• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda hoping it's a different dude because he did nothing for me once he came into focus.
I mean... he had a different hat! The motionless dude I fell in love with would never wear that tacky reddish-brown wool thing! You're better than this, Motionless-kun!

His hair looks longer, he might have gained weight since part 2, the jacket looks a bit different as well.

This is nightmare fuel, lol.
At first I thought the FBI agent was noticing him but then she turned around and kept talking to Munroe...uh...Ernie Hudson (^^) on the telephone. And I was like...."Oh....she doesn't see him, she can't see him. Nobody can see him besides the viewer in front of the TV." THAT was scaring me a lot, lol.

That remains a problem with FWWM though, not the new series.

I mean the new series relies on FWWM because thats the only time until this episode that we know she was told to write "the good cooper is still in the lodge"

my guess is there's some kind of time travel or escaping time involved. since even in FWWM its weird that in a prequel they give a character knowledge of something that had yet to happen

As much as I love this show, the product placement is getting a little distracting. Mercedes, Samsung, Apple, Rolex, Dell... fucking Skype!

gun_haver

As much as I love this show, the product placement is getting a little distracting. Mercedes, Samsung, Apple, Rolex, Dell... fucking Skype!

I doubt David Lynch has half a dozen product placement deals in place on his kind of obscure return to film-making after criticising product placement his entire career. Having brand names appear in something isn't product placement.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just realized that Warren Frost's (Mark Frost's father who has passed away recently) character, Doc Hayward, made his appearance on the episode that aired on Father's Day.

:(

I doubt David Lynch has half a dozen product placement deals in place on his kind of obscure return to film-making after criticising product placement his entire career. Having brand names appear in something isn't product placement.

Andy's watch, Bad Coops Mercedes in Ep 1 (the head-on shot with the lights on in particular), and the Samsung laptop the FBI have on the plane this week is all product placement. I mean, it's not House of Cards but it's definitely there.

"Nobody will hear about Joe McCluskey. Or the late Mr Strawberry" - I think motionless-kun (in motion) is Mr Strawberry, a name as unlikely for a demonic malevolent presence as.. well, Bob.

Ah! The detective at Lucky 7's face has been bugging me with its familiarity. Champ Kind!

Andy's watch, Bad Coops Mercedes in Ep 1 (the head-on shot with the lights on in particular), and the Samsung laptop the FBI have on the plane this week is all product placement. I mean, it's not House of Cards but it's definitely there.

Honestly, the product placement shouldn't come as a surprise. Showtime are producing 18 episodes, and that production budget has to come from somewhere. Showtime is not exactly a big network. I have a feeling that this is one sacrifice that David Lynch had to make while the was in negotiations with them.

I mean the new series relies on FWWM because thats the only time until this episode that we know she was told to write "the good cooper is still in the lodge"

my guess is there's some kind of time travel or escaping time involved. since even in FWWM its weird that in a prequel they give a character knowledge of something that had yet to happen

Yea, I've said before that it could have been a recurring dream. That's an easy explanation. Of course they don't have to bring it up at all.

Soot hobo is Jerry Horne. It's out of order. Jerry gets lost in woods, wanders into one of the lodges and is traveling through time and space.

And he's walking around because someone stole his car.

You know, David Lynch is a funny guy and he loves to troll people, lol. He says it's bullshit but that doesn't mean he's avoiding it or against it. All of his movies have product placement.

"Nobody will hear about Joe McCluskey. Or the late Mr Strawberry" - I think motionless-kun (in motion) is Mr Strawberry, a name as unlikely for a demonic malevolent presence as.. well, Bob.

Ah! The detective at Lucky 7's face has been bugging me with its familiarity. Champ Kind!

I doubt it's product placement. I mean we've seen Samsung PCs, Dell monitors and Microsoft Surfaces. You just don't get that with product placement deals.

We've seen clearly featured Chevys (Albert's car) and Mercedes and Jeeps (Jade's ride).

Best theory. I missed you, don't ever leave us again.

E3. Dealing with a few real life things. I'll be back very present again, don't worry.

I have to say this episode gave me a lot of hope for the rest of the season. I enjoy the slow pacing and disparate plot threads for the moment, but it's reassuring to see Lynch can and will kick the plot into high gear.

I'm leaning towards the sound in the great northern being Josie, as there's the obvious 'in the wood' connotation, but also the conversation about Cooper's room key, that Ben remembers as "the room he got shot in" which was of course by Josie.

Whether this means there's a sneaky Joan Chen cameo or it's just an easter egg... sorry, need to stop typing as the genius that is the bangbang broom scene is on...

Vectorman

Banned
So did Leo Johnson die in the woods or what? Did the book explain what happened to him or is it just something that this series isn't interested in. I really do love this season but something about not seeing enough of the town and the rest of its strange denizens 7 episodes in is sorta disappointing to me. I get that this season is Coop's story but when both he is still Dougie and the town is still not in the forefront yet, it sorta bums me out.

Flipyap

I have to say this episode gave me a lot of hope for the rest of the season. I enjoy the slow pacing and disparate plot threads for the moment, but it's reassuring to see Lynch can and will kick the plot into high gear.
It had the opposite effect on me - I'm worried that the rest of the season will only get more Frosty.
I really, really hope that after this Lynch will get to film something else where he won't have to film any material he doesn't care about. The entire Hawksplaining sequence and everything related to the military felt like it came straight out of a Frost book which Lynch would even want to discuss with him, let alone read.

The continuity errors in the diner are unfortunate, but I'm sure that's what they are. With Lynch and Kubrick, people presume that because they're so meticulous about some seemingly pointless detail in one shot, that they must be meticulous about every single thing that appears in any shot, and that every single thing must have meaning. Which is just plainly not the case. Sometimes a continuity error is just a continuity error. Sometimes a recycled shot (ONE ONE NINE, Norma in the diner) is just a recycled shot repurposed to cut things together. When they wrote the script they didn't know part 7 would need an episode's worth of diner footage to roll credits over. I'm guessing that's part and parcel of why it happened.

Although I wish they'd put Coconut by Harry Nilsson over the credits as an undeniable nod to Alan Wake.

Also I hope everyone stopped hoping for a Michael Ontkean cameo after last night. Having the same character placing a phone call to Harry (where we only hear Frank's side of the call) then placing a phone call on the same phone to Doc Hayward (where we hear Warren Frost's voice over the phone) should put those hopes firmly to bed.

Warren obviously skyped in his cameo, which I rather enjoyed. It's just not happening with Harry. Something went down during development of the show that sent him from seeming to want to get involved to staying firmly retired. Maybe one day we'll find out, but I'd say it's time to stop hoping after part 7.

So did Leo Johnson die in the woods or what? Did the book explain what happened to him or is it just something that this series isn't interested in. I really do love this season but something about not seeing enough of the town and the rest of its strange denizens 7 episodes in is sorta disappointing to me. I get that this season is Coop's story but when both he is still Dougie and the town is still not in the forefront yet, it sorta bums me out.

This is what I want to know as well but I guess he died.

Imo Twin Peaks (the town) becomes more and more the center of this season. Every path leads to Twin Peaks now.

edit: What continuity errors? I haven't noticed any errors. ^^

Warren obviously skyped in his cameo, which I rather enjoyed. It's just not happening with Harry. Something went down during development of the show that sent him from seeming to want to get involved to staying firmly retired. Maybe one day we'll find out, but I'd say it's time to stop hoping after part 7.

I feel the opposite - the more awkward Frank/Harry conversations we get, the more I feel like we'll get to see him. Perhaps he wasn't in good enough health to do the full season, and if he could only do a brief cameo then surely you'd save it for a scene with Coop?

Bowie intrigues me, because they've either got a surprise lined up or they had to write around his death during filming. I'm really curious about how that one pans out.

What did that guy at the end shout at the diner? Couldn't make it out

He was looking for someone called 'Bing'. My first guess is that's the truck owner guy, however the cast list says Riley Lynch - who did the shouting - is called 'Bing' so not sure what's going on there.

Flipyap

edit: What continuity errors? I haven't noticed any errors. ^^
WDznNyO.gif

What did that guy at the end shout at the diner? Couldn't make it out
"Hey! Has anybody seen
aMUFITd.png
?"

It had the opposite effect on me - I'm worried that the rest of the season will only get more Frosty.
I really, really hope that after this Lynch will get to film something else where he won't have to film any material he doesn't care about. The entire Hawksplaining sequence and everything related to the military felt like it came straight out of a Frost book which Lynch would even want to discuss with him, let alone read.

If you just showed someone Part 7 they'd have no idea how goddamn crazy Parts 1 through 6 are, that's for sure. I mean, I enjoyed 7 a lot... but I'm not sure it's my favorite. 6 reallllly grew on me when I rewatched it after it feeling very incomplete on first watch (another victim of the one episode a week format). I think Part 1 and 2 (as a single piece) remain my favorite so far, but 6 is close, with 7 not far behind.

Part 7 is closest to what I think people thought the new series would be like, by and large, and that's obviously pleasing some people. And frankly, I think the more people see of Coop, the more people will like it... but I hope the Lynch insanity doesn't get too watered down.

The soot guy and the sweeping sequence were full on Lynch, of course, but yeah, this felt the most like a Frost / Peyton episode of Peaks of any yet.

It's been so messed up, and so funny, and so unashamedly surreal and different, that it has absolutely surpassed my wildest expectations so far. It is the best thing I've seen on TV since the original series. I've never seen a series of TV (original series included) that felt as much like a piece of art vs a piece of entertainment. This is Lynch doing whatever the fuck he wants. Viewers be damned. I never thought to even imagine getting something like that.

It's had weaker moments. I think it's lowest points are lower than any Lynch directed episodes in the original series (and FWWM)... but over all yeah. God damn.

It's so crazy seeing gifs from the new episodes pop up so quickly over on gaming side and in other places. I've no idea how many viewers it's getting, but it sure seems to be resonating strongly with a lot of people.

Plus I guess Part 7 puts to bed the idea that we're just going to get 18 episodes tonally like Lost Highway meets Mulholland Drive. It's going to go a lot darker than the original series, that's been established, but it's bringing scenes with the same lightness the original series did too.

So much food for thought, and we've got eleven episodes left. The gap from part 8 to part 9 is going to be murder, but hey, off to the promised land next month, and it'll give us time to rewatch the first eight parts over fourth of July weekend.

Vectorman

Banned
Imo Twin Peaks (the town) becomes more and more the center of this season. Every path leads to Twin Peaks now.

I agree but now I fear we might get a case of too little, too late with certain aspects. Especially with the town and Cooper himself. There was just alot that season 2 and FWWM ended with that I felt was going to be addressed that is teased at here but not much else beyond that at this point. This show feels like it needs more episodes, another season, or another movie and I cannot help but feel like Lynch and Frost will try and explain everything last minute (or in the Final Dossier) or not at all. I love what Lynch does but his pacing with stuff can be maddening but it's hard to look away.

Joqu

As much as I'd love it I really don't think Ontkean will return. I know it'd spoil a surprise appearance, but the fact that right after that Harry phone call scene we get one with doctor Hayward where we do get to hear the other end of the line made his absence stand out all the more.

I just imagine they would have recorded his end of the calls if he did sign up for a scene. :/

Anyway, that was a great episode, I loved the pace. And Annie got mentioned! They can't leave it at that, can they? I'm not expecting a Heather Graham appearance either but they just have to address her fate now... though I'm thinking she never truly recovered.

And man, I was so sure Cooper was back with that gun scene. I've been loving the Dougie stuff but I definitely felt some disappointment there, lol.

Soot hobo is Jerry Horne. It's out of order. Jerry gets lost in woods, wanders into one of the lodges and is traveling through time and space.

Poor Jerry. You'd think Ben would have done... something after that scene, but no. Now he's forever cursed to wander around as our cutest lodge spirit.

I feel the opposite - the more awkward Frank/Harry conversations we get, the more I feel like we'll get to see him. Perhaps he wasn't in good enough health to do the full season, and if he could only do a brief cameo then surely you'd save it for a scene with Coop?

Bowie intrigues me, because they've either got a surprise lined up or they had to write around his death during filming. I'm really curious about how that one pans out.

He was looking for someone called 'Bing'. My first guess is that's the truck owner guy, however the cast list says Riley Lynch - who did the shouting - is called 'Bing' so not sure what's going on there.

Bowie seems plausible, but I think it'll be in a similar fashion to Don Davis if it happens. I'm 100% convinced Michael Ontkean isn't coming back. Again, the silent end of the phone conversation immediately followed up with one we can hear, that's clearly an old cast member cameoing, is just too awkward otherwise.

Why play Warren's side of the conversation before the Skype call? Could they not have tapped Ontkean to record a few lines of dialogue for his side of the phone calls if they had him available, as they did Catherin and Warren? Why hold it back for a 'surprise'? It seems way too much like winking at the audience, which the show has absolutely refused to do. They played Warren and Catherine's parts because they had the material.

WDznNyO.gif

"Hey! Has anybody seen
aMUFITd.png
?"

What the hell, lol. I don't know but this seems intentional to me?!
Like the scene in Blue Velvet ("Candy colored Clown") where Frank and everyone else just disappears for a second.

I agree but now I fear we might get a case of too little, too late with certain aspects. Especially with the town and Cooper himself. There was just alot that season 2 and FWWM ended with that I felt was going to be addressed that is teased at here but not much else beyond that at this point. This show feels like it needs more episodes, another season, or another movie and I cannot help but feel like Lynch and Frost will try and explain everything last minute (or in the Final Dossier) or not at all. I love what Lynch does but his pacing with stuff can be maddening but it's hard to look away.

I get what you mean but the new season is probably just not what anyone expected it to be. And that's cool. I like what Lynch is doing with this season. I mean...it's 25 years later...the "old Twin Peaks" doesn't exist anymore. Well, it's there (obviously) but it's more modern. I'm also sure that at least the last 4-5 episodes will take place in Twin Peaks. As I said before: All paths lead to Twin Peaks now, old Coop is coming back, bad coop is probably on it's way to Twin Peaks, Albert and Cole + Hawk and Frank Truman will meet pretty soon (I guess) and the Great Northern Hotel becomes more important now. And don't forget about Richard and Andy (and the murder...I'm pretty sure this guy got murdered).
Now, when I think about it...it's pretty much like the old Twin Peaks lol. It's probably still confusing that the first episodes took place outside of Twin Peaks.

What the hell, lol. I don't know but this seems intentional to me?!
Like the scene in Blue Velvet ("Candy colored Clown") where Frank and everyone else just disappears for a second.

Nah. They're totally just trying to spread out a scene in the diner with music over it.

If you want to 'justify' the continuity error then pretend it's a montage of the diner, like the Blu-ray menu screens.

Basically, I think they found out later that they needed a of minute of diner footage for the credits, and did a pick up, but couldn't get all the extras back. That's my theory.

If you just showed someone Part 7 they'd have no idea how goddamn crazy Parts 1 through 6 are, that's for sure. I mean, I enjoyed 7 a lot... but I'm not sure it's my favorite. 6 reallllly grew on me when I rewatched it after it feeling very incomplete on first watch (another victim of the one episode a week format). I think Part 1 and 2 (as a single piece) remain my favorite so far, but 6 is close, with 7 not far behind.

Part 7 is closest to what I think people thought the new series would be like, by and large, and that's obviously pleasing some people. And frankly, I think the more people see of Coop, the more people will like it... but I hope the Lynch insanity doesn't get too watered down.

The soot guy and the sweeping sequence were full on Lynch, of course, but yeah, this felt the most like a Frost / Peyton episode of Peaks of any yet.

It's been so messed up, and so funny, and so unashamedly surreal and different, that it has absolutely surpassed my wildest expectations so far. It is the best thing I've seen on TV since the original series. I've never seen a series of TV (original series included) that felt as much like a piece of art vs a piece of entertainment. This is Lynch doing whatever the fuck he wants. Viewers be damned. I never thought to even imagine getting something like that.

It's had weaker moments. I think it's lowest points are lower than any Lynch directed episodes in the original series (and FWWM)... but over all yeah. God damn.

It's so crazy seeing gifs from the new episodes pop up so quickly over on gaming side and in other places. I've no idea how many viewers it's getting, but it sure seems to be resonating strongly with a lot of people.

Plus I guess Part 7 puts to bed the idea that we're just going to get 18 episodes tonally like Lost Highway meets Mulholland Drive. It's going to go a lot darker than the original series, that's been established, but it's bringing scenes with the same lightness the original series did too.

So much food for thought, and we've got eleven episodes left. The gap from part 8 to part 9 is going to be murder, but hey, off to the promised land next month, and it'll give us time to rewatch the first eight parts over fourth of July weekend.

There are long scenes in the original series dedicated to characters talking through weird ass stuff happening around them. Most of the best ensemble sequences in the original run involved Coop and Harry talking through dreams and the supernatural/mystical elements with a bunch of different people. I'm sure that Lynch will not over-explain or water down the wonderful and strange, but it's also become increasingly obvious that Frost AND Lynch are aware that Twin Peaks was not all cryptic events without a human core, or without characters probing into what the hell is going on. There's a ton of Coopsplaining in the original run, and Hawk gave THE biggest info dump about what the Lodges are back then as well, in a very clear and direct manner.

I don't doubt that a lot of people will consider Episode 7 to be the best so far though. It's the most straightforward sequence of events, true, but it's also a pretty natural move considering the entire first "act" of this thing has been seemingly incongruous set up. The plot threads are starting to converge a bit, and Lynch/Frost are smart enough to know that you need grounding episodes, just like the original had.

HotHamBoy

Did anyone else catch that one of the interviewed bystanders at the Ike the Spike attack was comedian Stephanie Allynne of Wild Horses improv fame? (She's also married to Tig Notarro)

She's so great, they really should have given her more.

There are long scenes in the original series dedicated to character talking through weird ass stuff happening around them. Most of the best ensemble sequences in the original run involved Coop and Harry talking through dreams and the supernatural/mystical elements with a bunch of different people. I'm sure that Lynch will not over-explain or water down the wonderful and strange, but it's also become increasingly obvious that Frost AND Lynch are aware that Twin Peaks was not all cryptic events without a human core, or without characters probing into what the hell is going on. There's a ton of Coopsplaining in the original run, and Hawk gave THE biggest info dump about what the Lodges are back then as well, in a very clear and direct manner.

I don't doubt that a lot of people will consider Episode 7 to be the best so far though. It's the most straightforward sequence of events, true, but it's also a pretty natural move considering the entire first "act" of this thing has been seemingly incongruous set up. The plot threads are starting to converge a bit, and Lynch/Frost are smart enough to know that you need grounding episodes, just like the original had.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the second act will continue the more straightforward structure of Part 7. I suspect we'll still get ample scatterings of the vignette style of scenes though. I'd appreciate a mix of both, would be a bit jarring and disappointing if things completely mellow into the traditional mold of the original run, but with scenes like pavement sprouting Tree Miyagi and Soot Hobo haunting the halls of Buckhorn station something tells me we'll be fine.

Vectorman

Banned
I like what Lynch is doing with this season. I mean...it's 25 years later...the "old Twin Peaks" doesn't exist anymore. Well, it's there (obviously) but it's more modern. I'm also sure that at least the last 4-5 episodes will take place in Twin Peaks. As I said before: All paths lead to Twin Peaks now.
I like what Lynch does too. What I don't understand is the need to spread the plot and the cast out, especially when this could be considered the final season. The problem at the moment is that it feels like the show is more like Twin Peaks: Return of the Coop than it just being Twin Peaks. I mean I feel like we have been stuck at both North Dakota, New York, and Las Vegas more than the actual town itself and it's already almost halfway into this show. I guess for me I would have preferred a more focused plot around the town being corrupted and the citizens dealing with it while Coop bumbles his way back trying to escape from Bob/Doop's assassins. I want to see what the town and the old characters 25 years later interacting with new characters and new parts of TP than. Like what's up with Leo, Ghostwood, Doc and Ben's throwdown over the wife, Shelley's and Bobby's relationship, Donna herself, Ed and Nadine, James, the drug smuggling, Bookshouse boys, One Eyed Jacks etc. etc. And the show does sometimes nod at these things but that's it. And with the show already halfway done, I highly doubt that they tie up the loose ends that the show and FWWM brought up and this show just leaves us with a thinking man's ending, which is fine again but I would have again preferred a harder focus on the town itself than it being a side character at the moment. That doesn't even include the new questions that they are bringing up now with the new season. Not saying that it will be like that for the rest of the show but it's my quibble with this series at the moment. Maybe I should have really rewatched his more recent films to realize what he was going to do with this season instead of having rewatched the old seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom