met before, she would've already noticed his lack of heart. That wouldn't be a new observation for her now.

AoM

On more than one instance. Like the series leads us to believe BOB had Leland murder Teresa but FWWM shows it was because she was gonna black mail him (???)

That's not really a timeline issue, though. The reveal in this last episode could not have happened unless they mess with the timeline (which I don't mind; I'm just curious to see whether it was deliberate or a mistake).

The show is definitely still fun and, while it is a continuation structurally from the previous season (and FWWM), tonally, it's different. How much did you care for Lynch's intervening work since Twin Peaks? If you liked Lost HIghway, Mullholland Drive and Inland Empire, then you're probably more likely to enjoy this. It's dark. It's weird. It's hilarious. It's gruesome. Sometimes all at once.

Personally- I think everyone owes it to themselves to give the new season a shot. It's too special of a thing for someone to get this much creative control over their baby on television. If you don't like it, there are always plenty of other options out there...

As a Brit, can someone explain to me why having a holiday weekend in the states stops shows from airing for the week on premium cable channels?

The only thing that's hard to square with this not being the first time Diane has met Mr. C is that, if they had met before, she would've already noticed his lack of heart. That wouldn't be a new observation for her now.

The difference is she was able to study him while he was restrained. I'm guessing he wasn't exactly standing still and talking calmly to her 25 years ago.

As a Brit, can someone explain to me why having a holiday weekend in the states stops shows from airing for the week on premium cable channels?

Gotta' remember that the US is a big place, our families tend to be scattered around the country, and we'll road trip several states away to be with family on the big holidays. Ratings suffer as a result because everyone's operating outside of their normal routine.

PolishQ

Personally, I'm constantly enthralled by the new show and find it frequently hilarious. So yeah, I'M having fun.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Was on a trip for father's day ao just caught the episode. Catching up with the discussion but some misc thoughts of mine.

-I've said this for a few parts now, but THIS episode was the closest to feeling like an episode of the original show. Partially was the pacing, quirkiness, and returning faces in the episode, but I'd even say the atmosphere was closest. I liked it but I've liked every episode so far, and appreciate how each one kind of taps into a different pool... of that makes sense.

-I know the thing in the box scared most people, but for me this soot hobo is one of the scariest things I think I've ever seen in a TV show. He's now appeared twice, and it's like he's not even acknowledged but when he appears he's so unnerving. It's almost like he's some kind of spirit caught on film who is just there. The way he sat staring at the camera in the original 2 parts and now him in the background as a black blur slowly approaching the camera as his footsteps make a disturbing sound that's getting louder and louder... I'm both intrigued and creeped out by this character.

-Loved Diane's character.

-Doppelganger Cooper was nice to see, and he's out of prison now so excited to see what comes of him.

-Andy was too trusting there but the zoom in on the door was a bit creepy.

-I still like the Dougie stuff. Action Dougie was cool. Kind of weird the Arm popped out of the ground, the way it talked and was saying "Squeeze his hand off!" REALLY reminded me of a scene from David Lynch's dumbland flash cartoon (the episode where the guy has a stick in his throat and the son keeps repeating twisted instructions for his dad to do).

-The beginning of the episode was weird since even though we're 7 hours into the new Twin Peaks it felt like the first episode that followed up directly on some events from the original series and FWWM.

-I'm still adoring the new series, I have loved each episode so far. We still have two parts to go before we're half-way through the season, but I'm already sad we're almost half-way through as I'm loving it so far. Though one more part to go and then we're on a week hiatus.

Now to catch up with the discussion.

Obscura

SQUEEZE HIS HAND OFF! SQUEEZE HIS HAND OFF!

Anyone else find it strange that the only time we've seen (the evolution of) The Arm outside the lodge was in a scene involving a little person? I hope it has reason and wasn't just a mental association Lynch made.

Also, I hate to go against literally everyone else but I can't stand Janey-E. Noami Watts is excellent in the role (her angry speed walk is perfect) but Janey-E as a person is obnoxious and rude to the extreme. The only person her anger should be directed at is her shitbag husband. Not the (admittedly scummy) loan sharks who Dougie gave his family's money to or the detectives trying to figure out how Dougie's car got where it is and blew up all without a call to the police first. Whats that saying? "You're missing the forest for the trees"? That's Janey-E in a nutshell.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
The show is definitely still fun and, while it is a continuation structurally from the previous season (and FWWM), tonally, it's different. How much did you care for Lynch's intervening work since Twin Peaks? If you liked Lost HIghway, Mullholland Drive and Inland Empire, then you're probably more likely to enjoy this. It's dark. It's weird. It's hilarious. It's gruesome. Sometimes all at once.

Personally- I think everyone owes it to themselves to give the new season a shot. It's too special of a thing for someone to get this much creative control over their baby on television. If you don't like it, there are always plenty of other options out there...

I think the show is still fun, but not in a way anyone was really expecting. Similarly, while a lot of people (myself included) are really enjoying the season, a lot of people are enjoying it much less or not enjoying it all, which I think are for perfectly valid reasons. It's a divisive experience, much more so than the first two IMO (though also not nearly as bleak or divisive as FWWM).

I think in the end you could still have fun with it, but just not in the way you're imagining it (and of course this is just based on 7 episodes so far). It's a real ymmv season.

Embarrassingly.... this is my only Lynchian experience (Don't know if Dune and Elephant Man really count). Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Inland Empire, Eraserhead, and others have been on my watchlist for a while. I'm slow in getting through them because I'm looking for someone in my circle to join me for the ride. That being said, I love surrealist art/media.

The thing that I connect so well with in twin peaks was the, relatively, lightheartedness of it. Surrealism, I feel, too often focuses around dread where this had a balancing flavor of wonder. Apparent from the get-go with coop entranced by the nature of the town. Then standing out with things like the major's dream of his son, cole experiencing hearing miracles at the site of a particular woman. This, to me, was addictingly refreshing. That being said, if it's all dark, I think I'll still enjoy it. Just trying to manage my expectations.

Personally, I'm constantly enthralled by the new show and find it frequently hilarious. So yeah, I'M having fun.

Yes but it is fun in a different way. That best way to go in is with no expectations

Thank you! This is perfectly vague and insightful. Enthralling, hilarious, differently fun, unexpected, weird. All the right words. I'll clear my expectations, plan to be scratching my head, and try to hold out a bit longer. If I can wait another month I can get the showtime free trial and binge the whole thing as it's ending.

yepyepyep

Anyone else find it strange that the only time we've seen (the evolution of) The Arm outside the lodge was in a scene involving a little person? I hope it has reason and wasn't just a mental association Lynch made.

Also, I hate to go against literally everyone else but I can't stand Janey-E. Noami Watts is excellent in the role (her angry speed walk is perfect) but Janey-E as a person is obnoxious and rude to the extreme. The only person her anger should be directed at is her shitbag husband. Not the (admittedly scummy) loan sharks who Dougie gave his family's money to or the detectives trying to figure out how Dougie's car got where it is and blew up all without a call to the police first. Whats that saying? "You're missing the forest for the trees"? That's Janey-E in a nutshell.

She's funny because the premise is ridiculous. She should be more sceptical and suspicious of Dougie's past and bizarre behaviour but instead she just accepts it and helps him around as if everything is normal.

The initial series of Twin Peaks had a lot of fun with soap opera conventions, it feels like this series is having fun with sitcom conventions during the Dougie storyline. Like a previous poster said, even the names Dougie, Janey-E and Sonny Jim are patently stupid.

Naomi Watts is great because she fully commits to a ridiculous character.

Blader

Embarrassingly.... this is my only Lynchian experience (Don't know if Dune and Elephant Man really count). Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, Inland Empire, Eraserhead, and others have been on my watchlist for a while. I'm slow in getting through them because I'm looking for someone in my circle to join me for the ride. That being said, I love surrealist art/media.

The thing that I connect so well with in twin peaks was the, relatively, lightheartedness of it. Surrealism, I feel, too often focuses around dread where this had a balancing flavor of wonder. Apparent from the get-go with coop entranced by the nature of the town. Then standing out with things like the major's dream of his son, cole experiencing hearing miracles at the site of a particular woman. This, to me, was addictingly refreshing. That being said, if it's all dark, I think I'll still enjoy it. Just trying to manage my expectations.

It's dark, but overall I'd say less dark than FWWM. There is definitely a large element of surreal lightheartedness to it, but likely not in the way you're expecting.

It's dark, but overall I'd say less dark than FWWM. There is definitely a large element of surreal lightheartedness to it, but likely not in the way you're expecting.

It's hard to compare, because FWWM was a movie. However, the first two episodes of this season were easily the most disturbing ones in the entire show for me. The shadow beast murder is burned into my retinas.

No doubt. The almost manic intensity she brings to the role is fantastic and plays so well against Dougie's comatose-like state.

The scene where she takes the money to the loan sharks was one of the best in the entire season, possibly the whole series.

Plus, she was choking the fuck outta Ike the Spike, like a true ride or die.

Obscura

She's funny because the premise is ridiculous. She should be more sceptical and suspicious of Dougie's past and bizarre behaviour but instead she just accepts it and helps him around as if everything is normal.

The initial series of Twin Peaks had a lot of fun with soap opera conventions, it feels like this series is having fun with sitcom conventions during the Dougie storyline. Like a previous poster said, even the names Dougie, Janey-E and Sonny Jim are patently stupid.

Naomi Watts is great because she fully commits to a ridiculous character.

Regarding the sitcom conventions... I'm not well versed in sitcoms but I assume you're totally right about that. I'm a huge fan of a ridiculous adult swim show called Xavier: Renegade Angel and that show has an ep (called "Going Normal") involving sitcom conventions taking place in a corporate worlplace so I can see the similarities.

The first thing you said is precisely why I can't enjoy watching her. I'm particularly biased against people who actively work against their best interests though so I guess it's my own personal shit getting in the way of enjoying her character more.

gun_haver

Debate the pacing and so on all you want, but I don't want to see my screen jammed up with people disparaging the indomitable Janey-E. She's got more than enough hassle to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom