• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDznNyO.gif

"Hey! Has anybody seen
aMUFITd.png
?"

I like to imagine that a random person came on set and shouted that while running from security.

Diane is 😍😍😍

bunbun777

The continuity errors in the diner are unfortunate, but I'm sure that's what they are. With Lynch and Kubrick, people presume that because they're so meticulous about some seemingly pointless detail in one shot, that they must be meticulous about every single thing that appears in any shot, and that every single thing must have meaning. Which is just plainly not the case. Sometimes a continuity error is just a continuity error. Sometimes a recycled shot (ONE ONE NINE, Norma in the diner) is just a recycled shot repurposed to cut things together. When they wrote the script they didn't know part 7 would need an episode's worth of diner footage to roll credits over. I'm guessing that's part and parcel of why it happened.

I'm genuinely curious as to how you came up with the certainty that the continuity errors are "unfortunately" an error. I'm not saying they aren't since I just don't know but I was wondering what info you had or how you knew. Since you said you are sure it intrigued me.

I'm genuinely curious as to how you came up with the certainty that the continuity errors are "unfortunately" an error. I'm not saying they aren't since I just don't know but I was wondering what info you had or how you knew. Since you said you are sure it intrigued me.

One big giveaway is that the two scenes are tied together by a recycled scene from a completely different episode.

I like what Lynch does too. What I don't understand is the need to spread the plot and the cast out, especially when this could be considered the final season. The problem at the moment is that it feels like the show is more like Twin Peaks: Return of the Coop than it just being Twin Peaks. I mean I feel like we have been stuck at both North Dakota, New York, and Las Vegas more than the actual town itself and it's already almost halfway into this show. I guess for me I would have preferred a more focused plot around the town being corrupted and the citizens dealing with it while Coop bumbles his way back trying to escape from Bob/Doop's assassins. I want to see what the town and the old characters 25 years later interacting with new characters and new parts of TP than. Like what's up with Leo, Ghostwood, Doc and Ben's throwdown over the wife, Shelley's and Bobby's relationship, Donna herself, Ed and Nadine, James, the drug smuggling, Bookshouse boys, One Eyed Jacks etc. etc. And the show does sometimes nod at these things but that's it. And with the show already halfway done, I highly doubt that they tie up the loose ends that the show and FWWM brought up and this show just leaves us with a thinking man's ending, which is fine again but I would have again preferred a harder focus on the town itself than it being a side character at the moment. That doesn't even include the new questions that they are bringing up now with the new season. Not saying that it will be like that for the rest of the show but it's my quibble with this series at the moment. Maybe I should have really rewatched his more recent films to realize what he was going to do with this season instead of having rewatched the old seasons.

I agree. I would love to see this as well but I think this season is pretty much the perfect. Coop solved Laura's death. He was captured in the black lodge. Bad Coop got out of it. That was the end of Season 2 (25 years ago). Now, we're seeing good Coop getting back into the real world. It's 25 years later. That's what Laura told him 25 years ago (I still can't believe it, lol). So I think it's the right decision to show Coop getting out of the lodge and becoming normal Coop again to solve the whole case. I mean the normal Coop was the main character in season 1 and season 2 and he's still the main character in season 3....even when everyone is calling him Dougie ^^
He will come back.
But there's no way that Lynch could make something like Twin Peaks 1+2 again 25 years later. And I'd love to know if he actually wrote this stuff (for Season 3) 20 years ago.

Chumley

Banned
I like what Lynch does too. What I don't understand is the need to spread the plot and the cast out, especially when this could be considered the final season. The problem at the moment is that it feels like the show is more like Twin Peaks: Return of the Coop than it just being Twin Peaks. I mean I feel like we have been stuck at both North Dakota, New York, and Las Vegas more than the actual town itself and it's already almost halfway into this show. I guess for me I would have preferred a more focused plot around the town being corrupted and the citizens dealing with it while Coop bumbles his way back trying to escape from Bob/Doop's assassins. I want to see what the town and the old characters 25 years later interacting with new characters and new parts of TP than. Like what's up with Leo, Ghostwood, Doc and Ben's throwdown over the wife, Shelley's and Bobby's relationship, Donna herself, Ed and Nadine, James, the drug smuggling, Bookshouse boys, One Eyed Jacks etc. etc. And the show does sometimes nod at these things but that's it. And with the show already halfway done, I highly doubt that they tie up the loose ends that the show and FWWM brought up and this show just leaves us with a thinking man's ending, which is fine again but I would have again preferred a harder focus on the town itself than it being a side character at the moment. That doesn't even include the new questions that they are bringing up now with the new season. Not saying that it will be like that for the rest of the show but it's my quibble with this series at the moment. Maybe I should have really rewatched his more recent films to realize what he was going to do with this season instead of having rewatched the old seasons.

It's mostly just Coop's story and focused on places outside of Twin Peaks right now, yeah. I can only hope that after the halfway point it starts realigning focus to Twin Peaks, but who knows. I just have this theory that Dark Coop goes back into the black lodge within the next 4 or 5 episodes, Coop comes back, and then the rest of it is about solving the rest of the stuff going on in Twin Peaks.

As scary as Dark Coop is I don't think him being around is sustainable for the entire season. And having some kind of face off between him and Coop seems impossible to do without being cheesy, even for Lynch.

Mainly from the fact that the episode breaks weren't planned out and were figured out in the edit. So I doubt they shot that extended diner shot to go with the guy looking for Bing. I don't have any secret info... but not everything is significant. There are lots of things in Lynch's work that don't have a deeper meaning or imperfect. We cut away to a reused shot of Norma, then back to a different shot of the diner. The reused shot is to help cover the join.

That clearly isn't how it was scripted.

Maybe the humming is Josie having spread from the knob to the rest of the, mostly wooden, hotel.

twin_peaks_s2e16_the_condemned_woman.jpg
I just watched the episode and this part of the episode stood out the most to me. I thought the hum they were hearing was going to be Josie for sure for some reason. The whole thing was giving me the creeps.

Mainly from the fact that the episode breaks weren't planned out and were figured out in the edit. So I doubt they shot that extended diner shot to go with the guy looking for Bing. I don't have any secret info... but not everything is significant. There are lots of things in Lynch's work that don't have a deeper meaning or imperfect. We cut away to a reused shot of Norma, then back to a different shot of the diner. The reused shot is to help cover the join.

That clearly isn't how it was scripted.

Yep, I'm one who thinks Lynch does a lot of crazy shit with purpose, but there are things that do come up in editing that require tricks to get what is needed. Duping scenes, reversing playback, flipping shots, whatever. Sometimes you have an idea later and "fix" it with editing. Especially when it's clear they figured out how to break these parts down after shooting was done.

I'm sure the idea of using performances was figured out well in advance, but sometimes they don't naturally work at the exact end of a Part. That's were getting the most out of other footage comes in to play.

It had the opposite effect on me - I'm worried that the rest of the season will only get more Frosty.
I really, really hope that after this Lynch will get to film something else where he won't have to film any material he doesn't care about. The entire Hawksplaining sequence and everything related to the military felt like it came straight out of a Frost book which Lynch would even want to discuss with him, let alone read.

I love Lynch's work as a director from the little I've seen - I've said many times that the S2 finale is literally one of the best things I've ever watched - but I really don't want 18 episodes of Lynch naval-gazing. I would rather have a powerful well-written experience than just one director's vanity project.

The ideal season 3 of Twin Peaks, to me, is a balanced cadence between Lynchian ponderousness and shit getting real. I want the Green Onions floor-sweeping scenes and the shovel-painting scenes, but I also want Hawksplaining and multi-scene bursts of urgency. I want it all
except the soap opera, the shitty special effects, and the insultingly manipulative and poorly written/directed moments like the dead kid.

This episode did a lot to flesh out and balance the Return, and it gives me hope that we'll be able to have our cake and eat it too.

Flipyap

There are long scenes in the original series dedicated to character talking through weird ass stuff happening around them. Most of the best ensemble sequences in the original run involved Coop and Harry talking through dreams and the supernatural/mystical elements with a bunch of different people. I'm sure that Lynch will not over-explain or water down the wonderful and strange, but it's also become increasingly obvious that Frost AND Lynch are aware that Twin Peaks was not all cryptic events without a human core, or without characters probing into what the hell is going on. There's a ton of Coopsplaining in the original run, and Hawk gave THE biggest info dump about what the Lodges are back then as well, in a very clear and direct manner.

I don't doubt that a lot of people will consider Episode 7 to be the best so far though. It's the most straightforward sequence of events, true, but it's also a pretty natural move considering the entire first "act" of this thing has been seemingly incongruous set up. The plot threads are starting to converge a bit, and Lynch/Frost are smart enough to know that you need grounding episodes, just like the original had.
Sure, scenes like those existed in the original series, but that they usually took place outside of Lynch-directed episodes. The more memorable exposition dumps were handled quite differently, also by Lynch, and they tended to have a purpose beyond delivering information.

Cooper's Sherlock moments were used to establish his skills and sometimes they were used to skip over traditional investigation dialogue, they were also genuinely endearing character moments. The recap that opens Season 2 serves its purpose, but it's also a great gag. Albert's snarky reports deepened his antagonistic relationship with... the entire world.
Season 2's finale opens with a deduction sequence mixed with Cooper's seemingly supernatural predictive abilities, further association of Margaret husband's with the supernatural elements, and our first chance to see a healthy Ronette. Compare that to the version originally scripted by Mark Frost, Harley Peyton and Robert Engels - it's just a list of clues and facts, and that's what the scenes in Part 7 felt like.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever see Lynch direct such a dry scene.
Now, Part 4's explanation of the log's message, that's a scene that felt like exposition from the best parts of classic Peaks. You get the same kind of info dump (or theoretically worse, because it's repeated information), but it's placed in the middle of an otherwise interesting and emotional scene.

Windup

Neo Member
I'm sure it's been discussed here already, but I totally lost my shit when I noticed one of the people in the crowd in the scene where the assassin attacks Coop only had one arm(unless I'm mistaken).

I'm sure it's been discussed here already, but I totally lost my shit when I noticed one of the people in the crowd in the scene where the assassin attacks Coop only had one arm(unless I'm mistaken).

My girlfriend thought so too, but if you look closely, the other arm is just covered by his open jacket. Not to say it wasn't intentionally framed that way, but he did have both arms.

hamchan

Would just like to express again how nice it is to have an increased pace with the latest episode, more music and more and more Twin Peaks the town. It's what I hoped they would do over the season and they're totally doing it.

gun_haver

I love Lynch's work as a director from the little I've seen - I've said many times that the S2 finale is literally one of the best things I've ever watched - but I really don't want 18 episodes of Lynch naval-gazing. I would rather have a powerful well-written experience than just one director's vanity project.

The ideal season 3 of Twin Peaks, to me, is a balanced cadence between Lynchian ponderousness and shit getting real. I want the Green Onions floor-sweeping scenes and the shovel-painting scenes, but I also want Hawksplaining and multi-scene bursts of urgency. I want it all
except the soap opera, the shitty special effects, and the insultingly manipulative and poorly written/directed moments like the dead kid.

This episode did a lot to flesh out and balance the Return, and it gives me hope that we'll be able to have our cake and eat it too.

i mean if you didn't like the kid getting run over just as a plot point, that's fine, but i dunno how you can say it was poorly directed. most shows would do a cut away to a bystander going 'oh my god!' at something like that. lynch just showed us point blank the kid getting run over at like 60mph.

maybe i'm just cold in this regard but it didn't really phase me, i just thought 'well richard horne you've been on the show for 2 episodes and you've fucked up irrevocably, so long'

i mean if you didn't like the kid getting run over just as a plot point, that's fine, but i dunno how you can say it was poorly directed. most shows would do a cut away to a bystander going 'oh my god!' at something like that. lynch just showed us point blank the kid getting run over at like 60mph.

maybe i'm just cold in this regard but it didn't really phase me, i just thought 'well richard horne you've been on the show for 2 episodes and you've fucked up irrevocably, so long'

I wasn't phased at all, either, which was my problem with it. A kid gets killed in front of his loving mother in a cruel twist of good will and reckless negligence, and the only thing I felt was annoyance. I couldn't even find amusement in the terrible shots of the bystanders because the whole scene was so tedious.

Chumley

Banned

What's stopping MIKE from showing up in the real world? Didn't he do that in s2 and FWWM?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just watched episode 7. Loved it, but I've been loving all of them so far for a variety of reasons.

The latest episode I was like "whoa, what's with all this straight forward plotting and answers to long standing questions?". I was getting used to weird new shit getting introduced each episode. Very funny that they waited until ep 7 to address some of the season 2 cliff hangers.

pringles

Last 3 episodes have been amazing. We're getting into the good stuff now. For some reason I just loved the scene with Andy on the forest road and the slow zoom in on the door of the truck owner's house. Simple, yet very effective.

bunbun777

So bing/billy(David's son)shows up in that diner scene twice.

Considering he is looking for himself and that he is there I have to think the 2 cuts are deliberate.

As far as I can tell no one above David said that episode had to end with the diner and it was his choice to wrap it up using two sets of shots with different actors.

So it's possible that he really wanted to edit it and only had the shots he had and thought "Ok, this will work", or it was very deliberate. I don't entertain the possibility of straight error but I don't know of course.

An okay episode, the assassination attempt was hilarious though with Coop going into ninja mode and Naomi Watts trying to help.

Still not happy Coop hasn't 'woken up' yet, wish they'd hurry the hell up.

Reckoner

The pages have been bothering me. Why would Leland hide self incriminating pages at the police station and not destroy them?

Also, 25 years have passed and no one fixed that door?

Flipyap

Okay, Bing clearly says "Hey! Anyone seen Billy?"
I knew I shouldn't have trusted Showtime's subtitles after they interpreted DUGE's "kahee" as "Hi."

The pages have been bothering me. Why would Leland hide self incriminating pages at the police station and not destroy them?

Also, 25 years have passed and no one fixed that door?

Yeah, why wouldn't he just flush them down the toilet? I can't think of a single reason why Leland would not destroy those pages.

Haha,

David Lynch "this week I'll subject my viewers to two uninterrupted minutes of mundane sweeping"

Vince Gilligan: "hold my beer while Chuck McGill unplugs everything in his house"

Airola

Obviously if he wanted to destroy them he would've burned them already.
He probably liked to keep them with him all the time for whatever perverted and deranged reason. He didn't want to get rid of them. He hid the pages to later get them back.

He was a sick, sick man.

Joqu

I will say I'm somewhat wishing they had written some sort of episode structure into this thing now, instead of Lynch shooting the script as one long movie and figuring things out in editing. It has especially made for some rather disappointing endings, this last episode included. Going with that Double R Diner scene after a pretty fast paced episode, sweeping aside, felt really awkward to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom