• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OG re-watch continues. I'm already knee-deep in John Justice-Wheeler, grievin' Harry and Windom Earle's terrible disguises. Cooper can see all kindsa' shit yet he doesn't notice his nemesis sat across the other side of the RR in a silly biker outfit.

Waiting for Gordon to show up and reinstate Coop, signifying the home-straight and put me out of this misery.

EDIT: Thaaaank fuck. "AAAGEEEENNNT DALE COOPER!"

HotHamBoy

Here's something I've been meaning to ask for ages: Is there anyone here who watched the original run of the show as it aired?

If so, who did you think was the killer?

I feel like Ben, Jerry, James, Harold and Andy (nobody suspects the comic relief) seemed like strong suspects during my initial viewing. Leland seemed a little fishy too, before he killed Jaques and Lynch cleverly pretended to be taking him in a different direction.

I was 4 years old so no.

I actually don't know anyone who did, my mom said she thought it was stupid.

Jocund

I love the music that Johnny Jewel has been making for Twin Peaks, so melancholic and reflective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

Didn't even realise but he released an LP which supposedly is all music that will be used in Season 3 aside from Dougie's Theme (Windswept) and Chromatics "Shadow". Looking forward to hearing the rest, he's been doing a fantastic job so far.

Everyone ought to buy Windswept (the LP) it's so good :(

It's literally a dollar

Flipyap

Oh, hey, it looks like the Experiment Model is playing with a little floating gold orb. Is that somebody's soul-ball, or just some kind of a supernatural fidget spinner?

7740aiM.gif

traveler

Not Wario
I don't have showtime but I do have the trial addition to Amazon Prime, which is how I watched the first 7 episodes of the Return. Does anyone know what time the episodes are usually added to Amazon after/during airing?

thenexus6

UK peeps, when does this usually hit Now TV? Bang on middnight or later I am working tomorrow night so can't watch it like I normally do on Monday evenings.

PizzaFace

Banned
UK peeps, when does this usually hit Now TV? Bang on middnight or later I am working tomorrow night so can't watch it like I normally do on Monday evenings.

Can't say exactly, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't go up at midnight. It airs at 2AM on Sky Atlantic so I'd imagine it goes up around 3/4AM.

Anybody think we'll ever get anything even hinting to what happened to Agent Desmond?

Well since Phillip Jeffries has been referenced so heavily, never say never, I guess. But really, isn't the consensus that he got the ring and then vanished into the Lodge somewhere? He's still missing as far as we know. And didn't Tammy find a file that referenced him too?

The real question is will Kiefer Sutherland show up as former FBI Agent Sam Stanley? :p

Live at 2am, but I usually wake up around 6 and watch it then. There was one week it seemed to take a while to appear for streaming but generally it's good.

If this happens to not be the final season, they will need someone to replace Albert. I think they would use Sam Stanley in some capacity.

It would be awful if this wasn't the end of Twin Peaks. We've seen in post-Leland season 2 what happens when the show loses sight of a clear end goal.

Ashby

Pretty LTTP on this one but The Missing Pieces is (are?) excellent. God, all the issues I had with FWWM would have been alleviated by so many of these scenes.

Saw it mentioned somewhere that Windom Earle's theme plays over the credits parallel with the juke box song in the diner.

Not sure if that's been brought up here.

Joqu

Pretty LTTP on this one but The Missing Pieces is (are?) excellent. God, all the issues I had with FWWM would have been alleviated by so many of these scenes.

I told you it's great. I can't relate that much with the second half of your post since I personally really adore FWWM as is, but there truly is a wealth of amazing material hidden away in The Missing Pieces that every Peaks fan should experience. Perhaps you could seek out the extended fan edit in the future since you feel that way though, I do enjoy that cut a lot.

Saw it mentioned somewhere that Windom Earle's theme plays over the credits parallel with the juke box song in the diner.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty noticeable! I don't think it means anything Earle specific, but it certainly gave the diner credits a bit of a sinister touch.

I mean it was obviously done on purpose, they deliberately made that choice and while I agree it's probably not any meaning with that character, as you said it gave it a sinister feel AND it comes just before the last episode before a break.

Math was never my forte, but yeah. I think some shit is about to go down.

The airplane windows were playing Earle's flute music!

edit: I think the diner Sleep Walk ending might be my favorite credit roll of the new season. Moreso than Shadow, even. It's simultaneously incredibly familiar and soothing and also creepy and foreboding.

Speaking of FWWM, I thought the Twin Peaks series soundtrack was grand- but FWWM is a whole other level of incredible. It's so smokey and jazzy and extended, wonderfully deep riffs on series mainstays. It immediately jumped above the original's collated release imo

Levito

Banned
Speaking of FWWM, I thought the Twin Peaks series soundtrack was grand- but FWWM is a whole other level of incredible. It's so smokey and jazzy and extended, wonderfully deep riffs on series mainstays. It immediately jumped above the original's collated release imo

It still blows my mind that Twin Peaks fans hated that movie when it came out. I think it's amazing.

Didn't Lynch despise Windom though? Strange..
Windom was perfect. His wacky, over-the-top antics were right at home with Lynch's cast of silly soap opera characters, his creepy psychopath behavior was right at home with the darker side of Twin Peaks, and he played right into the show's doppleganger/reflection theme.

Plus, it was super satisfying to see the wacky soap opera side of Twin Peaks get symbolically blown the fuck out by the Black Lodge when BOB chumped Windom.

Lynch is probably just bitter that he couldn't come up with such a fitting character himself.
Hopefully this is the episode where the tease is over and we get some real Twin Peaks with Cooper.

"real Twin Peaks" c'mon now.

Hopefully this is the episode where the tease is over and we get some real Twin Peaks with Cooper.

Same. I absolutely HATED the Dougie bits when they first started. The whole character is the ultimate extension of a trope I hate. I've gotten used to it now, and it's more tolerable, and I even like it from time to time, but if we got real Coop, that would be amazing.

Levito

Banned
I just watched Episode' 7's credits to listen for Windom Earle's theme... It's hard to hear but it's definitely there. How folks notice that blows my mind. hah

lmao I saw it opening weekend at sunrise mall

keep my name out ya mouth bruh

It you were old enough to see FWIW opening weekend, you're too old to be calling me 'bruh'.

Joqu

Yes, I feel the same way. The FWWM soundtrack is truly wonderful, I especially adore that main theme.

Disappointed isn't the right word because I like what season 3 has been doing with its sound, but I've certainly been longing for some extended periods of brand new Badalamenti music for that reason, and I haven't gotten any so far. I really want to know how it would sound now, and if it would resemble that FWWM feeling. I'm still hoping at least one season 3 episode will give me a taste of that though.

The airplane windows were playing Earle's flute music!

...Are you kidding or is that really what those window flashes turned out to be?? They've been bothering me so much.

Yes, I feel the same way. The FWWM soundtrack is truly wonderful, I especially adore that main theme.

Disappointed isn't the right word because I like what season 3 has been doing with its sound, but I've certainly been longing for some extended periods of brand new Badalamenti music for that reason, and I haven't gotten any so far. I really want to know how it would sound now, and if it would resemble that FWWM feeling. I'm still hoping at least one season 3 episode will give me a taste of that though.

...Are you kidding or is that really what those window flashes turned out to be?? They've been bothering me so much.
We have had new Badalmenti music, I thought. Episode 5. The scene with Coop looking at Sonny-Jim and the elevator scene with the coffee cups.

Thought they were both new Badalmenti compositions. Was I wrong?

I just watched Episode' 7's credits to listen for Windom Earle's theme... It's hard to hear but it's definitely there. How folks notice that blows my mind. hah

It you were old enough to see FWIW opening weekend, you're too old to be calling me 'bruh'.

bruh is ageless
I said it the day they got baby jessica out the well. I said "bruh. that's a fucken miracle."

Joqu

Only kidding :p The mystery yet remains.

Oh well!

It's clearly something considering people dug up the original footage. But what

https://youtu.be/R4k-2-AgEVI?t=30s

We have had new Badalmenti music, I thought. Episode 5. The scene with Coop looking at Sonny-Jim and the elevator scene with the coffee cups.

Thought they were both new Badalmenti compositions. Was I wrong?

Oh no, you're right. We have had new Badalamenti music. I just don't think we've had enough to get a proper taste of his new work.

I watched Twin Peaks in 2004 or so and when I watched the movie immediately after the finale I was disappointed. If you go in to it with the desire to see answers and a continuation it’s disappointing. I get why there was a backlash from some people. You watch it now in the current context and it’s a great film.

Joqu

Even if we have to wait for the score to get released I'm actually okay with that.

Hm, I am hoping we get at least one Badalamenti heavy episode at some point, but I do appreciate the approach we've been seeing so far and I won't be too disappointed if it sticks with it for the entire season.

Though in regards of the release of the score, I'm a bit worried he just didn't compose that much new material this time.

Flipyap

If this happens to not be the final season, they will need someone to replace Albert. I think they would use Sam Stanley in some capacity.
If you're suggesting turning adorable dork Sam into the comical asshole archetype, I think the show has enough of those already. I mean, Diane is already pretty much Albert without the wit. Also a more foul-mouthed Irene (of Hap's Diner fame).

Windom was perfect. His wacky, over-the-top antics were right at home with Lynch's cast of silly soap opera characters, his creepy psychopath behavior was right at home with the darker side of Twin Peaks, and he played right into the show's doppleganger/reflection theme.
The darker side of Twin Peaks involves incest. This is a guy who wears novelty horse costumes.

The darker side of Twin Peaks involves incest. This is a guy who wears novelty horse costumes.

The ridiculous costumes and wacky contrivances - like the giant chess piece - were the soap opera side of Twin Peaks. His psychological torture and conditioning of Leo and the way he effortlessly invaded all of Cooper's safe spaces were more the dark side of Twin Peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom