• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

XNarte

I know that this doesn't pertain to the last episode, but I don't remember anyone bringing this up when it did take place.

When Lucy freaked out over the cell phone and not understanding technology, I just assumed it was a way to remind us that she's still the quirky, air headed Lucy we've always known, but I finally watched all the missing pieces on the FWWM Blu Ray set, and one of the pieces specifically shows Lucy freaking out in an almost identical manner over the technology of a walkie talkie. So that scene in the earlier episode this season was actually a throwback to that.

Sorry if it was mentioned in the thread already, but I just found that interesting! (And another thing showing how closely tied FWWM and the Missing Pieces are to this season)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
People need to realize that neither Lynch nor Frost always have the characters exposition dumps be 100% reliable, just as a person's perspective in the real world isn't 100% reliable. The characters are simply sharing what they think, but just because they think that doesn't mean that's what happened or they're correct. Since this episode was more straight-forward than most, I think too many people took more at face value than they may otherwise.
This is definitely true. Thanks, Dusk.

Airola

Feels like the debris from the previous episodes is being swept into a pile.

What a great analogy!
Things are scattered around but now they are being swept back together.
It could very well be what Lynch was trying to do with that scene.

I mean, I hate that I have such a hang-up about this, but it was such a perfect punchline to the breakfast scene. We're all waiting for Cooper to rediscover coffee. Finally Janey-E sets it on the table.

Coop: "Coffee...?" ("That word rings a bell. What is this strange liquid?")
* Coop takes a sip, immediately spits it out because of its heat *
Coop: "KAHH - HEE !!" ("My mouth is on fire but oh my god I love this it's COFFEE!!!")

Seriously, try to say "coffee" while your mouth is open and without moving your tongue and it sounds exactly like what Coop said.

Well, first of all not even hot coffee forces a person to say a word without moving his mouth and tongue. If he wanted to say coffee, he could've moved his mouth and tongue and say it more properly. He could easily say the letter "F" in that word if he needed to say it. There's no need for him to say the word without the F.

Secondly, I don't hear the "KAH" part at all.

He doesn't say the word because he is keeping his mouth open. He is keeping his mouth open because he is saying the word.

And basically your explanation would also fit for the word "HOT" too.
Try saying that with your mouth open and without moving your tongue. Sounds like HI too, doesn't it? :)

Also, I hear it pronounced as "haiiii" (consonant-vowel-vowel), and if it was supposed to be kah-hee, I should hear the last part of the word pronounced as "ahiii" (vowel-consonant-vowel).

I think some people take what the character's think and say too much on face value sometimes. IE, Doc Hayward thought that Cooper went to the hospital to visit Audrey because she was in a coma, but he didn't know why he went there that's just what he was thinking at the time. Like I'm pretty sure he went to go get the owl ring and not visit Audrey, that much is pretty established (also for the 'raped Audrey' theories, I'm pretty sure Richard is Jerry's kid, which would explain why Jerry's car is missing in the beginning of the episode since after Richard ditched the car of the other guy he knew he probably took Jerry's car). In a similar vein, when the characters are discussing who stuffed the pages in the bathroom stall door, the pages in question talk about Leland since Laura when she wrote them and just learned his identity, so the police guess it was Leland who hid the pages so people wouldn't know it was him, but that's their deduction and maybe not what actually happened. If you begin to think about it this point doesn't make sense on a few points, but this is just the characters deductions since they think Leland would hide them to not reveal he was the one who did it. They might not expect the pages were planted there for them to find it as a clue to where Cooper is, and it very well may be the pages were planted there by something far more supernatural where Bob/Mr. C couldn't easily get them and where they may be found.

People need to realize that neither Lynch nor Frost always have the characters exposition dumps be 100% reliable, just as a person's perspective in the real world isn't 100% reliable. The characters are simply sharing what they think, but just because they think that doesn't mean that's what happened or they're correct. Since this episode was more straight-forward than most, I think too many people took more at face value than they may otherwise.

The Doc part was confusing. Why would he assume Coop was there to see Audrey, when he'd spent the closing scene of season two specifically asking about Annie while Doc Hayward was in the same hotel room?

Joqu

I know that this doesn't pertain to the last episode, but I don't remember anyone bringing this up when it did take place.

When Lucy freaked out over the cell phone and not understanding technology, I just assumed it was a way to remind us that she's still the quirky, air headed Lucy we've always known, but I finally watched all the missing pieces on the FWWM Blu Ray set, and one of the pieces specifically shows Lucy freaking out in an almost identical manner over the technology of a walkie talkie. So that scene in the earlier episode this season was actually a throwback to that.

Sorry if it was mentioned in the thread already, but I just found that interesting! (And another thing showing how closely tied FWWM and the Missing Pieces are to this season)

I brought this up when the episode aired, I rewatched Missing Pieces right before the season started so it was still fresh in my mind and I recognized it right away. But that's okay, it's still interesting! I know it's a bit of a divisive scene to some people but I really just loved it for the Missing Pieces acknowledgment.

I know there were some other people who caught it but I imagine most didn't, even if they did watch the deleted scenes (and I'm sure a lot of Twin Peaks fans haven't).

Which reminds me, I really loved seeing a more competent Andy this episode after his previous season 3 scenes. He's still the same old Andy around Lucy, but he has clearly become a better officer over time. :')

The Doc part was confusing. Why would he assume Coop was there to see Audrey, when he'd spent the closing scene of season two specifically asking about Annie while Doc Hayward was in the same hotel room?

Yeah, that really didn't make much sense to me. It's nice they acknowledged Audrey but even Doctor Hayward should have assumed he'd be there for Annie first and foremost. Maybe I'm missing something.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I don't know exactly what the weird aversion to Annie is in general, I mean they mentioned her this episode so she hasn't been retconned out of existence, but I hold the theory and get the feeling neither Lynch nor Frost like the character. To be fair the character was introduced when they were away from the series for a time (IE, after the killer was revealed), and it may just be me but I kind of notice that Lynch and Frost seemed to just push back everything that was introduced in the series while they were away. They work with the foundation given to them, and don't get rid of them per say, but seem to just undo what they could. Windom Earle? He's nothing, his soul is stolen by BOB in the Black Lodge. Annie? Cooper didn't really care for her, he was just associating her with Caroline, his past flame. Everyone in the Super Nadine plotline gets an unhappy ending!

But while Annie would make more sense knowing Cooper's motivations towards the end of Season 2, I'm guessing Lynch and Frost are just ignoring her character as much as possible without retconning her and I'm guessing they care more for Audrey's character than Annie's, and thus Hayward thinks Cooper went to go see Audrey. That's just my impression, though.

Eccentric, sure. Crazy/delusional enough to make up a person in his waking state? That's more of a stretch for the character, in my opinion.

Cooper tried to solve a murder case because of a dream he had, hung upside down from the rafters daily just 'cause, and had a really odd obsession with food. I think some of us have forgotten just how weird of a character Cooper was.

Real Hero

Cooper tried to solve a murder case because of a dream he had, hung upside down from the rafters daily just 'cause, and had a really odd obsession with food. I think some of us have forgotten just how weird of a character Cooper was.

Yeah he was also the sane entry point into twin peaks. Having him be actually insane like nadine wouldn't have worked.

XNarte

That was a late 80's early 90s health fad. The 1989 Batman movie played off this for a "hanging upside down like a bat" gag.

Yeah he was also the sane entry point into twin peaks. Having him be actually insane like nadine wouldn't have worked.
This is the core of my feeling on the subject. The idea of him making up a person, or personifying a tape recorder seems beyond the normal character quirks he has in the show.

Blader

Other than the possible Lynch/Frost don't care about Annie and they want to remind viewers of Audrey and her relationship with Coop (since Audrey will be in this season), and not remind everyone of Annie as a love interest (since she will not be here), it's also that Audrey is a fairly well-known person in town and things that happen to her are likelier to stick out compared to some random girl who blew into town and presumably left shortly afterward.

That was a late 80's early 90s health fad. The 1989 Batman movie played off this for a "hanging upside down like a bat" gag.

Huh. I always thought that was a dumb thing Tim Burton thought up.

Which reminds me, I really loved seeing a more competent Andy this episode after his previous season 3 scenes. He's still the same old Andy around Lucy, but he has clearly become a better officer over time. :')

Ehh.... He did just let a key suspect get (probably) murdered.

Joqu

Ehh.... He did just let a key suspect get (probably) murdered.

Hey, I said better officer, not great. He just appeared a fair bit more confident than I ever remember him being in the original seasons.

Though I dunno if I'd consider it his fault if the guy got murdered, he didn't handle it that badly.

Dimmle

It was nice to see him actually doing his job for almost the first time since the original pilot but I wouldn't describe his handling of the situation as competent. He was under no obligation to grant that suspect's request to meet him later; he's just a softie.

Joqu

It was nice to see him actually doing his job for almost the first time since the original pilot but I wouldn't describe his handling of the situation as competent. He was under no obligation to grant that suspect's request to meet him later; he's just a softie.

Yeah, I did use *more* competent for a reason, but hey maybe competent wasn't the right word.

But I don't know, I guess I just don't judge him granting that request as harshly considering it wasn't an arrest, it's obvious to the audience in hindsight but he couldn't really know things would go horribly wrong. It's soft, yes, but we're talking within the context of Andy here. :p

Flipyap

I think some people take what the character's think and say too much on face value sometimes. IE, Doc Hayward thought that Cooper went to the hospital to visit Audrey because she was in a coma, but he didn't know why he went there that's just what he was thinking at the time. (...) In a similar vein, when the characters are discussing who stuffed the pages in the bathroom stall door, the pages in question talk about Leland since Laura when she wrote them and just learned his identity, so the police guess it was Leland who hid the pages so people wouldn't know it was him, but that's their deduction and maybe not what actually happened.
It seems like a huge waste of time to have a character get into as much detail as Hawk did explaining something only to be wrong. The Hawksplaining was already rather poorly executed on everyone's part, making it also untrue would make half the scene pretty much worthless.
Scenes like that are usually written for the viewer. A large portion of The Secret History is written in a similar tone, creating similar inconsistencies and we have yet to see anything suggesting that it was misleading us on purpose (though I sure hope we'll hear something pretty soon, now that they're openly talking about Annie).

Doc Hayward's assumption is much more likely to be wrong simply because that's just a quick, natural comment and it's not presented like a solution to a puzzle, like it exists only to put the viewer's mind at ease.

Dan-o

A large portion of The Secret History is written in a similar tone

Speaking of this... I'm only partway through the book, but I do know that the agent making notes throughout is revealed to be
Tammy Preston
, but does it also reveal who The Archivist is?

When I saw Mark Frost on his book tour, he mentioned that there's, like, four levels to the book. First is the articles/documents. Second is how/when/why The Archivist compiles them and comments on them. Third is how The Agent interprets the information via their notes. And lastly, there's us, the readers. He hinted that, because of these levels, the information that we see is really only what The Agent wants us to see, so it goes down the path of possibly being one of those "unreliable narrator" sort of things. Something to think about anyway...

bunbun777

You all know I love you guys but I've been stepping out with Reddit... man there are a lot of interesting theories over there.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of this... I'm only partway through the book, but I do know that the agent making notes throughout is revealed to be
Tammy Preston
, but does it also reveal who The Archivist is?

When I saw Mark Frost on his book tour, he mentioned that there's, like, four levels to the book. First is the articles/documents. Second is how/when/why The Archivist compiles them and comments on them. Third is how The Agent interprets the information via their notes. And lastly, there's us, the readers. He hinted that, because of these levels, the information that we see is really only what The Agent wants us to see, so it goes down the path of possibly being one of those "unreliable narrator" sort of things. Something to think about anyway...

It does reveal who the Archivist is.

Joqu

You all know I love you guys but I've been stepping out with Reddit... man there are a lot of interesting theories over there.

How dare you! </3

Seriously though, there's a lot of interesting stuff out there yeah. I've been reading some of it too. I'd love to read some intriguing reddit theories though, it's not exactly a site I've got much experience with.

Speculating that given the time and attention Hawk's theory about who put the diary pages in the bathroom door and when, means that it's the official explanation for it, is too inside baseball for me... and completely ignores the numerous words Hawk uses that demonstrate that it's a theory.

If they wanted to give their official Frost/Lynch sanctioned account of how the diary pages got from A to B, why write Hawk to indicate more than once that it's speculation on his part that Leland did it, and on which occasion he visited that he did it? Hawk doesn't know when Laura took the diary to Harold Smith. He doesn't know that *that* page couldn't have been taken at the same time as the other three pages which we see Leland with in FWWM.

They hedge it on purpose. Maybe they know it doesn't really work. Like I say, it's really a problem in FWWM not Season 3, given that we know it was the intent that that page would show up, and we know Laura didn't write it in her regular diary.

Easiest explanation? It's a reoccurring element in her dreams, and she wrote it down before. Maybe FWWM is the most vivid she's had it. Maybe it's the only time it's come along with the numb arm. Maybe she always freaks out like that afterwards.

That or you go with my much more complicated theory where Laura went back and wrote in her diary at Harolds (as series two indicates some people do), and that the Tremonds took the page after Harold died, and gave it to Leland at some point. They were presumably hanging around Harold for some reason after all.

The Audrey thing to me... IF Mr C did indeed rape a comatose Audrey and get her pregnant, maybe Doc Hayward was involved in the birth and had some suspicion of this.

Otherwise, yes, it is very strange that he wouldn't presume he was there to see Annie. Unless there is something about Annie that we haven't been told, as to where she was at the time he saw Mr C leaving intensive care.

Flipyap

Speculating that given the time and attention Hawk's theory about who put the diary pages in the bathroom door and when, means that it's the official explanation for it, is too inside baseball for me... and completely ignores the numerous words Hawk uses that demonstrate that it's a theory.
But... it has to be a theory. It would be a theory even if he didn't make it clear that he isn't a clairvoyant superhero like Cooper.

Sure, he could have gotten some details wrong (he seemed particularly unsure of the date, which sounds like an admission that dates have never aligned perfectly on this show), but having Hawk deliver an entirely incorrect theory while focusing so much on the clues doesn't accomplish anything because there's already nothing else to that scene besides exposition. It doesn't deepen or alter their character dynamic, we don't even learn what Frank thinks about any of this - he doesn't even react when Hawk tells him about Cooper entering a portal to another dimension which he couldn't leave for 25 years.

I really hope Truman is going to become more of a character at some point, because right now it seems like Forster is playing the other Truman with half his lines crossed out.

Ophiuchus

Banned
The pages have been bothering me. Why would Leland hide self incriminating pages at the police station and not destroy them?

Also, 25 years have passed and no one fixed that door?

I think they were too desperate to relate this nonsense to main story.
They could have come with better idea .

It seems that some parts of this new show was written by different person.But it was certainly directed by David Lynch.

But... it has to be a theory. It would be a theory even if he didn't make it clear that he isn't a clairvoyant superhero like Cooper.

Sure, he could have gotten some details wrong (he seemed particularly unsure of the date, which sounds like an admission that dates have never aligned perfectly on this show), but having Hawk deliver an entirely incorrect theory while focusing so much on the clues doesn't accomplish anything because there's already nothing else to that scene besides exposition. It doesn't deepen or alter their character dynamic, we don't even learn what Frank thinks about any of this - he doesn't even react when Hawk tells him about Cooper entering a portal to another dimension which he couldn't leave for 25 years.

I really hope Truman is going to become more of a character at some point, because right now it seems like Forster is playing the other Truman with half his lines crossed out.

Eh, I think the exposition is for people who don't know FWWM that well, and not for those of us who know it intimately. Nothing more nothing less... but yes. That would be a bit of an odd thing for a show that hasn't seemed remotely concerned by whether or not the audience are paying attention (although NOT the only thing that this series has spelled out).

How did they get there? Fuck knows. Hawk had a theory. Wasn't sure about it. We know he's wrong. So we can speculate, but people got their memories jogged with some details about the original series and FWWM they maybe forgot, and perhaps that's the point of the scene.

I never though I'd say this, but I wonder what's up with James and I hope we get back to him. We also haven't seen Ed who is the only returning Twin Peaks character I can think of who hasn't made an appearance yet. I mean Audrey too, but I'm also curious why we haven't seen Ed yet.

ActWan

The scene with Truman and Doc Hayward just made me so happy.

Oh, and all the scenes with Bad Cooper are fucking GOAT. By far my favorite thing of the show.

Flipyap

I never though I'd say this, but I wonder what's up with James and I hope we get back to him. We also haven't seen Ed who is the only returning Twin Peaks character I can think of who hasn't made an appearance yet. I mean Audrey too, but I'm also curious why we haven't seen Ed yet.
He was in one of the teasers, so I doubt there's any reason for it besides his scenes not fitting in these early parts.

Outside of the main cast, we can still look forward to seeing (some most likely in new roles):
Jumping Man, Betty Briggs, Gersten Hayward, Sylvia Horne, Julee Cruise, Louie The Overly Excitable Great Northern Desk Clerk (also the incredible beatnik bootmaker Woman With No Name from On The Air) and of course The Cop Who Can't Spell Jaguar.

Oh! It looks like we've already seen the most important returning character - The Turcker Who Gets An HJ In The Missing Pieces:
WfaNKuI.png

He was in one of the teasers, so I doubt there's any reason for it besides his scenes not fitting in these early parts.

Outside of the main cast, we can still look forward to seeing (some most likely in new roles):
Jumping Man, Betty Briggs, Gersten Hayward, Sylvia Horne, Julee Cruise, Louie The Overly Excitable Great Northern Desk Clerk (also the incredible beatnik bootmaker Woman With No Name from On The Air) and of course The Cop Who Can't Spell Jaguar.

Oh! It looks like we've already seen the most important returning character - The Turcker Who Gets An HJ In The Missing Pieces:

Deepest lore.

Not

Banned
OK so I just binged the original series for the first time and I don't really feel like watching the movie. Kind of burnt out.

I feel like all of that could've been one 2 hour movie itself. Like keep ALL the stuff with the Black Lodge and take out all the meaningless 90's 21-ep filler

I dunno. I'm creeped out but also drained. I only want more of this world if there's more weird surreal dream shit and less townsfolk bullshit to suffer through

OK so I just binged the original series for the first time and I don't really feel like watching the movie. Kind of burnt out.

I feel like all of that could've been one 2 hour movie itself. Like keep ALL the stuff with the Black Lodge and take out all the meaningless 90's 21-ep filler

I dunno. I'm creeped out but also drained. I only want more of this world if there's more weird surreal dream shit and less townsfolk bullshit to suffer through

Then you'll definitely want to watch the movie.

So, BOB is getting killed, right? I mean, there's no other way this goes down, right? He's simply done too much shit this season, and they also implied that he's nowhere near the top dog in the Black Lodge.

Chumley

Banned
So, BOB is getting killed, right? I mean, there's no other way this goes down, right? He's simply done too much shit this season, and they also implied that he's nowhere near the top dog in the Black Lodge.

He gets thrown back into the black lodge by Truman and Hawk, then MIKE fucks him up while the arm screams about something. Book it.

Flipyap

Hiding inside the doppelganger was literally the only thing Bob did so far on this show. Remember, those are two separate entities.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel like the ending to this season will probably be unpredictable and strange, so I'm not placing my bets on anything that might go down in the series finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom