• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Debate the pacing and so on all you want, but I don't want to see my screen jammed up with people disparaging the indomitable Janey-E. She's got more than enough hassle to deal with.

Diane and Janey-E talking shit to each other over Dougie. This has to be seen.

Can someone explain that story with the warden? What was Cooper saying about the dog legs and the names he dropped?

Mr. Strawberry was apparently the warden's dog. At least that's what I got from it.

120v

So how did Laura write the Annie stuff in her secret diary for Leland to find and rip out when she had already handed the diary to Harold at that point?

i thought it was implicit Laura had 'slipped out of time'

which, considering Lodge lore or whatever you call it, isn't a stretch

gun_haver

Can someone explain that story with the warden? What was Cooper saying about the dog legs and the names he dropped?

Basically the Warden has some crime or incident he was involved in, involving a Joe McClusky and a Mr. Strawberry, and Evil Cooper was showing him he knows all about it. The dog might have some relevance to this thing, it isn't clear, but they are a delivery method for the information and also that if anything should happen to Evil Cooper, for the recipients of the other 3 dog legs to come and kill the warden, at the very least.

It isn't clear who the other 3 people with the dog legs are, but they could either be underworld people or something more supernatural - either way, the point was that if the warden doesn't do what cooper asks, he's fucked.

I don't think the warden's history is going to be central. Evil Cooper basically says this - 'i don't care about you, you'll never see me again' - the point is just that Evil Cooper still has a lot of things planned out and has very arcane means of making sure he gets what he wants. And now he's free.

PolishQ

Cooper sent three dog legs to three unnamed parties. Each of these people will come after the warden if anything happens to Evil Coop.

We don't know the full story about the names he dropped, but it seems that the warden did something heinous to a Mr. Strawberry in the past (likely resulting in his death) and had it covered up. Evil Coop is threatening to bring the warden's crime to light unless his demands are met.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Also I didn't catch it the first time, but at the end of the episode when the customers of the dinner switch, Shelly sees it. She looks around all confused for a good while at everybody in the place. Then she shrugs and goes on haha.

Also I didn't catch it the first time, but at the end of the episode when the customers of the dinner switch, Shelly sees it. She looks around all confused for a good while at everybody in the place. Then she shrugs and goes on haha.

You sure that's not just because someone came running in, shouted out a question and then ran away?

gun_haver

like the guy says above, i think that's her just going 'huh, somebody just opened the door and asked a question then immediately left, weird'.

the broken continuity between the first diner shot and all the others is just weird. i dunno why they'd do that, if it was intentional or at least noticed? someone pointed out some weird white flashing on the jet establishing shot this episode too, just an odd thing. it isn't beyond david lynch to intentionally keep mistakes in just for the hell of it, but i wonder if it's all supposed to intentionally create a feeling of 'something is fundamentally fucked up in this world' or if it's more like 'when the edit came in there were some weird things and we just kept them in'.

either way it isn't stuff i would have noticed if people hadn't pointed it out, but it's curious.

You sure that's not just because someone came running in, shouted out a question and then ran away?

That's how I read her reaction too.

Either we're dealing with disparate realities overlapping or that diner patron swap is one of the most egregious continuity cuts in all of TV/film. Going with the former for now despite the reused Norma footage. I feel like Lynch should've been a little less purist with the location shoot demands on the production for the sake of having more to work with (ie do a soundstage RR as well), afaik they were only at Twede's (real life RR location) for a few days total. Knowing how long it takes to get footage in general for these kind of shoots its no wonder we've seen so little of the diner so far, ditto for the reused footage. Let's hope it doesn't muck up things or make future happenings there appear too sloppy.

Arkanius

The first 8 minutes of this episode just made me feel Twin Peaks all over again
Watching Hawk speak about the Lodge and Cooper and Laura. It was perfect

Ashby

Were there ever any examples of weird cuts in the original two season that I maybe just missed/never knew about? The switching of the diner patrons between cuts is some Kubrickian shit.

I'm still around!

Anyways, Hawk is theorizing. He doesn't know how or even if those pages got to Leland. Perhaps the Tremonds got them to Leland, for example. They lived next door to Harold Smith for some reason, and they are lodge inhabitants. We've never really known their polarity either.

I doubt Hawk knows when Harold got the diary to know it was before the dream.

It's arguably a FWWM continuity problem too. Obviously Laura didn't write it in her other diary, which we'd know from the series. And obviously it was always meant to be a breadcrumb that would get found later on.

I think you can make it work with the facts we know, if you leverage the Tremonds.

Levito

Banned
I can't really subscribe to the "Windom Earle is Boop" theory anymore. Boop is far too chilling and creepy to be Windom Earle.

Flipyap

That's how I read her reaction too.

Either we're dealing with disparate realities overlapping or that diner patron swap is one of the most egregious continuity cuts in all of TV/film. Going with the former for now despite the reused Norma footage. I feel like Lynch should've been a little less purist with the location shoot demands on the production for the sake of having more to work with (ie do a soundstage RR as well), afaik they were only at Twede's (real life RR location) for a few days total. Knowing how long it takes to get footage in general for these kind of shoots its no wonder we've seen so little of the diner so far, ditto for the reused footage. Let's hope it doesn't muck up things or make future happenings there appear too sloppy.
Don't forget Janey-E's time traveling sandwich. The sandwich is the key to all of this.

Ashby

I can't really subscribe to the "Windom Earle is Boop" theory anymore. Boop is far too chilling and creepy to be Windom Earle.

Windom Earle wasn't shit. He couldn't navigate the Black Lodge and walked into a neverending existence of torture of his own freewill thinking he was this Machiavellian badass. The hair on fire scene of him in the Season 2 finale got that across to me just fine.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder how compulsive Lynch is with his editing. I can imagine editing what is to him an 18 hour movie must be a titanical effort, so it's not hard to imagine Lynch and co. committing a couple of editing errors.

I took Hawk's exposition dump as a "yeah, we're retconning this. This is what we're going with now".

I can see it kind of possible to see Leland carrying the missing diary pages as a trophy and reminder of Laura and being cornered after being brought in for the murder of Jacques Renault, resulting in the hiding of said pages. I mean we don't really see him entering the interrogation room directly after being brought in, so him asking to go to the bathroom isn't so much as a retcon as it is a way of trying to fit things together.

Levito

Banned
Not sure why that was a theory at all. Windom pretty definitely dies in the Lodge at Bob's hands.

It's cause:

1.) When Bob steals Windom's soul, Boop appears immediately behind Bob. (Still think there was a reason for this is particular though, whatever that reason may be)

2.) Boop having access to the FBI's computers would make sense if he was Windom Earle but I think it's more likely Boop just has Cooper's memories.

3.) Doppleganger's are a big part of Twin Peaks and always have been(Maddie/Laura for example). Windom Earle was kind of the antithesis to Coop.

A fine theory but it doesn't fit simply because Boop is fucking terrifying while Windom Earle was kind of a doofus.

gun_haver

I want a one hour loop of the Double R Diner to put on my second monitor like those virtual fireplaces.

haha yeah i had a thought like that too. just give us twin peaks CCTV control and we can switch between the various scenes on a one hour loop.

and then freak out when on the 18th loop of a quiet woodland scene, the soot hobo appears for 3 seconds.

Don't forget Janey-E's time traveling sandwich. The sandwich is the key to all of this.

That sandwich will save us all :p

I want a one hour loop of the Double R Diner to put on my second monitor like those virtual fireplaces.

I was just thinking last night it'd be great to have one of those Steam VR Destination hangouts for various TP locations, the diner, Roadhouse, Great Northern lobby etc. Someone already made one for the Red Room, need to check it out sometime. With photogrammetry being pretty damn good as is I'd pay good money for some professionally captured environments taken from the source.

bunbun777

Duwayne Dunham edited all 18 with David being credited with 13 episodes.

You can believe they are unintentional mistakes or intentional shots all you want until proven differently. But I feel the magic is lost a little when anybody assumes the only reason for incongruity is human error.

Wow the new episode was amazing. This really is like a looooong movie but we#re already connecting the dots.
Normal Coop is trying to get back asap it seems ....or Dougie just got upgraded by the lodge with fighting skills, lol.
So many amazing scenes and probably a new
murder
in Twin Peaks?

Flipyap

I do wonder how compulsive Lynch is with his editing. I can imagine editing what is to him an 18 hour movie must be a titanical effort, so it's not hard to imagine Lynch and co. committing a couple of editing errors.
They're not always editing errors. Lynch sometimes appears to be creating new scenes on the fly by assembling them from assorted footage (though given their frequent repetition, the footage also appears to be very limited, as if he never did enough takes).
For example, Norma was never meant to be in the diner that night (she's not in either of the two shots and when she looks up, she's actually looking at Becky, two parts ago). Since the script didn't have episode breaks, the only part of the sequence that might have been scripted was the bit with Bing. If it even was in the script, it would have to belong to some other scene which now would have to end up in a later part.

And then there are all the unplanned shots. Unless they were to hire a rock-solid fortuneteller, here's no script supervisor who could have prevented these goofs when no-one knew where these shots would fit in.
This is how Kyle MacLachlan described Lynch's approach:
9hvlI7y.png

Does anyone know who that dark guy in the morgue was? God damn that was terrifying. Was it the same "thing" from the
prison
in episode 1 (or 2?). Any Idea why it was there?

I can see it kind of possible to see Leland carrying the missing diary pages as a trophy and reminder of Laura and being cornered after being brought in for the murder of Jacques Renault, resulting in the hiding of said pages. I mean we don't really see him entering the interrogation room directly after being brought in, so him asking to go to the bathroom isn't so much as a retcon as it is a way of trying to fit things together.

The issue is the dream where she was told to write "the good cooper is still in the lodge" by annie was after she gave the book away because pages had been stolen isn't it?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does anyone know who that dark guy in the morgue was? God damn that was terrifying. Was it the same "thing" from the
prison
in episode 1 (or 2?). Any Idea why it was there?
It was the same soot hobo from the prison. I know most find the thing in the box terrifying, but right now the soot hobo is one of the creepiest things to come out of Twin Peaks for me just with the two scenes he's been in (and that's saying a lot).

I think it helps right now we know nothing about this character and it's almost like the characters in the show sense but don't see it, and just the way he moves in the hall and how he's positioned in the cell is creepy as hell. It's like it's unnatural and has nothing to do with the scenes happening, it just creepily enters scenes and no one but the viewer is aware it's there.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The soot hobo is the most scary thing right now for me. Its presence seems to announce terrible things so far.

The issue is the dream where she was told to write "the good cooper is still in the lodge" by annie was after she gave the book away because pages had been stolen isn't it?

Hm, you're right. It doesn't quite fit in.

They're not always editing errors. Lynch sometimes appears to be creating new scenes on the fly by assembling them from assorted footage (though given their frequent repetition, the footage also appears to be very limited, as if he never did enough takes).
For example, Norma was never meant to be in the diner that night (she's not in either of the two shots and when she looks up, she's actually looking at Becky, two parts ago). Since the script didn't have episode breaks, the only part of the sequence that might have been scripted was the bit with Bing. If it even was in the script, it would have to belong to some other scene which now would have to end up in a later part.

And then there are all the unplanned shots. Unless they were to hire a rock-solid fortuneteller, here's no script supervisor who could have prevented these goofs when no-one knew where these shots would fit in.
This is how Kyle MacLachlan described Lynch's approach:

Yeah, editors are really incredibly important for this media. And the way that it has worked for TP, they're pretty good, all things considered.

It was the same soot hobo from the prison. I know most find the thing in the box terrifying, but right now the soot hobo is one of the creepiest things to come out of Twin Peaks for me just with the two scenes he's been in (and that's saying a lot).

I think it helps right now we know nothing about this character and it's almost like the characters in the show sense but don't see it, and just the way he moves in the hall and how he's positioned in the cell is creepy as hell.

The scene in this episode was perfect. The Lt speaking to Winston Zedmore on the phone, before the buzzing slowly rises in the mix just enough to feel it before you're conscious of it, and then you realise it's building and getting louder as the black silhouette appears. Scenes like this are exactly why I love Lynch so much.

And the sweeping, of course.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You know, it's a shame that Kyle's career hasn't been bigger. Because this season just shows his incredible range. He definitely deserved better.

The scene in this episode was perfect. The Lt speaking to Winston Zedmore on the phone, before the buzzing slowly rises in the mix just enough to feel it before you're conscious of it, and then you realise it's building and getting louder as the black silhouette appears. Scenes like this are exactly why I love Lynch so much.

I love it because you'd think at first "maybe someone got in the take", but then the music begins and gets louder and louder and you start getting chills because you know something's off with the blurry character coming closer to the distracted woman on the phone. So fucking good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

And the sweeping, of course.
I had to do a double take as I was watching, I didn't notice the figure until the noise picked up too, but through the whole scene the figure is there in the background, getting closer and closer as she talks. I think's it's also effective the figure is mostly out of focus in the scene ao it just looks like a black shilloutte coming closer and walking in slow motion.

I actually wonder if it's related to Mr. C, at the very end of the episode when the warden is watching Mr. C leave you can hear the same sounds the Soot Hobo makes earlier getting louder as if closer in the prison scene. So far he's been in scenes revolving Briggs death, first the accused but he disappears, then Brigga body, and then it seems at the end of the episode he was just getting to the prison where Mr. C was kept.

I had to do a double take as I was watching, I didn't notice the figure until the noise picked up too, but through the whole scene the figure is there in the background, getting closer and closer as she talks. I think's it's also effective the figure is mostly out of focus in the scene ao it just looks like a black shilloutte coming closer and walking in slow motion.

I actually wonder if it's related to Mr. C, at the very end of the episode when the warden is watching Mr. C leave you can hear the same sounds the Soot Hobo makes earlier getting louder as if closer in the prison scene. So far he's been in scenes revolving Briggs death, first the accused but he disappears, then Brigga body, and then it seems at the end of the episode he was just getting to the prison where Mr. C was kept.

Already noted the reappearance of the sounds at the prison, when the warden is watching Bad Coop leave. I presume SootHobo is Mr Strawberry (or the other name mentioned in that conversation that I can't recall).

Hm, you're right. It doesn't quite fit in.
Unless you think we see every single thing that happens to Laura in FWWM, I don't see why she couldn't have visited Harold after giving him the secret diary, and written more in it.

The series establishes that people go to Harold, and write their stories, which sometimes he transcribes. Laura tells Harold she doesn't know when she can see him again, if at all, but again, it isn't crazy to think she went back at some point.

It's hardly a long stretch.

As I've said, the continuity error is really created by FWWM though, not the new series. 'Write it in your diary'. Well she doesn't write it in her public diary, because they'd have found it in the series if she had (and while the idea obviously was invented for FWWM the only diary with missing pages is the secret diary) and obviously commented on it.

So having that scene take place after the diary is delivered... it's a mistake in FWWM.

It's blatantly meant to have been written in the secret diary.

We presumes Harold tears up more of the diary when he kills himself. There is a period between the girls fleeing, and Harold being found dead. The Tremond's (or the one armed man) could have got the diary pages there.

And if the Tremonds took the diary pages, then Leland could get them any time, even before Harold killed himself, given how time seems to work in the lodge.

Well, that was the first all around great episode of the new season for me. Apparently this show is much better with as little Droop as possible. Which is also one of the reasons why I liked the first two episodes a lot better than 3-6 (with the exception of the fantastic opening fifteen minutes of episode three). It also helped that his scene had a climax and wasn't drawn out this time. I hope the pacing stays that way now, maybe they gave Lynch too many episodes, I don't know.

By the way, was Gordon Cole really whistling Rammstein's "Engel" in his office? Sounded like it to me. I know Lynch used them before, but it was still random lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rQzv8OWEY

Flipyap

I think it helps right now we know nothing about this character and it's almost like the characters in the show sense but don't see it, and just the way he moves in the hall and how he's positioned in the cell is creepy as hell.
Kinda hoping it's a different dude because he did nothing for me once he came into focus.
I mean... he had a different hat! The motionless dude I fell in love with would never wear that tacky reddish-brown wool thing! You're better than this, Motionless-kun!

His hair looks longer, he might have gained weight since part 2, the jacket looks a bit different as well.

Well, that was the first all around great episode of the new season for me. Apparently this show is much better with as little Droop as possible. Which is also one of the reasons why I liked the first two episodes a lot better than 3-6 (with the exception of the fantastic opening fifteen minutes of episode three). It also helped that his scene had a climax and wasn't drawn out this time. I hope the pacing stays that way now, maybe they gave Lynch too many episodes, I don't know.

By the way, was Gordon Cole really whistling Rammstein's "Engel" in his office? Sounded like it to me. I know Lynch used them before, but it was still random lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2rQzv8OWEY

He's a big fan apparently. I remember reading (many years ago) about the Lost Highway soundtrack that Trent Reznor produced, and apparently Lynch was insistent that Rammstein made the cut.

Zoe

The retcon is all of that stuff being written after the diary was handed off and with the pages still in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom