• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Realizing the person walking up the hall was the sooty guy from the jail in ep 1 made me feel a kind of genuine uneasiness that most horror films don't.

I have no idea why, especially given what a silly and ridiculous show this is. That's why Lynch is a master. He knows just the right combination of things to set you up and trigger you.

I think it has to do with the innate fear that comes from realizing that something is off about the world and you aren't sure what it is.

It's weird watching a show where almost everyone is old as fuck.

Also, that scene with the broom sweeping felt like Lynch is just straight trolling at this point.

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Someone above said the bang bang bar sweep up felt like an intermission, signalling the start of act 2 (considering this is supposed to be viewed as an 18 hour movie). I think that person is right.

It was also hilarious, and I found myself both expecting and wanting the credits to roll over it.

I think it has to do with the innate fear that comes from realizing that something is off about the world and you aren't sure what it is.

Not to mention his incredible sound design skills.

gun_haver

Wasn't the guy Doop left the prison with gonna screw him over? He sent that woman in the motel to murder him right?

He (Ray) and Daria were going to kill him and split 500,000 to do it. I can't remember who hired them to do so, but it was just a job and they were partners on it.

Anyway, DarkCooper found out about this and killed Daria in the hotel. I don't know if Ray knows Daria is dead, or that DarkCooper knows he is planning to kill him, but I'm sure we'll see that addressed next week. I'm pretty much expecting DarkCooper to just kill him as soon as they are out of sight of the prison.

So here's my thoughts on Ike the Spike (the hitman dwarf).

The only other dwarf we've seen in Twin Peaks is the Man from Another Place, who resides in the Black Lodge. This person, also known as The Arm, is the manifestation of Phillip Michael Gerard's arm. Gerard cut off his own arm, his killing arm, because he wanted to stop killing. This exorcised him of a certain evil and he left partnership with Bob.

So now we have a new dwarf, one that seems to kill exclusively, running around taking targets and seemingly relishing in his duties. I wonder if Ike is somebody else's "Arm"? Is he the wickedness of somebody else, having been severed from their body, and now he carries on a life of pure violence?

I don't know who he could have come from though. Just something I was thinking about. The only person we've seen with a severed body part is the body of Major Briggs, if that's even him, and I don't think Ike would he his head.

So here's my thoughts on Ike the Spike (the hitman dwarf).

The only other dwarf we've seen in Twin Peaks is the Man from Another Place, who resides in the Black Lodge. This person, also known as The Arm, is the manifestation of Phillip Michael Gerard's arm. Gerard cut off his own arm, his killing arm, because he wanted to stop killing. This exorcised him of a certain evil and he left partnership with Bob.

So now we have a new dwarf, one that seems to kill exclusively, running around taking targets and seemingly relishing in his duties. I wonder if Ike is somebody else's "Arm"? Is he the wickedness of somebody else, having been severed from their body, and now he carries on a life of pure violence?

I don't know who he could have come from though. Just something I was thinking about. The only person we've seen with a severed body part is the body of Major Briggs, if that's even him, and I don't think Ike would he his head.

I reckon it's just a dig at Mike Anderson. (M)ike the 'Spike', because of the torrent of barbed comments about Lynch. Not sure he'll be a black lodge entity or anything like that.

superfly

Maybe the humming is Josie having spread from the knob to the rest of the, mostly wooden, hotel.

twin_peaks_s2e16_the_condemned_woman.jpg

It makes sense as she was humming in the pilot.

Regarding the sweep at the roadhouse (again its not called the bang bang bar and has only ever been the roadhouse) I think there's something metaphorical in relation to the storytelling. Namely we need to be patient but what is seemingly fragmented and messy will eventually be clean.

There's also a nice contrast of waiting for the room to be cleaned only for Renault to remind us it ain't clean at all.

Kadayi

Banned
Also, Sheriff Truman has one of the greatest computer desks I have ever seen...

Pe2mEgP.gif

Yeah, that desk was great and that gif will be priceless.

Goddamn it but Evil Coop is just outright menacing when Diane is talking to him. Made me think of that line from Quint in Jaws ' The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When it comes at you, it doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites you, and those black eyes roll over white''

Also, that scene where they were in the morgue and the Shadowman was walking up out of focus. Legit tenterhooks.

Maligna

Banned
It makes sense as she was humming in the pilot.

There are a couple instances of possible Josie weirdness in the Great Northern in the last few episodes of the second season.

In one there is a humming sound near Ben Horne. He turns around shocked but we never see what he sees. The other involves Pete seemingly seeing Josie in the wood in the lobby.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think my favorite thing about new TP is the sense that Lynch really has no interest in doing more beyond this 18 episode run. It feels like a last hurrah and so he's going to take his sweet time with it.

Kadayi

Banned
Realizing the person walking up the hall was the sooty guy from the jail in ep 1 made me feel a kind of genuine uneasiness that most horror films don't.

I have no idea why, especially given what a silly and ridiculous show this is. That's why Lynch is a master. He knows just the right combination of things to set you up and trigger you.

Yeah. He has a really patient way with the camera of enabling that unease to linger that very few other directors are able to capture. I think Lynch edits when it's necessary, not when conventional film school direction wisdom dictates and that's at the heart of why he his films are so arresting.

He (Ray) and Daria were going to kill him and split 500,000 to do it. I can't remember who hired them to do so, but it was just a job and they were partners on it.

Anyway, DarkCooper found out about this and killed Daria in the hotel. I don't know if Ray knows Daria is dead, or that DarkCooper knows he is planning to kill him, but I'm sure we'll see that addressed next week. I'm pretty much expecting DarkCooper to just kill him as soon as they are out of sight of the prison.

Yeah, Evil Coop made a point of asking for a gun in the glove box and then, of course, told Ray to drive. I suspect Ray isn't long for this world once he's given Evil Coop the deets.

- Naomi Watts is the co-MVP of this show so far alongside Kyle MacLachlan. Janey-E is a wonderfully direct, aggressive, blunt character, and her choking out Ike The Spike while Dougie Coop tried to rip his hand off was a real ride or die move. Amazing.

- Diane's scenes were great. Laura Dern being a hardass is a lot of fun. For some reason the dark turn her story took still caught me by surprise. DoppleCoop leaving a path of destruction.

- More Gordon and Albert yesssssss

- Sheriff Truman's 60s retro future pop-out flatscreen was a fun little touch.

- Classic music with Andy waiting for his no-show meeting. Perfect.

- Charcoal man wandering through the morgue oh yesss.

- The howling walls of the Great Northern. Another layer on a show not lacking in unanswered questions. Josie?

- 2 minute sweeping scene reminded me of the old guy walking around in the bank in the S2 finale for like 3 minutes. Why is it there? Idk, meditation. Just roll with it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
And that's ok. Lynch isn't for everyone. I mean this honestly and seriously, but 90s Twin Peaks was a parody of soap operas. Look up modern Nashville and General Hospital maybe? You never know...Maybe the melodrama and straightforward storytelling you want is already out there!
why are you such an asshole

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
And that's ok. Lynch isn't for everyone. I mean this honestly and seriously, but 90s Twin Peaks was a parody of soap operas. Look up modern Nashville and General Hospital maybe? You never know...Maybe the melodrama and straightforward storytelling you want is already out there!

did you tip your fedora after you wrote that

moggio

Banned
The show isn't called Lynch Peaks, it's called Twin Peaks. I don't think it's unrealistic for someone who was a fan of the original show to be interested in another season. Fortunately, if the latest episode is anything to go by, things are improving in that department.

There's nothing to stop you re-watching season 1 and 2 over and over again.

Have we discussed yet how the Sheriff's Department missed these new missing pages? Hawk says in the original series finale that they found the torn-out pages along with the bloody towel in the train car. Are these the same or new missing pages?

ive been rewatching season 1 with my brother who is going through TP for the first time.

while season 1 and 3 are WIDLY different, theyve somehow started making more sense to me and fitting together.

season 1 just feels like such a product of when it was released, just so late 80s early 90s. everything about it.

then hopping forward 25 years, and i know it happened literally, but it just FEELS like the show twin peaks has aged 25 years. idk how to describe it, but watching early episodes actually makes me appreciate 3 more?

Ashby

I think my favorite thing about new TP is the sense that Lynch really has no interest in doing more beyond this 18 episode run. It feels like a last hurrah and so he's going to take his sweet time with it.

You sure about that? Could have sworn I read an interview with someone (think it was Frost?) saying they could see themselves making more Twin Peaks after this season.

ive been rewatching season 1 with my brother who is going through TP for the first time.

while season 1 and 3 are WIDLY different, theyve somehow started making more sense to me and fitting together.

season 1 just feels like such a product of when it was released, just so late 80s early 90s. everything about it.

then hopping forward 25 years, and i know it happened literally, but it just FEELS like the show twin peaks has aged 25 years. idk how to describe it, but watching early episodes actually makes me appreciate 3 more?

That's how it should be. The original run was a culmination of Lynch's career until that point. It only makes sense for this new season to be a culmination of his career up until this point.

This idea of what feels like Twin Peaks is going to be different to everyone. I remember watching the first season when it came out on DVD and then having to wait for the season 2 DVD. By the time that came out season 2 did not feel like season 1 at all to me. Then I waited a little while to watch FWWM. And that did not feel like either of the seasons. Then watching the Missing Pieces and that felt like something else. Now watching these parts and they feel like something else.

And when I rewatch the whole thing after it's finished they will all fit together and I'll slowly start forgetting how different they all felt initially.

So I'm not really thinking too much about if it feels like Twin Peaks or not. It is Twin Peaks whether I feel like it is or not. Anyone is welcome to like or dislike any or all of it.

Have we discussed yet how the Sheriff's Department missed these new missing pages? Hawk says in the original series finale that they found the torn-out pages along with the bloody towel in the train car. Are these the same or new missing pages?

New missing pages that Leland hid in the stale at some point when he was at the police station

ibrahima

Banned
I reckon the badalamenti music is going to pop up more and more often throughout the series until episode 18 is just one long "oh angelo".

gun_haver

I was looking at the avclub comments and some people are calling him droolcoop over there too.

I don't like when people call him "DroolCoop" cos 1. he doesn't drool at all, 2. it's gross to read and think about, not cute 3. it's kind of making fun of people with disabilities who do drool because coop is for all purposes mentally disabled right now and you're just making it out as a big joke by grabbing a tv tropish symptom of disability he doesn't actually have. dougie's funny but not because 'lol he's retarded'...it's just lazy, gross and kind of offensive.

anyway i probably put too much thought into that but it was bugging me

Blader

huh, I guess I totally missed out on the implication that Mr. C had raped Diane, though that makes a lot of sense. For some reason I was just thinking that Cooper and Diane had a fling at some point before he left for Twin Peaks, she was pissed that he never returned or spoke to her again afterward, and that Mr. C was either playing along with Diane (since he never really revealed anything) or was drawing on Cooper's memories for that conversation.

- Naomi Watts is the co-MVP of this show so far alongside Kyle MacLachlan. Janey-E is a wonderfully direct, aggressive, blunt character, and her choking out Ike The Spike while Dougie Coop tried to rip his hand off was a real ride or die move. Amazing.

haha yes, that was great.

Now that was a good episode. Way more concrete plot developments, building character relationships, unsettling occult elements... easily the best since the premiere. See, when Lynch gives us a genuinely engaging narrative, it makes it way less egregious that he spent over two minutes on a barkeep sweeping the floor.

huh, I guess I totally missed out on the implication that Mr. C had raped Diane, though that makes a lot of sense.

Huh? This seemed, pretty definitively like the first time she's ever seen Mr. C. I think it's either that she loved Cooper and felt abandoned by him, or that real Cooper did something he shouldn't have with her. She still thinks Cooper is a decent person (Mr. C's lack of a heart/empathy/emotion is what tipped her off to him being a fake), so I don't think he abused her, but it's hard to say at the moment.

Also, hooray for charcoal hobo returning.

PolishQ

huh, I guess I totally missed out on the implication that Mr. C had raped Diane, though that makes a lot of sense. For some reason I was just thinking that Cooper and Diane had a fling at some point before he left for Twin Peaks, she was pissed that he never returned or spoke to her again afterward, and that Mr. C was either playing along with Diane (since he never really revealed anything) or was drawing on Cooper's memories for that conversation.

I had the same interpretation.

I reckon the badalamenti music is going to pop up more and more often throughout the series until episode 18 is just one long "oh angelo".

Yeah, and more time in Twin Peaks as the plots start coming together. Since episode 2 our time spent in Twin Peaks has increased each episode (9 minutes, 10 minutes, 16 minutes, 20 minutes, 23 minutes, 25 minutes), to the point that we've seen twice as much in the past 3 episodes as we did in the 3 prior. The only other place that's still taking up a huge chunk of time is Las Vegas cos of Dougie.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You sure about that? Could have sworn I read an interview with someone (think it was Frost?) saying they could see themselves making more Twin Peaks after this season.

Maybe somethings been said, but to me it (as a show) really feels remarkably pure and uncompromised creatively.

Its not leaning hard on fan-service, and in many ways is going out of its way to baffle and infuriate new viewers... its not the work of people out to build a brand or milk a popular franchise.

I found it noteworthy that when Lynch was asked about whether there was any work left to be done on the show post the episode premier, he was super-definite about it being a complete and finished work, and it had to be that way because it had a story to tell.

This seems a very different vision to the kind of open-ended flow that was the intent of the original TP, where Lynch was against Laura's murder being solved because it was the "golden goose" that was going to lay all the story "eggs" that would make up the fabric of the show.

nachum00

I was looking at the avclub comments and some people are calling him droolcoop over there too.

I don't like when people call him "DroolCoop" cos 1. he doesn't drool at all, 2. it's gross to read and think about, not cute 3. it's kind of making fun of people with disabilities who do drool because coop is for all purposes mentally disabled right now and you're just making it out as a big joke by grabbing a tv tropish symptom of disability he doesn't actually have. dougie's funny but not because 'lol he's retarded'...it's just lazy, gross and kind of offensive.

anyway i probably put too much thought into that but it was bugging me
I don't think it's meant to be offensive. Seems more like a reference to Señor Droolcup from season 2.

So... this is a thing that happens. ��

I don't even know what to say about it, it's so weird. The windows blink pure white, so I don't think it's even trying to pretend that it was a reflection.

Wasn't sure if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing with that scene. It was very odd. Morse code maybe? But to what end?

Very enjoyable episode this one. Loved the Audrey Horne mention and hope we get to see her soon.

What's your name again?
Tammy.
Fuck you, Tammy!

Yeah!

Addi

So what happened to the truck owner? Why didn't he want to talk there and did the shot of the open door after his no-show imply that somebody (Richard?) turned up to kill him?

Reckoner

I'm not gonna lie. I miss the soap opera vibe of the original series and think that was one of the things that made everything about Twin Peaks so unique and special, but I'm glad they aren't trying to emulate that because I understand it being a thing of its time and wouldn't probably have the same impact these days.

Solo

This season continues to be amazing. Like everything is working for me. Dougie, Janey-E, DoppelCoop, it's just striking all the right notes for me.

But what I really wanted to say, especially after this episode is how absolutely-fucking-perfect this season is at deploying the Badalementi cues. Like, the first couple episodes there was almost nothing at all, which was worrying, but the longer it goes on, the more the amount of restraint shown against leaning on those cues works in it's favor. I don't think we heard Laura's theme until Bobby in Episode 4, then we got that great new composition in Episode 6, and finally more of Laura's theme in Episode 7. The spartan use of these cues makes them hit home so hard when we are treated to them.

Blader

When Doc Hayward said he last saw Cooper leaving the ICU and assumed he was just checking in on Audrey, did anyone else think that it was actually Mr. C going to find and kill Annie (and maybe retrieve the owl ring)?

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think they meant that after season 3, even if we get more Twin Peaks, we won't get more Albert & Cole action. It would have to be Cole solo.

Ah, yeah. Sad. Albert's awesome. I do hope Lynch winds this one up and then gives us something similar to Mulholland Drive TV.

Some random thoughts after watching sunday's episode...

1) It's a toss up for Janey-E Jones and Jerry Horne for series MVP for me

2) When the kid said that Ike "smelled funny", is that meant in the same way people smelt "burnt motor oil" in the original?

3) Best episode so far.

There's something unnatural about the way she moves through a scene, like she's constantly trying to model or something. Maybe it's just my eyes fixed on her, I dunno.

She seems to pose when she stands still, it's a little odd, but not sure if it's her or the character.

Ashby

When Doc Hayward said he last saw Cooper leaving the ICU and assumed he was just checking in on Audrey, did anyone else think that it was actually Mr. C going to find and kill Annie (and maybe retrieve the owl ring)?

I wonder why the real Annie was allowed to leave the Lodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom