• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

I started thinking what if the body was Bobby's dad due to the military and then they confirm it.

Diane and her "fuck you" lmao

AUDREY TEASES :')

Amazing episode

anaron

He's since died, unfortunately. This episode was dedicated to him. Also, he was Mark Frost's dad.
I had thought he had died before getting to film anything so his presence was shockingly welcomed but holy at him at him being Mark frost's father

Here's a weird thing, spotted by dugpa user Solitude, at the end of the episode in the RR the patrons change after Bing comes in looking for himself, the change happens after the first cut away from Norma.

C2H912h.png

Loved this episode. I'm going to miss my 5am early rise on Mondays when it's all over. Random thoughts...

I think Richard is Jerry's. Jerry also lost his car, right? That's because Richard took it and killed a child with it. Probably. I don't like the coma/rape theory, but I guess that doesn't mean it isn't where the story is going.

There's no way Ontkean doesn't appear before the series is up. He's phoned way too much.

I think the noise at the Great Northern is a Josie reference and I didn't expect that to be brought up at all.

Good spot who ever posted above that Cole was whistling Rammstein!

The credits listed Riley Lynch, anyone spot him?

The TV news part has the lady referencing a bad smell, so could be the return of engine oil.

If Bad Coop/BOB raped Diane, wouldn't he have also murdered her?

What's going on with Bill? Nothing since part 2.

The scene where the soot-covered man appeared was perfect. There was an audible low level hum that started building before he appeared, making the eventual appearance feel menacing.

Pissed myself laughing at the sweeping scene, I assumed it was going to take us through the credits.

Glad we're getting more Ben, glad we got some Laura theme again and as has been par for the course this season, I'm desperate for the next episode.

Chumley

Banned
Alright, theory time on where the plot goes from here.

Twin Peaks Sheriffs dept + Gordon and Albert get together and realize they have to bring Dopplecoop back to the Black Lodge, and once he's back Coop finally wakes up.

After that, Coop helps them solve the case of the glass box monster and the other crazy shit going on with the decapitated body.

Tonight's ep was great. I thought for a second we were going to get a Harry Truman cameo during the phone call. :(

Haven't watched any of the new season yet (waiting for episodes to build up) but I've felt deep down a small cameo probably wasn't out of the question

To each their own, but I'm enjoying watching the new Twin Peaks in weekly installments and speculation in the interim instead of binging.

I'm guessing a good many of us here are too young to have watched the original as it aired and probably binged them at some point. I'm glad to have a chance to watch a Twin Peaks series in weekly installments like people who caught the original as it aired did.

Flipyap

Here's a weird thing, spotted by dugpa user Solitude, at the end of the episode in the RR the patrons change after Bing comes in looking for himself, the change happens after the first cut away from Norma.
It's also worth pointing out that it cuts to footage of Norma from two weeks ago. All the obviously recycled (and repurposed) footage makes the show look really sloppy, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

gforguava

Having just rewatched the end of the episode, there is two different sequences being cut between.

1. It initially has Heidi waiting a table on the left and there is a dark haired man and woman sitting on the right side of the diner's counter.
  2. It cuts to a different angle and Heidi isn't where she was and everyone is different(a bald guy is where the dark haired couple was before). This is where Bing(?) comes in.
  3. Cut to Norma.
  4. Cut back to the same angle as the first shot but since Bing(?) is still here everyone is the same from the previous shot. Bing(?) leaves.
  5. Cut to Norma.
  6. Cut back to an angle matching the second but it is back to being full of the people from the first.

It is impossible to make a continuity error that big and I have no idea how it could mean anything so I am assuming Lynch is just fucking around.

bunbun777

Andy had the door open while he was waiting...

So did Janey-e.

Do people do that? Seems odd to me but not that strange. Is the door opened showing that the waiter doesn't expect to have to wait long?

Holy shit Faraday lmao

edit: what the FUCK
little dude just straight murdering people... and this music lol

My god what is HAPPENING

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The user is right, this was probably the first well put together episode of the show that actually felt like Twin Peaks.

Spoken like someone who hasn't been following Lynch in a few years. The fact that you are looking for a "feel" in anything David Lynch says more than enough.

Slaythe

Spoken like someone who hasn't been following Lynch in a few years. The fact that you are looking for a "feel" in anything David Lynch says more than enough.

Well this episode was captivating and made good use of time stretching.

The last two had a lot of issues, with the last episode being easily the worst so far.

So at least it's going back up. :)

But it gave us a ton. Diane, evil coop, Ninja Dougie, Briggs, evil coop getting out.

That's huge on top of the other scenes that weren't bad.

i hope they keep focusing on the important parts and give us the other plotlines when the show made enough progress.

Only 11 episodes left.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm just offering the views of someone who is not a Lynch fanboy but rather a fan of Twin Peaks.

And that's ok. Lynch isn't for everyone. I mean this honestly and seriously, but 90s Twin Peaks was a parody of soap operas. Look up modern Nashville and General Hospital maybe? You never know...Maybe the melodrama and straightforward storytelling you want is already out there!

And that's ok. Lynch isn't for everyone. I mean this honestly and seriously, but 90s Twin Peaks was a parody of soap operas. Look up modern Nashville and General Hospital maybe? You never know...Maybe the melodrama and straightforward storytelling you want is already out there!

The show isn't called Lynch Peaks, it's called Twin Peaks. I don't think it's unrealistic for someone who was a fan of the original show to be interested in another season. Fortunately, if the latest episode is anything to go by, things are improving in that department.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
pretty good episode. i think the last one was better by a bit.

really enjoying the whole show so far

so much of it is just funny/eccentric.

Jombie

No real need to be condescending. Lynch is one of my favorite filmmakers, but I understand where sole Twin Peaks fans are coming from.

sonto340

This is why people think Lynch fans are unbearable. You're allowed to like something and dislike things about it. Saying "well this is just how David Lynch is" isn't an actual argument against "I don't like this thing that David Lynch does"
The man doesn't need defending from every criticism, and he's not a glorious golden god who never makes a misstep. And that's okay.

Flipyap

So... this is a thing that happens. 🤔
I don't even know what to say about it, it's so weird. The windows blink pure white, so I don't think it's even trying to pretend that it was a reflection.

Chumley

Banned
Has anyone talked about that fucking spooky looking charcoal faced hobo walking in the background that we last saw during the premiere?

Between him and the glass box monster it seems like the black lodge is leaking out all kinds of monstrosities into the world.

So... this is a thing that happens. ��

I don't even know what to say about it, it's so weird. The windows blink pure white, so I don't think it's even trying to pretend that it was a reflection.

I noticed that, just put it down to Lynch's strobe fetish but probably more to it.

Anyone else notice the brooding tension building between Albert and Cole? "You heard me" followed by daggers from Gordon.

I was thinking flute fingering or something.

The ghost of Windom Earle...

I think the whole point of Diane being this way is to go against every expectation we had of Diane, including hair style lol

I think her attitude was implying that Diane and Doppel-Cooper had a bit of a bad history with each other that made her kinda bitter. Hiring Laura Dern is god damn perfect casting.

Also, Sheriff Truman has one of the greatest computer desks I have ever seen...

Pe2mEgP.gif

Chumley

Banned
I think her attitude was implying that Diane and Doppel-Cooper had a bit of a bad history with each other that made her kinda bitter. Hiring Laura Dern is god damn perfect casting.

Also, Sheriff Truman has one of the greatest computer desks I have ever seen...

Pe2mEgP.gif

Bookmarking this gif, I can see it getting some use here.

Also, I want that desk.

I think when Bob Coop's voice is tuned down, it's because it's through the mic at the prison - the electricity (and therefore connections to the Lodge) is having an effect. That's why his voice sounds normal when he's in the cell.

Also, Andy seemed noticeably less idiot-like in this episode. Perhaps he's related to the truck owner in some way?

Hahahahaha re-watching, the sound fx when Coop strikes Ike are hilarious! Like something out of The A Team...

Haven't watched yet- waiting for the full season to be done. Question for those who are watching: is the soundtrack great? Are the two vinyl releases worth it for someone who has the Twin Peaks Soundtrack and Fire Walk soundtrack on vinyl?

Just scared I'll pull the trigger, then watch the show in a few months and find out it's crap. Unlikely - I love everything Lynch - but just need a little reassurance. Is Badalamenti still on point?

Haven't watched yet- waiting for the full season to be done. Question for those who are watching: is the soundtrack great? Are the two vinyl releases worth it for someone who has the Twin Peaks Soundtrack and Fire Walk soundtrack on vinyl?

Just scared I'll pull the trigger, then watch the show in a few months and find out it's crap. Unlikely - I love everything Lynch - but just need a little reassurance. Is Badalamenti still on point?

Badalamenti is used very, very (yrev) sparingly at the moment. I'd recommend watching, because the sparse use of his music seems very deliberate.

I would honestly watch this as it shows on TV, because there's so much weirdness that there's bound to be countless surprises when it's all over, and if it's building in the way we hope, you wouldn't want that spoiled. Like the person posting above, If you do intend to watch it in one go I would definitely recommend avoiding this thread until you do so.

The soundtrack featuring music from the Roadhouse should be great.

Really can't state it enough.. watch it now. We're all on this journey back to Twin Peaks together, and personally the weekly viewing is something i'm going to really miss when it's over.

EDIT - the buzzing sound from when the soot-covered man appears returns at the end when the prison warden is watching Bad Coop leave. Could the Soot-covered man be Mr Strawberry?

Badalamenti is used very, very (yrev) sparingly at the moment. I'd recommend watching, because the sparse use of his music seems very deliberate.

yeah, the only times you really hear the original themes is when Lynch focuses on moments with the original characters at Twin Peaks. Otherwise, he really is used minimally here. The show still has an interesting soundtrack. I have no idea who some of these bands are that play at the end of specific episodes, but I would assume that these are original pieces of music for the show? I have no idea. Lynch likes to add his own remixes to the soundtrack as well.

Lynch is also the lead sound designer on this show, and the sound design is fantastic. It doesn't disappoint at all.

I would honestly watch this as it shows on TV, because there's so much weirdness that there's bound to be countless surprises when it's all over, and if it's building in the way we hope, you wouldn't want that spoiled. Like the person posting above, If you do intend to watch it in one go I would definitely recommend avoiding this thread until you do so.

The soundtrack featuring music from the Roadhouse should be great.

Really can't state it enough.. watch it now. We're all on this journey back to Twin Peaks together, and personally the weekly viewing is something i'm going to really miss when it's over.

Honestly, this is a polarizing show. There are people who don't like the direction it is going in, but for me, I think it is great. It does feel like a third act to the series and it is very consistent in what it wants to be. Honestly, it is one of my favorite shows on TV. There is something about it that I just find to be captivating.

This is why people think Lynch fans are unbearable. You're allowed to like something and dislike things about it. Saying "well this is just how David Lynch is" isn't an actual argument against "I don't like this thing that David Lynch does"
The man doesn't need defending from every criticism, and he's not a glorious golden god who never makes a misstep. And that's okay.

The previsions two seasons were a group collaboration between multiple writers and directors. Sure Lynch still dictated the direction of the series as a whole, but the weirdness was also mostly limited to his episodes. I can totally see why some of the hardcore fans maybe a bit upset, as the show wasn't always just a David Lynch production. Season 3 is really just David Lynch and a lesser extent Mark Frost. It is on the extreme end of the spectrum for this season. I think some of the back lash is understandable.

Also, the show does have it's rough spots, no doubt. It also has a few flaky actors. It is not perfect. But somehow Lynch does make this all work. I am not a big fan of David Lynch, to be honest. I find his work in this show to be fascinating. It is very much a singular vision and stays true to the rules of it's own universe. But you are getting full David Lynch all the time as apposed to Lynch in smaller doses. So take that as you will.

HotHamBoy

It's weird watching a show where almost everyone is old as fuck.

Also, that scene with the broom sweeping felt like Lynch is just straight trolling at this point.

Maybe the humming is Josie having spread from the knob to the rest of the, mostly wooden, hotel.

twin_peaks_s2e16_the_condemned_woman.jpg

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom