• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Also, I assume this has been discussed already, but when the no eye'd lady in episode 3 tries to stop Coop from going towards the initial vault, the sound her arms make while she waves them is the exact same as the slicing sound we hear when Tracy and box watcher bite it in episode 1. Given the timing, I'm thinking she was either somehow causing their death's in the real world OR the other creature locked up in the basement is similar to her and pursues Cooper out of the outlet only to go down the wrong one and end up in the box where the victims are, leading to their deaths. Either way, I think Coop inadvertently lead to their discovery and death at the hands of... whatever it was.

AoM

Also, I assume this has been discussed already, but when the no eye'd lady in episode 3 tries to stop Coop from going towards the initial vault, the sound her arms make while she waves them is the exact same as the slicing sound we hear when Tracy and box watcher bite it in episode 1. Given the timing, I'm thinking she was either somehow causing their death's in the real world OR the other creature locked up in the basement is similar to her and pursues Cooper out of the outlet only to go down the wrong one and end up in the box where the victims are, leading to their deaths. Either way, I think Coop inadvertently lead to their discovery and death at the hands of... whatever it was.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-BDU-TvlTg

traveler

Not Wario
Oh that's awesome. Lines up pretty well.

Also, on the subject of intimidating/scary characters being unintentionally hilarious, pretty sure the guy who appeared briefly in the prison cell drinks Bailey's from a shoe....

emkZQQ6.png

Slaythe

Heather Graham said she would have loved to take part in this revival so that better be a surprise cameo or I'm gonna be really pissed.

I don't care what y'all say about Chrysta Bell but I'm enamored with her, love watching her walk

At first when I saw the scene I thought Diane and Coop had a consensual thing and Diane was pissed because Coop essentially never came back, but maybe I wasn't thinking dark enough

The guy who came into the diner asking for Billy was on the new drugs :O

Soot guy is creepy

I loved the "you heard me." -> "Please." bit. Fantastic.

Flipyap

9oVADO6.png

Ugh, fine... I guess I'll watch it....
This kinda sucks because I was planning on skipping this one. I find that skipping random episodes really helps #KeepTheMysteryAlive.

Edit: Peter Deming is also being a huge tease.

Oh that's awesome. Lines up pretty well.

Also, on the subject of intimidating/scary characters being unintentionally hilarious, pretty sure the guy who appeared briefly in the prison cell drinks Bailey's from a shoe....

emkZQQ6.png

Another Funky Merman?! Does this mean the Boosh and Twin Peaks exist in the same 'universe'? Are Mr Susan and the mirrorworld actually an alternative character and a new type of lodge?

9oVADO6.png

This kinda sucks because I was planning on skipping this one. I find that skipping random episodes really helps #KeepTheMysteryAlive.

VY0ZGsA.gif

(a small part of me hopes that they're fucking with us and this episode is just a full hour of cleaning the Roadhouse after closing)

9oVADO6.png

What are you talking about man? Skipping random episodes 'keeps the mystery alive' only in that you're basically just depriving yourself of part of the story

This is the first I've ever heard of people doing this, lol pretty strange

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's hard to say with the nature of the show if the sudden hyping for Part 8 is all a ruse or serious, but I've loved the first 7 parts (every single one), so of course I'm excited. This episode is not the mid-season point (after Part 9 is over is when we'll officially be half-way through the season), but I was wondering if this part was going to be anything special as we're taking a week break after this episode and not the half-way point episode. Whatever the case, I'm on-board of course. I wasn't able to watch last week's episode live because I was away on a trip, but I will be able to watch this weeks.

Also prepping for the two week wait for Part 9 after tomorrow's episode.

At first when I saw the scene I thought Diane and Coop had a consensual thing and Diane was pissed because Coop essentially never came back, but maybe I wasn't thinking dark enough.
My current head canon:

It was consensual at first. Diane carried a torch for Coop and didn't realise until they were mid coitious that it wasn't him. At which point it became rape.

My current head canon:

It was consensual at first. Diane carried a torch for Coop and didn't realise until they were mid coitious that it wasn't him. At which point it became rape.

I find it odd that BOB is less murderous in Mr C though. There's no reason Diane wouldn't get Maddy'd, and if the Audrey theory is correct surely how would have killed her when he was done? Or is plot armour BOB's archilles heel?

I'm looking forward to the new episode tomorrow morning, although I think those hyping themselves up for a mid-season finale-type epsiode might be setting themselves up for disappointment. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I find it odd that BOB is less murderous in Mr C though. There's no reason Diane wouldn't get Maddy'd, and if the Audrey theory is correct surely how would have killed her when he was done? Or is plot armour BOB's archilles heel?

I'm looking forward to the new episode tomorrow morning, although I think those hyping themselves up for a mid-season finale-type epsiode might be setting themselves up for disappointment. Would love to be proven wrong though.
Bob is a passenger in Mr C, as far as I can tell. I think Mr C provides him more than enough garmonbozia to keep him from wanting to take over.

What he did to Diane clearly caused plenty.

gun_haver

Yeah I'm not getting too excited for anything mind-blowing beyond what we've seen tonight. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the episode is as good as last week's and very happy if it's even better.

Slaythe

Yeah I'm not getting too excited for anything mind-blowing beyond what we've seen tonight. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the episode is as good as last week's and very happy if it's even better.

I mean, last week was rather huge and heavy in terms of advancement and answers.

Airola

Bob is a passenger in Mr C, as far as I can tell. I think Mr C provides him more than enough garmonbozia to keep him from wanting to take over.

I like to think that Bob has really been a passenger in other bodies too. I mean, I'm not sure if Bob is really about the possession of people as it is more about being "with" someone, like a parasite just as Mike said when he was explaining what Bob is. I think when Bob said Leland has been a good vehicle and he had enjoyed the ride, he meant he has been a passenger there too. He is there for the rush of the ride.

Like Bob said in FWWM, he wants to taste through Laura's mouth. He is not the one who would do the eating, but as someone else does it for him, he tastes it. Spiritually it's Bob who feels the core of what punching people is all about, but physically it's someone else doing the punch.

I mean, I think that when Bob kills, it's not he who punches with the fist that is under his direct control. But he is there to move along with the punch and enjoying whatever is happening.

But of course as his influence is great, it's might as well be him who is doing the punches because people act on the influence, but then again I think people might have the power to resist it too, although it's extremely hard as it is with any addiction where habits and withdrawal symptoms and stuff like that is tough to resist, so it's not really him who is in complete control of the actions when people kill or do anything bad.

It could be that Bob really never "takes over."
Of course this season could prove me wrong at some point though.
But it's just that Lynch has always talked about Bob being with someone instead of saying he is in control or is possessing someone. I think the word "with" is very important in understanding what Bob is all about and I think it has always been about him being with someone rather than having taken over someone.

I like to think that Bob has really been a passenger in other bodies too. I mean, I'm not sure if Bob is really about the possession of people as it is more about being "with" someone, like a parasite just as Mike said when he was explaining what Bob is. I think when Bob said Leland has been a good vehicle and he had enjoyed the ride, he meant he has been a passenger there too. He is there for the rush of the ride.

Like Bob said in FWWM, he wants to taste through Laura's mouth. He is not the one who would do the eating, but as someone else does it for him, he tastes it. Spiritually it's Bob who feels the core of what punching people is all about, but physically it's someone else doing the punch.

I mean, I think that when Bob kills, it's not he who punches with the fist that is under his direct control. But he is there to move along with the punch and enjoying whatever is happening.

But of course as his influence is great, it's might as well be him who is doing the punches because people act on the influence, but then again I think people might have the power to resist it too, although it's extremely hard as it is with any addiction where habits and withdrawal symptoms and stuff like that is tough to resist, so it's not really him who is in complete control of the actions when people kill or do anything bad.

It could be that Bob really never "takes over."
Of course this season could prove me wrong at some point though.
But it's just that Lynch has always talked about Bob being with someone instead of saying he is in control or is possessing someone. I think the word "with" is very important in understanding what Bob is all about and I think it has always been about him being with someone rather than having taken over someone.
Yeah, the way I take it, is Bob wants garmonbozia. If his host is providing that, he'll just sit back and enjoy it, but if not he'll influence and poison and even take over if needs be. Plus I still think he is compelled to kill people who wear the clothes of his former victims, but we haven't seen any of that yet this season.

Considering last week started pulling threads together, from past and present Twin Peaks, this episode has a lot of statisfying ways to go.

It can keep the trend of last week of revealing and moving forward quickly, introduce more new things, or both. I would be shocked if it just "dragged out" established plot lines.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh my god.

Is "Diane" actually Annie??

(---)

Her experience with the Lodge and whatever happened with Evil Coop after would explain her current attitude...

Judging by The Missing Pieces footage, Diane had the same type of attitude back then as well.

big ander

It would be nice if the episode before the break really went for it and sent the story to the second-half arc, but I can imagine lynch not caring about the scheduling like that at all
Another break ?!

Oh god no.

Coop better be back today then.
This is the first break though

They didn’t write the show anticipating any kind of break. It’ll be no different than usual.

Nah, it'll end on a cliffhanger.

Sonny Jim sat on the toilet, a bomb in the cistern. "Cut the blue wire!" screams Janey-E to Dougie/Coop who, with wire cutters in hand, starts to snip. "Cut blue wire." he repeats, with a slightly confused look on his face. "Not that one, you fu..." Janey-E shouts as the screen quickly fades to black.

Kadayi

Banned
Sonny Jim sat on the toilet, a bomb in the cistern. "Cut the blue wire!" screams Janey-E to Dougie/Coop who, with wire cutters in hand, starts to snip. "Cut blue wire." he repeats, with a slightly confused look on his face. "Not that one, you fu..." Janey-E shouts as the screen quickly fades to black.

Nah..that's season finale material :)

I just finished EP7 and i think it was one of the best ones yet imo. I don't remember for sure or not, but i feel like it was the first episode that used a classic Twin Peaks theme during the show. The darker slower version of the theme plays while Andy is standing in the middle of the road. Even if it wasn't, it was effective in a way that made it stand out in a way that allot of Season 3's episodes haven't. Don't get me wrong, im loving this season. : )

Futureman

I just finished EP7 and i think it was one of the best ones yet imo. I don't remember for sure or not, but i feel like it was the first episode that used a classic Twin Peaks theme during the show. The darker slower version of the theme plays while Andy is standing in the middle of the road. Even if it wasn't, it was effective in a way that made it stand out in a way that allot of Season 3's episodes haven't. Don't get me wrong, im loving this season. : )

Whenever Bobby sees the photo of Laura in the police station they play the ominous Peaks music.

Cannnn't wait for tonight's episode.

Whenever Bobby sees the photo of Laura in the police station they play the ominous Peaks music.

Cannnn't wait for tonight's episode.

I was able to remember that scene after i posted that. Funny enough, both scenes stand out as being emotionally effective. Goes to show you how impactful the music is of the old show.

gun_haver

Yeah, the one thing I would say, now that we're about 40% of the way through this thing, is that the spare use of score is one choice I wish they had reconsidered. The score that is there has been very effective, sure, and they've used a decent amount of soundtrack music, but I want more original score in here. Not plastered over absolutely every scene, but there have been several scenes which I think would have benefited from it.

I think the stuff with Evil Cooper and the spawling case of the Major is fine without score - it makes it feel cold and dark, as it should, but there have been other times in the other plot threads where saucing it up with a little mood score would have added something. Doesn't even have to be the old music - actually I was hoping for a bunch of new Badalamenti tracks in this series but it doesn't seem like we're going to get them.

They could even have just used the Windswept album by Johnny Jewel a bit more. The song Windswept itself has been used very well. Imagine the scenes of Cooper pouring over those insurance files without the music. The music is telling you that he is tapping into something deep when he's doing it, without the music it would have been less.

Twin Peaks has always been about atmosphere largely so I'm a bit confused as to why they have gone so dry when it comes to score this time. It's not a HUGE issue, but I can't deny I'm left wanting it.

(Got this from Reddit) According to Kyle we're in for a surprise tonight

https://meduza.io/feature/2017/06/22/glavnaya-zagadka-novogo-tvin-piksa-kto-takoy-dagi
1256 (Russian Source)
Well, David ... yes, he was busy with different things if he wanted to add something to the scene, usually it was some kind of design element. He could spend a lot of time on this. He did something. I can not tell, because it will just be in the next episode. But he worked on something for one of the characters. And for a few days no one knew what he was doing - until finally he gave up and told what it was and what it was for. And we then thought: "Ah, well, now it's clear." Also, I think it was he who came up with the shape of a ship that is on top of a glass box hovering in space.

Here's something I've been meaning to ask for ages: Is there anyone here who watched the original run of the show as it aired?

If so, who did you think was the killer?

I feel like Ben, Jerry, James, Harold and Andy (nobody suspects the comic relief) seemed like strong suspects during my initial viewing. Leland seemed a little fishy too, before he killed Jaques and Lynch cleverly pretended to be taking him in a different direction.

I love the music that Johnny Jewel has been making for Twin Peaks, so melancholic and reflective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

Didn't even realise but he released an LP which supposedly is all music that will be used in Season 3 aside from Dougie's Theme (Windswept) and Chromatics "Shadow". Looking forward to hearing the rest, he's been doing a fantastic job so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom